Join / Merge sheet data to a consolidated list

Hello All

Is it possible to join or merge data in multiple sheets to form a results
sheet. eg.

Sheet1 contains indeterminate number of records (variable unknown number of
records) in column A, and an indeterminate number of similar records on
Sheet2, Sheet3 etc. I want to read all entries in column A on all sheets and
consolidate them all to one sheet for sorting purposes. Is this possible
using a function in excel???

Thanks

Jake
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi, Jake.  This is something I do at work and is very easy.  In fact, it is
essential in a multi-person department setting to have a separate workbook
for this.  I would rather people pull up a "summary" file that contains
references to all the data rather than give them access to the actual data
itself.  I don't need people accidentally (or intentionally) overwriting my
data!

First, it is usually helpful to have a "Master List" of all the possible
values for column A.  You can store this in a separate worksheet or even a
separate workbook.  If you do not have such a list currently, you can start
one by filtering Sheet1 column A for unique records (it makes you save that
list somewhere on Sheet1 at first, but then you can just cut it and paste it
to a new sheet or new workbook).

Once you have your Master List of all unique values that are possible in
column A, then you can reference whatever you want in the columns to the
right of each unique ID using index/match, sumif, countif, or sumproduct
formulas as you wish.  This lets you use Excel as a rudimentary database of
sorts, so long as you have some common "primary keys" between related
worksheets that you can use as a lookup tool (just like in a database).

"Jakem Schott" <JakemSchott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello All
>
> Is it possible to join or merge data in multiple sheets to form a results
> sheet. eg.
>
> Sheet1 contains indeterminate number of records (variable unknown number
> of
> records) in column A, and an indeterminate number of similar records on
> Sheet2, Sheet3 etc. I want to read all entries in column A on all sheets
> and
> consolidate them all to one sheet for sorting purposes. Is this possible
> using a function in excel???
>
> Thanks
>
> Jake

Jake,

I think you could accomplish this pretty easily with just one work sheet
rather than multiple worksheets, especially since classes are usually
guaranteed to be within a limited size.  I'll give you pointers on how to do
this using one worksheet (which assumes you have full control of all data
entry), then at the end I'll show you how to make this work the way you
originally requested if you decide that one sheet won't fit your situation
(like if each teacher enters the grades for their own classes, in which case
I would generally recommend setting up separate workbooks with restricted
permissions, not one workbook with separate worksheets).

ONE WORKSHEET WAY
On your "All_Classes" worksheet, set up your headers across the top.  A is
Class #, B is student name, C is attendance/absences, D is 1st Semester
overall grades, E is 1st Semester assignment grades, F is 1st Semester test
grades, G is 1st Semester midterm exam grade, H is 1st Semester final exam
grade, whatever your heart desires.  Even SAT/ACT scores.  You can drill
down your headers to be as detailed or general as you want, so long as you
have the data to fill it.

Copy your student information and marks over from Sheet1, then from Sheet2,
etc. until all students are on this worksheet.  As you copy, make sure you
fill in the number 1 for all Class 1 folks in column A, and so on for all
classes.

Obviously, we need room to add more students later.  Using your max class
size * number of classes (such as 60 students max per class * 5 classes
would put you at row 301), make that row (301) permanently blank and begin
your stats/totals key in the next row.  You can resize the height of this
blank row to 4 or 8 to make it less obnoxious.

For stats/totals, here are the steps to have all totals for each class and
overall totals always visible:
If Z is your last column, then in AA302 put 1, in AA303 put 2, and then
highlight those 2 and drag the fill handle down for as many classes as you
have (for 5 classes, we'll stop at row 306).
Next, it's time for totals formulas
A302 ="Class "&AA302&" Totals"
B302 =COUNTIF($A$2:$A300,AA302)
C302 =SUMIF($A$2:$A$300,$AA302,C$2:C$300)/$B302  ->then use the fill handle
on C302 to drag across to the last column (Z).  Highlight A302 to Z302 and
use the fill handle to drag those formulas down to row 306.
A307 "Overall Totals"
B307, hit Alt+Enter to autosum A302:A306.  Use the fill handle to drag that
across to column Z.

Finally, select all your headers and potential data area above the blank row
(A1:Z300), assign it the name "Entire_Dataset" and apply autofilter.  Now
you can look at just class 1 data by filtering column A for 1, or you can
look at everyone by filtering column A for "nonblanks."  When you need to
delete a student, simply highlight their data (let's say A99:Z99) and hit
the delete key.  If you need to add a student, unfilter column A to show
"All" and start typing in the first available row (like B190) and start
putting in their data.  As you have adds/deletes, you may need to resort
your list occassionally: Edit -> GoTo -> Entire_Dataset and then Data ->
Sort.  You can sort or filter this thing a myriad of ways...who all had 0
absences, who all scored 100 in one area or overall.  You could even set
this thing up for Advanced Filter and reserve rows 1 through 12 for some
criteria, such as grades >=90, >=80 and <90, etc.

