Linked Workbooks Question

Hi All,

I have a workbook that links to two other workbooks.
Two carry data, one does the calcs...
All three workbooks are in the same directory.

When I open the 'calcs' workbook, I allow macros then update links.

References to cells in the data workbooks show as #value errors.

If I have all three open, the 'calcs' sheet works fine.

What gives ???

Thanks to the group.

0
me994 (146)
3/7/2005 9:18:49 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Question about what "Home" means in the Home and Student Edition

Macros disappear from personal macro workbook?
Whenever I record a new macro to my personal macro workbook it works OK and I can see that a new module has been created ok when in the VBA editor, but when I exit excel and re-open the macro doesn't work and the module has disappeared? Can anyone advise why this is happening and how to prevent it ? Many thanks....J While you're in the VBE and the Personal project is active click the little Save button on the Standard toolbar. -- Jim "Me!" <spam@dummyaddress.spam.com> wrote in message news:%23UwrpxrnIHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... | Whenever I record a new ma...

find data in multiple open workbooks
Im looking to find data in multiple workbooks that are all opened at once. Is there a way of doing this? ...

Out of Office Question
We're new to O at our office. On occasion, I get OOO replies when I email people. I ask how they set it up and everyone tells me Tools, then Out of Office. My choices under Tools do not include OOO but they do include Rules Wizard. I feel sure somewhere in there is a way to set up OOO replies but I haven't hit upon the exact procedure. Help is no help at all. I have the disc, I run W2000 Professional. Can someone give me the drill to set up an OOO reply so I can turn it on before I go on vacation next week? Thanks in advance to all who help or try. Steve Ignots Steve, You need to be u...

PDF question
Our (non-profit) organization puts out a newsletter (created in Publisher), and we'd like to convert it to PDF to send it to some people that way. I know how to do this (I have Primo PDF), but when I just did it, the fonts in (small) sections on two of the pages were garbled. In one instance it was an unusual font, so I thought that might be the problem. But in the other instance it's not an unusual font. Is there any way I can change/correct the garbled font? I have Adobe Acrobat reader 5.0. Seems like I might have tried to upgrade a while back and it didn't "ta...

Linking text within Excel-- help!
I have a mailing list that I will be importing into Excel, and am trying to link the names on the list to invoices for those people on the list. Can I do this in Excel by using links? The Excel help feature only seems to describe links with figures (numbers), not text. e.g. Mr. Bill Jones, 123 Main Street, Middletown, OK 40404 (each word in its own cell in the mailing list worksheet) ....would link to a worksheet that had Bill Jones' name and address but also indicted that he purchased a $100 product on June 15 and his bill has been paid in full. My questions: 1. Each of the 300 or...

rules question
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C58E9B.93495960 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I'd like to make a rule similar to the one I have - move all emails from a certain SENDER to a specified FOLDER. I want to also make a rule to move to a specified folder, when an email is sent to a specific USER. I don't see how to do this in the canned rules? Has anyone got creative with this and made it work? I can get it to do a COPY, but not a move. Thanks!!! ------=_NextPart_000_0008_0...

Calender related question
Is there a way to tell what time and date an appointment was created. We have Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2003 and Windows 2003 Server. Thank you In outlook, you can add the "Created" column and that will show the create time for that item. "Vic Abrahamian" <VicAbrahamian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4EC32A4D-4C7B-46A0-862B-A5F165AECCDE@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to tell what time and date an appointment was created. > We have Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2003 and Windows 2003 Server. > Thank you ...

Links won't open internet sites
Links sent to me in email show up as blue and the curser turns into the hand when over it but clicking on the link does nothing, it won't open a site on the internet. What do I have to adjust? Have turned off firewall and problem continues. Help! Thanks... Using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Home - Internet Secuity installed but all turned off (other than antivirus) ...

