Looking for help with database functions

I am working with a non-profit rural community development group. We are
trying to put together a "database" to put people looking for work together
with people needing services. A sample would might be:

Joe Blow; [carpenter, woodworker]; free on tues & thur; willing to trade
(equal to $10.00 hr);  References: Heidi Hoe, 555-5555,  John Doh, 555-5555
ext 100

Jane Doe, needing porch repaired and general yardwork, work on your own
schedule, open to Barter; References: Seymour Johnson, 555-5555, Ivan
Tootall, 555-5555

Winnie Pooh,  looking for someone to read news, books, and visit a couple of
times a month or more, You can use my dock and camp area on the lake in
trade.

Orville Wrightenbacker, Have some time on thurs to volunteer, have CNA
license, can do housecleaning for disabled or elderly.  Willing to pet or
house sit in your home for extended periods. References:  W. Oman 555-5555,
Simon Saez, 555-
5555

We are looking to put seekers and providers togehter on a community website,
but we would also like to set up a database to track these types of sevices
and connect seekers to providers. Does anyone have any clue about how we
could do this or templates that would work with excel or openoffice?

Thanks,
Bob

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

"Byrd" <nospamebyr...@hotmail.com> wrote...
>I am working with a non-profit rural community development group. We are
>trying to put together a "database" to put people looking for work together
>with people needing services. A sample would might be:
>We are looking to put seekers and providers togehter on a community website,
>but we would also like to set up a database to track these types of sevices
>and connect seekers to providers. Does anyone have any clue about how we
>could do this or templates that would work with excel or openoffice?

Joining tables is relatively simple, but it requires highly similar
field contents. Nothing in Excel or OpenOffice would be able to match
'carpenter' to 'porch repair' unless YOU build up a cross-reference
table of job seaker capabilities and job offering particulars.

I'm not aware of any templates for this sort of thing, and it'd take
some fairly sophisticated natural language programming to automate any
of this. In the short term you'll just have to maintain separate
tables for job seakers, their qualifications, availability,
compensation requests, and references on one hand and job offerers,
their particular needs, compensation offers and references on the
other. In Excel or OpenOffice Calc you could use a third table as a
cross-reference between the other two list which would contain two
column, one for row number in the job seaker table and the other for
row number in the job offerer table. But you'd need to fill out that
cross-reference table manually.

0
hrlngrv1 (375)

Formula Help (to many expresions)
Could one of you give me a hand with this... I'm trying to put a formula in a spreadsheet that has too many expressions in it. I understand there is a limit to the number of equations that can be in a formula but there must be a way around the cap. Or maybe another way to write the formula? What I am trying to say in the formula is that if... If X is less than 09 then B1 = what's in cell C2 If X is less than 25 then B1 = what's in cell C3 If X is less than 51 then B1 = what's in cell C4 The expression I have written looks like this... =IF(X<10,"N/A",IF(X<...

mscvr71.dll help
How do I make my VS.net 2003 software not depend on msvcr71.dll? Thanks. Use static linking. I don't know where to set the option in VS7, but it used to be under Code Generation where you selected the desired C runtime library to use. In VS6 we had a choice between a dynamically-linked runtime and a statically-linked runtime. I've not had to make this choice under VS7 so I'm not sure where, in their overly-clever and completely gratuitous reimplementation of the user interface, this has been hidden. joe On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:24:56 GMT, anonymous@coolgroups.com wrote: &g...

Help with ShowFilter Macro
I'm trying to use this ShowFilter UDF written by Tom Ogilvy (see bottom of post). It says to use... =showfilter(B2)&CHAR(SUBTOTAL(9,B3)*0+32) ....in a cell to show the criteria for Column B. For one thing, I don't understand the cells B2 and B3 business. What is supposed to be in those cells? I would like this function to appear in the cell directly above or below the Autofilter menu cell. How do I change the function if the Autofilter criteria menu is in, cell A3, for example, and I want the criteria (this function) to appear just above, in cell A2? After trying all so...

How to view the code for excel built-in functions?
Is it possible? -For example the function PMT(). thanks. No, the code is compiled, so it would likely be less than useful anyway. About the best you can do is check out the equations used in Help (see "PV"). In article <OSU3OXOBGHA.1676@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "serdar" <s@s.com> wrote: > Is it possible? -For example the function PMT(). > thanks. ...

Help with automating file name
I have the following code that exports the below query to excell. I would like the files name to include the month and date. How would I format this? DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputQuery, "qryShopOrderSqFtShippedSummaryExport",_ acFormatXLS, "W:\Cokato\Production\ProdRoomRpt.xls" -- Matt Campbell mattc (at) saunatec [dot] com Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200708/1 Hi, Matt. > I would > like the files name to include the month and date. Uh, . . . the date _always_ includes the month, unless you're r...

select database
Hi all Prob an easy one but is there a keyboard shortcut to select a whole range of data (database) in excel. Or select just the filled in data. I know ctrl A selects all - is there a variation on this? any help greatly appreciated cheers Rexmann Hi Rexmann You can use Ctrl * to select the current region -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "rexmann" <rexmann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:019FE07A-9C7D-4300-9137-646406AAAA48@microsoft.com... > Hi all > > Prob an easy one but is there a keyboard shortcut to select a whole range ...

