Links won't break

What a mess!

I saved a workbook (old) as another name (new).  I then changed the new
workbook as necessary, but it seems to think I'm linking to the old
workbook.  I have used the <edit, link, break links> in the workbook, and it
seems to be ok for a moment, and then seems to link back to the old
workbook.  I have no idea what's going on....

In addition to this problem, the arrow keys are now moving the entire sheet
up/down, right/left, instead of moving to a different cell.

Can someone explain what I need to do to make the new workbook unrelated to
any other workbook  And what's the problem with the arrow keys (same for any
workbook)?

Thanks for your help,
Bernie

0
iamnu (61)
12/1/2004 7:00:21 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Ok, one problem solved.  The problem with the arrow keys was that the scroll
lock was on.

I hope someone can help with the "link" problem.

Thanks again,
Bernie

"bw" <iamnu@cableone.net> wrote in message
> What a mess!
>
> I saved a workbook (old) as another name (new).  I then changed the new
> workbook as necessary, but it seems to think I'm linking to the old
> workbook.  I have used the <edit, link, break links> in the workbook, and
it
> seems to be ok for a moment, and then seems to link back to the old
> workbook.  I have no idea what's going on....
>
> In addition to this problem, the arrow keys are now moving the entire
sheet
> up/down, right/left, instead of moving to a different cell.
>
> Can someone explain what I need to do to make the new workbook unrelated
> any other workbook  And what's the problem with the arrow keys (same for
any
> workbook)?
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Bernie

0
iamnu (61)
12/1/2004 7:06:23 PM
When I can't find links, I'll use Bill Manville's FindLink program:
http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm

Some of them are difficult to find.

--

Dave Peterson
0

The AddIn found and fixed all the links.  I sure don't understand why
workbooks are linked, without asking me if I want to link them.  But at
least you gave me a way out.  I appreciate it very much.

Bernie

"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@netscapeXSPAM.com> wrote in message
> When I can't find links, I'll use Bill Manville's FindLink program:
> http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm
>
> Some of them are difficult to find.
>
> bw wrote:
> >
> > What a mess!
> >
> > I saved a workbook (old) as another name (new).  I then changed the new
> > workbook as necessary, but it seems to think I'm linking to the old
> > workbook.  I have used the <edit, link, break links> in the workbook,
and it
> > seems to be ok for a moment, and then seems to link back to the old
> > workbook.  I have no idea what's going on....
> >
> > In addition to this problem, the arrow keys are now moving the entire
sheet
> > up/down, right/left, instead of moving to a different cell.
> >
> > Can someone explain what I need to do to make the new workbook unrelated
> > any other workbook  And what's the problem with the arrow keys (same for
any
> > workbook)?
> >
> > Thanks for your help,
> > Bernie
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
iamnu (61)
12/2/2004 11:06:43 AM
Well, I only pointed at Bill Manville's addin and that did all the work.

But glad you got it resolved.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Suform not linking
Help! I cannot see the problem. My forms don't link. Parent form's record source is tbl2PO, InvNum PK, ClientID is in the table. Subforms's record source is tbl1ScheduledPO, ClientID PK. The intent of the form is to update/add/edit tbl2PO while displaying (only) the ScheduledPO data. Using the wizard, I added the subform to the parent with Master/Child linking ClientID. When I open the form it works fine for the parent, but there is never any display in the subform -- when a record really does exist. There is no ClientID displayed in the control so I assume it is not lin...

emailing link from Explorer tool bar
Prior to the installation of xp ( i used to use millenium) when I "send a link" from IE 6.0 it opens Outlook Express as it should but adds the url as an attachment rather than in the body of the email which I prefer. I can't find any setting adjustments on OE 6 or IE 6. Anyone with any ideas? This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97-2003 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5...

Simultaneously sort 2 worksheets using linked column
I have 1 worksheet (Attendance) that keeps track of attendance. Rows 10 - 37 (27 students) with columns J - DQ for recording daily attendance. I'm designing a 2nd worksheet (Progress) in the same workbook to keep track of progress. Currently, the student names on Progress are linked to those on Attendance. This works fine. However, when I sort Attendance, only the student names on Progress move causing information on this second sheet to no longer correspond to the correct student. Is there a way to sort Attendance and have the data I enter on Progress stay with the names they're...

Exchange 2003 link
Why doesn't this link work for me? A registered user in Exchange 2003, named username wants to access the calendar with https://server/exchange/username/calendar The response is just "Page cannot be found 404" /Johan Did you try Http://server...ect ??? >-----Original Message----- >Why doesn't this link work for me? A registered user in >Exchange 2003, named username wants to access the calendar >with > >https://server/exchange/username/calendar > >The response is just "Page cannot be found 404" > >/Johan > > > &...

