Linking comments

Is there any way to link comments from once cell to another.  When you link
the contents of one cell to another, is there anyway to capture the comments
as well.

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

How about a userdefined function:

Option Explicit
Function EchoComment(FCell As Range) As Variant
    Application.Volatile

    With Application.Caller
        If .Comment Is Nothing Then
            'do nothing
        Else
            .Comment.Delete
        End If

        If FCell.Comment Is Nothing Then
            'do nothing
        Else
            .AddComment Text:=FCell.Comment.Text
        End If
    End With

    EchoComment = FCell.Value

End Function

You'd use it like this:

=echocomment(a1)

The value in A1 would appear in the cell and the comment would get copied, too.

The application.volatile is there to update the comments if you change them.
(Changing the comment won't make the function run, but it'll catch up with then
next recalculation.)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

GP9 PR go to links broken
On GP 9, service pack 3, there are several users recently setup who do not have access to a couple options under the Go to button in the Employee Maintenance window. When you click on Go to > Payroll, Benefits and Deductions are grayed out, although eight other links are accessible. The odd thing is that they have access to all of these windows, including Benefits and Deductions, and can access them through the menu via Cards > Reports > Benefits or Deductions. They do have HR installed, but there are no customizations to any of these windows. Also, it's not workstation ...

Updating links that use SUMIF #2
Thanks Peo. Works perfectly -- BHawle ----------------------------------------------------------------------- BHawley's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1546 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27054 ...

Linking An Image From My Hard Drive To My Signature Box?
How do I link an image from my hard drive to my Windows Live Mail signature box? In your explanation, please don't be vague. Offer step by step instructions & be sure not to forget special settings too. Thank you for taking the time out in your busy schedule to answer this post. Have a great day. "Lex Luthor" <LexLuthor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CE0E434A-B29A-40FD-B016-1D8986133267@microsoft.com... How do I link an image from my hard drive to my Windows Live Mail signature box? In your explanation, please don't be vague. Offer ste...

Links in Internet Explorer to Public Folders on Exchange worked with Outlook 2003 but not 2007
Hello, i have a link like outlook:\\Public%20Folders\All%20Public%20Folders\.... If I have a Pc with Outlook 2003 it can be opened but with Outlook 2007 my Internet Explorer tells me "The webpage cannot be displayed" does anybody know a solution for this problem Regards Peter ...

Checking the subform and changing the link on the fly
Hello All is there a way to change the linkmasterfields and linkchildfields on the fly based on the possible values in the subform? i have a subform that needs to be linked based on either 1 or 2 fields depending on whether or not the data in the underlying table has a value in a field. my current code looks like this: Private Sub sfrmtblStaticPartPrices_Enter() Dim subfrmRepisEmpty As Integer subfrmRepisEmpty = Nz(DLookup("ServiceRepID", "tblStaticValues", "IMWPN = " & "'" & VisualID & "'&qu...

Outlook 2003: Need links that automatically updated if liked file is moved?
hi. I like to use links to internal files (emails etc) and external files (Office documents, faxes and scanned documents in .tiff format etc) in Outlook 2003. For example I may have a task to write someone a letter and when I do it I may write an email and put a link (shortcut) in the task. However, if I move the email from my sent items to a different Outlook folder the email link in the task is now incorrect and doesn't work. Or if I send a fax under MS Fax I'll put a shortcut of the fax in the task. Again if I move the fax file the task link is broken. This is just one e...

linking tables from different Access templates?
Hello I have been playing with Access 2007 and am at the stage of almost being ready to ditch the "toy" database and prepare the real thing. I have been working on a database set up for us which has worked well but is showing its limitations (and highlighting mine!) I like the look of the Access 2007 Contacts and Events templates which, with some tweaking, could work well for us. My question is - is it possible to link the Contacts table with the Events table created in the templates? At the moment, I have an Events table (which includes various information abo...

