Is there a way to Sort Data by font color or cell shading?

I have a long list of items that I sort by either item number or date
depending on what I'm looking for. From time to time these items status will
change and I will gray them out by just shading the background of the cell
gray.

Is there a way I can sort these items by the background/shading of the cell
first and then the secondary sort be date?

So all the cells which contain gray shading will be first in the list
(sorted by date if possible) then the rest of the list without the gray
shading will follow by date as well.

Thanks.

0
no (445)
12/2/2008 4:13:18 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Take a look at this link:

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/SortByColor.htm

which shows how you can sort by colour.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Dec 2, 4:13=A0pm, "FISH" <n...@spam.com> wrote:
> I have a long list of items that I sort by either item number or date
> depending on what I'm looking for. From time to time these items status w=
ill
> change and I will gray them out by just shading the background of the cel=
> gray.
>
> Is there a way I can sort these items by the background/shading of the ce=
ll
> first and then the secondary sort be date?
>
> So all the cells which contain gray shading will be first in the list
> (sorted by date if possible) then the rest of the list without the gray
> shading will follow by date as well.
>
> Thanks.

0
pashurst (2576)
12/2/2008 4:31:52 PM
How about an alternative?

Add an extra column and use it for an indicator.  You could either sort by that
column (primary key???) or you may find that applying data|filter|autofilter so
you can hide or show what you want is even better.

--

Dave Peterson
0

The Auto Filter option will be easier for someone like me if sorting by
color needs some manual coding.

I'm surprised that Excel doesn't have an easy way to sort by color just like
the easy to use normal data / sort options.

> How about an alternative?
>
> Add an extra column and use it for an indicator.  You could either sort by
> that
> column (primary key???) or you may find that applying
> data|filter|autofilter so
> you can hide or show what you want is even better.
>
> FISH wrote:
>>
>> I have a long list of items that I sort by either item number or date
>> depending on what I'm looking for. From time to time these items status
>> will
>> change and I will gray them out by just shading the background of the
>> cell
>> gray.
>>
>> Is there a way I can sort these items by the background/shading of the
>> cell
>> first and then the secondary sort be date?
>>
>> So all the cells which contain gray shading will be first in the list
>> (sorted by date if possible) then the rest of the list without the gray
>> shading will follow by date as well.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
no (445)
12/2/2008 6:13:12 PM
Look at free ASAP Utilities to sort by color

"FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
>I have a long list of items that I sort by either item number or date
>depending on what I'm looking for. From time to time these items status
>will change and I will gray them out by just shading the background of the
>cell gray.
>
> Is there a way I can sort these items by the background/shading of the
> cell first and then the secondary sort be date?
>
> So all the cells which contain gray shading will be first in the list
> (sorted by date if possible) then the rest of the list without the gray
> shading will follow by date as well.
>

> Thanks.

0
ericNOSPAM (46)
12/2/2008 7:02:08 PM
Hi,

Excel 2007 allows Sort by Font color, Fill color as well as Filter by Color.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

On Dec 2, 9:13=A0pm, "FISH" <n...@spam.com> wrote:
> I have a long list of items that I sort by either item number or date
> depending on what I'm looking for. From time to time these items status w=
ill
> change and I will gray them out by just shading the background of the cel=
> gray.
>
> Is there a way I can sort these items by the background/shading of the ce=
ll
> first and then the secondary sort be date?
>
> So all the cells which contain gray shading will be first in the list
> (sorted by date if possible) then the rest of the list without the gray
> shading will follow by date as well.
>
> Thanks.

Say data in Column A With Header
Select A2
Go to Insert<Name<Define
Type LCOLOR
Type In Refer
Get.cell(38,A2)
Ok
Now Type the Formula in B2
Type LCOLOR

Now Sort the Column B in Decending Order

Hardeep kanwar
hmmm, I'm new to this stuff so I couldn't understand your suggestions,
sorry.

