Macros don't work in shared workbook?

I could have sworn they did in others that I've used where the workbook is
shared.  Is there anything I should be looking at?

I fully understand that we can't view or edit them when they're shared, but
the macros should work, shouldn't they?  It would defeat the purpose of
having them, I would have thought.  So obviously, I'm missing something.
But what ... that's the question <g>.

0
noSpam9680 (54)
9/11/2007 2:03:49 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

In general, macros should work in shared workbook--if the user allows macros to
run(!).

But maybe your macros are trying to do illegal stuff in that shared workbook and
you're masking the error--so it looks like they're not working?

on error resume next
activesheet.unprotect password:="hi"

would look like it didn't run.

--

Dave Peterson
0
> In general, macros should work in shared workbook--if the user allows
> macros to
> run(!).
>
> But maybe your macros are trying to do illegal stuff in that shared
> workbook and
> you're masking the error--so it looks like they're not working?
>
> on error resume next
> activesheet.unprotect password:="hi"
>
> would look like it didn't run.
>
> StargateFanFromWork wrote:
>>
>> I could have sworn they did in others that I've used where the workbook
>> is
>> shared.  Is there anything I should be looking at?
>>
>> I fully understand that we can't view or edit them when they're shared,
>> but
>> the macros should work, shouldn't they?  It would defeat the purpose of
>> having them, I would have thought.  So obviously, I'm missing something.
>> But what ... that's the question <g>.
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

Hmm, I understand.  And looking over this again, I may be doing something
"illegal" in terms of the macro code.  Here are all the macros in the sheet:
Sub AddNEWentry_NO_SORT()
'
    Cells(ActiveCell.Row, "B").Select     'this extra row for better
worksheet view
    Range("A1").Select
    Selection.End(xlDown).Select
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
End Sub
Sub AddNEWentry_SortINVOICElog()
'
ActiveSheet.Unprotect             'place at the beginning of the code
    Application.Goto Reference:="R1C1"
'----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
' SORTING section of code:

    Selection.SORT Key1:=Range("D2"), Order1:=xlAscending, Key2:=Range("B2")
_
        , Order2:=xlAscending, Key3:=Range("A2"), Order3:=xlAscending,
Header:= _
        xlGuess, OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False,
Orientation:=xlTopToBottom

    Selection.SORT Key1:=Range("A2"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlGuess,
_
        OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom
'----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cells(ActiveCell.Row, "B").Select     'this extra row for better
worksheet view
    Range("A1").Select
    Selection.End(xlDown).Select
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
ActiveSheet.Protect    'place at the end of the code
End Sub
Sub GoToBeginningOfRow()
ActiveSheet.Unprotect             'place at the beginning of the code
    Cells(ActiveCell.Row, "B").Select     'this extra row for better
worksheet view
    Cells(ActiveCell.Row, "A").Select
' Re-protects sheet in case anything unprotects it, yet allows vb
functioning to remain.
    With ActiveSheet
       .Protect UserInterfaceOnly:=True
    End With
ActiveSheet.Protect    'place at the end of the code
End Sub

I get the error:

"Run-time error '1004':
Unprotect method of Worksheet class failed."

I hadn't seen the reference to "unprotect" earlier.  I guess XL doesn't like
to unprotect shared workbooks?  But if we don't unprotect, the sort won't
happen and users can really screw up the workbook, too.

Anyway, are there any solutions?

Thanks!  :oD

0
noSpam9680 (54)
9/11/2007 4:00:56 PM
You can't change the protection of a worksheet in a shared workbook.

You're going to have to make a choice of either leaving the worksheet
unprotected or not sharing the workbook--or use some sort of workaround?

Copy the values to another worksheet (unprotected)
and allow the user to sort to their heart's content????

--

Dave Peterson
0
> You can't change the protection of a worksheet in a shared workbook.
>
> You're going to have to make a choice of either leaving the worksheet
> unprotected or not sharing the workbook--or use some sort of workaround?
>
> Copy the values to another worksheet (unprotected)
> and allow the user to sort to their heart's content????

