Linking Time-varying charts

Hi all,

Here's my problem.

I've got a set of Excel files with monthly data which is updated every
month. So in January I only have Jan data. In February I have Jan and
Feb data, and so on.

The chart I have for this data always displays a full 18 months data
from October 2003 to March 2005, and as more data is added, the line on
the chart snakes its way from left to right.

These files are submitted to me from various sources. As a central data
collector,  I now want to link these Excel files into a single Excel
file which will display all the charts in one place for convenience.

How do I link the files and get the charts to display properly in the
new composite Excel file? When I link the data, the months which are
still in the future are displayed as zero, so that the line on the
chart covers all 18 months.

Please see the attached .gif files for an idea of the change in chart
display.

Is there any way of getting rid of the zero data in the linked files?

If you can help with ideas or techniques, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

MG

     Attachment filename: graphs before and after link.gif
Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=587686
---

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi all,

I found a solution.

What needs to be done is to link the source data of the new chart t
the old spreadsheet, rather than just create a new chart which i
sourced to linked data in the new spreadsheet.

time compare
i need an example of how to code a time comparison. i need to check to see if a value in a date/time column is greater than 10 minutes from the current time. i appreciate your help. thanks, mcnewsxp On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 09:25:43 -0400, "Michael Courter" <mcourter@mindspring.com> wrote: >i need an example of how to code a time comparison. >i need to check to see if a value in a date/time column is greater than 10 >minutes from the current time. >i appreciate your help. >thanks, >mcnewsxp > Difftime() -ralph Michael Courter wrot...

EzPaste-xl2ppt Excel add-in, automating the copy/paste of charts and data
Hello, This is to notify about the release of EzPaste (http:// www.EzPaste.net), an Excel add-in intended to completely automate the transfer of charts and data from Excel to PowerPoint. EzPaste identifies automatically all the charts and the tables defined in the active workbook. The user then selects which of them he wants to paste to PowerPoint=AE , and EzPaste does all the work, would you have to paste one or one hundred tables/charts at once Even if you have to paste the selected range or chart, EzPaste does it with the click of a button Sorry if this message is a bit advertising, b...

Changing to Combination-chart from existing chart
I have made a Line-chart containing 8 different series. I now want to change 2 of the series to Bars, but in the same chart. How do I proceed to pick the wanted series and transform them to bars? Regards Jan Hi Jan, Right click a line series that you wish to change. From the popup menu select Chart type and pick bar. Cheers Andy Jan wrote: > I have made a Line-chart containing 8 different series. I > now want to change 2 of the series to Bars, but in the > same chart. > > How do I proceed to pick the wanted series and transform > them to bars? > > Reg...

Autofill In Linked Forms
I have created a couple of forms by selecting all the fileds in the form wizard from two tables: 1. Suppliers (Fields: Supplier, Address, Contact, etc.) 2. Products (Fields: Supplier <Lookedup from Supplier Table>, Product, Rate, etc.) Upon clicking the toggle button on Suppliers form I have the Products form opened. However, as I enter the data in it, I want the Supplier filed in the same be automatically be filled with the Supplier name as in the opened Supplier form so as to be filtered and displayed the next time I open the same instead of manually inserting the sa...

How to add 5 min to current time ()
Greeting, How to add 5 min to current time ()?? On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 21:23:00 -0800, ghost <ghost@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Greeting, >How to add 5 min to current time ()?? DateAdd("n", 5, Now()) or for just a time value - actually a date/time value on December 30, 1899 - DateAdd("n", 5, Time()) -- John W. Vinson [MVP] ...

Static Chart Data Range
Excel-2007, simple line chart: I have a chart that displays several columns of data for rows 2:84. Whenever I insert a new row #2, the new data range for the chart is now 3:85. How do I keep a static data range for my chart (2:84) whenever I insert new rows into the workbook? I have tried editing $A$2:$E$84 to A2:E84 and then saving the changes ... but it is an excercise in futility, it always reverts back to $A$2:$E$84. I would recommend creating a blank row 2, and hiding it. Then, when you insert a new row, you'll be inserting within the boundaries, instead of moving ...