I have a range of cells between G5:G3000 that I would like to be able to
sort by the shading of the cell.

Are you saying there is a way for a newbie like me to do this? If so, would
you explain how once more?

Thanks.

"renu98" <hardeep.kanwar@gmail.com> wrote in message
On Dec 2, 9:13 pm, "FISH" <n...@spam.com> wrote:
> I have a long list of items that I sort by either item number or date
> depending on what I'm looking for. From time to time these items status
> will
> change and I will gray them out by just shading the background of the cell
> gray.
>
> Is there a way I can sort these items by the background/shading of the
> cell
> first and then the secondary sort be date?
>
> So all the cells which contain gray shading will be first in the list
> (sorted by date if possible) then the rest of the list without the gray
> shading will follow by date as well.
>
> Thanks.

Say data in Column A With Header
Select A2
Go to Insert<Name<Define
Type LCOLOR
Type In Refer
Get.cell(38,A2)
Ok
Now Type the Formula in B2
Type LCOLOR

Now Sort the Column B in Decending Order

Hardeep kanwar

0
no (445)
12/3/2008 5:27:31 PM
On Dec 3, 10:27 pm, "FISH" <n...@spam.com> wrote:
> hmmm, I'm new to this stuff so I couldn't understand your suggestions,
> sorry.
>
> I have a range of cells between G5:G3000 that I would like to be able to
> sort by the shading of the cell.
>
> Are you saying there is a way for a newbie like me to do this? If so, wou=
ld
> you explain how once more?
>
> Thanks.
>
> "renu98" <hardeep.kan...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Dec 2, 9:13 pm, "FISH" <n...@spam.com> wrote:
>
> > I have a long list of items that I sort by either item number or date
> > depending on what I'm looking for. From time to time these items status
> > will
> > change and I will gray them out by just shading the background of the c=
ell
> > gray.
>
> > Is there a way I can sort these items by the background/shading of the
> > cell
> > first and then the secondary sort be date?
>
> > So all the cells which contain gray shading will be first in the list
> > (sorted by date if possible) then the rest of the list without the gray
> > shading will follow by date as well.
>
> > Thanks.
>
> Say data in Column A With Header
> Select A2
> Go to Insert<Name<Define
> Type LCOLOR
> Type In Refer
> Get.cell(38,A2)
> Ok
> Now Type the Formula in B2
> Type LCOLOR
>
> Now Sort the Column B in Decending Order
>
> Hardeep kanwar

Hey

Its Very Simple

As you say that your data in the Range of G5:G3000

Select A5
Go to Main Menu
 Insert<Name<Define
Type LCOLOR in names in the Workbooks
Type In Below (Refer to)
=3DGet.cell(38,A2)

Ok
Now Type the Formula in F5

Type =3DLCOLOR

Copy the Formulas From G5 to G3000

In F5:F3000 it show the numeric value if the cell in the Column in F
it show the Numeric Value Depending upon the Colour or Shading.

Now Sort the Column F in Descending Order

If this helps you click =93Yes=94 if not Please provide the Attached file

Hardeep kanwar

On Dec 3, 10:27 pm, "FISH" <n...@spam.com> wrote:
> hmmm, I'm new to this stuff so I couldn't understand your suggestions,
> sorry.
>
> I have a range of cells between G5:G3000 that I would like to be able to
> sort by the shading of the cell.
>
> Are you saying there is a way for a newbie like me to do this? If so, wou=
ld
> you explain how once more?
>
> Thanks.
>
> "renu98" <hardeep.kan...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Dec 2, 9:13 pm, "FISH" <n...@spam.com> wrote:
>
> > I have a long list of items that I sort by either item number or date
> > depending on what I'm looking for. From time to time these items status
> > will
> > change and I will gray them out by just shading the background of the c=
ell
> > gray.
>
> > Is there a way I can sort these items by the background/shading of the
> > cell
> > first and then the secondary sort be date?
>
> > So all the cells which contain gray shading will be first in the list
> > (sorted by date if possible) then the rest of the list without the gray
> > shading will follow by date as well.
>
> > Thanks.
>
> Say data in Column A With Header
> Select A2
> Go to Insert<Name<Define
> Type LCOLOR
> Type In Refer
> Get.cell(38,A2)
> Ok
> Now Type the Formula in B2
> Type LCOLOR
>
> Now Sort the Column B in Decending Order
>
> Hardeep kanwar

Please the ignore the previous one.

