leading zeros as a cell format

Hi All,

I have an issue with formating cells. I have a permit number that has
leading zeros sometimes, so I must display them when entered. I have
tried 0?-??????? and 0#-####### but no luck. Heres is what my permit
number look
01-2345678 & 02-8765432.

thanks,

Dave
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Format as text.

"Dave" <davidstevans@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I have an issue with formating cells. I have a permit number that has
> leading zeros sometimes, so I must display them when entered. I have
> tried 0?-??????? and 0#-####### but no luck. Heres is what my permit
> number look
> 01-2345678 & 02-8765432.
>

> thanks,
>
> Dave

0
rumlas (268)
7/22/2009 4:48:14 PM
Or
00-0000000

--

Dave Peterson
0

Referencing merged cells
I'm having trouble referencing a merged cell in another workbook. Say I merge cells A1 to C1 in workbook 1. When I make this the active cell, the Name Box says "A1". When I go to another workbook (say, workbook 2), go to cell B1, type "=" and then go to the merged cell and select it, I get 'workbook1'!$A$1:$C$1 as the formula and, of course, the "#VALUE" error. I've successfully tried typing "=sum(" without the quotes hen clicking on the contents of the cell and then adding the ")" and it works O.K. but there should be an easi...

Axis label that corresponds to cell
I have an interactive graph which graphs data from a set column. This column changes depending on what is selected on a list selector. I was wondering if there is a way to label the y axis whatever was in, say cell AD11. I was hoping that that this would be something easy that I could write into the excel chart wizard, like =$AD$11, but it is not. Any help would be appreciated. -- pete3589 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ pete3589's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28402 View this thread: http://www.exce...

Finding the currently selected cell in another worksheet
Hi, In Excel 2002 I want to display the current row of worksheet A in worksheet B (in another format). Does anyone know how to do this? Ideal would be if this updates automatically, but performance wise I guess a macro activated by a button in worksheet A would be the best solution. TBH, Jeroen Jeroen, I don't know of a way in a formula to determine the active cell of the worksheet. Worksheets other than the active one don't have an active cell. I think macros are the only way. Put this in a regular module: Public Roww As Long Put this in the sheet A module: Private Sub W...

Auto fill cells with dates, exclude weekends?
What I'm doing is filling in multiple cells with dates (by dragging and filling) automatically. I was wondering if there was anyway for it to skip the weekends within the dates? Thanks in advance. Hi Sam rather than dragging with the left mouse button down, drag with the right .... when you let go you'll see an option for fill weekdays. Cheers JulieD "Sam Weber" <sam@hostradius.com> wrote in message news:af3901c4796d$85dff660$a501280a@phx.gbl... > What I'm doing is filling in multiple cells with dates > (by dragging and filling) automatically. I was wo...

Easy formula question -sum of 1 cell to end
Thanks for looking . How do you format a formula to display the sum of, let's say A1 to "however far down the spreadsheet goes" without having to name an ending cell? This sheet has no end and I need to display the total in a column that keeps growing. I hope I phrased this correctly. Hi Edward You could do it this way =SUM(A:A), that will cover the full column. HTH John "Edward" <222@333.com> wrote in message news:erIdCRRkJHA.1288@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Thanks for looking . > How do you format a formula to display the sum of, let's say ...

Word 2004 formatting
For some reason Word now opens my documents in a defined space in the center of my monitor. I can enlarge the image (ie, 150%) but the defined space doesn't change size so I lose text. Changing from Normal, to Page Layout, etc doesn't fix the problem. What's wrong and how do I fix it? Many thanks! Jim When you hit the green button in the top left, what happens? When you drag the bottom right corner, what happens? On 18/2/07 1:28 PM, in article 1171765694.927622.224610@t69g2000cwt.googlegroups.com, "jb_powell@qwest.net" <jb_powell@qwest.net> wrote: > For som...

How can I tell if the OST file is Unicode-formatted or not?
Exchange 2003 SP2 + Outlook 2003 SP3 (Cached Exchange mode) How can I tell if the OST file is Unicode-formatted or not? Here is more details: A laptop user intermittently receives emails with blank message body. I have done tons research on this issue and got no solutions. I am currently suspecting the user's large OST file which is about 2GB now. One MS KB article says that Unicode-formatted OST file supports up to 20GB, while Ansi-formtted OST file supports up to 2GB. How can I tell which format the OST file is using? Thanks a lot!! jack Jack <jack@techexpress.ca> wrote: >...