<sigh>  You know, I just knew that was going to be the case ... <g>

Well, I'm going to have to play dumb.  Since I'm responsible for the file,
I'll just leave the sharing off.  It's not like they need to get into the
file a lot while I'm in it.  I'll have to take my chances with that as it's
more important for me to keep the integrity of the file, etc., and I had a
scare yesterday when I thought I'd deleted a column by mistake.  After that
scare, will just have to leave the workbook unshared and try to scramble
around whenever there's an issue with this.  And temp or no temp, I started
making backups, too, which I only start doing after I've been a place for a
while.  I've just put the copies on my desktop.

Thanks.  Appreciate knowing this.

Cheers.  :oD

> [...]
>> ActiveSheet.Unprotect             'place at the beginning of the code
>>     Cells(ActiveCell.Row, "B").Select     'this extra row for better
>> worksheet view
>>     Cells(ActiveCell.Row, "A").Select
>> ' Re-protects sheet in case anything unprotects it, yet allows vb
>> functioning to remain.
>>     With ActiveSheet
>>        .Protect UserInterfaceOnly:=True
>>     End With
>> ActiveSheet.Protect    'place at the end of the code
>> End Sub
>>
>> I get the error:
>>
>> "Run-time error '1004':
>> Unprotect method of Worksheet class failed."
>>
>> I hadn't seen the reference to "unprotect" earlier.  I guess XL doesn't
>> like
>> to unprotect shared workbooks?  But if we don't unprotect, the sort won't
>> happen and users can really screw up the workbook, too.

0
noSpam9680 (54)
9/11/2007 5:17:21 PM
If you're making backup copies, you may want to put them on a network drive
that's backed up (to tape??) each night.

It might be safer than copies on your desktop.

--

Dave Peterson
0
> If you're making backup copies, you may want to put them on a network
> drive
> that's backed up (to tape??) each night.
>
> It might be safer than copies on your desktop.

Yes, thanks <g>.  Forgot to mention that they're already doing that.  I'd
made significant changes to the sheet before believing I'd lost the column
for good.  The backup would have been better than nothing, of course, but
this way, by making regular backups every couple of hours, I'll feel safer.

The thing is that here's another situation that always has me leery.
They're sharing a vital file amongs several people that logs all the
invoices they receive throughout each day, every day.  That frightens me as
Excel is such a great app but so easy to screw up re this type of thing.
They need a database for this.  However, I'm just a temp and I never say
anything, I just go about my business and take all the precautions I feel
are necessary when I'm put in charge of a file such as this.  And that's
what I've done.  So I feel doubly secure now.  The backup they do at night
is supplemented by my backup that I do whenever I've entered a significant
amount of information.

Thanks.  Cheers.  :oD

> StargateFanFromWork wrote:
>>
>> "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message
>> > You can't change the protection of a worksheet in a shared workbook.
>> >
>> > You're going to have to make a choice of either leaving the worksheet
>> > unprotected or not sharing the workbook--or use some sort of
>> > workaround?
>> >
>> > Copy the values to another worksheet (unprotected)
>> > and allow the user to sort to their heart's content????
>>
>> <sigh>  You know, I just knew that was going to be the case ... <g>
>>
>> Well, I'm going to have to play dumb.  Since I'm responsible for the
>> file,
>> I'll just leave the sharing off.  It's not like they need to get into the
>> file a lot while I'm in it.  I'll have to take my chances with that as
>> it's
>> more important for me to keep the integrity of the file, etc., and I had
>> scare yesterday when I thought I'd deleted a column by mistake.  After
>> that
>> scare, will just have to leave the workbook unshared and try to scramble
>> around whenever there's an issue with this.  And temp or no temp, I
>> started
>> making backups, too, which I only start doing after I've been a place for
>> while.  I've just put the copies on my desktop.
>>
>> Thanks.  Appreciate knowing this.
>>
>> Cheers.  :oD

>> > --
>> >
>> > Dave Peterson
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
noSpam9680 (54)
9/12/2007 1:44:17 PM
If you don't feel comfortable telling your bosses that the data would be more
secure in a database, maybe you can say something when your contract ends.

You might find that it falls on deaf ears, but you may find that someone agrees
with you, too.

--

Dave Peterson
0
> If you don't feel comfortable telling your bosses that the data would be
> more
> secure in a database, maybe you can say something when your contract ends.
>
> You might find that it falls on deaf ears, but you may find that someone
> agrees
> with you, too.