Paste excel as link in PPT2007
A coworker asked for some help on this one-- once excel data copied into POwerPoint the data within the powerpoint cannot be edited. I tried my old friend Paste special>as link and found that I can not edit the excel data either. Has 2007 lost this capability? or am I just missing something here? Thanks for your pointers "JR Hester" <JRHester@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CF95BA50-CD00-4DAC-9422-5FFF5A94C568@microsoft.com... >A coworker asked for some help on this one-- once excel data copied into > POwerPoint the data within the power...

Linking Embedded Worksheets
Is it possible to link Embedded Excel Worksheets within Word or Powerpoint? I want to create a summary page in Powerpoint that uses an Embedded Excel Worksheet. It will summarise multiple embedded worksheets further along the powerpoint presentation. Cheers Aus --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

How do you link shared spreadsheets and reference certain cells
I replied to an eartlier post and didn't want it to get buried so reposting. Sorry if breaking etiquette. How do you do a sum? I am getting errors with this: =SUM('\\share\ACCT[04Timecards.xls]Linda'!C2:C10) I have tried moving the quotes, changing to dbl quotes, removing them altogether with no luck. The file is on a shared drive, not mapped. Maybe it has to be a mapped drive? It is on a local PC that another PC has to reference to. Thanks! >-----Original Message----- >Hi >are you looking for linking individual cells. If yes use something like >the following fo...

Sub Report Link with Stored Procedures
Hello, I am having a problem with a report and subreport. The main report is a stored procedure and there are 3 parameters (@EndDate datetime,@ChartID int,@GroupID int). I provide the values in the "Input Parameter" of the Main report. For the Sub Report, I have the same three parameters and I place the values also in the "Input Parameter" of the sub report. The field that I link the sub report to the main report on is "AcctLogID". The problem is this link. If I change the control source of the sub report to just a regular query, the report runs fine ...

Links, and New Computer HELP!!!!
I am in the process of installing a new server to replace our very old one. The CEO of the company has requested the server name be changed to something more representive of what it is (Currently it is MAX, he wants it to be HSERVER). The problem we have is with Excel files, And Access databases. Many (over 1000) of the Excel files have linked tables to other excel files, and the Access database(s) all have linked tables to forms in these excel files. I didn't set the excel and access system up, so I don't have detailed information on it. I moved the files to the new server ...

Link to specific cells on Excel Spreadsheet to generate reports
Is it possible to link to a specific cell in an excel spreadsheet in a report? Like bind text boxes to specific cells on an Excel spreadsheet? ...

linked graphics moved file and graphics
I moved my large pub file along with the graphics to a new location on my computer. How do you tell publisher to look in another place for all of the graphics. When I open it now, I have to go and look for each graphic and create the link again. Using 2003, however maybe using 2007, so if there is a fix for either would like to know it. Tools, Options, General tab... -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "ap1971" <ap1971@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3D5B5AE8-5794-4228-9A78-E5DD3D1293EA@microsoft.com... >I moved my large pub file along with ...

Update links to closed spreadsheet
I have an excel spreadsheet with formulas linked to data in anothe spreadsheet. The spreadsheet with the source data is not opened. Whe I press the Update Link button, the cells with the formulas linked t the closed spreadsheet returns a #VALUE# indicator. I have to open th source spreadsheet so that the Update Link will return the correct data Why doesn't Excel extract the data from the source spreadsheet when i is closed -- carlossalt ----------------------------------------------------------------------- carlossaltz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo...

Porting from VC6, Class Wizard Comments
Am I correct in assuming that all the Class Wizard comment insertions, //{{AFX_ , are ignored by VS2008, and can be safely removed prior to porting a project from VC6 to VS2008? I have been doing that in VS2005. I take code worked in VS6 and remove the #ifdef blocks, replace them with #pragma once, and then cut out all the classwizard specific comments. I haven't had any problems doing it and I like the cleaner look. Andy "AVee" <AVee@community.nospam> wrote in message news:uADGqehLJHA.5660@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Am I correct in assuming that all the Clas...

