Limiting The Amount of Text

Hi,
Is there a way I can limit the amount of Text I can enter into th
cells of a selected column?

For example, when listing on eBay, the description bar on eBay i
limited to 40 characters.  Since I list items on eBay with Excel, i
would save me a lot of time if I were able to lock the cells in m
"Description" column to 40 characters instead of going back an
counting all the characters in those cells.

Is this doable

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

There may be a non-code way to limit the # of characters, but i don't know
it.  Maybe someone else will contribute.

An easy, alternate solution that may work for you is to let Excel do some of
the counting for you via Conditional Formatting:
-Select the Column
-Format>ConditionalFormatting
-FormulaIs "= Len(C1)>40". (Replace C1 with the first cell in your column
and don't type the quotes)
-Select your formatting (Red text, Red fill, whatever).

That way any cell that has more than 40 characters will call attention to
itself.  Edit the cell.  Once your edits reduce the character count below 41
the cell will appear normal.

Hope this helps,
--
George Nicholson

Remove 'Junk' from return address.

"hk1997" <hk1997.xf9xa@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
> Is there a way I can limit the amount of Text I can enter into the
> cells of a selected column?
>
> For example, when listing on eBay, the description bar on eBay is
> limited to 40 characters.  Since I list items on eBay with Excel, it
> would save me a lot of time if I were able to lock the cells in my
> "Description" column to 40 characters instead of going back and
> counting all the characters in those cells.
>
> Is this doable?

JunkGeorgeN (154)
11/25/2003 12:24:09 AM
Replying to myself:

Sorry, I was having an idiot moment in my first response.  You can use
Data/Validation to physically limit the number of characters allowed to be
input in a given cell.

Personally, I'd find ConditionalFormatting less annoying to work with in
this case, but maybe that's me.

--

"George Nicholson" <JunkGeorgeN@msn.com> wrote in message
> There may be a non-code way to limit the # of characters, but i don't know
> it.  Maybe someone else will contribute.
>
> An easy, alternate solution that may work for you is to let Excel do some
of
> the counting for you via Conditional Formatting:
> -Select the Column
> -Format>ConditionalFormatting
> -FormulaIs "= Len(C1)>40". (Replace C1 with the first cell in your column
> and don't type the quotes)
> -Select your formatting (Red text, Red fill, whatever).
>
> That way any cell that has more than 40 characters will call attention to
> itself.  Edit the cell.  Once your edits reduce the character count below
41
> the cell will appear normal.
>
> Hope this helps,
> --
> George Nicholson
>
> Remove 'Junk' from return address.
>

> "hk1997" <hk1997.xf9xa@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Hi,
> > Is there a way I can limit the amount of Text I can enter into the
> > cells of a selected column?
> >
> > For example, when listing on eBay, the description bar on eBay is
> > limited to 40 characters.  Since I list items on eBay with Excel, it
> > would save me a lot of time if I were able to lock the cells in my
> > "Description" column to 40 characters instead of going back and
> > counting all the characters in those cells.
> >
> > Is this doable?

> > ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/
> > ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/

0
JunkGeorgeN (154)

Convert a column of data from Text to date format
I have a column of dates, that excel isn't recognizing as dates, but instead as text. When I double click in the cell and press enter, excel converts to a date. Is there a technique I can use to convert all of the cells in the entire column to date format in one step. Thanks for any suggestions. FYI, I am using excel 2003. On Sep 16, 2:36=A0pm, Dave K <fred.sher...@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a column of dates, that excel isn't recognizing as dates, but > instead as text. When I double click in the cell and press enter, > excel converts to a date. > > Is there a...

easy way to delete all rows with no text in them?
I just took on a client who sends me a multipage spreadsheet weekly with movie times for his 10 theatres. My guess is he just deletes the information from the previous weeks row and adds a new row. His sheet really only needs about 16 columns and maybe 20 rows. The sheets he sends have upwards of 1500 rows and columns. Many of the rows are in between the actual text rows as well. I convert this to a webpage and post to his site. Problem is the sheets are so large they take forever to clean up (in GoLive) and much too long to do by hand. Is there an easy way to delete all rows with no text in...

Is there a word templete just text part for a business card
I want to set up the typeset for the wording of my business card. Word has many templates but do they have one for just that? I saw all the different templates. But I merely want to stage the layout of the wording is all. Does such a thing exist like the resume or letter set ups? As far as Word is concerned, business cards are simply labels. Choose the appropriate label blank from the labels dialog and create a new document. Edit the first label to taste then use the macro at the end of http://www.gmayor.com/graphics_on_labels.htm to duplicate the card to the other cells. ...

