Locked cells in IE

Hi,

I need to open an Excel document from a web page.  Active X controls are
restricted and I cant pass the document as a parameter in a shortcut to the
Excel executable because it needs to be generic (and would not e in this
case).

The problem Im having is that the Excel document contains locked cells that
need to remain locked.  When the document opens within the internet explorer
interface the locked cells are not visible and the spreadsheet looks a bit
disjointed.

Does anyone know another way to open the document from a web page or how to
make the cells visible?

Many many thanks in anticipation of your help.  Graham
0
Steria (1)
11/22/2005 10:56:03 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Sorry I dont mean locked cells.  I mean that there is a frozen pane which
needs to remain frozen.

change date in a sql statement from a cell
Hello, I am using Excel 2007 I have a pivot table that gets refresh everyday. The data from the pivot table is based on a sql statement, which the data is connected to a AS/400 table. Here is my problem every morning I go in the connection properties and change the SQLstatement (date) in the command text. I don't want my user to do this. What other option can I do? I was thinking change the date in a cell (A1) and somehow the SQL statement picks up the new date or maybe some sort of parameter, but I am clueless in how to do this. Any tips or website to visit I will a...

Hyperlinks not moving with cells when data is sorted
I have a spreadsheet where I have included hyperlinks. When I sort the data or add new rows, the hyperlinks are NOT moving to the new destination of the cell. Big problem! How do I get Excel to keep the hyperlink moving with the cell, wherever it may go? Using Excel 2003. Thanks. -- Marina ...

Unique Entries/Cell Back Color
I have two columns with Grant Numbers in each column coming from two different databases downloaded to an excel spreadsheet. I will need to first Match the Grant numbers and highlight the whole row if something is unique meaning there are duplicates,triplicates, one exist in one column but not in the other. I need your help! Thanks but for some reason this is not working. Should I put my formula in column C? I have two columns with data in cells A1-A6266 and data in column B1-B5016. I can see the formula it's not working in column C with the results. is there a command that ...

Return the name of cell to sheet name
How do I return the cell name to the sheet name. When I start a ne sheet I write a name in a cell and I want it to automatically renam the sheet to that cell name //Andrea Olsso -- AndreaOlsso ----------------------------------------------------------------------- AndreaOlsson's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1651 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31367 introduce this in <thisworkbook> event code begins Private Sub Workbook_SheetSelectionChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range) ActiveSheet.Name =...

CELL FORMATTING #9
WHY IS MY CELL FORMAT AT WORK DISPLAYED PROPERLY AS -1,500.OO IS DISPLAYED AS (1,500.00) AND WHEN i DO IT AT HOME Ii CANNOT GET THE CLOSEST I GOT IS -1,500.00 is there a diffence between the formatting cell options between Excel's programs.. Thanx. Hi Bumpa! Excel takes it from your Windows Regional options. Use: Start > Settings > Control Panel > Regional options Change the negative number format You'll find that you now have () options. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classific...

how do i delete cells or duplicate cells in a table ?
I went to make a table with 8 colums and 3 rows, which turned out fine..but now i need to make 3 more rows added on but half the size long with only 2 colums.. so i figure i can just duplicate or copy from my table 3 of these rows and shirk it and delete 1 cell...but trying to get help on how to add or remove cells seems the hard part ...

Outlook XP Menu Locks
Odd issue has just popped up. Outlook XP on a few different computers this week all ahve gotten the same issue. While working in a new email, or while a few emails or drafts are open, the toolbars and menus all become locked. Can't click on any of them. Hot keys like Ctrl + C don't work either. The only option is to close down all of the drafts or messages opened to get it working again. This just started this past week and is happening on multiple machines. What is weird, we have Access 97 on these computers as well. It too is doing the same behaviour while c...

Chart Title or Text Box Linked to cell & sheet
I need to create charts from data collected via a com port. As i stands, the data is written to sheet 1. Chart 1 is ready to plot dat as it is written. Once the data is complete, I copy sheet 1 and char 1. This results in sheet 1(2) and Chart 1(2). All references to shee 1 on the newly created chart 1(2) automatically changes to refer t sheet 1(2). This applies to data ranges, Chart Title, Axis names. When creating text boxes refering to sheet1!$A$1, the reference doe not automacially change to sheet 1(2)!$A$1. Can this be done? If not, can I create multiple chart titles? Any help o...