You're right.  And perhaps I will do that, indeed at the contract's end.
Too many times I see Excel being used as a database.  It's such a wonderful
program but that's not its function esp. when you go beyond a certain number
of items.  Ah well ... I guess they've been lucky so far.  At least I also
locked the workbook by protecting it, so that should help somewhat.

Cheers!  :oD

> StargateFanFromWork wrote:
>>
>> "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message
>> > If you're making backup copies, you may want to put them on a network
>> > drive
>> > that's backed up (to tape??) each night.
>> >
>> > It might be safer than copies on your desktop.
>>
>> Yes, thanks <g>.  Forgot to mention that they're already doing that.  I'd
>> made significant changes to the sheet before believing I'd lost the
>> column
>> for good.  The backup would have been better than nothing, of course, but
>> this way, by making regular backups every couple of hours, I'll feel
>> safer.
>>
>> The thing is that here's another situation that always has me leery.
>> They're sharing a vital file amongs several people that logs all the
>> invoices they receive throughout each day, every day.  That frightens me
>> as
>> Excel is such a great app but so easy to screw up re this type of thing.
>> They need a database for this.  However, I'm just a temp and I never say
>> anything, I just go about my business and take all the precautions I feel
>> are necessary when I'm put in charge of a file such as this.  And that's
>> what I've done.  So I feel doubly secure now.  The backup they do at
>> night
>> is supplemented by my backup that I do whenever I've entered a
>> significant
>> amount of information.
>>
>> Thanks.  Cheers.  :oD

>> > --
>> >
>> > Dave Peterson
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
noSpam9680 (54)

Service work order
Does anyone have a template for a service work order? More specifically, a technology work order would be great. Just something that states the date, client name, description of problem, date completed. geek Browse around in the Template Gallery. May find something? http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/default.aspx Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 06:59:03 -0800, schoolgeek63 <schoolgeek63@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Does anyone have a template for a service work order? More specifically, a >technology work order would be great. Just something t...

Macro Help 05-20-10
how do i assign a value of a cell to a variable in a macro This sets the variable: Sub dural() Dim r As Range, v As Variant Set r = Range("A1") v = r.Value End Sub to set the cell, reverse the equation. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201003 "BigO" wrote: > how do i assign a value of a cell to a variable in a macro ...

Please help! Outlook not working at all!
Hi! I have been working with Outlook for years - it was always a great feature - but now it is critical since I have an Ipaq that I need to sync to it. Outlook somehow is no longer working/on my computer. I have tried repeatedly to reinstall - to "fix" - anything with NO luck. I get an icon to click on for Outlook and then it goes directly to personal folders (nothing actually happens). Every other component of Office 2000 is working perfectly. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! I am desperado!!!! Have you run "Detect and Repair" from under help in Outl...

Excel hanging (macro use)
Can anyone help? I'm running Office 2000 on Windows 95. I've previously been able to open an excel spreadsheet containing macros but today it's just hanging. I've tried restarting but still can't get into the app. I click on the Enable Macros button and it just hangs. Anyone have any ideas? Many thanks, Richard. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi Richard, Can you open it without macros enabled? Can you open it with a different user profile? Try uninstalling any Add-ins you have and see if that works. HTH, Greg "fergusor >" <&l...

Fire Macro from custom button?
Is it possible to initiate a macro via a button instead of from the bottom toolbar? Thanks - dave -- Brilliant Lemming 1112 Ocean Drive Suite 200 Manhattan Beach, CA 90266 Not directly from RMS, but you CAN call a COM Component from a custom button and use SendKeys to trigger your macro from there. Code to build such a component has been posted here in the past, but it has probably fallen off the server... If you search this group through Google Groups, there is more history and you should be able to find the post... Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://www.tibercreek.com glen...

Shared Fax Client
I have an SBS2k3 server where I accidentally deleted the default Outlook 2003 and and Shared Fax Client client applications from the application wizard. I know that I can just add them back in but I can't for the life of my find the exact settings that I should be using. Could someone open up their setup client applications wizard and tell me what folder/file structure is required to get the fax client out to all the comps on my network? Thanks! Hello Tom, Thanks for your post. Regarding the folder/file structure is required for running Client Application wizard, you...

