Links Problem

I have a spreadsheet which contains links to other spreadsheets on m
PC.

When I send the spreadsheet to a friend and they open it and clic
"Don't Update" they get errors where the linked formulas are.

I thought that as long as you didn't try to update the links th
spreadsheet should be OK and look the same as when it left m
computer.

HELP !!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad

--
Hibbste
Hibbster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3016

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

xl2002+ likes to recalculate any workbooks that were created in previous
versions.  In earlier versions of excel, if you answer No to the update links
prompt, the existing values are kept.  In xl2002+, you get those errors.

Jim Rech posted a registry tweak:
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=uzkujhMHEHA.3284%40TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl

--

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12005)
1/5/2006 8:42:50 PM
Hi - I'm not the most tech savy but I've felt your pain and was
compelled to respond.  When I first saw this issue, I had first
converted over to Excel 2003 and was trying to work with files that had
links in them that were created under Excel 2000 - what I understood
was that because of the version diffs, Excel forces links to
calculate/update before saving to your harddrive (even though you said
'don't update' when you first updated the file).  When it tries to calc
a link for a file that isn't housed on your harddrive, the link fails
and you get a "#REF!" error.  You can get around this by making sure
the 'autocalc upon saving function' is turned off but if you are like
me, you might have some files that have links to files not on your
computer and other formulas that you work with that you do want to
update as you make changes (its apparently an all or nothing calc with
Excel now)...so that was not a feasible option for me.

Excel 2003 has added a 'break the link' function under Edit/Links
however it will appear greyed out and thus not be available if any of
the sheets housing the link have been protected.  So unprotect the
sheets and this function works nicely - any cells that had links will
be replaced with the value that the link previously produced.

There is also something called a "Find Link" Add-In function that
someone at the Microsoft Support center gave me that was (and continues
to be) very valuable.  This add-in is nice in that it does the same
thing that the above 'breaking links' function does however, this also
allows you to mass-unprotect your worksheets and even delete other
errors out there on your worksheets.

Again, I'm not a techie - maybe someone else has other ideas...

Outlook 2002 problem with Eudora
We have a computer that is running Office XP and using Outlook 2002 for their email. Another computer in our office is a MAC that is using Eudora 6.0.1. If the MAC user sends any attachment in their email to the computer running Outlook 2002, the attachments do not come through. If the MAC user sends the same email to a computer in the same office running Outlook 2000, the attachments come through and they are able to open it. The file type is not one that is blocked by XP, we have sent PDF, EXCEL and Word files and none are received. Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks...

Combo Box problem 05-07-07
I have a combo control on a form that has when I select a value the form reverts to the first record it doesn't stay with the current record. I have a NotinList procedure that opens another form to enable the user to add to the list of values in the combo control and when I close this second form the new value is recorded but again the form goes to the first record and doesn't stay with the current one. Anyone any ideas where I can start looking for the reason why this happens? Thanks Tony Tony Williams wrote: > I have a combo control on a form that has when I select a val...

outlook 2003 problem
hello... my clients have mentioned a "problem" and i am stumped on what to do with it on user accounts that have been renamed because a user left and we wanted the new user to take over their account, after changing the display name, alias, etc. when typing part of their last name in outlook, in the brackets next to it, outlook still shows the prior users login name (i have changed the login name, alias, etc..) all any idea on how to correct this? thanks ed On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 12:45:16 -0400, "Eddie Walker" <ewalker3REMOVEME@prodigy.net> wrote: >hello...

Excel Time Problem
I exported a file from a telephone switch reporting system as a "tab separated text" file, because when I export the data in Excel I have to deal with merged cells and other formatting problems. I have a couple of columns that have time values like 160:02:05 for logged in time, and 34:16:46 as the waiting dime� Both are time �DURATIONS� or time in a state. I used the Format, Cell, custom and [ss] to get the duration value to seconds, and I get 123406 and 576125 respectively. I then use these numbers in a calculation typically like 1338 / (576125 - 123406) and I get 219 as the an...

Problems with MS-DateTime-Picker 6.0
My userform has a Multipage control on top. My Microsoft Date-Time-Picker 6.0 Control is sitting on "Page 1" of the Multi-page control. If I change to "Page 2" and try to access the ".Value" of the DTPicker control, it will return an error value. (It is returning the year 1899). What is wrong here? Does the DTPicker need to be on the visible page to be used?? Are there any other things I should know about this DTPicker control? Robert, You could assign the DTPicker's value to a public date variable in its change event. HTH, Be...

