Locking cells #3

hi there,

I was wondering if it is possible to Lock a cell so that no-one ca
enter data into it, the reason behind this is because the cell i
update from a different worksheet.

Thank you for your time

Kind Regards

Swmasso

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi

It's possible. Simply protect the sheet - by default all cells are locked
then.

When you want to allow users to access some cells, unlock them before
protecting the sheet (Format.Cells.Protection). When you want to restrict
the access to some cells only, and to allow for rest of worksheet, then
unlock all cells (click on square at top left corner, and uncheck 'Locked'
checkbox on Format.Cells.Protection tab), after that lock cells you want to
restrict the access for user, and than protect the sheet.

--
Arvi Laanemets
(When sending e-mail, use address arvil<At>tarkon.ee)

"swmasson >" <<swmasson.1cke6e@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> hi there,
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to Lock a cell so that no-one can
> enter data into it, the reason behind this is because the cell is
> update from a different worksheet.
>
> Thank you for your time
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Swmasson
>

> ---

garbage (651)
9/14/2004 8:49:22 AM
Thanks for taking time to read my post, i have just managed to d
exactly what i needed.

Thanks again

Swmasso

#REF #3
Hi, I'm doing a projection spreadsheet. The new months in diff sheets will be added as and when the actual month passes, ie, up to now i have sheets up to Aug. But in the MAIN sheet, I'm supposed to have months for the whole year up to Dec. Since Sep to Dec don't have equivalent sheets yet, the cells show #Ref since my formula is =Oct!A1. I want to tell the cell to get the amount from "Oct" sheet if there's such a sheet and if not, get the amount from "Sep" sheet. I tried this "=if(Oct!A1="#REF", Sep!A1,Oct!A1)" but it doesn'...

Need Syntax for "AND" to Evaluate 2 Cells
I need to evaluate 2 cells while inside an "Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)". I thought AND would work but I cannot get it to work; I receive a syntax error on the AND(Range... line. Can someone please provide me the proper syntax to evaluate the 2 cells? Here's my code... Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) If ActiveSheet.Name = "Sheet1" Then And(Range("I3") <> "", Range("K4") = "") Then Range("K4") = Range("K3") End...

Enter "1", cell show ".01". Why?
Any number typed into a cell is divided by 100. If proceded by "=" the number is correct. What caused this and how can I fix it? Try this .. Click Tools > Options > Edit tab Uncheck "Fixed decimal" > OK Things should be back to normal now .. (it's a fixed decimal setting !) -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Singapore, GMT+8 xdemechanik http://savefile.com/projects/236895 -- "Yonian" <Yonian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:40499CA4-7FAF-42A6-8B19-A90881735C50@microsoft.com... > Any number typed into a cell is divided by 100. > If p...

selecting a cell
I seem unable to select a single cell, or a single row--click on one in the normal manner, and the two below also highlight, then delete or whatever command is given. If I input a number/text, that just goes into the one cell. tapping F8 increases this to two wide and three high automatically selected. Also, very slow to do almost anything. Thanks Pat, Are you by any chance using Excel 2007? If so there is a known bug that causes multiple cell selection and I understand this has been reported to Microsoft. If you take the zoom level up and down this is reported to cl...

excel 97 how can i transform in the same cell 1.256.324 in 125.63
I want to transform in excel 97, a number ( ex: 1.256.324 in 125.63) bu in the same cell. How can i do this? In my country money changed from 10.000 in 1 ; 100.000 , in 10...etc So i want excel to transform for me automatically an old sum of mone in the new one. I want to write 1.256.324, and when i press enter thi number to be transformed in 125.63. Thanx .... And thanx...: -- puiuluipu ----------------------------------------------------------------------- puiuluipui's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2679 View this thread: http://www.excelforum...

Excel locking up
For some strange reason I open a spreadsheet and when I click in the cell, I cannot do anything else...as I move the mouse around the selected cells just increases wherever I move the mouse....no menu selections are available and I cannot even select the close box in the upper right..I have to right click in the bottom taskbar and select close.... when I reopen it allows me to access all the menus items until I click in a cell and it locks up again....HELP!! if I restart the computer it goes away, but then it happens again several days later Hi Mabe David's page will help http://...

Outlook 2002 locked up when deleting contacts
Hello- While cleaning out duplicates and obsolete email addresses, Outlook locked up on me. I used the task manager to end the program and then shut the machine down. I rebooted and Outlook asked if I wanted to start up in safe mode. Did that, Outlook just sat there. Used the task manager again to quit outlook. Tried rebooting again. Outlook comes up, but the cursor is constantly the hour-glass and I can't do anything with in the program. Any ideas for fixing this? Thanks. Close Outlook. Find and rename outcmd.dat to .old. (If using Windows 2000 or XP, you will need to e...

cell will not center
Hi. I have a user with an Excel worksheet. There are multiple rows and columns and they are all set on center alignment, (center alignment icon on the toolbar as well as Format Cells --> Horizontal Alignment --> Center.) The alphabetical characters align correctly but the numerical don't, as they will only left align. Format Cells --> Number is set to General, so I don't know why it won't change the alignment. Other than the worksheet being corrupted, I don't know what could be wrong with it. Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks! Hilary =?Utf-8?B?SG...