Please help with last formula for order form.
I am able to accomplish this with 1 column by the formulas below. Cell H160 is the subtotal: =IF(SUM(H72:H111)>0,SUM(H72:H111),"") Cell H166 the total: =IF(SUM(H160)>0,SUM((H160*H163)+H160),"") Cell H163 is for Tax. I am almost finished creating an order form. I would like to get the SUM of 3 different columns that are separated. I am not able auto fill strait down the column, because the information is separated in groups with titles, and the cells are not identically sized. I tried varations of this formula: =IF(SUM(H72:H111)+(116:131)+(135:154)>0,SUM ((H72:H...

looking for cash drop and paid out reports
Does anyone have a report on these transactions that can be selected by date? Any help would be appreciated. Larry ...

Restore messages from Exchange database
Our SBS2000 crashed the other day without a backup of Active Directory. We now only have a backup of the exchange database (edb and stm files). The domain has been recreated from fresh and 5 computers were re-joined the domain. Exchange also were installed. Question: what would be the right way to restore the messages from the edb and stm backup copy? Thank you in advance! -jesk Jesk You'll have to recreate the Exchange org and do a restore. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/disrecopgde.mspx Unless you have a flat file recovery tool like Quest R...

SmartList Restrictions help
I built a SmartList that is based on the Year-to-Date Transaction Open file, and has the Account Master linked to it. I want to restrict it to accounts that begin with 36, 38, or 2504. I tried adding a restriction that says "Account Number:Account_Segment_Pool1 begins with 36 OR 38 OR 2504", but I got no results when I did it that way. I also set up 3 separate restrictions, but that didn't work either. Is this possible? I can't find much information about how to write restrictions in SL Builder. ...

Conditional formatting help #4
My problem is that, that i want to ignore blank i mean i had set a conditional formatting say A B C D 24.9 25.9 25 25.8 22.6 23.4 22.5 23.3 If value in ColA is less than value in ColC, cell A1 is shaded blue OR if value in ColB is greater than value in ColD, cell B1 shaded blue. I have done above formatting but my problem is that if i dont enter anything in colC then also colA is shaded in blue similarly if i dont enter any value in colD then also col B is shaded.I mean i want to ignore the blank.I need , if col C is blank then the Col A must be normal .& if col D is blank & i ent...

help plz
my account has been inactive how to i reacctivate it? What account and what does this have to do with Outlook? "heather" <tracyliepke@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:066001c36c53$bb68d180$a501280a@phx.gbl... > my account has been inactive how to i reacctivate it? ...

Help with queries
Hi Guys, This is the first time after school that I am trying to use ms access at work and i need ur help in creating a query. Any help will be highly appreciated!! Here is what I need... I have relatively small ms acces database with about 1000 I have 3 colums date ipaddress sitename 12/09 34.3.3.3 A 12/09 34.3.3.3 A 12/09 34.3.3.3 A 12/09 33.4.4.4 B 12/09 33.4.4.55 C What i need is if an ipadress is recorded more t...

Need help to choose loyalty program integrated with website
Hello. My name is Alex and I am working for franchise company using RMS system. We are looking for loyalty program integrated with web store. We have 12 franchisee stores using RMS and they are all conneted to our HQ system in main office. We want customers to earn point for each sales and redeem their points only at our website. (not on off-line store) Can anybody recommend best solution for our plan? Thank you. ...

Database problem #2
Hi guys, I wrote an application that reads about 50.000 records from many files and wrote these in a db. This application is really slow. Can the cause of this slowness be the reading from the files? If yes, can I resolve with 2 thread where one will makes a cache of records reads from the files and the other writes the data in the db? Tnx It's more likely to be the writing in the db that's slow, assuming that you're not processing the files as you open them. One thing that might help in this case is to close any open indexes before adding the new records, and re-create the in...

Help And Advive For A Novice
HELP AND ADVICE FOR A NOVICE This Is Not A Question About Using Excell But How To Download E -books I Have Purchased 2 E-books (a)f1 Excell And (b) Financial Statements. Encountered Difficulty In Downloading Because The Instructions Were Not Very Clear For Novice And Message Flagged Up "zip File Corrupted" I Have Utilised My Permitted Downloads. Therfore I Have Not In A Position To Use The E-books -- Joe Williams ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Joe Williams's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23...

formula help #42
What formula would I use to search down a column find a name and report the number in the next column, this would be multiple times, the numbers to be added together. The added number reported then to be multiplied by another number and then to be subtracted from another fixed number in a specific cell. Thanks in advance Jason You can sum the corresponding cells matched without having a dedicated column of numbers. =SUMIF(A1:A100,"Name",B1:B100) =(SUMIF(A1:A100,"Name",B1:B100)*AnotherNumber)-SpecificCell HTH, Paul -- "Boenerge" <Boenerge@discussions...

