Is there a way to rotate a column of data into a row of data?

Hi all,

Is there a way to rotate a column of data into a row of data, in Excell
2003?

Let's say B8 - B1000, there are so many of them... I want to rotate it into
a row form...

Thanks a lot!

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You'll need to explain the rules a little better....

You want to convert 992 vertical cells
into one row
.....but Excel 2003 only has 256 columns.

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"cfman" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there a way to rotate a column of data into a row of data, in Excell
> 2003?
>
> Let's say B8 - B1000, there are so many of them... I want to rotate it into
> a row form...
>
> Thanks a lot!

0
RonCoderre (135)
4/9/2007 7:54:00 PM
you can only have 256 entries in one row.
you would have to split it into several rows

"cfman" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there a way to rotate a column of data into a row of data, in Excell
> 2003?
>
> Let's say B8 - B1000, there are so many of them... I want to rotate it into
> a row form...
>
> Thanks a lot!

0
BJ (832)
4/9/2007 7:56:01 PM
sorry I mean one column only,

I want one column (selected) to be rotated into one row...

i.e.

Want:

be rotated into:

A   B  C  D  ...

"Ron Coderre" <RonCoderre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You'll need to explain the rules a little better....
>
> You want to convert 992 vertical cells
> into one row
> ....but Excel 2003 only has 256 columns.
>
> ***********
> Regards,
> Ron
>
> XL2002, WinXP
>

> "cfman" wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is there a way to rotate a column of data into a row of data, in Excell
>> 2003?
>>
>> Let's say B8 - B1000, there are so many of them... I want to rotate it
>> into
>> a row form...
>>
>> Thanks a lot!

Okay, let's say I have 10 cell in one column, selected, how to rotate into
10 cell in one row?

The numbers are arbitrary... I just want to know the method...

Otherwise I have to retype everything, that's troublesome...

"bj" <bj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> you can only have 256 entries in one row.
> you would have to split it into several rows
>
> "cfman" wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is there a way to rotate a column of data into a row of data, in Excell
>> 2003?
>>
>> Let's say B8 - B1000, there are so many of them... I want to rotate it
>> into
>> a row form...
>>
>> Thanks a lot!

Copy the range of 10 cells.

Select a cell out of the range and Edit>Paste Special>Transpose>OK>Esc.

As others have pointed out, the limit is 256 cells.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 13:10:02 -0700, "cfman" <comtech.usa@gmail.com> wrote:

>Okay, let's say I have 10 cell in one column, selected, how to rotate into
>10 cell in one row?
>
>The numbers are arbitrary... I just want to know the method...
>
>Otherwise I have to retype everything, that's troublesome...
>
>"bj" <bj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> you can only have 256 entries in one row.
>> you would have to split it into several rows
>>
>> "cfman" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Is there a way to rotate a column of data into a row of data, in Excell
>>> 2003?
>>>
>>> Let's say B8 - B1000, there are so many of them... I want to rotate it
>>> into
>>> a row form...
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot!

0
Gord
4/9/2007 8:15:15 PM
Hi

Copy the data, choose a destination cell>Paste Special.Transpose

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"cfman" <comtech.usa@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Okay, let's say I have 10 cell in one column, selected, how to rotate
> into 10 cell in one row?
>
> The numbers are arbitrary... I just want to know the method...
>
> Otherwise I have to retype everything, that's troublesome...
>
> "bj" <bj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> you can only have 256 entries in one row.
>> you would have to split it into several rows
>>
>> "cfman" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Is there a way to rotate a column of data into a row of data, in
>>> Excell
>>> 2003?
>>>
>>> Let's say B8 - B1000, there are so many of them... I want to rotate
>>> it into
>>> a row form...
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot!

0
roger5293 (1125)
4/9/2007 8:17:36 PM
Mon, 9 Apr 2007 12:46:28 -0700 from cfman <comtech.usa@gmail.com>:
> Is there a way to rotate a column of data into a row of data, in Excell
> 2003?

I don't know that program, but you can do it in Excel 2003. Check the
help for TRANSPOSE.

                                  http://OakRoadSystems.com/

if cell is text move left one column

Duplicate Rows
I have an extract from a student information system in Excel that looks like this. Student Class Grade Quarter John Chemistry 70 1 John Chemistry 80 2 John Math 95 1 John Math 100 2 Alice Chemistry 67 1 Alice Chemistry 47 2 Alice Math 88 1 Alice Math 85 2 What I would like is this: John 70 80 95 100 Alice 67 47 88 85 However, since there are hundreds of students, this would be an extreme pain to do by hand. Is there any built-in formula or function in Excel that can do this? What is it that you actually want to do? (The best approach depends on what your desired end r...

Add rows automatically? Accordion
Is there a way to automatically add/show rows that have data? I have a data entry sheet. Then I have a report. The report pulls data from the entry sheet. If there is no data for a specific line/row item, is there a way to automatically hide or not show the row(s) with no data? Thanks Thanks can I have more than one autofilter on a sheet? Sloth wrote: > Use the filter function > Select the data and click on... > Data->Filter->Autofilter > This should make an arrow appear at the top of the data (in the header row). > click the arror and select "Nonblanks"....

