Likert scale calculation - using pivot tables

I have used the following table in my survey:

Frequency of use - check which on is applicable:

                  every few hours                      every few
mins                    every few secs
item1
item2
item3
..
..
..
item10

so the sample data looks like this:
id        item1             item 2 ............. item10
1         hours            hrs .................   mins
2         secs             hrs .................   mins
3         mins             hrs .................   mins

I want to add up the hours secs mins for each item..for example (from
the above sample):

           every few hours                      every few
mins                    every few secs
item1       1
1                                1
item2       3
0                               0
..
..
item10    0
3                                   0

How can I do this using pivot tables?

Since I would later on like to see the break-up based on demographics
etc.

Thanks,
Oliver

0
oliverHCI (1)
6/26/2007 11:47:34 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Windowsupdate using Intranet?
Is there a way to setup a local server to use as the wundowsupdate site for a large # of pc's, but that has a small pipe to the internet? Try downloading the Software update services onto one server, use that the install onto PC's etc, using Group Policies cheers >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to setup a local server to use as the >wundowsupdate site for a large # of pc's, but that has a >small pipe to the internet? >. > ...

age calculation
I need help with two things. I have a cell that contains an employee's date of birth. I need to be able to: 1) Have the value in another cell be the day that they turn 65. 2) Have the value in another cell (or possibly 2 cells if it can't be in one) that shows their current age in years & months (i.e. someone who has a date of birth being 1/17/04 would show up as 1 year 6 months). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. One way: A1: <DOB> A2: =DATE(YEAR(A1)+65,MONTH(A1),DAY(A1) <== 65th birthday A3: =DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"y") &a...

Excel Data Querry using criteria from Cell
Hello, I have created a data query in Excel using DATA - IMPORT EXTERNAL DATA - NEW DATABASE QUERY and then selecting Access and browsing to an query within an Access database. This query returns all data into excel, but I would like to limit the criteria based on what a user has typed into a cell in the Excel workbook. I thought this could be accomplished by clicking DATA - IMPORT EXTERNAL DATA then PARAMETERS but the PARAMETERS option is grayed out. I can select EDIT CURRENT QUERY, but this just brings me into the Microsoft query, where I don't see any options to query based on...

using button to clear contents
I have finally found out how to add a button but now I am haveing a problem on having the button clear contents in certain cells does anyone know how to do this thanks for your help I do not know any codes for this I'll bet you could learn very quickly by using the macro recorder while you select some cells and edit>clear>contents. Here is a sample for a button from the Control Toolbox Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() ActiveSheet.Range("certain cells").ClearContents End Sub "certain cells" would be your range of cells. Gord Dibben MS Exc...

how to insert data in a table

Using icon sets with relative references
I am using Excel 2007 in the Vista OS. I am trying to use conditional formatting with an icon set in a column but Excel will not allow relative references. Example: A1=10 min B1=20 max C1=30 oh D1=a formula { =IF(C1=0,B1,(B1-C1)) } The condtional formatting of D1 would be: if the value showing in D1 is >B1 the cell would show a red 'X', if the value showing in D1 is <A1 the cell would show a green 'check mark', and if the value showing in D1 is between the values in A1 and B1 it would show a yellow 'exclamation point'. I can get the D1 ...

speeding up calculation
I have an excel workbook which takes a long to time to calculate all of the formulas within it. is there any way to speed this up? thanks "frank" <mrfrank73@aol.com> wrote in message news:0c8b01c356aa$ae6fafd0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I have an excel workbook which takes a long to time to > calculate all of the formulas within it. is there any way > to speed this up? > > thanks This is a very general question. You could do worse than looking here as a starting point: http://www.decisionmodels.com/optspeedd.htm Hi Frank. Probably yes. for advice see the p...

Pivot Table Code
I have a pivot table that help me analyze a big amount of data. I examine several scenarios that depends on the selections that I make in the page fields. I have to select different combinations in the page fields to produce the scenarios that I want. I want to simplify the process for other users. I want to use a combo box that commands the page fields combinations that I desire. The combo box should have a list of scenarios = scenario 1, scenario 2, etc. The selection will change more than one page field in order to provide the needed information. How can I do this? I tho...

