Is it possible to highlight text?

I'd like to highlight just some of the text in a cell - not the entire
thing.

Thanks

0
boe_d (81)
2/6/2006 8:33:38 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Select the cell and in the edit bar you can then select (highlight)
some of the text with the mouse and format how you wish, eg bold,
different colour, different background colour, different font/font size
etc.

Hope this helps.

Pete

0
pashurst (2576)
2/6/2006 8:44:15 AM
This will NOT work in a formula. Works only if all text.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"Pete_UK" <pashurst@auditel.net> wrote in message
> Select the cell and in the edit bar you can then select (highlight)
> some of the text with the mouse and format how you wish, eg bold,
> different colour, different background colour, different font/font size
> etc.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Pete

0
dguillett1 (2487)
2/6/2006 2:19:56 PM
Thank you

"Pete_UK" <pashurst@auditel.net> wrote in message
> Select the cell and in the edit bar you can then select (highlight)
> some of the text with the mouse and format how you wish, eg bold,
> different colour, different background colour, different font/font size
> etc.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Pete

0
boe_d (81)
2/6/2006 3:44:56 PM
Thanks

"Don Guillett" <dguillett1@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> This will NOT work in a formula. Works only if all text.
>
> --
> Don Guillett
> SalesAid Software
> dguillett1@austin.rr.com
> "Pete_UK" <pashurst@auditel.net> wrote in message
>> Select the cell and in the edit bar you can then select (highlight)
>> some of the text with the mouse and format how you wish, eg bold,
>> different colour, different background colour, different font/font size
>> etc.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Pete

0
boe_d (81)
2/6/2006 3:45:03 PM
I know that it may be smacking me in the face but I don't see an option for
highlight - I am running Excel 2003 - I do see the cell fill and bold and
underline but nothing for text highlight.
"Boe" <boe_d@notspam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to highlight just some of the text in a cell - not the entire
> thing.
>
> Thanks

0
boe_d (81)
2/6/2006 3:48:28 PM
You can click anywhere in the edit bar and the cursor will be placed at
that point. Then you can hold the mouse button down while moving the
cursor, or you can hold <SHIFT> down while pressing the <arrow> keys
(more precise). Once you have higlighted the text you want in this way,
just click on the formatting features you wish (colour, bold etc).

Hope this helps.

Pete

0
pashurst (2576)
2/6/2006 4:37:00 PM
Ahh - I see why my question is not clear.  I want to format text as
HIGHLIGHTED - like the markers you used in college to bring attention to a
particular sentence or term.

> You can click anywhere in the edit bar and the cursor will be placed at
> that point. Then you can hold the mouse button down while moving the
> cursor, or you can hold <SHIFT> down while pressing the <arrow> keys
> (more precise). Once you have higlighted the text you want in this way,
> just click on the formatting features you wish (colour, bold etc).
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Pete

0
boe_d (81)
2/6/2006 5:11:36 PM
Well, you want something like a pale yellow or pale green background
colour. Select your portion of the text as described above, then select
the background colour you want for this part of the text. You might
want to set the foreground as bold to stand out more.

Pete

0
pashurst (2576)
2/6/2006 5:20:27 PM
How do I select the background color for that portion of the text?

> Well, you want something like a pale yellow or pale green background
> colour. Select your portion of the text as described above, then select
> the background colour you want for this part of the text. You might
> want to set the foreground as bold to stand out more.
>
> Pete

0
boe_d (81)
2/9/2006 7:39:08 AM
I've just tried to do it and discovered that Excel will not allow you
to change the background colour for a portion of the text - sorry for
misleading you. You can, however, change foreground colour and
bold/italic/underline effects etc, so you will have to emphasise your
partial text this way.

Hope this helps.

Pete

0
pashurst (2576)
2/9/2006 11:35:02 AM
At least I know why I was having such a hard time figuring out how to do it.