Count # of cells b/w cells ...
Hello, I have the following data in a column: 7 0 0 0 7 0 0 0 0 0 7 0 0 7 0 0 0 0 0 0 7 etc. The number of zero's between the 7's is random. I want a formula tha would count the number of zeros between the 7's. Thanks, Ari Bar -- AriBar ----------------------------------------------------------------------- AriBari's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2504 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38806 Assume A5:A20 is the data, try this: B5 = A5+B4 (copy formula down) Now make a table with 2 column...

Too many different cell formats #6

format cell #4

Changing the border of one cell s/n change the border of adjacent
Changing the border of one cell s/n change the border of adjacent cell ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=a7b8ab80-b31f-40cf-8e15-61852a054bd8&dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc This is not p...

How to set locks to 0
HI Under SQLServer2005 Advanced Properties - Parallelism, I need to set Locks to zero (0) because I suspect that 5000 locks that it shows actualy, have triggered the following error: "the instance of the sql Server Database Engine cannot obtain a LOKC resource at this time. Rerun your statement when there are fewer users...." I appreciate all your wise suggestions. LAM LAM (luism0@(arroba)yahoo.es) writes: > Under SQLServer2005 Advanced Properties - Parallelism, I need to set > Locks to zero (0) because I suspect that 5000 locks that it shows > a...

delete cell that doesn't contain a specific word
I'm trying to delete a cell in excel if the content of the cell doesn't have a specific word. For example if I only wanted cells if it contained the word 'John' in it. Then the cell: I love excel - would be deleted but the cell: I love excel more than John - would not be deleted. I'm sure it's probably a simple solution but I'm not really sure how to do this. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Try this on a spare copy of the sheet Assuming the text cells are all in col A Select the range, then do a Data > Filter > Autofilter In the autofilter dr...

Find and replace with bold in cells

time formats #3
I have an Excel sheet with a long list of times spent on various projects. The times should all be in minutes and seconds. The first time reads 2:29 and I know that is accurate, for 2 min, 29 seconds. In the formula bar, it reads, 2:29:00 AM. Another...the cell displays 0:40 and I know that is right, for 40 seconds. But in the formula bar, I see 12:40:00 AM I want numbers, but apparently I am looking at times. I tried changing the format. When I check the format for 2:29, it comes up Custom and says it is hh:mm, not mm:ss. I tried changing it to mm:ss, but that changes the displa...

Conditional Formatting on cells beginning with a hyphen
Is it possible to do conditional formatting on cells beginning with a hyphen? Thanks, Greg 1. Place the cursor in A1 cell and select the Range 2. From menu Format>Conditional Formatting> 3. For Condition1>Select 'Formula Is' and paste the below formula =LEFT(A1,1)="-" 4. Click Format Button>Font>Color select your desired font & Background Color pattern and then give ok Change the cell reference of A1 to your desired cell, if required. But keep in mind that when applying the conditional formatting the Active cell should be in the ce...

New Computer #3
How do I move my settings, emails, address book, etc... to my new computer. I'm mostly concerned with Outlook because it's the program I use most often. I have an older computer running WIN2K Pro. I purchased a new Dell computer with Windows XP Pro also with Office 2003. Again how do I make my new Outlook have all the information and settings that my old computer has. I do have both computers connected on my home network and they can see each other. But I'm not sure what to copy over. Any help would be very helpful. Thank You, Paul The file you need to copy and re-use up ...

CRM 3.0
Folks Any way that we can assign leads / opportunities / other entities to teams rather than individuals? All the best Hany Hi Hany, Team ownership is not supported in CRM 3.0. Could you describe your scenario, and maybe we could provide some alternatives? Thanks -- Jay Grewal Microsoft Dynamics CRM This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights. "Electronic Workplace" <info@electronicworkplace.LoseThisBit.com> wrote in message news:O0cfzAT$FHA.140@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Folks > > Any way that we can assign leads /...

Importing #3
I had a previous version of Money and just got a new computer with Money 2004. I have a backup disk made with the info from the previous version. How can I import that into the new version? File|Restore?!? <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:075a01c3d169$a360b0a0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I had a previous version of Money and just got a new > computer with Money 2004. I have a backup disk made with > the info from the previous version. How can I import that > into the new version? ...