Limitations of sharing a XLS

We have a monthly job log in excel that is shared by up to 20 users.  They
are constantly in and out,making changes.   Lately it has been getting
numbers in wrong colums/rows.   I dont believe excel was made for this and
it is just being overtaxed.   Am I wrong?   we dont see any other issues,
network etc...  Is there a document
or best practices I could take to managament to convince them to give up
this old technique of logging job data?

thanks

cr

0
msnews8099 (12)
5/18/2006 3:24:54 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I've never seen excel put stuff in the wrong columns/rows.

But I have seen lots of users put stuff in the wrong columns/rows.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Alan

0
alan.geer (7)

File size limit when using Move-item cmdlet?
Greetings all, Quick question. Is there a file size limitation when using the Move-item cmdlet? Given the example below, it works great for smaller files (approx 7 MB) but not for larger files (approx 8 GB). There exists 3 files in the $SRC_DIR. MHSPHP_0326.bak (approx 7 MB) PRJ_PHINFO_LT_0628.bak (approx 8 GB) PRJ_PHINFO_LT_backup_201006301100.bak (approx 8 GB) Issuing the following commands in Powershell 1.0 PS C:\> $SRC_DIR = "D:\DB Backups\AQDEV\PRJ_PHINFO_LT" PS C:\> $DEST_DIR = "\\windcsrv\Backup\dbarchives\PRJ_PHINFO_LT" PS C:\> Get...

Book1.xls virus problem
Dear Fellows, I am having a problem when i open one of my Excel files and through AVG antivirus it is detected with name "XF/Sic" macro virus and i m unable to clean it... Kindly help me to resolve the problem. Regards, Muhammad Alam --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi There is such thing as Google Toolbar. Searching with Google for "XF/Sic", you get a lot of links - the first one will qualify: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/xf.sic.html -- (When sending e-mail, use address arvil@tarkon.ee) Arvi Laanemets "mm_ala...

I do not have Excel, can I read .xls files sent to me?
I do not have Excel, yet I am sent .xls files. Is there anyway I can read these files even though I do not have Excel? I have WorksSuite 2003. Hi you may try the free Excel viewer: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdate/CD010225881033.aspx "RevEPR" wrote: > I do not have Excel, yet I am sent .xls files. Is there anyway I can read > these files even though I do not have Excel? I have WorksSuite 2003. Try the free Excel viewer from Microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4EB83149-91DA-4110-8595-4A960D3E1C7C&displaylang=EN -...

limit to worksheets
Anyone know the limit to how many worksheets you can have in one excel document DJA, you don't mention what version of Excel you're using, but if you search the topic "Specifications" in Excel 2000 help, it'll tell you that in an Excel workbook you get three worksheets by default and the total is limited by available memory. -- DDM "DDM's Microsoft Office Tips and Tricks" Visit us at www.ddmcomputing.com "DJA" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A21D51E9-A9B5-430A-A87F-B60BE1F7A002@microsoft.com... > Anyone kno...

Share a pst file
Hi NG, I need to share a pst file between 2 outlook 98 clients and they must work together. Someone can help me? Thanks What do you mean by "they must work together"? .PST files cannot be opened by more than one workstation at a time without the help of a third party utility. If you don't need to open the .PST on both machines simultaneously, you can just put it in a shared folder and point each instance of Outlook to it. Be careful about putting .PSTs on network shares, though -- the chance of corruption is much higher. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent...

Saving xls file as a csv
I have a csv file that we upload to our host system once a month. Th csv file type is all that the host system will read. Another employe updates the csv file before I upload it. There is a column for th maturity date of the security that is entered in the spreadsheet. The format for the date field is mmddyyyy. Excel will drop th leading zero from the date field if it is in for example January o 01. In excel it will just show the 1 (1152004 instead of 01152004 The host system needs the leading zero to process the date correctly. You can change the formatting of the cells in the column to...

A person wants to share & get pay for bright new computers idea
This is a real idea that my son suggested he would do. He does have an imagination that placed in the market would yield millions of dollars. I told him that he needed to find who would market it. He was thinking about sharing his idea with Apple Computers, but I toold him that Microsoft is better and bigger to place his idea in the market. This is a serious information I am giving you the idea detail will be giving when proper contact, or contacts are made. My son is in the Army, and he turned 21 this month. He had a vast self learned computer experience; but had never done it for pay...