How do I ignore blank cells while averaging the solutions of equat
I'm trying to average (items produced/manhours/workers) over the course of a week. The problem is each job isnt worked every day, so I have blank cells in my equation. Here is what I'm typing: =AVERAGE((B4/C4/D4),(E4/F4/G4),(H4/I4/J4),(K4/L4/M4),(N4/O4/P4)). I know there is a way to ignore #DIV/0 results, but I'm fairly new to Excel. I'm also trying to keep this all in one row to save space. Any help will be appreciated. -Ryan take a look at the subtotal function and see if it meets your needs. -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "Kis...

Excel VBA
Hi. Is it possible to use VBA in one workbook to copy a worksheet fro another workbook into another different workbook? If so....how? Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try recoding a macro while doing this manually. And yes it is possible :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "cjh1984 >" <<cjh1984.16x63k@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:cjh1984.16x63k@excelforum-nospam.com... > Hi. > > Is it possible to use VBA in one workbook to copy a worksheet from > another workbook into another different workbook? ...

dynamic cells
Hi! I wonder if somebody could help me with the following problem: I have two columns with cells containing some values B1..B22, C1..C22 everyday I add a new cell e.g. B23 and C23, B24 and C24,... I wonder if I use these cells in a forumla like REGR how to write in order to avoid updating the formula every day? REGR(B1:B22;C1:C22) TIA Anders. Anders, You could create a dynamic named range for each of your ranges. In your example, if you have no data below your list you could: Insert->Name->Define Input the name then in 'Refers To' type =offset (B1,0,0,counta(B:B),1) ...

Query to show empty cells
I am doing a database for addresses and would like to run a query showing the addresses that are empty. What should I put in the criteria to show an empty cell? Try out the query with IsNull as criterion. -- ********* http://panjas.org If the message was helpful to you, click Yes next to Was this post helpful to you? If the post answers your question, click Yes next to Did this post answer the question? "xololady" wrote: > I am doing a database for addresses and would like to run a query showing the > addresses that are empty. What should I put in the criteria to sh...

Combining date and time into one cell
I have the date (m/dd/yy) in one cell and time (hh:mm) in another cell. How can I merge these two in one cell with the format m/dd/yy hh:mm ? Thanks. Date in A1, time in B1, combined in C1: formula is =A1+B1 and format as you describe. On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 14:03:02 -0800, "Kelly C" <KellyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have the date (m/dd/yy) in one cell and time (hh:mm) in another cell. How >can I merge these two in one cell with the format m/dd/yy hh:mm ? > >Thanks. =TEXT(A1,"m/dd/yy ")&TEXT(B1,"hh:mm") is one way -- HT...

How do I add the same text to numerous existing cells
How do I add the same text to numerous existing cells without having to repeatedly type the text? Ex. adding .gif to XXE1149J, XXE1130J... =A1&".gif" "Wanda_pb" <Wanda_pb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D20A2D9-3BFF-4BA2-A85D-7F5FD229A62A@microsoft.com... > How do I add the same text to numerous existing cells without having to > repeatedly type the text? Ex. adding .gif to XXE1149J, XXE1130J... Thank you, that was very helpful, but I guess I should have mentioned there were "/" also in the text. When I did your sugge...

excel's active cell
how to highlight the active cell with a color each time it moves angelaexceluser, have a look at Chip's addin here for one way to do it, http://www.cpearson.com/excel/RowLiner.htm -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "angelaexceluser" <angelaexceluser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:48BB20C8-3DF8-43AB-B913-9CDB2A288748@microsoft.com... > how to highlight the active cell with a color ...

When you click a hyperlink in a cell i get a Warning message
This message is about harmfull files and gives you an OK and CANCEL. Is it at all possable to disable this particualr message because i have a document full of hyperlinks and its getting anoying!!!! Thanks. ...

Changing formula in multiple cells or range simultaneously
I am trying to change the value in multiple cells in a large worksheet simultaneuously. I want to identify the range and then adjust the formula in the entire range. Is there a way that I can highlight the range and then change to formula in each, simultaneously? For example, if I wanted to double the value in the entire range, how would I do this? Thanks, Michael You could put 2 in an empty cell. Copy it Edit|Paste special|click on Multiply under the operation section. Then clear out that 2. But it really depends on what kind of change you're making. If you wanted to ad...