2007
I was aware of linking problems in 2003, but it seems as though they have carried forward to 2007 (very disappointing). It is still not linking named ranges properly (using row/column instead of name) - it seems to work sometimes but not all times. I've noticed that it seems to work better on smaller amounts of data and also if the sheet is named without spaces or characters. Are there any solutions to this problem on the way? ...

linking multikple columns to one column in a differ table
I have a form where 9 different names (there are over 150 names) are entered into 1 record. Each name would have a date and a memo box associtated with it. Each name is associated with a different team (there are over 20 teams). I would like to have a query where you would be able to pick a team and have only the information contain to that team appear. The end result I am looking for is a report that looks like this: Team Name, Date, memo Name, Date, memo so and so on I am a newbie so I need detailed instructions. Thanks in advance You might need to show us how some of the da...

Create a pdf with web links from file created in excel
How do I preserve web links I created in an excel spreadsheet when I convert to a pdf? ...

combo box linked subform values
I have created a subform and a combo box. When the user selects a value in the combo box such as unit4, they should be able to see only unit4 details in the subform. This is my trouble. Does anybody know how to get a combo value to determine the subform data? I have created numerous queries and functions but can't get this to work. Please help. Thanks, Mitchell -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Without knowing all your specifics, the general solution is similar to the following: (the subform has a sql string to load records) Private Sub cboUnits_AfterUpdate() Dim st...

Add Check Links for Fixed Assets
In GP v9 we have experienced issues in the FA tables that cannot be resolved without direct intervention in the database. For example we have discovered numerous rows in the the Asset Purchase Master table (FA01400) with invalid ASSETINDEX ids. There is no corresponding asset in the Asset Account Master table (FA00400) or in the Asset General Information Master (FA00100) with a matching ASSETINDEX id. In other modules, including the GP core, there are Check Link processes avaialbe to discover and correct these type of data issues. There should be something in Check Links for the FA...

is it possible to link a cell in excel to a mail in outlook?
trying to create a hyperlink in an excel worksheet that will bring up an email in outlook, any ideas? Insert-->Hyperlink. On the left, choose Email address. If that doesn't open Outlook, they hyperlink isn't the problem. Try going to Internet Explorer and hit Tools-->Internet options, Programs tab, and make sure Outlook is the email program. ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "bembel" <bembel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BED17D76-852C-4EB0-BCA8-C217576F2DFA@microsoft.com... > trying to create a hyperlink in an excel workshee...

Web Page on Server Not Opening Wen I Click Nav Link
On the "http://sl-life.awardspace.biz/"website's "VisiTec Section all pages that link to"http://sl-life.awardspace.biz/igproducts.htm" & "http://sl-life.awardspace.biz/igproductspage2.htm", will not open and i get the default 404 page not found error. I have tried to republish the pages in FrontPage 2003 both as a group and separately by right clicking publish selected files and nothing. If you would like to test for yourself got to "http://sl-life.awardspace.biz/" under businesses click "VISITEC" and then on the left...

Cut from workbook1, paste to workbook2, get automatic link in workbook1
Greetings all! I am running Excel 2000 on a Windows XP Pro machine. I have two workbooks. Each row in either workbook is a description of a document with a date by which a review of that document is due (among other things) and, in workbook1, a date by which the final review of the document is due. This date is in the last cell of the row, and is calculated using a formula. If the document is *not* reviewed by the final review date, the row with the document's entry is cut from workbook1 and pasted into workbook2. The only difference between the two workbooks is that the last cell...

Maintaing position of graphics withing a text area when text boxes are linked.
Using Publisher 2003. Making a catalog. A text box will cover a category. Within this category are several different product. Say 4 product. The decription of these four product can run into several pages. So I link these text boxes to make my life easier. One or more paragraphs are devoted to each product. Each product description includes an inserted graphic of the product beside the first paragraph of each product description. Later when I add or change text, the text flows from one text box to another. nice! however the graphics do not follow. So I end up moving each graphic ind...