Update stored procedure question
We are using VS 2008 and SQL Server 2005. I have a table Spread that has 1 Integer column called SecurityID. I have a stored procedure spUpdateSpread that increment the SecurityID by 1, and returns that value. If more than 1 process call the stored procedure at the same time, will it return the correct SecurityID ? Thank you CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Spread]( SecurityID [int] NOT NULL, PRIMARY KEY NONCLUSTERED ( [SecurityID] ASC ) ) ON [PRIMARY] CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[spUpdateSpread] @SecurityID int output as update Spread set SecurityID = SecurityID + 1 select @Secu...

Save Link Problem
Hi I run Windows 2000 & Excell 2000 with service pack 3. I have an autoshape button that I have added a hyperlink to which opens a html file on a server. When I add the hyperlink and press the autoshape it takes me to the file ok. I can do this as many times as I like and it works ok. The problem arises after I save the spreadsheet. As soon as I save the spreadsheet the hyperlink no longer works. I get the error message "The address of this site is not valid, Check the address and try again". To add some more mystery to this, I emailed the file to a friend and he inserte...

SQL select statement question
My dataset has 3 columns: customer id, store location, charges I'd like to write a single select statment that will show each customer id once, with the store location where they have the most charges, and the sum of the charges for that store location. This gives the max charges for each customer, but doesn't give the location: select a.custID, max(new.amt) from smallchg a inner join; (select custID, location, sum(charges) as amt from smallchg group by custID, location) as new ; on a.custID= new.CustID group by a.CustID thanks. joel Try this -- SELECT TOP 1 ...

Shared Contacts Master Categories question
I need to have 50 users on Outlook/Exchange specify a number of contacts that need to be exported to another system. I had my Exchange admin give me shared access to each of the mailboxes in question. My plan was to go through each set of contacts, and add a new category to the master categories for each user. When I got the the second contact, the keyword identifier was already there! It looks like Outlook/Exchange is allowing me access to the correct contacts, but is using my master category list. How can I access and update each users category master list? Isn't this kept ...

Newbie question, can't get a handle on the handles <g> ... ?
How do we manipulate text that needs to flow to another box, i.e., when working in two columns and we need text to flow to a third, how do we do this? I'm sorry for such a simple question, but I've looked through the help and on the web and I think it's because I don't know what it's called. Anyhoo, pls advise! Tx. Whilst attempting to develop brick-based storage technology, Ed reads a message from Dylan56 <No@SpamAtAll.com> > How do we manipulate text that needs to flow to another box, i.e., > when working in two columns and we need text to flow to a third,...

Macro to open print window and set to print entire workbook
I need help getitng a macro created to open the print window, then se it to 'print the entire workbook'. Then the macro would stop. At whic the user would then specify additional specs for printing. I.E. # o pages, paper size etc. I am trying to default the 'print entire work book option' withou restricting the user from other print specs. I have a macro that will print once a button is clicked on th spreadsheet but it goes directly to print and does not let the user se other specs. I.E. # of pages, etc. Thanks in advanc -- retseor ---------------------------------------...

entryfield linked to selectionlist
Hallo, I created a form with a selectionlist of all belgian cities. Next to this field I created an entryfield where the zip-codes should appear What I want is this entryfield to show the zipcode when the up and downarrow of the selectionfield is clicked In the "after update" propertie of the selectionlist I wrote: Dim db As Database Dim tb As Recordset Dim f As Form Set db = CurrentDb() Set tb = db.OpenRecordset("postnummers") Set f = Forms![leerkrachten] tb.MoveFirst Do Until tb.EOF If tb!gte = f!gem_lk Then f!PN_lk = tb!PN Exit Do End If tb.MoveNext Loop tb!gte citi...

Merging Workbooks
HELP !!I have two large but seperate workbooks (2000 rows each) that both have two common columns that contains the same misc numbers and text (such as premise number and street name). Other columns contain differenct data, such as name, or community in one workbook and date of hire and salary in the other workbook. I want to blend the two workbooks into one workbook combining the common data and then adding the remaining columns so that I end up with a single row that I could sort by premise number and or street name, but can't find a solution within "help" I'd cr...