If you only want totals to show for the class you are looking at and the
overall, you can do that as well.  Just let me know if you would rather have
that.

MULTIPLE WORKSHEETS WAY
If you'd really rather keep the individual classes on their own worksheets
(say, each teacher is responsible for typing in their own data, so you have
a separate workbook for each Class), then you can just use simple lookup
formulas on "All_Classes".  I assume your worksheets or workbooks now do not
have a column for class number, so on each of them put the number 1 or 2 or
3 in cell AA2 and drag that number down to your max class size on each
sheet.

On "All_Classes",  set up your headers to match the other worksheets.  If
you use separate workbooks, the syntax is 'File Location\[Workbook
Name]Sheet1'!
A2 =IF(B2=0,"",Sheet1!AA2)
B2=Sheet1!A2 -> then you can use the fill handle on B2 to drag the formula
across as far as you need (like Z2).
Select A2:Z2 and use the fill handle to drag those formulas down the 60 or
so max rows you need.
Copy A61:B61 to A62:B62 and change Sheet1 to Sheet2 and the row to 2.  Now
drag B62 across to Z62, then drag A62:Z62 down 60 rows, etc.  Lather, rinse,
repeat.
When you're done, filter column A for "NonBlanks" and always leave that
filter engaged.

The only difference with this approach is that you must do your data entry
and sorting on each worksheet or workbook.  You can still use "All_Classes"
for filtering and totals but not for sorting or data entry.

Hope this helps!
-KC

> [...]
>> of
>> sorts, so long as you have some common "primary keys" between related
>> worksheets that you can use as a lookup tool (just like in a database).
>>

>> "Jakem Schott" <JakemSchott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello All
>> >
>> > Is it possible to join or merge data in multiple sheets to form a
>> > results
>> > sheet. eg.
>> >
>> > Sheet1 contains indeterminate number of records (variable unknown
>> > number
>> > of
>> > records) in column A, and an indeterminate number of similar records on
>> > Sheet2, Sheet3 etc. I want to read all entries in column A on all
>> > sheets
>> > and
>> > consolidate them all to one sheet for sorting purposes. Is this

One correction.  For overall Totals, don't drag the B307 auto sum across.
In C307, you need =sum(C1:C300)/$B307, then drag that across to Z307.  Sorry
for that missed step.

"KC Rippstein" <kcrippstein@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>> separate workbook.  If you do not have such a list currently, you can
>>> start
>>> one by filtering Sheet1 column A for unique records (it makes you save
>>> that
>>> list somewhere on Sheet1 at first, but then you can just cut it and
>>> paste it
>>> to a new sheet or new workbook).
>>>
>>> Once you have your Master List of all unique values that are possible in
>>> column A, then you can reference whatever you want in the columns to the
>>> right of each unique ID using index/match, sumif, countif, or sumproduct
>>> formulas as you wish.  This lets you use Excel as a rudimentary database
>>> of
>>> sorts, so long as you have some common "primary keys" between related
>>> worksheets that you can use as a lookup tool (just like in a database).

Consolidating multiple worksheets
I have multiple worksheets in one file. All have the same column headings, but the row information is different. Example: Joe Smith's information on Worksheet 1 may be on A5 but on Worksheet 2 he is on A10. I would like to show all of this in one file so that I can summarize and sort the information. Adding to the confusion, I need subtotals for each worksheet as they are for different items in the company. I see that I cannot do a pivot table from other posts but thought that a consolidation worksheet might be better. Problem is, I have never done one and am unsure as to how...

Format a combobox list as a heirarchy...?
I have a table that has a primary key and a parentKey column. I'm using it as a Combo Box in the Lookup of a field in another Table. Right now, the dropdown list is formatted normally, like this: Program1 | Process1 Program1 | Process2 Program1 | Process3 Program2 | Process1 Program2 | Process2 Is there an easy way to make it look like this: Program1 | Process1 - | Process2 - | Process3 Program2 | Process1 - | Process2 -- Brian Brian ?"in a table"? Are you saying that you are using a lookup field data type in a table? You posted in ...

Mass updating records with different data for each record
CRM4.0. I need to update about 160 accounts with some data that wasn't imported, as we added new fields in CRM that we now want updated for all accounts. I have a spreadsheet that contains the account and the value that needs to go in a custom account field. Each account has a different value in that specific field. In my example I only mention one field, but reality is there over 10 fields that need to be updated for 160+ accounts. Again, I've compiled the data in a spreadsheet, and now need to "update" the records in CRM. What is the best and/or easiest method t...

