macro protection problem

What is the preferred method to deal with macro protection? I have just
updated all the machines to office2k3 and now a critical worksheet  that
uses benign macros doesn't run because of the protection. Bringing security
to "low" allows it to run but each user has to set that themselves.
I have heard about creating a local CA for trusting the macro and I am
interested in that but isn't there an easier way?

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Setting security to low is very unwise. Stupid even, in a company.

All methods involve making changes on each machine unless you have Group
Policies set up (which presumably you don't or you wouldn't be asking). If
you create a certificate, each machine has to add the certifier to the list
of trusted publishers.

Better than setting each machine to low security is 'Trust access to VBA
Project' (assuming you trust your employees not to write malicious code), or
put the code in an add-in or template and trust that.

<churchmouse@noemail.nospam.net> wrote in message
> What is the preferred method to deal with macro protection? I have just
> updated all the machines to office2k3 and now a critical worksheet  that
> uses benign macros doesn't run because of the protection. Bringing
> security to "low" allows it to run but each user has to set that
> themselves.
> I have heard about creating a local CA for trusting the macro and I am
> interested in that but isn't there an easier way?

0
warcrimes (66)
11/17/2005 9:09:23 PM
Setting Macro Security to 'Medium' will give the user the option to Enable
or Disable macros on opening, 'High' will prevent macros from running at
all. Setting to 'Medium' will need to be done on all of the machines
individually, but thankfully only once. Setting security to low is not
advisable, dangerous even as malicious code can easily be written in to XL
files and on that setting they will just open and run,
Regards,
Alan.
<churchmouse@noemail.nospam.net> wrote in message
> What is the preferred method to deal with macro protection? I have just
> updated all the machines to office2k3 and now a critical worksheet  that
> uses benign macros doesn't run because of the protection. Bringing
> security to "low" allows it to run but each user has to set that
> themselves.
> I have heard about creating a local CA for trusting the macro and I am
> interested in that but isn't there an easier way?

0
alan111 (581)
11/17/2005 9:28:39 PM
I agree with you both that security shouldn't be set to low. But it was a
critical file and that is all that would allow it to run. At least that was
all I could sucessfully communicate to them.
How can the macro in question be trusted for everyone? if I set the "VBA
projects" setting to be trusted, isn't that as dangerous?

"Alan" <alan111@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Setting Macro Security to 'Medium' will give the user the option to Enable
> or Disable macros on opening, 'High' will prevent macros from running at
> all. Setting to 'Medium' will need to be done on all of the machines
> individually, but thankfully only once. Setting security to low is not
> advisable, dangerous even as malicious code can easily be written in to XL
> files and on that setting they will just open and run,
> Regards,
> Alan.
> <churchmouse@noemail.nospam.net> wrote in message
>> What is the preferred method to deal with macro protection? I have just
>> updated all the machines to office2k3 and now a critical worksheet  that
>> uses benign macros doesn't run because of the protection. Bringing
>> security to "low" allows it to run but each user has to set that
>> themselves.
>> I have heard about creating a local CA for trusting the macro and I am
>> interested in that but isn't there an easier way?

It must run on the Medium setting that gives the user a warning. A file from
an unknown source can then be opened or not at the users discretion,
Regards,
Alan.
>I agree with you both that security shouldn't be set to low. But it was a
>critical file and that is all that would allow it to run. At least that was
>all I could sucessfully communicate to them.
> How can the macro in question be trusted for everyone? if I set the "VBA
> projects" setting to be trusted, isn't that as dangerous?
>

> "Alan" <alan111@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> Setting Macro Security to 'Medium' will give the user the option to
>> Enable or Disable macros on opening, 'High' will prevent macros from
>> running at all. Setting to 'Medium' will need to be done on all of the
>> machines individually, but thankfully only once. Setting security to low
>> is not advisable, dangerous even as malicious code can easily be written
>> in to XL files and on that setting they will just open and run,
>> Regards,
>> Alan.
>> <churchmouse@noemail.nospam.net> wrote in message
>>> What is the preferred method to deal with macro protection? I have just
>>> updated all the machines to office2k3 and now a critical worksheet  that
>>> uses benign macros doesn't run because of the protection. Bringing
>>> security to "low" allows it to run but each user has to set that
>>> themselves.
>>> I have heard about creating a local CA for trusting the macro and I am
>>> interested in that but isn't there an easier way?

0
alan111 (581)
11/17/2005 10:01:11 PM
Certify it.