After Add Record, Put Cursor in specific Text Box
Hi, I had the wizard set up a button to add record (it puts in the code below in the On Click property of the button). I'd then like to have the focus go to text box [ProjectType]. I don't know how to do that. TIA :) Private Sub cmdAddRecord_Click() On Error GoTo Err_cmdAddRecord_Click DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec Exit_cmdAddRecord_Click: Exit Sub Err_cmdAddRecord_Click: MsgBox Err.Description Resume Exit_cmdAddRecord_Click End Sub Private Sub cmdAddRecord_Click() On Error GoTo Err_cmdAddRecord_Click If Me.Dirty Then Me.Dirty = False If ...

Removed content in right columns and limited size of spreadsheet
I was trying to get rid of the contents in the columns to the right of my spreadsheet and instead I accidently deleted everything to the right (area is now grey). Now I can't insert new columns because I have limited the size of the spreadsheet. How can I recover columns to the right? I can't just click undo because I have saved and gone out of the spreadsheet. The data in deleted columns is lost I do not understand how you think you have limited the size of the worksheet That is not possible tell us more best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/...

Pasting block of text
The existing text in the Word document looks like this: The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog and feels as if he were in the seventh heaven of typography together with Hermann Zapf, the most famous artist of the... The block of text to be inserted is: So, fellow citizens, now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country to demand transparency, sovereignty and independence. How do I paste the block of text so the result looks like this? The quick brown fox jumps over So, fellow citizens, now is the the lazy dog and feels as if ...

Capital/Small Letters in Text
Hallo I have a problem with text format. A lookup-table contains textstrings 003A and 003a. Access2003 does not differentiate between these. But actually they code different things. What shoul I do? Thank you for help You can use the Chr function to differentiate between the two. Chr function uses the ASCII value of a character to return the actual character. This query will find the one with capital A: SELECT * FROM TableName WHERE FieldName = '003A' And Right(FieldName, 1) = Chr(65); This one will find the one with small a: SELECT * FROM TableName WHERE FieldName = '003A...

Adding Amounts
I am looking for a fomula or the method to add the total from a particular cell in 5 sheets and enter it in a paticular cell on a 6th sheet. I obtained a total on each sheet by =sum(A1:G1)and entered it in H1 Now I want to add H1 on the 5 separate sheets to give a total in a cell on the 6th sheet. Thanks for any help This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0028_01C60D7E.C4442B00 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0029_01C60D7E.C4442B00" ------=_NextPart_001_0029_01C60D7E.C4442B00 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="...

True Justify Text in multivalued ComboBox
Hi, Is there a way to true justify the text in multivalued ComboBoxespecially on the report (Access 2007)? Thanks in advance, Kozaw ...

streaming radio time limits?
I've just begun listening to live radio on two of my computers running WinXP and IE7. The streaming stops (without my wanting it to) at exactly 1:00 a.m. each night and has to be restarted if I want to continue listening. Tonight I was listening to radio station WFMT on one computer and BBC Radio 3 on the other. Both stopped at the same time. (Normally, I listen to only one station and on only one computer, but I wanted to see if it was a problem with that station. Apparently not.) Any idea what causes this? I've tried Google but without success. Thank you! Jo-Anne...

Problem when pasting text from Word into Mail
When I copy and paste text from Word 2004 into Apple Mail, Mail doubles the line returns. In other words, if in Word there is a single return (my intent is to start a new line immediately below the previous one) in mail the pasted text will show a double return (ie double spacing). This had previously happened to me when I was running Panther; after I queried on this board someone suggested that I use shift-option- command-v to paste, and this solved the problem. A few weeks ago I bought a new Mac Mini running Snow Leapard. Now the problem has returned, and using shift-option-com...

Cannot save text wrapping in cells-must do individually
I have the 2007 Edition of Excel. I want to all the cells to allow text wrapping. I can select by row or column and format the cells, but it won't save. I've also tried to select the entire page from the top left corner, but nothing will work. I must continue to format and wrap text by each cell. Help! Have you set rows to Autofit after selecting the whole sheet? These are worksheet settings only and have to be re-done on all sheets. New workbooks and New worksheets won't have these settings unless you create Templates for New workbook and worksheet which override Ex...

Partial Text Match then enter desired result into appropriate colu
I have a list of company names in Column A. On a separate tab I have a list of keywords. What I'd like to do is to have a search done on the names in column A and if any of the keywords on the separate tab match for it to then put in the company type into column B. Example of a company name in column A: Get Things Done Construction Company Keyword on separate tab: "construction: Need the formula to return "construction" to Column B. Thanks in Advance for any insight on this one! Look in the help index for VLOOKUP -- Don Guillett Microsoft MV...

Text in cell not showing in full
I had to type in a very long description with paragraphs (by pressing alt return) in one cell in excel. I formatted the cell to "wrap text" and to align to the top of the cell. I have now lost the last part of the text and this will only appear if I extend the column width. what am I doing wrong and how can I rectify it? Hi how many characters do you have in this cell. If you have more than 1000 this could happen -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany text in cell in exces wrote: > I had to type in a very long description with paragraphs (by pressing > alt return) i...

