Is there a way to sort a column without invoking a macro?

I am trying to get a feel for some probabilistic properties. For
example, I am trying to  look at the statistics of the intervals between
randomly occurring pulses. I have no problem getting a column of
uniformly distributed pulse times,  but they are unsorted, Every time I
recalculate with cmd-=, I get a new unsorted set of pulse times because
of the use of the RAND function.

Is there a way of taking this unsorted column and pasting it into
another colun that would be sorted without invoking a macro?

To simplify and be more specific consider the following.

1.  In A1:A100 I have a set of unsorted numbers.

2.  Is there a function using A1:A100 as the argument for placing the
sorted contents of A1:A100 into B1:B100 without using a macro?

Bill

--
Most people go to college to get their missing high school education.
0

Bill
    No.  The only other way to sort is manually.  Is there some overriding
reason why you don't want to use a macro?  HTH  Otto

In article <#viWWeG6JHA.5180@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
 "Otto Moehrbach" <moehrbachoextra@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>     No.  The only other way to sort is manually.  Is there some overriding
> reason why you don't want to use a macro?  HTH  Otto

It has been a while since I used macros. But as I stew about it, I think
I can define a macro function that will do the job. The macro function
is pasted into a cell just like a built-in function.

I only have a vague recollection of what what might be needed needed. I
think that the macro sheet can take an array as an argument. That array
can then be sorted within the macro sheet and then pasted where the
macro function is pasted in the original spreadsheet.

I need to do some studying.

Bill

--
Most people go to college to get their missing high school education.
0
SalmonEgg (56)

Vlookp up
Hi, I'm trying to combine a list of numbers, text and vlookup. In column A I have a list of numbers in descending order (1, 2, etc). In column B I have a list of text (syd, melb, adel etc). In column C I have a list numbers that relate to the cells in column B For example if syd is typed into column B2, column C2 is equal to th value 100 What I would like to do is be able to type text (syd, melb, adel etc into a cell, in column D, and have the value that corresponds to tha cell from column C be generated automatically underneath. So, from th example above I would type the text Syd i...

Line
I have a bunch of values in bar graph and I would like the overall average to run as a straight line across. How can I do that with just 1 average cell and not a bunch of cells to match against the other values. Thank you so much Yan ...

sorting alphanumeric #2
hello, I hope this problem I am having can be simply solved.... I need to sort all in one column the following sequence ( I use it for managing keys that are made. Subsequent keys are enumerated by adding the next sequential letter) ex: 101, 102,102a,102b,103 Current any sort I use sorts it this way :101, 102, 103, 102a, 102b What can I do to sort chronologically with the letters in the same column so the result looks like this: 101, 102,102a,102b,103 If I add a key to 101, it needs to sort this way: 101,101a,102,102a,102b,103 can any one help, thank you hi, Chronos ! > ... I hop...

The easiest way to get free cash! #2
<HTML> <HEAD> <META NAME="GENERATOR" Content="Microsoft DHTML Editing Control"> <TITLE></TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <P>Hi all,</P> <P>I became a member of an interesting free website that is totally unique. It actually rewards its members for learning! You can learn lots of important things and earn rewards taking fun quizzes, plus earn cash for other activities! Membership is free, and people of all ages and educational backgrounds everywhere can become members and participate at their own level. It�s called �It P...

Is there a way to Audit certian user's to see how long the are using MS-OUTLOOK.
I am currently running EXCHNAGE 2000 SP3 Some director's in my company would like me to monitor certain user's on how long they have MS-OUTLOOK open. Is there a way to do this? ...

how can I have a formula result based on multiple criteria/columns
I have an expenses sheet set up as follows: A/status B/date C/expense type D/amount 1 allowed 05/07/06 car £20.00 2 notallowed 05/07/06 car £450.00 3 notallowed 05/07/06 car £15.00 4 notallowed 05/07/06 car £26.00 5 allowed 05/07/06 post £20.00 6 allowed 05/07/06 post ...

match column length
This is something which I'm sure I found the answer to before, but have now forgotten! If I have a column of data on worksheet1, and it can cover an unknown number of rows. I want to mirror it on worksheet 2. I could just create a very long column of cell references on worksheet2, but I seem to remember some trick to avoid having a longer list on worksheet 2 than on worksheet 1. Can anyone help me? Instead of using a formula like: =Sheet1!A1 in you cells in Sheet2, use: =IF(Sheet1!A1="","",Sheet1!A1) and copy way down. Don't worry about the extra cells you are ...

