Is this possible within Excel 2000?

Hi, I've used Excel on a get by basis for many years at work, and I'm just
beginning to realise its vast capabilities, having viewed several groups
which I didn't know existed previously.
 I subsequently would like to ask if it is possible for Excel to look at the
numerical or text content of a cell on one worksheet and then look at a
predefined range on another worksheet and find the equivalent cell content
and then move the cursor to that cell? This has me stumped presently.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
J.J.

0
j.stanger (1)
8/15/2004 1:16:38 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

To actually move the selection, you'd need to use a little program.

But if you meant, you wanted to return the value from (say) the third column
over in the table when a match is found, you could use a worksheet formula.
Look at =vlookup() in help:

=vlookup(a1,sheet2!$a$1:$z$99,3,false)

will match up what's in A1 of the current sheet with Sheet2's A1:A99 and bring
back the value in the third column (sheet2's column C).

Option Explicit
Sub testme()

    Dim myCell As Range
    Dim myLookinCol As Range
    Dim res As Variant

    With Worksheets("sheet2")
        Set myLookinCol = .Range("a4:a28")
        Set myCell = ActiveCell 'or whatever you want

        res = Application.Match(myCell.Value, myLookinCol, 0)
        If IsError(res) Then
            MsgBox "not found in table"
        Else
            '2 columns to the right (still column C)
            Application.Goto myLookinCol(res).Offset(0, 2)
        End If
    End With

End Sub

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

MS- Outlook 2000 not responding
Pls My Outlook is hanging repeatedly. how can I resolve this. Does it hang at any particular point (collecting mail, closing, opening, etc)? "BAbajide Fadairo" <pappyjay_5@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:01a601c3aa89$a1870dd0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Pls My Outlook is hanging repeatedly. > how can I resolve this. ...

why wont an excel doc open with new msn office
i have just got a new comp with the new microsoft woeks on it, word doc if differant, and a few other things but an excel doc was sent to me an it will not open it ???????? Hi MS Works is a 'light' version of Office, containing a 'light' version of Excel and a 'light' version of Word. You cannot open Excel or Word files with Works. You'll have to get the files saved as .csv or .txt or a Works file to be able to open them with Works. Andy. "peterk4" <peterk4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:53597904-F529-4E67-BC56-D957C375779...

excel pivot table with sql query and visual basic macros
I have a pivot table that runs off a sql query, it has macros and parameters built into the report. It worked until the client updated their server and db software. When debugging this, on the module under the closedb it stops here: Sub CloseDB() 'IF CONNECTION IS OPEN IT NEEDS TO BE CLOSED SO AN ERROR IS NOT THROWN If rsData.State = 1 Then rsData.Close Set rsData = Nothing End If cnData.Close Set cnData = Nothing Set Cmd = Nothing End Sub Thanks ...

Excel 2002 Create Workbook (merge/reformat)?
I have 12 seperate spreadsheets I want to combine into 1 workbook (12 tabs). Any other alternative ways to do this other than copy and paste? Need to reformat "most" of the worksheets, I assume this can be done if all 12 tabs are selected. I may have to do this several times otherwise I would just copy and paste. Each spreadsheet has an average of 3k-4k transactions. You can open the workbook, ctrl-click on the worksheet tab and drag that worksheet into another workbook. (Then close that "sending" workbook and open the next...) ~Dave~ wrote: > > I have 1...

Excel 97-remove link but keep data
Hi guys, I have a pre-existing excel 97 s/s which has links to other s/s's. I would like to keep the data only (like paste-special, values) and remove the linked reference from showing in the current s/s. Any ideas how to do this instead of me changing each linked reference? Thanks in advance! search for .xls or [ or ] to see if you can find the formulas that contain links to other workbooks. Van wrote: > > Hi guys, > > I have a pre-existing excel 97 s/s which has links to other s/s's. I would > like to keep the data only (like paste-special, values) and rem...

