Linest Poly Array using data horizontally

All of our metrics store data horizontally, meaning Months (x) are
stored by column and data series (y) are stored in rows below the
months...

Mo: 1 -- 2 -- 3--4 -- 5
Data 31 -- 33 -- 36 -- 38 -- 39

When I apply any Order Poly Linest() array on the data set, I get
errors.  Tranpose the data vertically and the Linest() array works.

Any advice?

0
GregJFair (2)
11/11/2007 6:19:40 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I expect you had something like =LINEST(B3:K3,B2:K2^{1,2}) but the comma
between 1 and 2 is appropriate for vertical (columnar) data. For horizontal
data (data in rows) you need a semicolon (I hope you are using an English
version of XL!!) as in
=LINEST(B3:K3,B2:K2^{1;2})

This is taken for XL's Help:
............. quote
The format of array constants
Array constants are enclosed in braces ( { } ).

Separate values in different columns with commas (,). For example, to
represent the values 10, 20, 30, and 40, enter {10,20,30,40}. This array
constant is known as a 1-by-4 array and is equivalent to a 1-row-by-4-column
reference.

Separate values in different rows with semicolons (;). For example, to
represent the values 10, 20, 30, and 40 in one row and 50, 60, 70, and 80 in
the row immediately below, you would enter a 2-by-4 array constant:
{10,20,30,40;50,60,70,80}.

............end quote

best wishes

--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"GregJ" <GregJFair@gmail.com> wrote in message
> All of our metrics store data horizontally, meaning Months (x) are
> stored by column and data series (y) are stored in rows below the
> months...
>
> Mo: 1 -- 2 -- 3--4 -- 5
> Data 31 -- 33 -- 36 -- 38 -- 39
>
> When I apply any Order Poly Linest() array on the data set, I get
> errors.  Tranpose the data vertically and the Linest() array works.
>
> Any advice?

0
bliengme5824 (3040)

Using mouse wheel in VB editor

Use exchange from a trusted domain

Customer check data

Macro to seperate data

Need HELP! for Linking data

How Use ShellExecute with a CMemFile

Macro

macros entering data

Using INDIRECT within functions

How to use count for calls per hour

find data and autopaste when found

Disappearing data in sync'd forms

Calculating Subsets of Data
I have data for records that can span between 1 to 16 months.. I want to be able to calculate the average activity for the most recent six months in a query and be able to display that in a report. I can create the calculation in the query for the entire duration of months for each record but am stuck on how to have it choose only the most recent six months of data to do the calculation and understand that the six months may really only be between 1 to 6 months of data.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..My skill level is somewhere between meatball surgeon and ki...