Columns limit
In Excel 2003 I'm bumping up against a limit at Column IV, or 204 columns in a yearly stock pricing spreadsheet. I need one more column to do year-end sums. First, is there any way to get more columns? Second, why 204? I'm only doing entries for stock market trading days, so 204 is almost enough. But what if you want to record 365 daily entries? (Yeah, you can do it vertically but that's not the optimal way to display data like this.) TIA for any help. xl2003 and below have 256 columns. xl2007 has 16k columns. There's nothing you can do to xl2003...

Multi-Column Report
I have a 3-column report. The SID header (GroupHeader0) has Format properties as follows: Force New Page...None New Row Or Col...Before Section Keep Together......Yes Visible.................Yes Can Grow.............No Can Shrink...........No Repeat Section....Yes Depending on the value of SID header, I would like to forego making a new column, and just keep printing within the same column as the previous SID header (but include the new SID header value in that same column). Anyone know how to do this? ...

Help needed to run macro
Argh!!! I think I may have created a macro to resolve an earlier problem, but when I try to run it I get... 'Macros in this workbook are disabled because the security level is high, and the macros have not been digitally signed or verified. To run the macros, you can either have them signed or change your security level.' How can I get my macros to run on my machine, where they are created, without compromising security? I've found and run selfcert.exe but it hasn't made any difference. Do I need to do anything else to make this effective? I'm a novice at this so step ...

Problem Sorting
I continue to have problems when attempting to do a numbers descending sort, from a position where the data is in rows. No trouble with other sorts of this type, but in this particular sort, a six digit number is sorted behind a five digit number, perhaps because the first digit of the five digit number is larger, than the first digit of the six digit number. Or possibly because I have the dollar sign in front of my figures? All help welcome Thanks douglas Perhaps the numbers in that row look like numbers, but are being treated as text. You can use one of the techniques here to convert the...

How do I split a chart legend into 2 columns?
The legend in my chart has about 8 items and I cannot get them to split into two columns. The legend is subsequently very tall and has to go at the bottom of the chart as company standard so is making the chart look unprofessional. Can anybody help? Hi, The layout of items in the legend is automatically determined by the height and width of the legend box. You will need to make the legend width enough to display the legend entrys text for both columns. Move the legend over to the left and make it as wide as possible. This should then display columns, if it will fit. You can then reduc...

forward without attachment, possible? (exchange 2003)
an user is going to the trip and he likes to have all future emails forwarding to his home account. I setup and everything works fine; however, we are facing a problem now. his home email only has 5MB. is there any way I can setup forwarding email body only not attachment? thank you! bob yang wrote: > an user is going to the trip and he likes to have all future emails > forwarding to his home account. I setup and everything works fine; > however, we are facing a problem now. his home email only has 5MB. is > there any way I can setup forwarding email body only not attachment? >...

How to chart a single column of values similar to a GROUP BY
Hi I would like to create a chart of a column of non numeric values where the column label would be the value and the chart would reflect the number of occurences of the value in the column eg. brown blue blue brown brown this would produce two bars on the chart labled brown and blue with values of 3 and 2 respectively. It is the same as a GROUP BY function in SQL Any help is really appreciated. Thanks Paddy Assuming the list of colours are already entered in Range("A1:A100") then: 1. In cell B1 enter Blue 2. In cell B2 enter Brown 3. If there are more colours then cont...

how can I hide a column and keep it hidden
I would like to hide and keep hidden columns on a worksheet. The columns I would like to keep hidden are between other columns that may need to be expanded to fit the content. click on the column heading you want to expand first to select the whole columm, then make it bigger, that way it will not "un-hide" the hidden one next to it. "Roy" wrote: > I would like to hide and keep hidden columns on a worksheet. The columns I > would like to keep hidden are between other columns that may need to be > expanded to fit the content. ...