Using external email address for AD user
We have certain users that we would like to use an external email address for and give access to resources in the domain. The only solution I have found so far is to create an account they will use for access and then to add a contact so we can send emails and add as a member of DL's. Ideally, I would like to do this without adding 2 separate objects in AD. Is that possible? Hi there, Are you aware that you can create a user and mail-enable them (not mailbox-enable), establishing an external address on the account. It removes the need for both a contact and a user accoun...

HOW IS F3 USED WTH EXAMPLE
hi guys reply me soon 1) In A1 type a number such as 12% 2) With A1 still selected, in the Name box (box to left of Formula Bar) type the word taxrate and press Enter. You must press Enter for this to work! 3) Let's confirm that you have named the cell A1: click on cell D1, now click on cell A1. The name box should not display "taxrate". If not, repeat steps 2 4) In A2 type a number like 100 5) In B2 type =A2* and then tap the F3 key. A dialog box opens, select the entry "taxrate" and click the OK key. Another way is to double click the "taxrate" entry....

Predicting new Ys given new Xs using known relationship for X and
Hello. I know people have posted similar questions about using an existing relationship between X and Y to predict new Ys given new Xs but I think mine has a slightly different twist. I would appreciate any help that could be offered. I have 20 data points for both X and Y. Each X point represents the number of workers on a farm for a particular year over a 20-year period. Each Y point represents the amount of crop harvest each year over that same period. The data is from 1901 to 1920. When I plot the points and fit an exponential trend line I get a high R-square of .9 . I would li...

Pivot Table Grand Totals??
I have a pivot table with data linked to an access database. I went to pivot table options and checked the box under the format options area "Grand Totals for columns" so that my colums would have totals at the bottom. When it is on the Title all the way to the far right appears but none of my columns have totals at the bottom?? CAN anybody tell me why?? How can i resolve this, i'm i checking the wrong format box? ...

MS paramater Query on ODBC Table
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C38C4D.5F11AC30 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Is it possible to and if so how can I run a parameter driven MS query on = an ODBC database table? I want to be able to enter some info into a cell on a spreadsheet and = have a query run to pull back other info relating to my entry. --=20 Regards Dean=20 dkso@ntlworld.com=20 http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dkso ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C38C4D.5F11AC30 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-885...

Calculating Time/Days worked
Hope you will bare with me while I explain. Once again I am working with a sheet, or series of sheets that hel employees calculate their time for days and hours worked. I decided against the protection button, as it was more of a proble with employees unchecking it. So, I am left with one last functio before it is complete. Let me remind you wonderful people I am new to excel and this is m first real project. Ok, my last 'function' I would like is this... Paydays are calculated from the 11th of each month to the 25th, the again from the 26th of each month to 10th of the the next month...

Using Dependents
In a particular instance when I am using the dependents search facility, a small symbol like a table or an Excel sheet appears, (the dependent arrow pointing to it). It's as if it is indicating that some other sheet has data dependednt on the cell. But I can't find any other sheet with dependent data. Double-click the arrow to the sheet symbol and Excel will display the dependent cells -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Zembu" <Zembu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:352631A7-0BF4-451D-8781-669C26270BF6@microsoft....

Automatic Calculation of Table Formulas
Is there a way to set Word so that a target cell automatically re-calculates whenver any of the cells used in the formula is changes? Only if the components of the formula are provided from the results of form fields in a protected form and you have the calculate on exit check box properties of the fields checked. Otherwise you would have to force an update of the fields in the calculation. You can do that with a macro, such as that used as an example at http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm Alternatively you can insert an Excel table and have the full panoply of Excel fu...

transfer contacts using email
Is it possible to transfer contacts from one machine to another using email? If, yes, what does the receiving person need to do? Many thanks, Frank FJB <FJB0623@aol.com> wrote: > Is it possible to transfer contacts from one machine to another using > email? If, yes, what does the receiving person need to do? Create a new PST (File>Net>Outlook Data File). Now, right-click Contacts and choose Copy. SPecify the new PST as the destination. When the copy completes, right-click the new PST and choose Close. Close Outlook. Rename the PST's file extension to something...