Column Limit
Is there any way to increase the 255 column limit? Hi Bob You have a Special version then<g> I have 256 Columns -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:%23X7pJjYbDHA.1272@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > No, its 255 per sheet, although you can have many worksheets. > > Similarly, you only get 65536 rows. > > -- > > HTH > > Bob Phillips > > "TWALL" <twall@peachtreeconsulting.com> wrote in message > news:000b01c36d87$6681a1d0...

Credit Limit does not work properly
The credit limit I set for my debtor in GP9 does not work properly. It asks for password when raising invoice even though the customer has sufficient credit balance. What do I do? Here is the draft KB I have written on the subject.... will be published soon. Information about the Credit Limit feature used in Receivables Management and National Accounts in Microsoft Dynamics GP ======================================================================================================================== Summary -------- Microsoft Dynamics GP has a Credit Limit feature which allows a Customer...

OT: can norton 360 firewall limit rdp access by mac address?
can Norton 360 firewall limit rdp access by mac address? the windows firewall does not seem to be able to do so. Your router should be able to do that. To block access using mac address is always the work of hardware based firewall not software based firewall. I would not invest on any software based firewall especially if you have enabled Windows Firewall and you have effectively configured your router's firewall. this should be more than sufficient in my opinion. hth "MSDN newsgroup" <NoOne@allMailSunken.net> wrote in message news:OyONn%23MwKH...

Advance find column limit?
Hi, I'm doing an advanced find to export some data to add to our website. I am having problems getting all the columns needed. There are about 48 columns needed but when I try to add more than 40 they just don't appear in the find. It also doesn't save the last 8 columns that I added. Is there a way to accomplish this or will I have to get the data another way? Are you using 4.0? I had the same problem recently. I got to a certain point where it would allow me to add the columns, but wouldn't save the changes. The next day when I opened CRM all of the columns I had add...

Sharing Outlook 2000 over a network
I need to access my outlook data from Outlook running on a remote computer. I need to be able to manipulate the data from the remote machine so that when I am on the host machine the changes are instant and seamless. I have seen several programs on CNET which allow you to do the very thing I seek to do. Does anyone have experience with these programs? Are there any that you would recommend or recommand against? My biggest fear is data corruption. The worst thing that could happen is for one of these programs to corrupt my data and make it useless/inaccessible. Please advise. Thank you in ad...

Help with Outlook Calendar Sharing (Exchange)
We have Outlook 2007 and Exchange Server. I am wondering if the following is possible-- Can I create a Calendar separate from my personal exchange calendar that will show up on my personal calendar and also will show on the personal calendars of other users? We do not want our individual calendars showing up on the Master Calendar or on each other's calendars. The Master Calendar would be updated with all of our annual events and as we make changes we would like this to be automatically updated on all of our individual calendars (only for users that are given specific access ...

Max recommended users on shared workbooks
Hi all, I was wondering if someone knew if there is a maximum recommended number of users for shared workbooks, as we are experiencing some funnies with our excel spreadsheets at the moment and I am trying to eliminate any and all possibilities. Thanks in advance Paul Paul *my* answer to that question would be none, as I have never found excel to share very well at all, *Microsoft's* answer in help, under Excel Specifications is 256 -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Paul Townsend" <PaulTownsend@di...

Users receiving 4 email notificattions that their mailboxes are over the IS size limit
What would cause 4 instead of 1 messages to be sent? Thanks for any info, Dan Dan, I'm guessing that you have your mailbox management process running 4 times. These instructions are for E2003. Right-click on your server name, choose properties, then select the Mailbox Management tab, click Customize and see which slots you have selected for the process to run. HTH Dan wrote: > What would cause 4 instead of 1 messages to be sent? > > Thanks for any info, > Dan > > In the schedule property page, you probably selected the block using the hour view instead of...

Can access it's shared folders, but cannot access the computer directly through network
Need help from all the techies, I have a Windows XP Pro SP2 PC which is made as a server. In the network I have another 5 pc (Windows XP Pro SP2) connected to this server as workstations. From all the workstations, I am *able to open all the shared folders of the server*, but when I tried in the *Run* with *\\server*, I'd get an error saying " *access is denied.* ". I cannot gain access to the server but can open it's shared folders. I have scanned for viruses/spywares/malwares. All cleaned up, but the problem still persists. Can anyone help me? Thank you. ...