International date formats
When performing an Edit, replace on the cell value 10.09.03 (a system genereated date vale of 10th Sep 03) replaceing the . with /, Excel (and in VBA when recorded as a macro) sometimes changes the cell value to 09/10/03 (9th October 03). This is driving me potty and have spent a vast amount of time on it trying to work out what Excel is doing!!!! My Regional settings are set fro the UK. Any ideas anyone? "Mike" <michael.may@npower.com> wrote in message news:2d44701c39483$97f77730$a601280a@phx.gbl... > When performing an Edit, replace on the cell value > 10.09.0...

Copying one cell to muliple cells #2
Cell a1 is a date cell. Cells b1-b30 are date cells. What I am trying to do is every time that I enter a new date in Ai, I want it to go to a blank cell in b column and not over write the dates that are already there. A B 2/3/04 1/6/04 1/20/04 1/25/04 2/3/04 right click sheet tab>view code>copy\paste this>format col B as desired date >save. Now when you put a date in a1 such as 8/1, the last cell+1 in col b will get that date. Private Sub Worksheet_...

leading zeros in text format
I receive bulk orders via an Excel spreadsheet, containing many individual orders with reference numbers. The reference numbers may be 7-9 digits long, however the field needs to have 10 digits. The format is set to customize: 0000000000. In this manner, we always see the 10 digits regardless of the actual number. The problem we have is that we bulk-load this spreadsheet through a specific custome built bulk-loader. This reference number field must have 10 actual digits, not format digits. Therefore a number such as 00865243 becomes 865243 and then will not run through the bulk loa...

Captions and Citations won't format differently on same line.
Sir/Ma'am, Here's my issue: I have several figures in my document, which I have captioned using the "caption" command. Additionally, I have given the source for the caption as well. For instance: "Figure 1: Elm Tree (Jones, 2007)." I have created a Table of Figures, and the table of figures views the citation as part of the caption. When I try to select the citation and change it to normal text style (so the table of figures won't recognize it as captioned text) it will not let me change it if it is on the same line. My style book requ...

leading zero problem
Hi, I have been given some call data from my telecomms provider in csv format. I have tried importing that into excel so I can then import into an access table but the format got messed up so I have converted the raw data file to txt. Problem with both when I import into excel is that in my CalledNo cell, I have a leading space in front of the phone number which is of the format 01234567890. I have tried using the data > text to columns tool but this deletes the 0 even tho I keep the cell format as text. I have also tried TRIM function however not all numbers are the same length. Thanks ...

adding a leading 00 to some loan numbers
I've got several thousand loan numbers which need to be updated to a ten-digit format by adding a leading 00. That's easy enough to do, HOWEVER, some of them have already been updated with the leading 00. What formula can I use to add 00 only to those which have not already been updated? Thanks. -- alan =right(rept("0",10)&a1,10) If the values are all numeric (not text), you could apply a custom format: Select the range format|cells|Number tab|Custom category 0000000000 or use a formula like this if the cell looks numeric: =text(a1,rept("0",10)) or =tex...

Conditional Formatting #28
Hi everybody I use Excel 2002 sp2 Is there a means to have more than 3 conditions for confitional formatting ? the dialog box only features 3. many thanks and best regards Jean Luc J.E. McGimpsey shows a way to get up to 6 different formats using conditional formatting and a custom number format. You can't add more conditions, but you may be able to use a worksheet event that formats the cell the way you want. Jean Luc wrote: > > Hi everybody > > I use Excel 2002 sp2 > Is there a means to have more than 3 conditions for > confitional formatting ? the dialog box ...

Cell Formatting to disp. ### numbers
I am trying to format the cells so that it only allows three numbers t be displayed. To be more descriptive: We work with zip codes quite often, but, we only use the first thre digits. Someone sent us a xls file with 12000 zip codes, in one column, and need to know how to make the column show only the first three digits o all the zip codes.. there is another problem, when I convert them to a numeric value, i removes the zero in front...ex. 08245, becomes 8245, but i need to kee that zero in front. Thanks -Eri -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Assuming your zip codes a...

How do I insert a row of blank cells?
I need to know how to insert a row of blank cells every other row in the columns from F to I ONLY!!! I currently have just a straight set of data in those columns like data-data-data-data-data-data. I need to have it alternate data-blankrow-data-blankrow-data-blankrow- as I go down from row to row. I need to do this for about 1000 rows so I need a quick way to do it if there is one. HELP!!! Looks like this: Data Data Data Data I want this: Data Data Data Data Thanks. Chris -open the VB editor -double click the sheet of interest -View from the menu--> Code -Paste the belo...