Suggestions on how to create a database that will allow lookup of nonunique addresses for unique names
Hello: I am relatively new to access, though vaguely familiar with database concepts and Access jargon (i.e., queries). I need to do the following (see below) and I was hoping someone could tell me what is the best way (at a high level) to do this in Access. I have a large list of names and addresses thrown into a single flat table. There are many duplicates in the file. Somehow, I need to separate duplicate addresses from the file and place them in another table so that I can link the list of unique names to the addresses (i.e., a one to many relationship). My end users will be using the d...

HELP! Balloon Payments in Debt Reduction
I have had this problem for so long it is getting really frustrating. When I put a debt into the debt reduction plan, it always puts a balloon payment on my first payment. Then, if I don't make that payment, it just builds and builds and builds with each subsequent payment I do make. How do I get rid of this? I removed the debt from my reduction plan the first time and that cleared it. But, the moment I started paying on the debt, it returned. Now, it's to the point that I can't get rid of it at all. When I remove the debt from the plan, it will do the same thing w...

SUMPRODUCT help #7
Hello: My question is if I have 3 or 4 criteria that need to be met before excel acknowledges the row and then once it does it will sum the accepted rows and return that sum into another sheet. Category Price Date Customer # InorgStock $30.00 10/20/2005101643 Inorg CB $415.80 1/23/2006 109597 InorgStock $15.00 1/23/2006 101643 Matrix Mod $50.00 1/23/2006 101643 If I want excel to only add up the extended price for the columns that met the criteria Customer Number=101643 and Category=inorgstock and Category=Inorg CB and Category=Matrix Mod and Document Date is >=10/20/05 but <...

Change database source for pivot table
Hi I've built a pivot table based on an Oracle database. however I want to change the source database (from test to live) but can't figure out how to change the source database. Any ideas? Cheers Neil Just answered my own question, in the query go into table definition and change the database "Neil" <neil@funkcity.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:%23yauyKKpFHA.620@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Hi > > I've built a pivot table based on an Oracle database. > > however I want to change the source database (from test to live) but can't > figu...

Help Required with Macro to Manipulate Data
I have a spreadsheet(s) with the following data on it (this is imported from a text file) A B C D 1 Branch Date Total 2 4501 030204 29 3 4 4501 030204 14 5 6 4502 030204 331 7 8 4502 030204 52 9 10 4503 030204 54 11 12 4503 030204 85 Hi Alay and what do you want to achieve :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Alan T >" <<Alan.T.12jthe@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Alan.T.12jthe@excelforum-nospam.com... > I have a spreadsheet(s) with the following data on it (this is imported ...

Using Rept function
I want to repeat one cells entry somewhere else in my (same) worksheet and have used the Rept function successfully. However, ifthe 1st cell (e.g. A3 is in date format like 12/12/2003, when I use the Rept A3,1 function in another cell (e.g.cell R3), it returns the date as a number (37967). What I want is for the date to be repeated exactly as is (12/12/2003 or whatever date is typed). Can anyone help please Don't use the REPT function. Just enter =A3 and apply the date format you want using Format, Cells if you do not automatically get it. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP You can't unless ...

Forecast Function #2
How can I use the forecast function on columns that are not adjacent to each other, or alternately, is there another function I can use for this. Otherwise, I have to type in the whole regression line equation thusly, =AVERAGE(L3,AB3,AR3)+((((3*((L3*1998)+(AB3*2001)+(AR3*2002)))-((L3+AB3+AR3)*(1998+2001+2002))))/((3*((1998^2)+(2001^2)+(2002^2)))-((1998+2001+2002)^2))*(2003-AVERAGE(1998,2001,2002))) I'm forecasting 2003 data from 1998,2001, and 2002 data. Thanks, X ...

Excell column naming PROBLEM, HELP PLEASE
My Excel is showing rows as numbers (1,2,3, etc) as it should, but the columns are showing as 1,2,3 (numbers) as well instead of A,B,C,D how can I fix this PLEASE!!!! tools-options-gneral-R1C1 reference style -uncheck this. ====== "ANA" <ANA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5067333-D1FA-4951-A4B1-38910FFF597A@microsoft.com... > My Excel is showing rows as numbers (1,2,3, etc) as it should, but the > columns are showing as 1,2,3 (numbers) as well instead of A,B,C,D how can I > fix this PLEASE!!!! XL2k "Tools->Options-General" and unc...