Excel file takes a long time to save
I have a 1,000 x 15 straight worksheet with no formulas - about 100K. I went to auto-format a pattern, but didn't select the area and if formatted the entire spreadsheet. It's since gone from 5 seconds to 60 seconds per save and I can't reverse this, even by changing the auto-format setting to "none." I'm backed-up, but the current version is about three hours ahead and it will take longer to retrace the work by hand. Any suggestions? Thanks, Ben Try resetting the last used cell. Debra Dalgleish has some techniques at: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Un...

Using Excel 2000 as Data source for Word 2000 document
Problem using Mail Merge using Word 2000 & Excel 2000. After numerous problems - Word failed to connect to Data Souce file then it would & then it wouldn't and so on - reasons which are unknown! The 106 records in 19 fields from the Excel Data Source are only transferring the information for the first 104 records. I am looking to add further records but obviously need to overcome this problem. Hi Malcolm- Obvious, perhaps, but are you certain that the records are in consecutive rows & no vacant columns separating the fields of data? Does the data range contain any Merge...

Excel design questions
Hi, I'm a new to excel. I'm assigned task to perform creating charts based on the following data. I explored little bit from web about the capabilities of excel, but few areas I'm not still quite sure about how to get it working. - Is it possible to have advanced filter to automatically refresh if the data is changed on which the filter is acting on?? Do I need to write maro for this?? - If i have a column with data (different types of tree names, ex: Apple, Apple, Maple, Grape,Grape..etc - name is repeatable). Can I uniquely get the name of all the different tree names automati...

Excel 2000 #9
Is there a way to change the date format in footers and headers.?.these two items do not seem to pick up the formatting specified for the individual cells. David H. David Excel in any version uses the Short Date format from Windows Regional settings in headers/footers. You can make some minor changes in Regional settings but not too much. How about a macro to add the date in any format you choose? Sub DateInFooter() With ActiveSheet .PageSetup.CenterFooter = Format(Date, "dddd, mmmm-dd-yyyy") End With End Sub Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 5 Feb 2008...

Excel Crash

Not sure if this is possible
I have my database set up to process our company's cellphone bills. Everything works perfectly but there is a feature I would like to add. since all of the data is already there, I have a query set to look at the data and provide me with the minutes used for each month, date of the invoice and cost charged for each phone. In the report I have it sorted by phone number and user and I have averages set for each user simply by entering in the start and end dates of the invoices queried. Now, here's the question. I know I can do averages in a query but would that no depend on sp...

Serucity Patch and Outlook 2000 Mail Merge
We use Outlook with an Exchange server. Outlook 2000 with latest update and Exchange 5.5SP4 plus updates. We have a contact folder and started a mail merge from Outlook. It works great and we're able to use, add, test, and confirm the fields and formats that we like. We are using it to merge into an email message. Everything works fine. One item we'd like to get around when sending the merge to Outlook it prompts twice at every contact - once asking if we want to allow access to Outlook and to this prompt we can respond allow access for x minutes. This prompt is ok because when mergi...

outlook, 2000
How do i setup for multiple identities, (4 e-mail addresses)in outlook 2000.? http://www.slipstick.com/exs/olroam.htm is a good place to start. Also, have a look at this page as well prior to getting to the profiles: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/choosingmode.htm --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer ladyjt <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> asked: | How do i setup for mu...

Inserting Rows in Excel
I have a spreadsheet with a unique identifier for each customer, Customer Information File (CIF). Whenever this number changes, I want to automatically insert a blank row. This will merely making the the spreadsheet more pleasing to the eye to read. Keep in mind, there may not be a break in CIF for 1 to 15 lines, but whenever this CIF number changes, I want a new blank row. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! David David Macro solution OK? Sub InsertRow_At_Change() Dim i As Long With Application .Calculation = xlManual .ScreenUpdating = False End With ...

Multi-User Excel File on a Network Drive
How can I make an Excel file accessible to multiple users concurrently? With all able to make and save changes to the same file. Thanks, Mike "Mike" wrote > How can I make an Excel file accessible to multiple > users concurrently? With all able to make and save > changes to the same file. Tools / Share Workbook Jordon ...