Upgrade from Money 2004 to Money 2005
I just upgraded from Money 2004 to Money 2005, and 2 of my accounts (a savings account and a credit card) showed significantly different balances from the last time I looked at them in Money 2004. It seems that, for some reason, when it converted my 2004 file to 2005, it only grabbed a portion of the transactions, and considered the balance as of just before the first transaction it grabbed to be $0, when both accounts actually had non-zero balances at that time. Am I missing something, or is Money 2005 just that poorly designed? In microsoft.public.money, dbrebel wrote: >I just upgrade...

Re: Two-Column Problem
After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Charley Kyd <kyd@incsight.com>... > But now, when I add a pair of pages, Publisher gives me guides for two > columns per page but gives me only one page-wide textbox per page, > not two. Can't you create your text boxes yourself? Or change the text box that appears to a two-column one? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaimer: http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm ...

Enabling FBA problem
Hello, I have one exchange 2000 server installed on win 2k,and everything works fine. When I try to enable forms based authentication with Exch system manager on HTTP virtual server, I receive this error "You must use the IIS Admin to manage this virtual server's settings", but when I start IIS admin console I don't see that option. Can anyone help me with this General wrote: > Hello, > > I have one exchange 2000 server installed on win 2k,and everything works > fine. > When I try to enable forms based authentication with Exch system manager on > HTTP...

Pivot Table Refresh Problems
Hi All: Hoping that someone can help. I am trying to refresh a pivot table using the following code which was inserted on the Daily Production Output Sheet(both sheets in the same workbook). I am using Excel 2003 Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate() 'If data on this worksheet changes, refresh the pivot table Sheets("Daily Production Output").PivotTables("PivotTable3").RefreshTable End Sub The Calculation has been set to Automatic. However when I try to run the above code I am getting the following error" Run Time error 1044, Application defined or Object defin...

Error in posting 4 times! Frustrating problems with html signatures and styles (normal.dot)
I just learned that the message posted 4 times; I thought I had canceled the previous posts where I had not filled in the right newsgroups.... On my machine, it only shows posted 1 time; but I guess that the news server does not support cancellations of posts. Sorry about that...... ...

vlookup problem #3
I am trying to a vlookup on formatted text. I I had a long string and extracted certain characters from it using the "mid" function. Now if do a vlookup on the extracted list it doesnt work. But if I were t actually type in the values in the extracted list the vlookup start working. I tried changing the format of the extracted list to general number and text..nothing works. Can anybody please tell me what I am doing wrong? I know my vlookup i correct because it works when i type the values in the table array. thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Check to be ...

FRx Export problem
Hi all, Hope someone can help. One of our users is trying to do an export from FRx to excel but is faced with the following error: Error 200 Application-defined or Object-defined error. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this is happening? Many thanks Grant ...

mvps.org Restricted Site problem
WinXP/SP3/IE8 For some reason when I go to some pages of the MVPS.ORG stie (HostFile page specifically, but also others) the task bar displays "Restricted Site" and IE8 will not let me download the host file. The Restricted Site list (tools/internet options/security tab) has no entry for mvps.org that I can find but the Trusted Site list has the mvps host file page specifically listed. Can any one give me a means to correct this problem. P.S. I've made no entries into either site, AdAware and SpyBot must have made all entries. Thanks. ...

Help!!! Migration Problem!
Morning Guys, We're migrating from one Windows 2003 domain to another (acquisition). DomainA.lab - Forest Trust 2000, Domain Trust 2003 DomainB.lab - Forest Trust 2003, Domain Trust 2003 Migration from DomainA.lab to DomainB.lab - Trust relationship external, 2-way, Domain Wide Authentication Side Filtering disabled on both domain and I can also see the SID History attribute which is correct Problem: Users in domainA cant can't access SOME shares on domainB computers. The SIDHistory attribute in DomainB matches the SID of the group in DomainA, but still no luck. Any su...

Dead Link
All of a sudden hyperlinks in my emails are not active. I click on them and nothing happens. I have to copy and paste into browser. Is there a setting I must toggle?? Ernie -- which version of outlook? what folder? if junk email, it's by design. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Ex...

hyperlink Problem #5
I am unable to launch a PDF document in word/excel XP/2003 using the Hyperlink facility. Every other type of document launches OK, but not PDF, even from the same folder. Any ideas? Acrobat reader flashes onscreen for fraction of a second, and disappears. Everything else works fine. Opens and stays open for me (Excel 2003). Doesn't seem to be an Excel issue else it wouldn't open at all. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "Brian Mateer" <Brian Mateer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6C9F7218-86EF-44AF-92A5-2C91C9733C85@microsoft.com... |I am unable to launch ...