Need help grouping charts
I have identical charts which occur on multiple sheets. Is there any wa to group them for editing? When I group the sheets themselves, it seems to deactivate the charts I tried doing it with a macro as an alternative and then flipping th sheets one by one and keying the macro, but I get a message box with: "Run-time error 1004", "Unable to get the ChartObjects property of th worksheet class". Does anyone have any ideas -- Izz ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Izzy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getin...

Chart to show Portfolio Value over time?
I'm using Money 2003. I would like to be able to see the $ value I have in my portfolio over time. So that I can weep. Money does have a chart view that allows you to see the PRICE history for a given stock over time - but not the dollar value of your investment in the stock over time. In fact, I can't seem to find a view at all that shows you the net value of your portfolio/individual stocks changing over time. The best I've been able to do is to use the "Net Worth" report and unselect all the other accounts. This has insufficient granularity (months instea...

Changing source links in powerpoint
I currently have a powerpoint with source links to other powerpoint slides. These source links are currently internet address based links. I'm trying to change these current internet addresses to new internet addresses and each time I try I receive the error message: "You cannot use an internet address here. Enter a path that points to a location on your computer or on the network". I've been able to change the source links in the past and only began to encounter this problem around mid December. Does anyone know how to correct this or explain why I can no ...

Processes Requiring Lengthy Amounts of Time
Hello: I have several clients with above average databases (sizes greater than 15 GB and up to about 40 GB). When they need to run checklinks, reconciles, and/or year end close processes, it takes forever. Depending on which process, it could take 15 to 30 each to process. That is really tough when you have a business that cannot afford that type of downtime. Now, both of the companies that I am thinking of have hardware that is well within recommended specs based on the MBS hardware recommendations. The memory does not spike to an extreme, nor does activity with the CPUs, but har...

Data labels for Excel 2007 Charts
Hi, I have charts that are based on dynamically populated data. I need the data labels for all of these charts to appear with 0 decimal places. The dynamic data populates with 2 decimal places (X.XX). Is there a universal setting I can apply to the worksheet or even the chart itself, so I do not have to go to each data point/data label and set the formatting to 0 decimal places? Thanks, Courtney ...

change exist chart to be dynamic
Hi all How can I change an existing chart to be dynamic? In series I saw a name in y axis only but no name of x axis. How can I create a series for x axis? Thanks in advance Daniel You need to understand how dynamic charts work. There are tutorials and links to more on this page: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FF77A61A-58A9-4629-90E1-20742E6...

Inconsistant meeting times

Extracting Time from a cell that has both the date and the time
Hi Folks, I could do with some help here please. I am trying to extract the time only from a cell that has both the date and the time. Can anyone suggest a solution? Thanks in advance. :confused: -- Hani Muhtadi ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Hani Muhtadi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26794 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=466177 If you just wish the time to display, set the cell format to Time. If you wish to use the time portion then =A1-Int(A1) will give you...

Interactive Chart Examples
I once was given an Excel file (protected of course - D'Oh!!!) where the person had charts that were interactive. There were various series and you scrolled thru a scroll bar to select the series you wanted. It would change the chart as you scrolled Can anybody point to samples that folks have done to do this. Previous posts have given a few links but I was hoping that someone has an example That I could use so I do not have to develop one from scratch. Thanks. Homer J. Simpson Hi, Have a look at these examples, Series and data http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.h...

Length of time
I am trying to keep track of time spent on a job. I put in the start time and the stop time. Individual day tallies are fine, but when I try to get a total I have 00:50 right now. How can I go from clock time to length of time? Thanks -- Mike D. www.stopassaultnow.org Remove .spamnot to respond by email --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.512 / Virus Database: 309 - Release Date: 8/19/2003 Hi Format the cell as Custom "[h]:mm" Arvi Laanemets "Mike Dobony" <tkdchap@hotmailspam...