Data Validation #11
Hello All- Few Questions about Data Validation 1) I have a conditional data valdation set up to display a different selection list in the second data field based upon the answer the user provided in the previous cell to another data validation selection list containing on Yes or No. Lets say the user selects yes in the first field and then selects an option in the second field based upon their previous answer of yes but then goes back and changes yes to No, how can I erase the response the user selected in the second field when the selection list is updated. Now, the previous answer stays...

preventing distribution lists from getting outside emails
We have an Exchange 5.5 server an have recently started receiving computer worm/virus emails to our companywide (everyone@mycompany.com) email address, thus everyone recieves the email. Is there any way to block this particular email address from receiving emails from the outside (internet)? Why not just remove the SMTP address? On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 16:43:16 -0700, "Jason Gallas" <jgallas@hotmail.com> wrote: >We have an Exchange 5.5 server an have recently started receiving computer >worm/virus emails to our companywide (everyone@mycompany.com) email address, >t...

I accidentally deleted a contact list
Right when I did it, a brief msg flashed that said something about where it went - junk folder ? I don't recall. I am using MS Office Professional 2007 and find the Contacts and Distribution Lists very confusing! I meant to delete a distribution list and ended up deleting a contacts list. It's in the Deleted items folder - search for it there if you can't find it. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-reque...

subform data needs to be saved in main form's table
I have 2 tables. One table will store student names temporalily and the other will store several hundred company names - that are not temporary. I have an unbound combo box in my main form which queries the company table. When a company is selected, it's details appear in the subform. So, if I have a company selected, and several student names typed in the main form, it all looks perfect. Now, I want to save all of the information in the main table (the student table) so I can do mail merge in MS Word...How would I get that sub form information from the company table to save in...

Sample Data Base error
I've installed CRM 1.2 according to the Implementation guide and added our license key for 6 users. I assigned each user a license. When I try to add the sample database, I get the error "You do not have 5 Microsoft CRM Suite Professional licenses available. For more information, contact your system administrator.". I also tried removing the licenses from the users so i had 5 free/unassigned licenses but I got the same error. Can anyone help? Sean Sean, Double check to make sure that the licenses really were removed from the users. Assuming you did this via the web clie...

Data Selection Help
Fellow Excellians, I need a little help Picture my screen I have 16 teams and about 12 to 15 people per team Cell C1 TO C100 Contains Various Team Names Cell D1 to D200 Contains peoples Names In Cell A1 Contains "Team Name" in Cell A2 i want to select a person from the list i have created in C1 & C2 but it needs to filter out only the people that play for that team selected in A1 Anyone Got any idea's Thanking so much in advance Steve ...

Making long alphanumeric list
Sorry guys this is a newbie question I know... But how do you make a long alphanumeric list in excel automatically without having to type all the figures etc... eg Lan01 Lan02 ... .... Lan101 etc. Thanks:) -- Medtner ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Medtner's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29547 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=492512 Just enter Lan01 in the first cell,, then move the cursor to the bottom-right corner of the cell until it changes to a black cros...

list spacing
I am using ON 2010 beta. Do you have any idea how I can change the space size between the list items? For example, I have a list as follows: 1. car 2. pencil 3. table I would like ON to give automatically a line line space between the list items, but it does not. How to do that? ...

Recognising the user switch between Form view and Data sheet view
My Uncle has an Access application where he would like to sometimes switch from a Form's Form View to Data sheet view and back. He would like certain settings for each view (eg form maximisable when in Data Sheet view but not when in Form view,and certain fields hidden in data sheet view but visible in text boxes in Form view. So,is there an event which is fired when the form's view style is being changed,so that I could put appropriate coding there? Either Access 2003 or 2007 could be used,preferably 2003. I realize I could put a button on the form in form view, say,whe...

Quick Campaign lists
Hi, Is there a way to add names inot the quick campaign list and have it not go inot the leads, and also is there a way to bulk transfer the owner for the whole list? Thanks Please clarify "Jasmine" <Jasmine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A4059AAF-254A-4D4E-A392-0DDE3E13F1AC@microsoft.com... > Hi, > Is there a way to add names inot the quick campaign list and have it not > go > inot the leads, and also is there a way to bulk transfer the owner for the > whole list? > Thanks ...

move/copy data w
Is it possible to set it so if i type a word in a particular cell that the data that is in the corresponding row is then moved to another sheet in the workbook? For example: When I type the word Confirmed in Column X on sheet1 I want the info from column c and k-aa on the row that I just typed Confirmed for to copy over to sheet 2 in cells A and B-R For example: I type Confirmed in cell X9 on sheet one, I want C9 and K9 - AA9 to move over to sheet 2. Excel 2000 I think I'd take a slightly different approach. I'd select my range and do Data|filter|autofilter. Then I could...

merging data with ms word letter
I have a situation in which the users want to merge records in a table to a Word letter template. Once the merge takes place, a field in the table is updated with the date the merge took place. Then later when the user goes against the table it is filtered against the empty field records so the newer records can then be sent the letter and not those that were already sent. There will be multiple records accessed each time the merge takes place. I am a bit lost on how to do the merging of the record data into MS Word and seek the expertise of the group. If there is are any samples/ex...