graph creation from table using cells with links not possible
Hello, I have problem with MS Excel 2003. It´s impossible to create a graph from the table which is automatically fullfilled by the links to another sheet. I have to fullfill the table manually (numbers not links to them are physically in the cells) and only then I´m able to create the graph correctly. Is there some possibillity, how to create a graph from the table wich has links instead real numbers in the cells? Thanks for Your ideas. Regards, Bobr. ...

multithreading problem
Hi, I have a Dialog based application, and in my CPingPongDld class a I've got a pointer: CSimpleEngine *SimpleEngine; and static method: static UINT ThreadFunc (LPVOID pParam); I create CSimpleEngine object in OnInitDialog() SimpleEngine = new CSimpleEngine(rect,this); and after it I call: AfxBeginThread(ThreadFunc, this); I would like to call one of CSimpleEngine methods in ThreadFunc so the function looks like this: UINT CPingPongDlg::ThreadFunc(LPVOID pParam) { CPingPongDlg *This = (CPingPongDlg*)pParam; This->SimpleEngine->EnterMessageLoop(); ret...

ComboBox problem
On my Userform, there is one ComboBox with 5 TextBoxes. Depending what is selected on the dropdown list of the ComboBox will depend what is displayed in the TextBoxes. The problem I have is that when choosing an item from the list in order to update the data in the TextBoxes I have to select one TextBox. Is there a way so that the moment an item is selected it changes all the textboxes? hoyos;581328 Wrote: > On my Userform, there is one ComboBox with 5 TextBoxes. Depending what > is > selected on the dropdown list of the ComboBox will depend what is > displayed...

Advanced budget problem
I am trying to use the advanced budget. I enter all of my expenses and Money automatically enters some my apay bills. Everything on the expenses form looks fine. However, when I go to the budget summary page, it doubles the budget amount for two of the apay bills. I cannot figure out how to change this amount or why it is doing this. When I click on edit transactions, one of the problem categories shows the bill twice, while the other shows it only once (but the total is twice the amount). FWIW - the essential budget appears to work fine, but doesn't allow me to use the sub-ca...

Problem accepting a transaction (Money 2004)
I accidently deleted an up coming deposit. Now the actual deposit was recorded to my bank and into money. But I am unable to accept the transaction. Please help "Grownassman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6ea801c42fb2$49fae4c0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I accidently deleted an up coming deposit. Now the actual > deposit was recorded to my bank and into money. But I am > unable to accept the transaction. Please help Do you hit "Accept", and nothing happens? If so, hit "Change", then select the option to enter it as a...

Outlook + Excel problem
Hi All, From outlook I can open all attachment except for excel files. The application is launched and then reports and error reading "The system cannot find the file specified". So the file association is correct. What I'm guessing is that Outlook save the file to a temp location and launches excel with a pointer to this location. No idea how it goes about doing this. The problem is driving me nuts because I have to save every excel file to disk and then open from there. Any ideas very welcome. Thanks Warrick Tools > Options > General, uncheck ignore other applica...

problem:crash on dialog exit.
I have an application which receives data from the socket and displays them on the list control embedded in a Dialog. Before doing DoModal I begin the worker thread to which I have passed a dialog pointer. after receiving one row of data, the worker thread sends a message to the dialog and the message handler inserts the row in the list control. Everything works fine till now. When all the data has been received and the thread has exited....user clicks OK button. The application crashes. This happens only in the release mode. I changed the project settings to see the callstack and here it is ...

Charting Series Problem
I am in need of changing the Axes Scale on my spreadsheet from 0 to 500 to 100 to 900 but in 100 increments. I tried to format the Axis this way but then my data on the chart disappears. When I check the boxes back to automatic, then my data appears. Any help is greatly appreciated. I believe I am using the Office 2000 product. Thanks What kind of chart do you have? What is the range of the data set you are plotting? How many are in the range of 0-100 and 500-900? You don't have to guess about the version of XL. Check Help | About Microsoft Excel -- Regards, Tushar Meht...

Outlook Calendar Appt save problem
If I have an appt on the calendar that I set up and have a few attendees that have already received the initial invite and I edit some content in the invite, it will not allow me to just save it like 2003 did. It forces me to either send out the updated invite or cancel my changes. I haven't changed anything that was pertinent to the attendee. It is just information that our office needs. I don't want to send out an update every time we edit an invite if it just pertains to our office. No, that is not possible. Updating the invite is needed to make sure that everyon...