Data migration - Adventure Works

Sorting on Column headers
I have a spreedsheet that someone else created and I need to take the Column headers, which are in date form, and rearrange them in chronological order. Can this be done without cutting and pasting? I really need to save time with this project if possible. Thanks!:) --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ > I have a spreedsheet that someone else created and I need to take the > Column headers, which are in date form, and rearrange them in > chronological order. Can this be done without cutting and pasting? I > really need to save time with this project if possib...

Coloring a row
I have a spreadsheet and I want to have cells colored from column A to K if cell h is not blank. So if h3 has a date in it I want A3:K3 to be say light blue. This is for Office 2003. I can do it with conditional formating in 2007, but my work place doesn't have 2007. I did use column L and put an if statement to give a true or false in the cell depending on if the cell in col. h was empty or not. Any ideas how to get this to work? Hi John This sort of thing will work in 2003 conditional formating. In Cell A3 go to Format - conditional formattting. Formula is Paste...

Opening Multiple Web Links in a Column

Character Length in a column
I have a column where every cell must have 14 characters. Lets say have the name Angel. I need 9 more charcters. Next cell down have the word cake. I need 10 more charcters.How do I automatciall insert the spaces I need to have 14 charcters. HELP PLEASE!!!!! GOIN NUTS ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements One way: Do you care about what characters are added? I'l...

Freeze the side column/top row & scroll others
what is the function to set (lock in or freeze) the first column and / or top row of a spreadsheet, so the words and numbers remain in the same place as you scroll the other columns and rows. (so you can add more columns..yet keep the main information in the first column/row) Freeze Panes..... In older versions of Excel, it is under Window. In 2007 version of Excel, it is under View. You first select a cell, then activate the command. Excel uses the selected cell's upper left corner to define the freeze point. Play with it. You can also Unfreeze panes that were fro...

SQL Statement trying to call column not specified in statement
I'm having some trouble with a sql statement within my sub. For some reason, it wants to reference CLPROPSTRTNMBER when I specifically asked for CLPROPSTRTNMBR (which is the correct column name). The code is below. I cannot figure out why it's trying to pull this reference. Public Sub D2REDataCall() Call DBConnect sql = "SELECT CLMAILADDRESS,CLMAILCITY,CLMAILSTATE,CLMAILZIP,CLPROPSTRTNMBR,CLPROPSTREETADDR,CLPROPSTREETUNIT,CLPROPCITY,CLPROPSTATE,CLPROPZIP,CLPROPCOUNTY,CLCREDITREPORTDT,CLRATEEFFECTIVEDT,CLCLOSEDT,CLTOTALLOANAMT,CLINTERESTRATE,CLTILAPR,CLTERM FROM " & tblC...

how can you add more rows in excel 2000?
Is there a way to add more rows to excel's already 65536 rows? In other words can you expand excel to have more rows then it already has. Impossible, sorry. HTH. Best wishes Harald "Khody" <Khody@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding news:8A9B7CC9-6832-47D4-830C-7DE692D5616F@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to add more rows to excel's already 65536 rows? In other > words can you expand excel to have more rows then it already has. Unfortunately, you can't increase the number of rows. Versions 2002 and 2003 have the same limitation. tj "Kh...

combination clustered column and stacked bar chart
I have data concerning the repair turn-around for three products over several months. There are two components to the turn-around time for any item, i.e., actual labor time and wait time. I want to graph this as a clustered column, each cluster representing the data for a given month and each bar in a cluster representing one of the products. Now for the tricky part: I want each of the bars to be stacked showing the relationship between the actual labor time and the wait time. John, I don't know if I'm fully understanding what you want. Possibly these two examples can hel...

Source data, in Chart Menu, is grey and not accessible.
I set up a pivot table and designed a chart, saved and closed out of the workbook. Upon returning to work on this project, when selecting the chart menu to work with my source data, the source data is grey and not accessible. What might be causing this and can I correct it? It's a pivot chart. As soon as it's created, it's linked permanently to the pivot table, and you cannot change the source data. you cannot add more data that's not in the pivot table to the chart, nor can you remove data that is in the pivot table from the chart. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft...

Missing Data Options
I am trying to use Tools - Options - Chart. I want to use the "not Plotted" option. When I click on it my chart does not change. This happens after I've selected the chart and then trying to make these changes. What am I doing wrong? I want to create a chart that ignores missing data, and gives me a trend line based on the data I have. I've had my nose in my Excel "bible" but can't find the answer. I greatly appreciate any tips. Jim -- jimsmith888 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jimsmith888's Profile: http...

Extracting data and returing to colums.
I am about half way there, but I need some more help. These are web inquires that parsed out in the same colum and repeat th same way all down the page. I want to be able to use the fields as guidelines to pull the dat adjacent to it and sent to the new colum. In a way it is transposin all the data, but I need to pull all the first names of these peopl and have them align in the first colum. Same for Last name, business etc. So if the information that I have come across like this in th spreadsheet, I just want the customer infomation to move to th appropriate colums like the third example...

how do I convert Mozilla thunderbird data to outlook 2010?
Converted from an old Outlook to Mozilla Thunderbird years ago. Like new Outlook and would like to switch back. Can't seem to see a conversion utility -- Mishka I suspect you export from thunderbird to a format Outlook can import, eg csv (assuming pop mail) "Mishka" <Mishka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:509C3250-167B-4FFF-9E07-5E5A8C625AA8@microsoft.com... > Converted from an old Outlook to Mozilla Thunderbird years ago. Like new > Outlook and would like to switch back. Can't seem to see a conversion > utility > -- >...