XLS File
I have downloaded a excel file for a Caravan Site Fee Calculator. I have not got Microsoft Word to use it, but I can view it with the free Microsoft Excel Viewer. I have got Openoffice, which you are able to open XLS files, so I thought I could use that. When I open the file it comes up with "Error Loading Document File Read-Error This File Is Password Protested" I have not had this problem before opening xls files this way with Openoffice ...

Add path and .xls to cell to produce filename
HI I've got a column full of filenames (around 100 at the moment), bu without the .xls suffix. I want to add a fixed path and the .xls suffix to each. I then plan o using the resulting filename to pull required data from these files. I've read elsewhere that INDIRECT would not be appropriate because i only works on open files? Is this procedure likely to take an age to run? Should I think abou database solutions? Thanks Bertie -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com for each cell in Range("A1:A10") cell.offset(0,1).Formula = "='C:\Myfolder\["...

All Internal Passwords.xls Error 91
As with Nathan below, I ran this code on Office XP (XL) with XP Pro and received the same error. I loaded ONLY allinternalpasswords.xls and ran the Macro. Does another W/S have to be loaded? How does one apply this macro to a specific sheet? As Nathan Gutman & myself found: When trying to run it it gets to line: WinTag = .ProtectStructure Or .ProtectWindows and gives runtime error 91 Object variable or With block variable not set. Can someone help to undertand why and how to fix that? Dennis, You should open the workbook whose passwords you want to break. This should be...

Command Ligne. How to tell to XL : If the xls file exist : Open it, if it does not exist : Create it.
Hello, When I start XL in command ligne. How to tell to XL : If the xls file exist : Open it, if it does not exist : Create it. Thanks. Tintin92 ...

Shared Calendar
Hi, Our Company VP has shared his calendar with his assistant, who went on leave and had set OOF. now when somebody schedules a meeting with the VP they are getting the OOF replies. Has anybody come across this issue or know how to stop this from happening ?? Thank You. -- bashram http://forums.slipstick.com Did you try removing the assistant as a delegate? Or changing the delegate permissions so she doesn't get the meetings? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.sli...

Mailbox 2GB Limit
I am currently running Microsoft Small Business Server with Exchange and I cannot change the Maximum Mailbox size limit beyond 2 GB. I was wondering if anyone had any idea why. Considering that the default database maximum size is 16gig for the entire database,...at 2 gig per box you can only have 8 boxes maximum and when you actually hit the 16 the server stops working. I think with the latest version of Exchange, with the latest SP, the limit can be raised but it is still 16 until you change it. -- Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA] www.wandtv.com ---------------------------------------...

Storage Limit Question #3
I have roughly 3 GB of "whitespace" after the online defrag. I am still logging ESE warnings in the event log that states the store is at capacity. I am under the assumption that the store won't crash while it still has the whitespace. Is that correct or do I need to do an offline defrag ASAP to keep the server up and running? Thanks for the help ahead of time. On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:09:10 -0700, "Griff" <Griff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have roughly 3 GB of "whitespace" after the online defrag. I am still >logging ESE warnings in...

Rules Wizard Exception Limitations (OL2000)
We use the rules wizard and some users create exceptions to the main rule. However, one user has created that many exceptions (I am not sure how many) that he is receiving the following message: 'there is not enough room on the exchange server so the rules will be deactivated' - or words to that effect. Anyone heard of this or come across it? Any way round it? Is there a limitation - i.e I know you can't have more than 150 contacts in a distribution list - is Rules Wizard Exceptions similiar to this? ...

Converting xls format to csv format
Hi, I am trying to convert excel file (xls format), which contains name and respective e-mailn ids, to csv format. My goal is to convert this excel file to csv format so that I can import all the e-mail ids in outlook using this csv file. But when I try to save this excel file in csv format it says "this feature is not supported in csv format". But I get a csv file with which I can't import those e-mail ids into address book. I don't know what is the problem. I used to do this earlier. But now it is not happening. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Sri...