T-SQL query for finding shared user and team records
Hi all, I'm new to CRM and would appreciate any help. I need to find account records that record owners have shared to users or teams in CRM. I've found out that this requires direct query to filtered view tables. Microsoft responded as below by I need actual T-SQL query. Can anyone help with this? You would need to write a query against the PrincipalObjectAccess table and you would need to have joins to the other related tables. If you tried to have it all displayed using one query, it would be a pretty complex query. This is because you would need to join to the FilteredA...

Works won't open in Word
On some computers in our environment I can simply right click on a works document and do an open w/ word and the document will come right up. On most I can't though. We are using Office XP 2002, and should all be on the same patch level. Was there an update to office or a setting that needs to be set to make this work on all machines? Do the PCs on which you can't do this have the appropriate Works filter installed? -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word ...

Outlook 2002 auto send/receive no longer working
For some reason my pop3 dailup no longer sends/receives automatically when launching outlook, or at timed intervals. Can someone help with suggestions on reseting this feature? XP Pro I'm using. I even did a repair of Office XP and a clean install. Thanks for any help! What are your Send/Receive group settings? Have you checked in the File menu to see if you have set your installation to Work Offline? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "circuit slave" <sh101@earthling.net> wrote in message news:2aee226c.0308230131.2914b6b5@posting.google.com... > For some reason my pop3 ...

2003 Keeps the default workbook open
When I start Excel, it starts up with a blank workbook. If I immediately open a saved file, it closes the blank workbook... All good... except mine has stopped closing the blank one. So I always end up with 2 workbooks open, the one I opened and a blank one that I'm not interested in! Is this a setting? if so where? Can I fix it? thanks... M Did you or someone create a default workbook (ie, Book.xltx or Book.xltm) and save it in "C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART"? On 5/9/2010 4:17 AM, Michelle wrote: > When I start...

Help mfcdll not working in vb
I am trying to write one MFC dll. I have created one test function declared like this in the cpp of dll _declspec(dllexport)void test() { AFX_MANAGE_STATE(AfxGetStaticModuleState()); AfxMessageBox("Hello"); } the problem is that this dll works fine when i use it in vc project but in VB it gives the following error Can't find dll entry point test in test.dll However when i declare this function in test.def it starts working in VB but gives an error in VC. I am not able to find out the reason for this behaviour. I will be thankful for any help on this. Sumit Marwal ...

This code doesn't work, why?
Create a new MCF project (test_odbc). Using the wizard, add a class to conect to a database in SQL server (CMyDB). The code looks like this: void Ctest_odbcApp::fun1(CRecordset *pRS) { CString csValue; pRS.GetFieldValue(0,csValue); // <- Generates a CDBException. Why? } BOOL Ctest_odbcApp::InitInstance() { CMyDB cDB; CString csValue; try { cDB.Open(); cDB.MoveFirst(); cDB.GetFieldValue(0,csValue);// <- This works fine fun1(&cDB); cDB.Close(); } catch(CDBException *pDBE) { pDBE->ReportError()...

IMF on Exchange 2003 SP1 not working
After a disaster recovery, IMF doesn't appear to be working. I removed it through add/remove programs and reinstalled. It didn't appear to create the UCE folder. Which UCE folder? Do you mean the archive folder? Can you check performance counters - are any messages being scanned by IMF? It the Total Messages Acted Upon counter increasing? Are you getting any messages with SCLs above your gateway threshold? Is the action set to Archive? -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "brad306" <bk@...

Deleting Macros
Having created a couple of macros within a workbook for a particular topic and then deleting them when they were no longer required, I still get the "Disable - Enable" Macros prompt when loading the spreadsheet. As there are no macros associated with this particular spreadsheet can anyone tell me why it still appears? And how can I prevent it from appearing each time I open the spreadsheet. PS. I have also noticed this point previously when simply copying a worksheet from a workbook containing macros to a new workbook without any macros. Thanks in advance JohnH You also have...

Visually Surpressing A Macro
Hi I run Excel 2000 I was wondering if there is some code that I can use to visually supress a macro when it runs. When I presently run a macro that initiates a number of various tasks the sheet "jump's" about as the macros run. Its not a big deal but would be nice if I could surpress this screen movement. Is it possible? Thanks John Application.screenupdating = false your code that jumps around Application.screenupdating = true It may make the code easier to update if you drop all the .selects and ..activates. Just work directly with the range (for example). worksh...