How to reference workbook name in hyperlink formula?
In order to simplify the maintenance of workbook formulas I need to reference workbook name in hyperlink formula =[myWorkbok.xls]mySheet!$E4 in this way =[A1]mySheet!$E4 given the file name stored in cell A1 Cell A1 : myWorkbook How do I write the formula to make it work? Will it work even if the referenced workbook is closed? Regards Frank Krogh The function you'd want to use is =indirect(). But =indirect() won't work if the sending file is closed. Laurent Longre has an addin (morefunc.xll) at: http://xcell05.free.fr/ or http://xcell05.free.fr/morefunc/english/index.htm ...

Advanced Filters question
I sometimes use Msft Access to run a query, and then revise the query, or build off of the new query by creating a separate query of that query. However, in using excel, at least at first pass, I noticed that I was unable to pivot the data that resulted from an advanced filter, and I was unable to see the total amount for a given column, once an advanced filter was applied to a list (i.e., the sum that I saw was for the entire field and not for the records that were visible once I had applied the filter). Does anyone have any perspective they could share with me regarding this? Is there a wa...

Mail (outlook 2002), 'To' field, general question
Why do some names of some messages in the 'To' Field appear with single quotes in my Sent Box? I'm using Outlook 2002. I'm sure there's an easy explanation but it stumps me. ...

Accessing all questions I have asked in the Office forums
Is there a way I can call up all questions and answers I have ever asked via my login to Microsoft Discussion groups? I sure appreciate your help, John In news:FB996750-8ACF-4806-BDF8-7E66057A0DBB@microsoft.com, John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > Is there a way I can call up all questions and answers I > have ever asked via my login to Microsoft Discussion groups? > > I sure appreciate your help, John Use Google; look up your own name; finesse from there if you get too many hits. HTH, Twayne` ...

Basic Money 2004 Budgeting Question
In MS Money 99 I was able to chart out several months worth of spending by budget category (auto, gasoline, groceries, etc.) By looking at this chart, I was able to compare by month my actual spending versus my budgeted amount for each category. In addition, the cumulative totals at the far right showed how much in the black or red I was in each category over the period of time that I specified (e.g., Sept 02 - July 03). I have been unable to find a chart that performs this function in MS Money 2004, which seems odd given that being able to track such information over a period of ...

Links to closed files not opening.
I have a customer with a set of rather convoluted mish-mash of spreadsheets, basically running an entire company. One spreadsheet (SSa) has a number of links to 4 others (SSb,c,d). Everything works as expected if SSb,c,d are open, & then SSa is opened, but if SSa is opened before SSb,c & d, cells in SSa display #VALUE!. I have tried the same set of files on several machines, running Excel 2000,XP & 2003, all act in the same manner. I have tried to recreate the problem with a set of files linked in a similar way, but in any case, the links were able to access data in closed fi...

linked pages not working properly in mspub2000 for windows
Hi, On a pc, I created a 31 page document possibly done in Pub.98 that functioned perfectly. Now, while trying to edit/revise that document on a new computer in Pub 2000, finding that when I add new/additional text, instead of the text linking to the next page, it links to a page at the end of the document. For example, I am typing on page 20 and instead of the text continuing onto page 21, it jumps to the end of the document (page 31) I have tried to create links between pg 21 & 22, but can't create a link- I get a message that there is 'text'. It will only link to a bla...

Distribute an excel workbook shortcut
Oh Wise Ones, Please forgive me if this is not the proper forum for this question but I'm not sure where to post it, and I feel some of you may have encountered this before. I have an excel spreadsheet that I would like to place a shortcut to on peoples desktops with the file to open readonly. Has anyone done this before? I guess it would require some type of batch file. I would send it as a link in Outlook and the recipients would double-click on the attachment, then the shortcut would be installed to their desktop to be opened readonly when start...