Free Cell card game
Currently this card game appears at the top left of my 21 inch screen. I wish to have it in the centre touching the bottom of the screen each time it appears. How do I achieve this. Thank you for your interest. Bushy And your Microsoft Word question is? "Ernie from Dunedin NZ" <Ernie from Dunedin NZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E05D1650-D1CA-4E1C-96FB-CF8EC0D17277@microsoft.com... : Currently this card game appears at the top left of my 21 inch screen. : I wish to have it in the centre touching the bottom of the screen each time : it appe...

Export data from the same cell from multiple spreadsheets into a n
Hi, I am working with weekly timeshets in Excel and I am using the same form every week, but save it as a file named "Timesheet 20100122" for a week ending on Fri, Jan 22, 2010 (Our accounting week period). Therefore the daily hours appear every week in the same cell. I would need to export these hours to another - summarizing - spreadsheet (For example and invoice spreadsheet) somehow automatically. Any help would be welcomed. Thanks for your help, Cheers, Try http://www.rondebruin.nl/merge.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm ...

sorting cells
when I try to sort a spreadsheet by certain columns, why does it mix everything up? "mix everything up" is not very informative. More information, please: What columns are in your data range? By what columns are you sorting? What is the result you get? -TedMi "Help with cell function" <Helpwithcellfunction@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7886A10E-903D-40C9-8D2A-279090F2D644@microsoft.com... > when I try to sort a spreadsheet by certain columns, why does it mix > everything up? Be careful when you highlight the data that y...

Split text cell into seperate colums without splitting up a word
I have text cells with sentences ranging from 0 to 160 characters long. I want to break these into 40 character chunks (in separate cells), but don't want to split any word in half. ie, if the 40 char mark is in the middle of the work, I want to go backwards, find where the word starts and split from that point. It's exactly like a wrap text -- but I want to split those lines up into separate cells. thanks kaf If your sentence were in A1, use these 4 formulas: B1: =LEFT(A1,MAX((MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:40")),1)=" ")*ROW (INDIRECT("1:40")))) C1: =LEF...

File in Use
Here's a bit of an odd one. We have a report from one group of users about an issue they are having with opening files in a particular directory on one of our file servers (Windows Server 2003 SP1 in 2003 Domain). When the user (client is Windows xP SP2, Office 2003) attempts to open an excel file in this directory that is opened by another user, they get the usual "File in Use" prompt (with - Read Only, Notify and Cancel as options). Usually in such a situation it will say "Filename.xls is locked for editing by 'username'." but for some reaon the usernam...

Hyperlink problem to cell in same workbook
I have a hyperlink created by a VB program that should link to a cell on a different worksheet within the same book. The hyperlink code currently is as follows: =HYPERLINK(ADDRESS(4,2,1,FALSE,"MultipleAliases"),"MULTIPLE DP ALIASES") MultipleAliases is a separate worksheet and I want the link to jump to row 4 cell 2 on this sheet. I realise that normally you need a spreadsheet identifier as part of the worksheet definition, thus the "MultipleAliases" would be "[FILE1.XLS]MultipleAliases" if this was saved as FILE1.XLS. If I do save this file wi...

"Address" of current cell
Is there a function that will return the "address" of the active cell? In other words, if I'm on cell G9, it there a function I can use that will return 'G9?' TIA Doug Hi Doug try =ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN()) Frank Doug Mc wrote: > Is there a function that will return the "address" of the active cell? > In other words, if I'm on cell G9, it there a function I can use that > will return 'G9?' > > TIA > Doug Or slightly less typing =CELL("address") -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@fr...

I did install Genuine Advantage ActiveX control. But why could not find it in my IE Add-ons List?
Several days ago, I downloaded Windows Mobile Device Center from Micorosft web site for my Windows 7. As it needed Windows Genuine Verification, I installed the Genuine Advantage ActiveX control for my IE8. But now, I can not find this activeX control in my IE Add-ons List( IE -> Tools -> Manage Add-ons options of Internet Explorer ). Anyone could tell me why and where? Thanks in advance. It installed and it is not removable in any shape or form. Once done (Genuine Advantage ActiveX) it is done :-) -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of oth...

Rename Cell Name
hey all, i have change the cell anem from A1 to StartCell. Bu, how can i rename it back to A1 or change it to another name? Thanks in advance Regards Dragon Hi Dragon go into insert / name / define - you can delete the name there and create another if you wish. Cheers JulieD "Dragon" <Dragon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B6A6510E-0233-4B2A-8A0C-F16F73585CBA@microsoft.com... > hey all, i have change the cell anem from A1 to StartCell. Bu, how can i > rename it back to A1 or change it to another name? > Thanks in advance > Regards > Drago...