Out of Office Assistant replies multiple times
The situation: The user of a fully patched Outlook 2003 SP1 sets an Out of Office reply using the Out Of Office Assistant.. The result: The first time someone sends a message while the OOA reply is turned on, they get the full text of the OOA reply as it is configured. The second and subsequent emails from that same sender gets a truncated version of the OOA message. In my testing, my second message (which isn't supposed to be replied to), got me 2 truncated replies. Examples from my testing: 1st reply: "I am out of the office and will return on Monday, February 28, 2005. At th...

visited links no longer change color
The links still work when clicked but, no longer show purple when visited. This happens in both Outlook and Outlook Express. Yesterday I tried making fonts a little larger as I have eyesight problem. Not sure if this is when the link color problem started. What I did exactly is: *Tools > Options > Mail Format > click "Fonts" button > click "International Fonts" button * At first I went through the list making each one "Larger" font size. * I realized that it's probably only "Western European" I need to change, so all others were set ...

How do I sort data by date excluding time
I would like to sort a database by date and transaction type. The problem is the data sorts by time, even though the field is formatted to show date only, with the transaction type not sorting within the date because it shows up in the time order. How do I get rid of the time? If date/time column is A then you have to use an empty helper column filled with formula =INT(A2) and sort by it. -- Regards! Stefi „markd” ezt írta: > I would like to sort a database by date and transaction type. The problem is > the data sorts by time, even though the field is for...

Re-exporting functions from dynamically linked DLL
Hi, I have the following situation: I have a 3rd party DLL which does not include a LIB file, just a header file with typedef declarations for exported functions (It is intended for dynamic linking) I need to wrap the DLL to allow for callbacks to my own code (in Lisp), and to do this I need to load the DLL using LoadLibrary and access each function that I need using GetProcAddress. So for example: The third party header will say: typedef INT (WINAPI * lp_function)(); Then in my c wrapper file: #include "3rdparty.h" #ifdef _WIN32 #define DllExport __declspec(dllexport) #else #...

Editing more than 1 table at a time with SQL.
Say I have two tables in a DB called TABLE1, and TABLE2. TABLE1 [IDNUMBER] [FIRSTNAME] 1 Ryan 2 Jennifer 3 Monica TABLE2 [IDNUMBER] [LASTNAME] 1 Johnson 2 Snipes 3 Smith My question is would I be able to use SQL in code to Edit, Delete or Insert data to both tables in one string rather than one table at a time? For instance what if I want to change both tables with a [IDNUMBER] = 2 to a [IDNUMBER] = 4, OR change the ...

How do I get a chart to display backwards/forwards?
I have stock data. Row 35 is the nearest day. Row 36 is the next day, etc. When I chart the data using a 2 axes chart (custom), the chart doesn't display backwards. The nearest day displays on the left side of the chart, not the right. How do I change that? Double click on the axis, select the scale tab, and check "Values in reverse order" Jerry Will wrote: > I have stock data. Row 35 is the nearest day. Row 36 is the next day, etc. > When I chart the data using a 2 axes chart (custom), the chart doesn't > display backwards. The nearest day displays on the ...

Working with elapsed time data
How do I set up Excel to accept race times for a cross- country team? I want to enter minutes and seconds for each runner for each race. Then I want to calculate each runner's average time. When I enter minutes and seconds, Excel converts it to the time of day - which is not what I want. Go to www.cpearson.com for lots of tips on working with time. Bernard "DW" <dweskalnies@vertisinc.com> wrote in message news:080f01c38854$46e18100$a401280a@phx.gbl... > How do I set up Excel to accept race times for a cross- > country team? I want to enter minutes and seconds for...

Vlookup, multiple times in one column summing corresponding
I have a list that contains common invoice numbers that appear multipl times in column A and need to use the vlookup function to find and su the corresponding amounts in column B. As you would be aware the following vlookup functio =VLOOKUP(A3,DATA,2,FALSE) will only return the one amount once i reaches a match and I need it to continue down the column and sum al matching invoice numbers. Column A Column B 145768 356.87 145769 678.90 145880 80.87 * 145769 103.55 145770 56.90 145769 78.32 145880 54.09 * The answer I�m looking to return is 145880 134.96 It has to be a vlookup sty...

Bar chart & Category (x) axis labels #2
If you make a bar chart in Excel 2003, and have two columns of text as Category (x) axis labels, the first column is shown vertical and the text in the second column is shown horizontal in the chart. If you open/make the same chart in Excel 97, the text in both columns is shown horizontal. If there is a lot of text, it becomes unreadable when it's vertical. Is this by design or can it be fixed somehow? ...