> I've just tried to do it and discovered that Excel will not allow you
> to change the background colour for a portion of the text - sorry for
> misleading you. You can, however, change foreground colour and
> bold/italic/underline effects etc, so you will have to emphasise your
> partial text this way.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Pete

0
boe_d (81)

Shapes used as selectors
I am using shapes with assigned macros as the selectors for my Sumproduct criteria. So I have rectangle shapes with each person's name on them and when I click on them they name is input into a criteria field on another page. It works well, but is there any way to have the shape highlight or change looks once I click on it so you can see which criteria has been selected? Thanks! ...

Autofit/Text Wrap
I have two sentences typed in a cell which has been formatted to autofit row height, and wrap text, and yet the cell will not adjust to two rows of typing, a total of 32 words, or a total of 146 characters including spaces. I don't think that's too much to type in a cell in Excel. Any ideas? One can only guess what the problem is. But I suspect the spreadsheet might be protected. >-----Original Message----- >I have two sentences typed in a cell which has been >formatted to autofit row height, and wrap text, and yet >the cell will not adjust to two rows of typing...

TEXT Function: please help
I have a sheet that keeps track of MAC to IP adresses. I've created a formula that will output the required format for DHCP server import. The formula was quite long and it was suggested to use the TEXT function . Thanks to Bob Phillips and my friend LavaDude my rather legthy formula has been reduced to the folowing, but it doesnt work correctly. =IF(D2="","","host"&L2&IF(C2="","",".")&IF(OR(B2="",B2>30,),"",B2&"-")&C2&"{ hardware ethernet "&TEXT(D2,"...

Counting text in a column
I used to think I was good at Excel until this stumped me. I have a column with a variety of text in each cell. Example: A1 bob bob ted ted ted charley charley charley charley, etc. Is there a formula or way I can take the whole column of data and hav it come back with something similar to: bob = 2 ted=3 charley=4 etc. for all the variables in the column? Please help, I am dying over here -- prom4 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- prom4x's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2901 View this thread: http://www...

Formatting text and date together
How can I format a cell to hold text ("Last update:") and a date whic is obtained from another cell? The Formula reads something like +"Las update: "&f2. The date comes out as its numerical value. Is it possible. Thank -- Brisbane Ro ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Brisbane Rob's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2509 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49227 Use the text function to format the numeric component to suit your needs, along the lines of ...

getting editbox text
Hello, Is there easy way to get address url entry from that edit box in IE? I can get current url displayed but don't know how to get what user type in before navigation. thanks ...

Problem when converting handwriting to text
Hi, I have a tablet, Motion Computing LE1700, with Windows 7 Professional 32 bits English. I installed Office 2007 and OneNote 2007 in Spanish. I take notes sometimes in English, sometimes in Spanish. I thought that OneNote could convert handwriting to text in English and Spanish but it is only working in English. When I try to convert handwriting in Spanish (choosing Spanish as main language) OneNote does nothing. No error, no messages, absolutely nothing. The same behavior happens with OneNote 2010 Beta Spanish. Is it correct? How could I convert Spanish handwriting to te...

Attn Publisher Users: Setting your Text Defaults!
Ok, wanna know how to save your text defaults for all future publications for Publisher 2002/2003. We have just discovered that you do NOT need the add-in that we developed. This feature has been there all along, since Publisher 2002 as a matter of fact. The Normal.pub feature (like the normal.dot feature in Microsoft Word) is actually present in these last two versions. Yes, it has been there all along! Thanks to Alex at Microsoft, as he was kind enough to point out after all these years that it truly does exist. I have created a tutorial, which is very simple: http://www.publishermvp...

highlighting text box if...
Is there a way to highlight a text box in a form if say, an expiration date is past due? If so, how? Thanks for the help, Scot -- Scot Rawlings Technical Trainer Comcast Auburn, WA Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200712/1 Never mind... I have tunnel vision right now. I figured it out. Thanks spcscooter wrote: >Is there a way to highlight a text box in a form if say, an expiration date >is past due? If so, how? > >Thanks for the help, > >Scot > -- Scot Rawlings Technical Trainer Comcast Auburn...