Try This

As you say that your data in the Range of G5:G3000

Select G5
Go to Main Menu
 Insert<Name<Define
Type LCOLOR in names in the Workbooks
Type In Below (Refer to)
=3DGet.cell(38,G5)

Ok
Now Type the Formula in F5

Type =3DLCOLOR

Copy the Formulas From G5 to G3000

In F5:F3000 it show the numeric value if the cell in the Column in F
it show the Numeric Value Depending upon the Colour or Shading.

Now Sort the Column F in Descending Order

If this helps you click =93Yes=94 if not Please provide the Attached file

Hardeep kanwar

I use an Excel add-in called ASAP Utilities. You should be able to find
it by searching the web.  It expands Excel's built in abilities,
including the ability to sort by color.

FISH wrote:
> I have a long list of items that I sort by either item number or date
> depending on what I'm looking for. From time to time these items status will
> change and I will gray them out by just shading the background of the cell
> gray.
>
> Is there a way I can sort these items by the background/shading of the cell
> first and then the secondary sort be date?
>
> So all the cells which contain gray shading will be first in the list
> (sorted by date if possible) then the rest of the list without the gray
> shading will follow by date as well.
>

> Thanks.

Font Sizing
I am visually impaired. I would like to increase font size in the IN-box window where the From: Subject: and Received: columns are listed. I have been able to increase font size to read the body of the e-mail and can compose e-mail with larger font - just would like to increase font size for the incoming message headers. Please write to me at: johnw@winserv.com if you can help. thank you in advance. John Depending on your version of Outlook, View->Current View->Customize Current View->Other Settings. You can customize the Fonts from there. --� Milly Staples [MVP...

auto sort?
Is there any way to make a dated entry insert itself in the worksheet in the correct order without doing a sort operation, or inserting a new row? would be a big help for my reservations workbook thanks D You could try the worksheet change event: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) <<Sort Code>> End Sub This should re-sort your selection everytime the worksheet changes. Hope this helps Sunil Jayakumar "Dave" <post@site.com> wrote in message news:%23czt38POFHA.2132@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Is there any way to make a dated entry insert ...

Joining text with a formula in cell #4

Changing font in Money 2004 register?

how to match the color of a button with its background?
Hi, I have a owner draw push button. I associate it with two bitmaps, one is down and the other is up. Is there a way to make the bitmaps's background color match the color of the window where the button is located. I manually choose the best matched color but still the result is not good. I can even see a white border line (not drawn by me) when the button is pushed. Please help. Thanks. Tony Check out http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/vcresed/html/_asug_choosing_an_opaque_or_transparent_background.asp May Young <tony@srac.com> wrote in message news:<408473...

Global Column Row Preview Font Size

Single click selects multiple cells

Non-VBA way of making custom menus.

Referencing cells across sheets

How to unlock locked cells by MACRO?!

Customer check data

Macro to seperate data

Need HELP! for Linking data

Unable to sort on customer CRM 4.0

sort by day of the week?
Excel 2002 I have 10 years of grain prices...one price for each trading day of th year. In 'A' we have the date, in 'B' the price. What I need to do i get a list of prices for Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, etc... Possible? (I really, really don't want to do this manually) Than -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com add a column = weekday(a1,1) etc and do a sort on this colum -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Thank you. You saved me 3 or 4 hours of excruciating data entry. Thi was the last step of a vital report. Now I can do my char...

Macro