<churchmouse@noemail.nospam.net> wrote in message
>I agree with you both that security shouldn't be set to low. But it was a
>critical file and that is all that would allow it to run. At least that was
>all I could sucessfully communicate to them.
> How can the macro in question be trusted for everyone? if I set the "VBA
> projects" setting to be trusted, isn't that as dangerous?
>

> "Alan" <alan111@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> Setting Macro Security to 'Medium' will give the user the option to
>> Enable or Disable macros on opening, 'High' will prevent macros from
>> running at all. Setting to 'Medium' will need to be done on all of the
>> machines individually, but thankfully only once. Setting security to low
>> is not advisable, dangerous even as malicious code can easily be written
>> in to XL files and on that setting they will just open and run,
>> Regards,
>> Alan.
>> <churchmouse@noemail.nospam.net> wrote in message
>>> What is the preferred method to deal with macro protection? I have just
>>> updated all the machines to office2k3 and now a critical worksheet  that
>>> uses benign macros doesn't run because of the protection. Bringing
>>> security to "low" allows it to run but each user has to set that
>>> themselves.
>>> I have heard about creating a local CA for trusting the macro and I am
>>> interested in that but isn't there an easier way?

0
warcrimes (66)

Problem with vba directory function
Hi We have an access application that has a button when clicked opens an excel worksheet showing all exported data based on code The access sql system is in Citrix with a single front end copy. Here is the code part that is throwing the error for just one user. Rest all are working fine Dim strSourceFileName As String Dim WorkBookName As String strSourceFileName = "c:\CarLogOutPut\CarLogExportTemplate.xls" WorkBookName = "c:\CarLogOutPut\CarLogExport.xls" If Dir(strSourceFileName) = "" Then MsgBox "CarLogExportTemplate.xls doe...

Connection Problem 03-20-08
Hello I'm new to access programming so I'm probably making some obvious mistake. The following code comes from 'Beginning Access 2003 VBA' by Denise Cosnell. On page 130 of the book you can read: 1. Create a new database by selecting File ?New ?Blank Database and specifying Ch5CodeExamples as the filename. 2. Create a new table in the database by selecting Tables from the Database Window and clicking the Design button. Alternatively, you can select the New button and then choose Design View from the list. The table should be named tblContacts and should have the fields i...

default appointment times problems
When i re-open outlook and go to the calender, all the appointments times have changed to 1am on the start day - 1am on the day after it waqs meant to finish. So a 12 day appointment is now shown as over 2 days. How do you change the default appointment time settings so an appointment which is just typed into the day is from 9am - 5pm for example and will stay as a 1 day event when opening and closing outlook? All day events are 12 -12, not 9-5. If you want it 9-5, you need to make it for 9-5. All day appointment change to 1 -1 if you change the time zone or DST settings aft...

macro to exit design mode
I am creating protected worksheets for users. When some users open them, their Excel is already in Design Mode. I need code to 'exit' design mode automatically. Can anyone advise please? -- cm see if this helps: Sub ExitDesignMode() With CommandBars("Exit Design Mode").Controls(1) If .State = msoButtonDown Then .Execute End With End Sub -- jb "cm" wrote: > I am creating protected worksheets for users. When some users open them, > their Excel is already in Design Mode. > > I need code to 'exit&#...

Pivot table and it's macro
I am creating a table and from the table a pivot table using a macro. When I run the macro the table gets created without a problem but when it goes to create the pivot table I get an error and the debugger highlights this section: ActiveWorkbook.PivotCaches.Create(SourceType:=xlDatabase, SourceData:= _ "Table8", Version:=xlPivotTableVersion12).CreatePivotTable TableDestination _ :="Perf Tables!R2C8", TableName:="PivotTable1", DefaultVersion:= _ xlPivotTableVersion12 Can anyone see where the problem is happening? My ...

Macro to pull every Nth row of data
I have a spreadsheet of data and I need to pull every 60th row out onto another sheet. Any simple macros? Thanks. Amy How about Sub Test() Source_Sheet = "Sheet1" Target_Sheet = "Sheet2" n = 5000 ' your last line of data on Sheet1 Target_Row = 1 Sheets(Target_Sheet).Select For nCount = 1 To n Step 60 Worksheets(Source_Sheet).Cells(nCount, 1).EntireRow.Copy Worksheets(Target_Sheet).Cells(Target_Row, 1).Select Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:= _ F...