Dropdown List Help
Does anyone know how I can make the dropdown button on a list stay visible whether the cell is active or not. Thanks for the help, Steve You can't if you use data > validation, you would need a combo box from either the forms or control toolbox tollbars Regards, Peo Sjoblom "smonczka@hotmail.com" wrote: > Does anyone know how I can make the dropdown button on a list stay > visible whether the cell is active or not. > > Thanks for the help, > > Steve > > Steve Same answer as yesterday when you posted the identical question. Steve No. T...

Summarizing Data
Hello, I am working on summarizing data that was given to me in a format like: Ref Num Group Score Category (below are in one cell) 205 AA 3 Asset, Liability 206 BB 2 Revenue, AR, Asset 207 AA 1 Liability 208 CC 3 Expense, Liability 208 AA 2 Asset, Expense 205 CC 2 Asset I want to end up summarizing the information into a report/pivot table, chart, something that would look something like: Group Category Ref Score AA Asset 205 3 AA Liability 205 3 AA Asset 208 2 BB Revenue 206 2 BB AR 206 2 BB Asset 206 2 … This would break out the category column to allow for each...

Distribution List #2
How do I import a distribution list that someone emailed to me so that I can use it in outlook 2002 ...

Data Migration #4
Hi, i can't migrate from sage line 50 into GP 10.o -- Microsoft Dyanmics GP 10 TBash: Did you have a question or just wanted to make that comment? Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com i am asking for solutions on Migration from third party products to GP (Sage Line50,Line 500, Peachtree and Simply Accounting) -- Microsoft Dyanmics GP 10 "Frank Hamelly, MCP-GP" wrote: > TBash: > > Did you have a question or just wanted to make that comment? > > Frank Hamelly > MCP-GP, MCT > East Coast Dynamics > www.eastcoast-...

steps to restore data files
Hello, Here is my problem, I had a drive failure and 1 good backup of my email store. When I rebuilt my domain I chose to rename it slightly so the workstation connecting went a little quicker. I never considered that it might have an impact on any restore of exchange. I did try to recover it with NTbackup, but the store will not mount. Is there an easy way to get just the data? Maybe as flat-files? Does a different domain name make this impossible -or- since it was a fresh install could it simply be that I don't have it patched to the same level? Since I was not able to view/mov...

Clean Up Code
Hi All... I have code that contains the following: ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "USB" Range("A2").Select ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "04165" Range("A3").Select ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "14709" Range("A4").Select ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "14716" Range("A5").Select ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "24704" Range("A6").Select ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "44705" Range("A7").Select ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "44710" and it goes on to ent...

input not erasing old data without notice?
Hi, Here is the problem I need to solve with Excel and hope to hear solution suggestions from this NG... I have a sheet named "Gorev" where I enter the "teacher name", "lesson&class" and "period for this lesson" info row by row for each different task. This info is then used in another sheet named "Haftaplan" where the top row holds the period labels, A:A column holds the names of teachers while the matrix region (area) between these two axis displays the data of the "lesson&class names" retrieved from lists via the formula ...

Global Adress List #2
I added a new employee this morning around 11 am. Everything went as planned. Our SBS server 2K3 and Exchange 2K3 SP2 accepted everything. The server console shows the user in the global address list. Yet none of the other users in the company see the person in the global address list. If you access the users directories and other lists she's there. If you type her mail address it will go to her. If you just type the name without the @ and ask to check names she doesn't appear. Just not the global list on all other workstations. Is there a certain amount of time req'd before...

How do I create a report that shows the control names when no data?
I'm trying to create a report made up of about 10 subreports. Creating the report isn't a problem but I want the subreports to show the control labels even if there isn't any data (similar to a form) I've tried various formats but can't get it to work. Anyone any idea how I can force the control labels to show on a sub report even if there isn't any data for that report? Thanks Tony Tony Williams wrote: >I'm trying to create a report made up of about 10 subreports. Creating the >report isn't a problem but I want the subreports to show the control...

Global address list does not appear in mail merge
I'm trying to use Outlook 2003 to send an email to multiple persons using mail merge. 1) I create a new message 2) Go to Tools/../Mail Merge 3) Document Type = Email messages 4) Use current document 5) Select recipients = Select from Outlook contacts .. and here only appears my private contact book, but it doesn't show the Global Address list. Please help! Thanks in advance Gaspar ...