In Excel -- How do I cross out (strike through) text?
In Exel -- How do I cross out (strike through) text? Select the cell you want to format. Then, go to the Format menu, choose Cells, then the Font tab. There, check the "Strikethrough" checkbox. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "E.Walsh" <E.Walsh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6BD0B20E-DE93-4F5F-90F8-83CF908C622C@microsoft.com... > In Exel -- How do I cross out (strike through) text? ...

Sorting by Text field of numbers
I am using Access 2003. I have created a database to help me files by "Lot#'s". Our lot numbers for one of our products is all over the place so I created the Lot # field as a text field. Ex: 02-01-01, 10000272925, 10-06-02-04-06 and 1503011 A1-02. Why does access put - 1000272925 before 10-06-02-03-05? Does this look right to anyone? My thinking is that "10" comes before "1000272925". What affect does the "-" have in sorting the numbers. Would I be better off to put a space instead of the "-"? Can anyone help me ...

Yahoo text has multiple deletions since '08 Word was installed
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel I've probably made some basic error with installing Office: mac 2008. Since doing so, I can't read much of anything on Yahoo. Many letters are missing; some are squished together. Is there are a problem with font compatibility? I'd welcome any suggestions on how to fix the problem. Otherwise, I'll need to uninstall and try again, which I suppose is not a bad initial strategy. Please help. Simply shut the computer down, turn it off, then restart. When you restart, you force a rebuilt of the font caches, ...

Word 2007 Find/Highlight Function
In Word 2007, the Find function allows you to find and highlight words or phrases in a document. However, saving the document with those 'found' words highlighted does not save the highlighted text. Additionally, if searching for multiple different words in a document, when you search on a 2nd or subsequent word, the 1st or previous 'found' word highlight all disappear. This functionality was possible in Word 2003 and XP environment. Question: In Word 2007, is there a way to highlight and keep highlighted multiple word searches/highlighted words and save the do...

How do I prevent pictures form moving when adding text?
Right click the picture, format picture, Layout tab, Object position, change to exact. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Peggy" <Peggy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA35218F-D1FA-4691-B01E-3D50B2AF3FA9@microsoft.com... > Is there a way when inserting pictures and clipart of have them all wrap the way you want when you bring them in. Some option or setup or something for when you insert pictures? Everytime I insert pictures I need to change the wrap. "Mary Sauer" wrote: > Right click the picture, format picture, Layout t...

Change of text or background color doesn't change on the screen.
In Excel, whenever I change the color of the text or highlight a cell with a different background color, it's not being reflected on the screen. Any ideas? An idea, yes: may be the conditional format. If for example the cell is supposed to become red when the value is null, and the value is null, then it will stay while the condition is true. Even if you change the "regular" color (it will appear only when the condition is false) Under Options, View, Colour is Colour set to 'Automatic' ? Does this happen on any specific sheet or in all sheets, in an specific ...

Text over a picture
I am trying to put text over a picture. The picture is in place, then I put a text frame over it. The " fill" covers up the picture and I can't figure out how to make the text over the picture, but still see all the picture . It is a black and white picture and the letters are going over a black part so I was the text white so it shows up, but I can't figure out how to do it. Basically in the end I am trying to make the picture look like a watermark behind the text. Help! What format is the picture? The text box can be made transparent, select the box, ctrl + t. ...