How to get userform Cancel button to invoke Exit Sub in calling macro?
I have a userform that is called from inside a sub in a module of a workbook. In order to keep most of the code inside the module, the userform only sets variables in the sub. Here is the code in the sub: 'create and initialize variables Dim Bkp,XSub as Boolean Dim BkpSfx as String Bkp = True XSub = False 'call options box BackupOptionsBox.Show 'Set main subroutine variables Bkp = BackupOptionsBox.YesOption BkpSfx = "_" & BackupOptionsBox.SfxBox.Value ...

Please help me solve my problem
Hi, I Have a cell say a1 that has a continuously changing number it in and I want to track the highest number that it prints, and the same for the lowest number in cell a2. I would like these results to show up in the cells below them Im very new to programming and your help would be much appreciated many thanks Sacha David On Mar 5, 1:01=A0pm, Sacha David <sach1...@googlemail.com> wrote: > Hi, =A0I Have a cell say a1 that has a continuously changing number it > in and I want to track the highest number that it prints, =A0and the > same for the lowest number i...

Q: how can I write this macro?
Hello, I am trying to copy-paste a part of an excel file based on the selected cell and create another excel file and save it. Here is the scenario: 1. I clicked E18 (this is an example, it can be D18 or others) and run the macro 2. Macro should select E1-E18 (if D18, then D1-D18) and A1-B18 (so first two columns and selected column up to the row the cell selected) 3. copy selected area 4. Create a file test.xls 5. paste it into first cell (I assume this will combine all three columns together, so the data will be in A.B and C columns, not in A,B and E (or D)) 6. save file How can I do t...

Copy / Paste of Floorplan shapes in Visio Automation problems
Hi All I am working on a .Net (FW1.1) application that has a hosted Visio drawing control. Copy and paste from most existing Visio drawings to this hosted control works fine. The exception to this rule is Visio floorplans, where copying and pasting of most shapes is OK, but walls go totally screwed up (all over the screen, nothing like their original shape, etc). Our client needs to be able to copy and paste the floorplans into this container control without the walls breaking; they have a large investment already made i.t.o. existing floorplans. Page scaling and size is the same as the exi...

Problem moving mailbox between administrative groups
Hi there, We have a big problem. We need to move mailboxes from one adm group to other, and at ramdom we receive a MAPI Error Error moving messages CN=testuser,CN=users,dc=machine,dc=company,dc=com The MAPI call failed MAPI or an unspecified service provicer ID no: 80004005-0000-00000000 The Exchange 2000 organization is in native mode (All E2K) Any thoughts. Thanks in advance -- Gabriel N Argentina ...

Sheet protection prompts
All, Ive been building a speadsheet for data collection and have incorporated event macros that format columns, filter and protect/unprotect the worksheet. One of the users is receiving a confirmation prompt each time the macro protects/unprotects the sheet. I however am not being prompted on my pc and have been unable to replicate this. Has anyone come across this before and could you please advise how it can be overcome. Would appreciate any assistance you can provide. Regards, Adrian Not sure why this would happen to one user, unless they have a different version possibly. Could ...

dropdown list problem for newbie
i have a column(A) where each cell is a dropdownlist(same list). if person chooses an item from that list...can it return a correspondin value? example: my drop down list corresponding value animal 005 building 1174 vehicle 3345 so for a specific cell...lets say A1, i choose building from th dropdown. i want it to return a value of 1174 in cell A1. is this possible? if so please help? thx eri -- enag ----------------------------------------------------------------------- enags'...

Excel macros page breaks but not on row 1 and column value in footer
Hi, I have seen some posts that are similar, but no one seems to have the problem that I am having. I will post my macro in this, for anyone that is interested. My users get a csv file every month, and we have to clean it up. This macro does that. My last issues are this: 1) having the spreadsheet create page breaks whenever the value in column B changes. Below is just that code. Code: col = 2 LastRw = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count For X = 2 To LastRw If Cells(X, col) <> Cells(X - 1, col) And Cells(X, col) <> Range("B1") Then ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.HPageBreaks...

IHTMLDocument::Write method problem
Hello EveyOne I am using IHTMLdocument and its method. My aim is to extract the body of a IHTMLDocument after loading the local html page ( saved file ) to IHTMDocument. So I just read the file into buffer , created a safe Array and used IHTMLDocument::write method to write the contents of a file to IHTMLDocument. It worked fine for many web pages, But when I tried it for web page http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&ar=windowsmedia application became NOt Responding.When I debugged the application , I found that the IHTMLDocument::write method never returned and thats why my ap...

sharing problem
Hi there, I have a strange problem. I have 13 exchange users an Exchange 2000 (english) All the users were migrated when I installed Exchange 1 year ago. a month ago 2 users left and were replaced by 2 others so I added them to exchange. All users are using Outlook 2000 (dutch) and are sharing their calendar. When I share the calendar of the 2 new people everybody gets the share in their outlook but when they open it it gives an error that it can't open the share. The strange thing is also that thier shares are in dutch (postbus) and all other shares are in english. I made a workaround b...