Sharing a document
Using Office 2007, is there any way in which 2 (or more users) can share a document? By this I mean they both could have it open at the same time and make changes. ...

Group Contact was working before, now it will not work
I have a number of group contacts where I email my message to. It has been working well for months. However a week ago, Outlook returned the mails saying the contact addresses are not vaild. I cannot find any solution any where. Can anyone help? We have no idea what you mean by group contacts. If you mean a Distribution List, this is a common occurrence. DL's are not reliable or robust. They become corrupt frequently and cannot be repaired. Few of us rely upon them for that reason. You can always try restoring it from your most recent backup. -- Russ Valentine "LS...

Importing data via macro
Hi, I want to create a macro, which let me automate the process of importing the data from various files (*.xls) from a particular directory to the main table in MS Access. My Main table in access is called Wire Transfer Main table. And every Monday few specialist go in a share drive and post their completed forms in ..xls format. My macro should go into that shared directory every week and pull out the files from that directory and copy the data from those files to my Wire Transfer Main Table in access database. Please help. Thanks Liz - you're probably better off if you writ...

Export public shared folder ?
Hello All, I can use the export wizard from File menu of Outlook to export folders, but I am not shown the public shared folders to export. How can I export contents of a public shared folder in outlook ? Imran. Copy the folder contents to a mailbox folder and export from there. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Imran Aziz" <imran@bindweb.com> wrote in message news:uJSDqHB9EHA.1084@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Hel...

shared email, can't privatize appointments
I have 2 secys who share an email address. THey eachmade an Outlook calendar for themselves on their own laptop. However they say they can't keep any appt "private" from the other person--that "private" doesn't work. Is this true, and is there a way around it? -- kamp "kamp" <kamp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D667C78F-D0FD-4E82-A4FF-2EA717E4B66E@microsoft.com... >I have 2 secys who share an email address. THey eachmade an Outlook calendar > for themselves on their own laptop. However they say they can't ...

Macro or scripting help
I have a spreadsheet that goes to column P. All cells have data except for Column M. Half of column M contains data and the rest are empty cells. I need to copy or move all data rows associated with the cells in column M that contains data. Normally I would be able to do this by just recording macros, but data is constantly being added. Hope I explained this correctly. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks. The below suggestion uses autofilter to only show those rows where column(M) is nonblank, then copy all of the visible rows to your destination. You didn't ...

MACROS!!
Hiya Could someone explain what a macro is?? and how i would do one?? (any example will do!) Thanks P.s.I can't access certain sites on the internet so please do not provide a link. :o) -- @---}-- Laura..... :) Liverpool, England "Do you know where you're going to?" Are you learning Excel in (very) small steps from the NGs? <G> Normally I would direct you to David McRitchie's page, but I know what you would say. A macro is a VBA procedure that can perform an action, or a series of actions. For instance, it can be a simple Hello World example Sub Hello(...

Sharing
How do I create an Excel file for only five users to use. No one else will have access to this Excel Document. Save the file with a password (File/Save As/Options/Password to Open) and give the password to the authorized users. In article <4a8001c4c66b$bd63a140$a601280a@phx.gbl>, "tthomas@lcor.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do I create an Excel file for only five users to use. > No one else will have access to this Excel Document. ...

Enabling Macros #4
Is there anyway possible that for every user that opens a workbook with macros the Enable Macro question box will not pop up and the macros will always be enabled? The workbook that I am creating will be used by many people with different versions of Excel and limited knowledge of Excel so the macros may be disabled causing errors. Thanks for the help! Hi the only way would be that your users set the security level to 'Low'. BUT I wouldn't recommend this. this is a security feature. So there should be no way tro disable it programmatically :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frank...

Drill down pivot table data via VBA macro
I am trying to create a macro that will drill down subtotals from a pivot table. Since the number of rows, and colums, changes frequently I need to reference the total for the row or column. Can this be done via VBA macro? -- jmon76 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jmon76's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?u=1909 View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=204538 http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz Excel 2007 PivotTable Show subtotal details via macro. Define subtotal with PivotField...