Can't open embedded link in OL2K message
Hi All, I have a user that is unable to open an embedded link from an Outlook message. HTTP: doesn't work but MAILTO: does. If I forward the mail to a client using the same version of Outlook or OL2K3 & the same version of IE, the link works as expected. Can anyone help? She's running: OL 3K SP3 (9.0.0.6627) IE 6.0.2900.2180 SP2 (w/ all settings set back to defaults) Thanks & Ciao, Tony A common cause for failure is loss of "file association". Do the following: Windows explorer>tools>folder options>File types>scroll to "HTML">s...

Links in emails won't work
When I try to click on a link in any email that is sent to me I get the following message "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." This problem has only recently started. Links worked ok before. I am the system administrator and cannopt recall altering any settings. Thank You in advance for any help. What kind of link, and for that matter, which Outlook? I know that the XNK files that used to work as links to other people's Outlook folders seem to have stopped working as of Office 2003 SP3...

how speed up links?
Thanks for any help. I have an Excel worksheet that has 13 links to one other file. The links are in form of file name, worksheet name, & cell address in the cells of this file. Like: =('M:\PRODUCTION\LCA-ACTL\LIBRARY\ECF Reports\2005-08\[ECF - 08-19pm.xls]Main Portfolio'!G22)/1000 I also have a macro that changes the file in the link, using search and replace: Cells.Replace What:=c, Replacement:=H, LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, ReplaceFormat:=False For example, c='[ECF - 08-19pm.xls]' and H='[ECF - 08-20pm.xls]'...

two linked files maintained by Sharepoint
Currently, I have one excel file which has both data entry and charting in it, Roughly about 3Mb file. I would to split this document into two pieces: the data entry portion and the charting portion, where "chart.xls" would reference the cells in tdataEntry.xls" The data entry portion is too complex, to store just as a complex list in Sharepoint. But we don't need to have each use check in/check out the entire 3 MB each time. 1. It is possible to have two linked Excel documents in Sharepoint? Thus, a user could to check out only the "dataEntry.xls" or both...

Transfer Cell Formatting for linked cells
How do you get the cell formatting (color) to transfer to a linked cell? Example: I have added color (red) to a particular cell (A1) in Sheet1. I have linked cell (B2) in Sheet 2 to the red colored cell (A1) in Sheet1 (i.e. =+Sheet1!A1). The cell value (A1) on Sheet1 transfers to the cell (B2) in Sheet2, however the color (red) does not transfer to cell (B2) in Sheet2. I want the cell value and the color (red) to transfer from cell (A1) Sheet1 to the cell (B2) in Sheet2. Is there a way to get the cell formatting/color to transfer along with the cell values from one linked cell to ...

Problem with linking??
Apologies first if this is very simple it has been a long day and I am beginning to confuse myself...... 9my own fault for volunteering to give it a go) I have a master spreadsheet which has sheets for September '04 through to September '05 on these sheets are different depts: Eg January Sheet Dept one Dept Two Dept three etc The format is the same for each month. Each department has a total which is calculated from another workbook with spreadsheets for each week Eg January week one, Jan wk 2, Jan wk 3, Jan wk 4, Each sheet with the dept totals for that week. At the moment in th...

Excel 2000 under Terminal Services 2003
I am unable to drag and move page breaks in Excel page break preview under Windows 2003 Terminal Services. Any help please ...

How to Page Break correctly in Report Writer?
I have a customer statement modified report in GP and I am trying to get the report to Page Break when it goes to next customer record, because obviouslly I cannot have 2 customers on same page. So I created a additional footer in Section Options and set it to Page Break on Customer Number. That is working fine, it does page break when customer record changes. But when I have a customer that has 2 pages worth of invoices listed, on the 2nd page header it will list the Name of the following customer. Why is that? For example, I have a customer called ABC and XYZ. It will print the 1st ...

reporting tools linking with excel
Hi... Supposing i want a report to be generated from excel....something like using crystal reports.... is it feasible to link a reporting tool with excel.... I hope i am clear. thanks Monika ...

Info about static library and linking
Hi All, Could anybody point me to resources that describe exactly what happens when one makes a static library from a code -- parsing is done, compilation is done, then there must be some where the information about the function in the library is located, how it is organized etc. Similarly, what exactly happens when we link the static library to the code. I have been trying to use a static library for three days, I have been put off by the error "unresolved symbol" or "unresolved external identifier" etc and I cannnot understand what is going on. Regards, Nure <nu...

Linking to a data range containing blank cells
I'm using MS Excel 2003. I've got a chart from range of data gives the calculates accumulated total from another table and would like the option to have the calculation result in a blank cell that is not plotted as a zero. I tried the following IF statement: =IF(Q6="","",Q6+P12) but "" is still treated as a zero. Any suggestions? Thanks, - James =IF(Q6="",NA(),Q6+P12) -- David Biddulph "James from Sage" <JamesfromSage@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8E4CCAF0-07B1-4398-95FE-605DDB6C6A44@microsoft.com......