Use Excel to update Outlook address book
hi all... Is there a way to update outlook address book using excel? Is there a macro available for it? Thank you for your answers Mike ...

Algebra within a cell
How do you set-up a formula in a cell that multiplies a constant times the number you insert? Ex. the constant is .315 remains present at all times only the number you insert changes - =.315*(x) You can't unless you use an event macro, if you need a formula you have to use another cell as help =0.315*A2 where A2 holds x you can also put 0.315 in a cell, copy it, select the cel with x and then paste special and select multiply. But to get this instantly you have to use something like Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) If Intersect(Range("A2"), Target)...

Compress an Excel File
I have an excel file that is 36 meg. Do you know how to compress the file? When I zip the file it drops to 3meg so I know it can be compressed. I beleive the file has become large due to the constent changes I need to make to the file. Help Please. Hi Mandy Maybe this will help? http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused You can use Rob Bovey's Code cleaner to clean up your code http://www.appspro.com/utilities/utilities.asp -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Mandy" <mangelo@arbys.com> wrote in message news:42c401c47fa1$ddc405d0$a401280a@...

Tracking an email when sent directly from Excel
I often use the feature File>Send To>Mail Reciepient (as attachment) when I'm working in an Excel Workbook. However I can never find any record of this in Outlook, or anywhere else. Is there a way so this gets recorded in Outlook, or can you tell me where I can find some record of the email and its contents. Thank you, On May 18, 7:23=A0pm, Rob <robfl...@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > I often use the feature File>Send To>Mail Reciepient (as attachment) > when I'm working in an Excel Workbook. =A0However I can never find any > record of this in Outloo...

Diable excel macro for DATES
Hi, everytime i copy and paste from a website in this format XX/YY excel sees it as a DATE. how can i disable this feature..I just want t paste it as its raw form of XX/YY. When i cut and paste it in my exce and try to change the format by using TExt. it comes up with rubbis numbers. Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com try formatting, as text, before you import -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "evo >" <<evo.18vufd@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:evo.18vufd@excelforum-nospam.com... > Hi, > > everytime i copy ...

Reading Excel Checkboxes in Access
Hi All I created a spreadsheet with checkboxes (controls) on it for reporting purposes. I now need to import the data contained on the spreadsheets into Access. The data is not laid out in neat columns or rows, it was formated to be a stand alone report originally. My problem is not in reading cells within the spreadsheet, I'm able to do that. My issue is that I can't tell if a checkbox is checked or not. What I've done: If I execute the following code in Excel I return a boolean partAM = CheckBox15.Value I return true or false Here is my access code: Set xlapp = New Excel....

make excel files with same names to be opened at one time
It is very difficult to work if you want to compare changed data made in the file with old one ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=cde27763-1bc7-4299-874f-ac53e066ae7a&dg=microsoft.public....

Why does my excel chart appear in gray when I copy it?
I want to copy an excel chart into powerpoint. It is a simple column chart. However the columns contain a color gradient. When I copy the chart to the clipoard, the columns turn into gray. This problem however does not occur on other computers using the same excel version (2003). Hi batman, There are about 30 ways to copy and paste charts from Excel into PowerPoint. The problem you are describing is not one I have heard of - namely that it works on one machine but not another. However, you could try a different method of copying. For example - you can use the Camera tool to copy a ...

how can I get old replaced excel file
I have one A file, suddenly I have go to sav as option & select file B to replace with A I said yes, but my mistake I said yes. Please see how can I get that old A file from back date ? Use the backup copy. If you didn't create a backup last time, make sure that you do next time. In your "Save As" dialogue, "General Options" comes from the Tools option (in Excel 2007). If you didn't create a backup copy yourself, then you are out of luck unless your system (or your IT department if you have one) has created a backup, or unless you sent a cop...

repeating cells in footer in excel
I need prepare a form with many lines. In this form I need to provide a footer (with a group of cells) for approvement. Even I can select cells to repeat in every page header there is no such a feature for footers. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http:...