Pivot Table Help #2
- Automaticly Refreshing Pivot Table Data I have a made a macro called "depsub" that gathers sales data from each one of our sales departments, compiles it onto one page, sorts it and SUBTOTALs the data by employee and department. I also have a PivotTable that needs to use this same data. PivotTables can not be generated from subtotaled data. So I have to nest a macro within my "depsub" macro that generates a PivotTable prior to the data being subtotaled. Problem is every time I try to do this the macro errors out and stops when I try to creat the pivot table. Here i...

Calculated Columns Help
FIND/SEARCH functions both return #DEFAULT! if string is not found. If it is not found, I'd like to display a different value (one of the other columns). All my attempts to check if the calculated column = "#DEFAULT!" fail. It is as if it is not really a string. How can I test for #DEFAULT! value? ...

Functionality lost by using exchange
Our institution recently changed from provider based internet mail (pop3) to letting external mail arrive directly to our exchange 2003 server. The following problem shows up: in the old scenario, groups had 2 mailboxes: one for the group (G) and a private mailbox for the manager (M), each with their own e-mail address. I emulated this by creating a mbx-enabled user G, that is only used for the mailbox, not for login. I gave all group members including M access to that mailbox. But what happens? 1. If a group member sends a mail, the return address is the address of the sender; it should b...

Use query for Row Source?
I attempted to use a combo-box to look-up records on a form. The RowSource query that is generated by the wizard included 2 data fields. I wanted to show only a distinct list of the second, non-key data element (col1). When I changed the RowSource query to SELECT distinct Col1, the combo-box displays nothing. I then created a stored query with the SELECT distinct Col1. They query runs correctly, but when I put in in the RowSource, it displays nothing. Any clue what I could be doing wrong? On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 12:17:03 -0700, JHC wrote: > I attempted to use a combo-box to look-u...

Can I use MS Groove with my Macbook?
I have students using Groove for their graduate team work and the Mac users are struggling to stay up in my classes. Any advide about the Mac interface with Groove 2007 issues? You will get better results by posting to the groove newsgroup directly On the web: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.groove -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. http://www.microsoft.com/protect "Grooving Professor" <Grooving Profe...

How to use Hotmail with Oulook?
I have managed to check my hotmail email with outlook. I was wondering if there was any way to make hotmail the default, so that I dont have to navigate to the hotmail folder? Can I use outlook's default inbox as the place where all my hotmail will go to? "J. Peterman" <justoNOSPAM316@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bgvbp1$d3c$1@nnrp.waia.asn.au > I have managed to check my hotmail email with outlook. > I was wondering if there was any way to make hotmail the default, so > that I dont have to navigate to the hotmail folder? Can I use > outlook's defaul...

Using two MS Money accounts on one PC.
I am using MS Money 2003 Standard Edition. Is there any way I can set up accounts for two people on the same computer with the one program without running into problems? TIA. File - Open/New create two files with different names. Mr. Mrs. >-----Original Message----- >I am using MS Money 2003 Standard Edition. Is there any way I can set up >accounts for two people on the same computer with the one program >without running into problems? TIA. >. > Besides the information already posted, use shortcuts to the two different files to start the application as starting Mone...

Large scale engineering calucations performance bottlenecks
I am running into significant performance bottlenecks running large-scale simulations on Excel 2003. Any suggestions? I am running a P4 laptop 2.4 GHz with 1GB of DRAM. My workbook file has 7,000 rows x 10 columns of data, times 12 additional worksheets of formula each with 6,500 rows x 10 columns which draw on the original data worksheet. (And, no, I haven't found a suitable matrix solution for this problem, although I'd love to.) This gives me a 150MB spreadsheet file, excluding solvers/optimization macros. It takes 15+ seconds to change one of the optimizing variables (th...