Sort numbers with text in ascending order
I am having a difficult time sorting the following list: MY List How Excel Sorts I Need 2148-00 1472-00 171B-00 1480C-00 1480B-00 171C-00 1480B-00 1480C-00 1472-00 1472-00 171B-00 2148-00 171C-00 171C-00 1480B-00 171B-00 2148-00 1480C-00 I have tried formatting numbers as text and other options. I am at my wits end now. Is this sort even possible? Please help. Tania TVOUK Where is the logic to your sort please? If you can identify that then a sort may be possible! ...

outlook express cant see message body text
I can see the list of messages, for example in the inbox with "from", "subject", received, etc but if I open any of the messages the body of the message is blank. If I do a save-as to a text file I can open the file with notepad and see the message text. Any ideas? ...

Locking a Text Box
Hi all, hope someone can help with a text box locking problem. I need to lock a text box on a switchboard so that it can not be deleted by someone else. I am designing a database for a friend's work but want my name and address in a text box as the designer on the switchboard to remain. I know that my friend will make changes and there is little I can do, but I don't want my name and phone number deleted from the switchboard. Is there anything that I can do. Thank you for any help you can give. Maurita Searcy I'm afraid there is no way to allow someone to change some aspects...

Highlighting text problem!!!
In Publisher 2003 when you highlight a piece of text it always auto highlights the end of paragraph symbol. This is a pain as when you try to alter things like the kerning, the end of paragraph symbol is included and gives an uneven stretch. We have initially got around the problem by physically putting in a space after the text so you can then only highlight the text and the end of paragraph symbol is not auto highlighted. Surely there must be a better way to get around this problem (please don't suggest better mouse control) which only seems to effect 2003, all other versions are ...

Get space between a checkbox and text in a CButton with BS_AUTOCHECKBOX
Hi, I have created a CButton with BS_AUTOCHECKBOX style and I would like to be able to resize my control to fit the text. So I know how to calculate the text width but how can I know the space taken by the checkbox + the space bewteen the checkbox and my text ? THe way I solved this was to create, on my dialog, a button which had no characters in it, just the space. This was a hidden, disabled control. Then I used this to get both the height and the width I needed for the basic button and added to the width the GetTextExtent value. This is the safest way to create buttons, because you c...

IF or SUMIF to bring back text?
I am trying to match departments which have two different titles. For example, there are 50 departments that are futher classified into 150 sub-departments. I do have the data showing departments and their corresponding sub-departments in two columns. On another sheet there are only sub-departments and I need to assign the corresponding department name. I have tried IF and SumIf but neither works. Basically, I need a formula to match the text and bring back the text for the sub-department. Thank you. sounds like you need VLOOKUP "Valerie" wrote: > I am...

Pasteing In text into a current text box
When I cut text from a website and attempt to paste it into a current text box, Publisher 2003 defaults to create a new text box instead of inserting it into the preexisting one. How can I fixt this? Firstly you do not say which version of Publisher you are using. Secondly when you copy a webpage you are copying HTML. Use menu EDIT > Paste Special > Unformatted Text or paste into Notepad which will remove all the formatting and then re-copy and paste into Publisher. "��MS-Publisher��" wrote: > Firstly you do not say which version of Publisher you are using. ========...

formatting a date in a text field
I need to format a date that is in a text field - ex. 20081108 needs to be 11/08/2008 - how do I do this? p.s. I cannot change the field from a text to a date - it deletes all the info First, to change the text field to a date format: Format(DateSerial(Left([DateField],4),Mid([DateField],5,2),Right([DateField],2),"mm/dd/yyyy") It would probably be best to change the field to date type for programming and reporting down the line. To do this (first backup your data) then add a new field to your table (with a type of date). Do an update query to populate the new field with an ...

Exporting to a text file
How to export an Access query to a text file without the column heading? The query consists of single column and is used to import to an accounting system. Thanks. Cannot be done with the built-in TransferText action / method. You'd need to open a text file via VBA code and write the query's records (one at a time) into that file. If interested, post back and I'll provide some sample code. -- Ken Snell <MS ACCESS MVP> "Paul" <paul_mak@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:O$MxJCPlHHA.1244@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > How to export an Access quer...