Need a ZERO as the first character in a cell
How do you make the first number in a string of numbers a zero and keep it there? Depends on if you want a *true* number, or a text number. For Text, precede the entry with an apostrophe ( ' ), OR, pre-format the cell as text. For true numbers, custom format the cell with the number of digits you're using: 00000 -- HTH, RD ===================================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ===================================================== "Mr_Jim" <MrJim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news...

need some help with: formatting of x2 dates in 1 cell
Hi and thanks to anyone who reads this. I have a worksheet which contains two columns of dates. In a second worksheet i have a column which adds the two dates together as TEXT and ommits dates which are blank which works perfectly, however: I would like to know how i could format each of the 2 dates in the 1 cell to have different font colors? Here is my existing cell formula: =IF('Data'!E2=0,"",(TEXT('Data'!E2,"dd/mm/yy"))&" "&IF('Data'!F2=0,"",TEXT('Data'!F2,"dd/mm/yy"))) I have a feeling its not...

A2 cell reference increment
I want to reference a cell using some math: $B(1+1) which I would hope equals $B2 and the cell would then contai a reference to $B2. How does one perform math funtions to the row part of a reference? I what to be able to reference a cell that contains a cell reference So Cell A1 would contain the text B12 cell A2 would reference to cell A1 and show the contents of B12. and in cell A3, I want to show the contents of B13... but I want t take the contents of cell A1 and increment it from B12 to B13... How do I do that? I tried simple math like $B(1+1) which does no equal $B2. T...

cell format update problem #2
say, c1, c2 is formatted as text. and a1,a2,b1, b2 are formatted as general. a1=1,a2=2, b1=1, b2 =2 and I entered c1 =a1+b1, c1 shows =a1+a2 as it is, not 3. I drag the corner of c1 and copy c1 to c2, c2 is a2+b2, So I have to F2 and enter all the cells, c1, c2. Is there a way other than "F2" and "Enter"? Consider formating c1 and c2 as general. Good Luck. "news.microsoft.com" wrote: > say, > c1, c2 is formatted as text. > and a1,a2,b1, b2 are formatted as general. > > a1=1,a2=2, b1=1, b2 =2 > > and I entered c1 =a1+b1, > c1 shows...

Extracting Data in Cells in order -- (or) eliminating empty cell space in a column
Hi I have this problem that I bet is easy to solve, but i am lost. I am an expert at the slow way to do things, but maybe there is a better way. The only way I can describe the problem is by means of an example. Lets say I have a column of numbers: >_A_|_B_| etc >> 1_1_|___| 2_3_|___| 3_2_|___| 5_5_|___| 5_3_|___| 6_4_|___| 7_7_|___| 8_3_|___| 9_1_|___| and then i write a little function in the adjoing cell, B1: =if(a1=3,a2,"") From there I fill down column B to B9. OK, pretty simple so far, right? What I am looking for is instances where I find a '3' in co...

Remove extra characters from a cell
This may be something simple, but does any one now how to remove leading characters from a cell that was imported from another system. The first 8 characters are zeros and don't belong in my spreadsheet. Thanks in advance. Hi you could enter the following in a helper columne =MID(A1,9,255) and copy this down -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Ann wrote: > This may be something simple, but does any one now how to > remove leading characters from a cell that was imported > from another system. The first 8 characters are zeros and > don't belong in my spreadshe...

What is Excel hotkey for cell lock, C1 to $c$1
I recall a hotkey that can lock all the cell references in a formula. ex. A1+B1 to $A$1+$B$1 the F4 function key "BLUTO" wrote: > I recall a hotkey that can lock all the cell references in a formula. > ex. A1+B1 to $A$1+$B$1 Select the formula (or a part of a formula) in the formula bar, and press F4 to cycle between the 4 reference styles. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "BLUTO" <BLUTO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3B63B604-B495-4B8D-A791-060613174EA6@microsof...

Get external data locks csv file
I have a scenerio where I am querying a csv file off from a network drive using excel. This file is appended with information written by another computer. When I import a text file using a database query with the microsoft text driver I intermittently experience a permission denied on the computer writing to this csv file. There is no need for excel to lock the csv file qhen querying (as I am not writing to the file). I modified the DSN file to add readonly=1 which did not work. How can I resolve this issue? Thanks for your help. Dustin ...