How to limit text height entered into a Legacy Form Text Form Field
Hi folks Hopefully someone can help me here as Ive spent hours looking on the web for an answer :( I have created a form which is protected, so people can only see the form and then enter text into Text Form Fields. When I type into this field, the text wraps around before it reaches the end (width) of the box but not the height! How do I limit the text so that the number of lines typed in is only as much as is visible within the box? (height)? thanks d -- corelli In the unprotected form template, right-click the Text Form Field and set the maximum number of character...

how do i change the amount of recent documents on my file menu?
Please could anyone email me on da_snogaholic@hotmail.com with the answer! Hi see your other post "Kay c" wrote: > Please could anyone email me on da_snogaholic@hotmail.com with the answer! ...

text and number
i have something like this in a cell: T2 T2 E1 T2 N3 can I add just the numbers and put the answer(10) in an adjacent cell and disregard the text? It might not be practical but how about using the text to columns facility. Select the cell - data - text to columns - fixed width - next - place breaklines between text and numbers - next - finish (no need to format - general is OK) Now the data has been entered in consecutive cells which you may add. As I said it may not be practical - not knowing what other data is in your w/s. -- Russell Dawson Excel Student Please hi...

How to display the text properly?
I am using Traditional Chinese XP with SP3, when I open an old batch file, which contains some text command, recently, my PC is broken down, and require to re-install it. After that, when I open the batch file using Notepad, all command becomes strange char. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to change the setting to display the text command from batch file properly? Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric Eric wrote: > I am using Traditional Chinese XP with SP3, when I open an old batch > file, which contains some text command, recently, my PC is broken down, >...

Excel 2000
I have several thousand records where there is a column for middle initials. Every so often the middle initial does not have a period. Is there a way I can find those cells (or maybe highlight them), so I can add the periods? -- cmarshall ------------------------------------------------------------------------ cmarshall's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30575 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=502217 cmarshall Select the column, Data, Filter, Autofilter. Custom filter, does not contain (a period) Beege &qu...

limit to list
thank you ================= The text you entered isn't an item in the list Select an item from the list, or enter text that matches one of the listed items ============== How can change this message with custom On Dec 28, 2:30 pm, "a" <A...@a.com> wrote: > thank you > > ================= > > The text you entered isn't an item in the list > > Select an item from the list, or enter text that matches one of the listed > items > > ============== > > How can change this message with custom Use the control's NotInList to event...

Getting space between text and right border. " " not working.
I have a =NOW() cell formatted as: yyyy.mm.dd.ddd., hh"h"mm but even when I make it: yyyy.mm.dd.ddd., hh"h"mm" " I don't get any more space between the end of the time and the right-hand border and it's printing too close to the edge. What is the fix for this one, pls? Thank you! :oD Try turning wraptext off. It seemed to make a difference in xl2003. StargateFanFromWork wrote: > > I have a =NOW() cell formatted as: > > yyyy.mm.dd.ddd., hh"h"mm > > but even when I make it: > > yyyy.mm.dd.ddd., hh"h&q...

how do I convert text e-mail addresses in an Excel file to hyperli
new addresses that I type in are automatically converted, but ones I copied into the spreadsheet are not. Any ideas welcome. Hi Ben, Were they links where you copied them from. What version of Excel are you using. Does =LEN(A1) match the number of chars you actually see and ="*" & A1 & "*" show anything resembling spaces Does use of the the TrimALL macro fix them (make them links) : http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm#trimall --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps....

Outlook 2007 some message text not marked for spell check -- help
Part of my Outlook 2007 message text is marked with "Do not check spelling or Grammar." Where is this set and how can I unset it so the spell check will look at it and show me mistakes? Thanks! This seems to happen randomly; I'm not necessarily copying text in from Word, just typing an original or reply. ...

Text to Date
I imported a spreadsheet where they didn't format date values... so i get dates including 12/12/2006, 1/1/2006, 12/1/2006, 1/12/2006 (all mo/day/yr) and I'm trying to import them in as a date value. Here's what I did that works until I get a 1/1/2006 type of entry: Format(DateSerial(Right([f1],4),Left([f1],InStr([f1],"/")-1),Mid([f1],InStr([f1],"/")+1,InStrRev([f1],"/")-4)),"mm/dd/yyyy") so the year and month is no prob; I just need help with the middle 'day' value when they can be 1 or 2 digits....thanks You're working too ...

Macro Text into Excell
I have a .txt file that I can bring into a Excell workbook but the letter and such are chopped up...Does anyone know how I can import the Text and read it exactly as in the Text File? Thanks in advance. When you open a text file in Excel the Text Import wizard should start up. You can prevent any parsing by selecting Delimited as the file type and then uncheck all delimiters on the second page of the wizard. If you want to do this by macro you might start by recording a macro as you manually do an import. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "Krefty" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.c...