Excel 2002
Hello, I've got a problem with formatting changes not updating in linked document... Simply put, if you have a document that has a linked cell to another worksheet, the formatting ie...COLORS doesn't change when you change the source document with the linked document??? Yes, for instance text will be updated... but again, not formatting like making it BOLD or changing the colors of the text! Any ideas... I did see a KB article 1009182 regarding a problem linking WORD with Excel... but not Excel with Excel and the formatting not holding... it possibly is the case with Excel to Excel ...

Excel and linked files
Just wondering if anyone can help I am running a spreadsheet at work, which has 2 files linked to it. On a computer running windows 2000 and Excel 2000 the links work fine. However, on a computer running Win98SE and Excel 2000, the links only work if the linked files are open when the main spreadsheet is opened. If the 2 linked files are not open, Excel crashes when it tries to link them. Does anyone know what causes this, and whether it can be rectified? If it helps, all 3 files are on a network drive. Many thanks Neal -- "NealUK" wrote... >Just wondering if anyone can hel...

Linking/Printing Excel into Word
When copying and paste linking from Excel into Word for financial statments, and then trying to print - sometimes the fonts are correct, other times, the fonts print out unusually large or incredibly small. Is there a way to fix this??? I have updated links as needed, but still have a problem with the fonts changing. We print to the same printer over the same network. Thanks! ...

Outlook Not Opening Yahoo News Alert Links
Hello, My Outlook is not opening Yahoo News Alert Links. The first part of these news alerts are headlines, in the form of links. You click on a certain link that you want to read, and it is supposed to take you directly to the story, further down in the email. My Outlook is not doing that. The link appears to be active (I think) when I place the cursor on it, but nothing happens when I click. I have to scroll down to the story manually. When I click on the "top" link to go back up to the headlines - that works. Can anyone help me with why the headline links may not wo...

Link Tables in MDE file
Is it possible to have Link Table Wizard in MDE file? You mean the Linked Table Manager? No, but it's easy to build your own equivalent. See http://www.mvps.org/access/tables/tbl0009.htm at "The Access Web" for one approach. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Leonidas" <Leonidas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:60863F14-FD58-4D6C-B8E0-5249847835CA@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to have Link Table Wizard in MDE file? ...

3 linked combo boxes in a form
I need some assistance with a form in Access. I have a combo box based on a Shop table. It is followed by a combo box based on an Area table. The areas are unique to each shop. I have created an SQL query that makes it so when a certain shop is selected in the first (Shop) combo box, only the areas unique to that shop are selectable from the Area combo box. I have also added a macro to requery the Shop combo box to update the Area selectable items. Now here is my problem. I have a third combo box for Equipment that is based on an equipment table listing over 900 pieces of equipment specif...

Contact data link to Lead?
I'm trying to figure out how (or maybe if) a Contact record maintains a link with its corresponding Lead. I've promoted a Lead to a Contact, and the Lead record's ContactId is not being populated as I had expected. I then checked the ContactLeads table and thought maybe that's where the link was being made but that table is also empty. Does CRM not maintain the Lead-Contact relationship by default? The schema seems to suggest that this is possible but perhaps it's something we have to build in ourselves? The link is the other way around; the contact has an originanti...

Table linked 1:1 not cascade deleting
I have table T1 related 1:M to T2 which is related 1:1 to T3. When I delete a record from T1, the corresponding records are deleted from T2 but the 1:1 related records in T3 are not. When I inspect the relationship between T2 and T3 I see that the three buttons (first is "Enforce Referential Integrity") are disabled but Access recognizes that the relationship is 1:1. Why doesn't the record in T3 delete as well when I delete the master record in T1? Any idea what could be happening here? In the form displaying T1 I suppose I could put code in the AfterDelConfirm() method t...

ability to link item+vendor to one or many bar codes (18digits)
It will be helpful to have the ability to link a vendor+item with multiple corresponding barcodes. This will allow to scan merchandise label with different barcodes by different vendor and riconcile it to the same item. It is needed also for future use of EDI mapper/parser integration. Should be able to handle a barcode filed of 15-18digits Thanks and regards, Andrea Risaliti ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If y...

?? Links Not Updating ??
We have a workbook containing multiple worksheets. Inside the workbook there are links between the worksheets that have stopped updating as well as links between worksheets that do continue to update. For example: 1) Worksheet A = 'Sheet1!A2' 2) Sheet1 Cell A2 is changed from $50 to $100 3) Worksheet A will continue to show $50 This is a scarey problem and the second time in the past month it's occured (different workbooks, different lapops). - Automatic calculation has been enabled. - This is a stand alone workbook that does not link to other workbooks. - This file was cr...