Creating a macro
I want to create a macro in Excel 2000 using one already written by someone else. but all I find are instructions to create one from scratch the normal keyboard/mouse way. Is there a more direct way to create and copy one in? The macro in question is here: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/unselect.htm. Thanks, Gene It's just like copying and pasting text: Open the VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) editor (how you do this may vary according to the particular version of Excel); in Excel 2003 this is done by selecting Tools menu, Macro command, select Visual Basic Editor from the pop-...

Macro? VBA? or easier?
Hi I have a range of cells C6:K6 which contains numbers from 3 to 9. In a second range C18:K18 I would like to have the following (if possible): If C6 = 3 then C18 = "X" otherwise if C6 > 3 then Insert a drop-down box with values "Yes" and "No". Can this be done? Sandy Sandy, You could use a macro. Try the code below. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP Sub SandyMacro() Dim myCell As Range For Each myCell In Range("C6:K6") With myCell.Offset(12) If myCell.Value = 3 Then .Validation.Delete .Value = "X" Else ...

Summing visible column values but not hidden column values
I need to write a SUM function that will add up the numbers in several columns of data (for example, A4:S4), but I only want it to add those columns that are visible, not those that are hidden. Is there any way to have Excel add only the numbers in the visible columns, not in any hidden columns? Thanks. Hi have you hiddent he columns manually?. If yes you'll need VBA -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "BW" <BW@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:CBAFDFDF-FFFD-4521-97EC-CD3941FD8686@microsoft.com... > I need to write a SUM function that ...

Change Data in columns but keep the formula can I do this?
Hello I have a three column table column A has a set of static figures, columns B & C have some static amounts and some figures that are uplifted by a set percentage, column B using the figures in column A and column C using the figures in Column B The information relalates to financial years and my boss says that in previous years they have just moved they have just deleted the information in column A and moved the information in columns B & C across but I cannot seem to get this to work. I have tried to cut and paste special keeping numbers and formats and all sorts of various co...

Macros #2
I find that macros are disabled in my Outlook 2003. How can I enable them or is that a bad idea? Thanks, CMA Tools-> Macro-> Security... To keep a certain level of security control you should never put it lower than medium unless when you are in a secure development environment. -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tips of the month: -Setting Permissions on a Mailbox -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "CMAR" <cm...

Can I SAVE AS while preserving hidden-nes of columns?
I have a spread sheet that I would like to turn into a text or Word document, but I want to preserve the hiddennes of the columns? But when I use SAVE AS to a Uniary Text type, .txt, all the columns are visible. I'm very surprised that I can't convert it to a Word document. Maybe I'm missing something somewhere? TIA LAS Copy the visible range to a temporary location (a temporary worksheet). (ctrl-g, special|visible cells only) Then copy from there and paste to MSWord. Laurel wrote: > > I have a spread sheet that I would like to turn into a text or Word &...

Attaching Macros to cells
Does anyone know If you can attach a VBA macro to a cell so that it runs when you enter out of the cell ...

how to create automatic macro with if statement or similar
How do I create a macro including if statement & automatically I need to create a worksheet where I can have a list of various data and if I change the value of one row and that is of a higher value than any other in this list , I need this row to jump to the top of the worksheet. This should then happen automatically, ie every time you enter a sum in the value column it should perform the if statetment automatically and check wether the top value cell has got a higher value than the sum I just typed in. Anyone got any ideas of how to do this? Personally, this would drive me ba...

Start a process in two different ways
Hi! I would say that when you start notepad using alternative 1 or 2 is identical. So in this case it's no point to use alternative 2 because alternative 1 is doing the exact same thing and with much less code. Does anyone agree with me ? 1. Process myProcess2 = Process.Start("notepad.exe"); 2. Process myProcess = new Process(); 2. ProcessStartInfo myProcessStartInfo = new ProcessStartInfo("notepad.exe"); 2. myProcess.StartInfo = myProcessStartInfo; 2. myProcess.Start(); //Tony Tony Johansson wrote: > Hi! > > I would say that w...

Password Protection for Macros?
Is there a way to protect a macro from being edited by others? Inside the VBE, Tools|VBAProject Properties|Protection Tab. Loretta Jean wrote: > > Is there a way to protect a macro from being edited by > others? -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...