Problems consuming a webservice in Excel2003
Hi, I am not a MS-Office expert but have been tasked with trying something new to me. If there is a better place to ask this question, please feel free to point me to it. I have built a Webservice in Delphi 2007. It works fine with a client built in D2007 and with a generic webbased client. Now I would like to consume it using Excel 2003. The final goal is to fill a statistics spreadsheet with a set of indicators calculated from inside a separate system. I have installed the Web Services Toolkit and followed the quick walkthrough in: http://weblogs.asp.net/erobillard/archive/2005/07...

"Alt - I
About two weeks ago when I was trying to insert a row I found that my "Alt - I - R" function was not working. After asking around, I found this has happened to other people. Can anyone help tell me what I have done or how to fix this problem...so that I can use "Alt - I - R" in order to insert a row? Thanks, Doug Doug If the worksheet protection is enabled ALT + I + R along with many other commands will not be available. Check at Tools>Protection. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 2 May 2005 16:57:04 -0700, "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Protecting/locking individual cells? + not displaying #N/A on cel
HI, My spreadsheet is using Vookup formulas and I would like to protect the cells with the formulas from others changing them but still alow the oter cells to be free . Such C1 free to place a number that will allow the protected B1 (which has the look up formulae) to have the resulting detail from the look up -locked/protected. ALSO- I have then copied the formulae down to the page and some cells will not have all the time an item in them so now they are showing the #N/A - can this be not displayed? Ta Mike On Sep 10, 8:47=A0am, MikeR-Oz <Mike...@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

Problem with CSocket.Create() on windows 2003
Hii i'm creating a CSocket object and calling its Create Method in a DLL and call this dll from an asp page..but i get an exception on Create(). This only happens with Windows 2003. the code is working fine with windows 2000 server. Also when i created a simple MFC dialog based application (exe) and called .Create() for it there..it worked fine even on 2003. Can someone please tell me if there is any issue with the CSockets in windows 2003 calling in a dll and how can it be resolved. I've also tried using CAsyncSocket but the problem persists. Any help is appreciable. Thanx and regard...

Exchange 2003 SP2 Install Problem
Hi, I've experienced this problem with three different SBS 2003 servers. When I install Exchange 2003 SP2 it fails to stop the EXIFS service and this causes the installation to fail. I did think it could be related to GFI Mail Essentials or Security but I've uninstalled both and it still fails. Any ideas? Thanks, Joe On Fri, 5 May 2006 14:25:29 +0100, "Spenceley" <joe@response-it.co.uk> wrote: >Hi, > >I've experienced this problem with three different SBS 2003 servers. > >When I install Exchange 2003 SP2 it fails to stop the EXIFS service...

Form/ subform link problems
My parent form holds information about a part and my subform holds ordering information for that part. Up to now I have linked the child to the parent via PartID : RecordID and Component Name : Component name. This is great as it shows the component name on the subform after it has been found on the parent form. The only problem with this is if the user changes the component name it does not keep the order information for the same item with the old name. I want to link purely on the partID : RecordID so that whatever else is changed the order information history still shows. When I do t...

CRM 1.2 Mail Router Problem

Hyperlink problem
I have created a page in Publisher 2002 and trying to add hyperlinks within the text box. I have followed the procedure, but when I email the page to test it, the link does not work. I can get the hyperlink to work on an object, but not in the text box. Can you help please? Thanks -- Just Me ...

Office has problems rendering Mrs. Eaves font
Hi, I'm seeing an issue where the Office apps (at least Word and Powerpoint) does not render the Mrs. Eaves font (from Emigre) properly. I am using the Postscript Type 1 version of it. The issue is that the space character doesn't seem to actually put a space in between the letters. The words just run into each other. Here are some screen shots: Mrs. Eaves: http://www.peterskim.org/images/mrseaves.jpg Bookman Old Style: http://www.peterskim.org/images/bookman.jpg Is anyone else seeing this problem? Would updating my font to the OpenType format make it work? Thanks! Peter Sorry, ...