inserting a hard return with replace in a cell

Is there a way to insert a hard return or line break using the replace
function in a cell?
Thanks
brent

0
sagemaster (106)
3/19/2007 10:03:35 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Use char(10) in your =replace() function.

(and remember to turn wraptext on)

--

Dave Peterson
0
> Use char(10) in your =replace() function.
>
> (and remember to turn wraptext on)
>

> Brent wrote:
>>
>> Is there a way to insert a hard return or line break using the replace
>> function in a cell?
>> Thanks
>> brent
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
sagemaster (106)

Cell Color change
How do I get a cell to change color automatically? The cell already calculates a SUM, but I also need it to look at a range of cells and if its value is > than the rest, chang color. To -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You could use conditional format. Go to Format > Conditional format and then select formula. and the select format, there you can chose the color of the cell yoou what whe the criteria in the formula is meet -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Look at CF http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat01.html Post back if you need help -- ...

Merge Cells, but keep backgrounds
In excell 2003 is there a way to merge cells so the text spans them all, but keep the current background of the cells (which are not all the same color)? No Try Center Across Selection and avoid merged cells whenever possible. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 30 May 2009 09:16:12 -0700 (PDT), "dan@danirwin.net" <dan@danirwin.net> wrote: >In excell 2003 is there a way to merge cells so the text spans them >all, but keep the current background of the cells (which are not all >the same color)? Is there a way to center across selection vertically or just horizonta...

Any reason CurrentDb.TableDefs(0).Connect returns empty sting in Access 2007?
I use the function below to return the server or database name for various uses. However, now that we've switched to 2007 the line CurrentDb.TableDefs(0).Connect which used to return the connection string is returning an empty string. Any ideas? Thanks, Jeremy Function GetConnectionProperty(ServerOrDatabase As String) As String ' Returns name of connected server if "Server" passed in. ' Retuns name of connected Database if "Database" passed in. Dim sConnectionString As String Dim aConnectionPieces() As String Dim sConnectionPiece As String Dim i As ...

Data Entry to a Cell Range
Can I set up a data entry form, so if every time I enter a value in a cell, it updates the next empty cell in a range? Thanks Lets assume that the form is used to update cell A1. We require that everytime A1 is updated the new value will be recorded in column B. Put the following event macro in the worksheet code area: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim A1 As Range, t As Range Set A1 = Range("A1") Set t = Target If Intersect(A1, t) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub Application.EnableEvents = False n = Cells(Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).Row...

finding a cell from numerical coordinates #2
is it possible to locate a cell from coordinates such as 50, 75 or 100,98? I'd really like to be able to do this. No need to post the question twice so soon. In 2007 press Alt+1, Formulas tab and check R1C1 reference style -- If this helps, please click the Yes button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire "Chip" wrote: > is it possible to locate a cell from coordinates such as 50, 75 or 100,98? > I'd really like to be able to do this. Hi, In 2007 press Alt+1, Formulas tab and check R1C1 reference style -- If this helps, please click the Yes button. Cheers, Shane Dev...

How set totals of various cells with per colour fill value?
I have a sheet containing values as follows. April May June company 1 43 company 2 5 company 3 17 The cell values are also coured to indice a status. Somewhere beside the table I want to mention the totals of the cells, per status (so per colour). How to perform the latter? Thank you. Bart Excell 2003 See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html for a working solution -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove xxx from email address if mailing direct) "AA Arens" <bartvandongen@gmail.com> wrote in mes...

Replace Lost Payroll Check
What is the best way to replace a lost payroll check? Payroll Taxes from original check have already been paid in previous quarter. Barry ------=_NextPart_0001_AB64D0D8 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello Barry Thank you for using news groups! The check would need to be voided, then a new check issued through the normal Build/calculate/print checks process. When you void the check I would take notice of the void date. For example if you void the check on todays date (04/25/2008) it will back out all the wages, taxes, ect as of that date. If you then re-...

##### in a cell?
While using excel what does ##### mean in a cell? Usually a number that does not fit in a cell, maybe a date (try to adjust column width) a negative time (A1-A2 where A1 holds 09:00 and A2 10:00) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "Tyler" <Tyler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9EA40C2B-1E45-4CDE-81A8-D40794F381B8@microsoft.com... > While using excel what does ##### mean in a cell? On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 19:23:02 -0700, "Tyler" <Tyler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >While using excel what does ##### mean in a ce...

Hard return in wraptext cell?
Is there a way to place a hard return(carriage return) in a cell with wrap text format so as to align text in the way user wants rather than what excel places? Thanks Mark Sure. Where you want a new line just press Alt+Enter. To remove that just place the cursor at the end of the line before the new line and press Delete Tyro "MP" <NoSpam@Thanks.com> wrote in message news:OAFfO3vVIHA.4880@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to place a hard return(carriage return) in a cell with wrap > text format > so as to align text in the way user wants rather than wh...

Adding cells with a particular comment
Hi all, is there any simple to add all cells in a row which have a particular comment without using macro. pls help. Regards, NC HI, Use the SumIF function -- anurag. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- anurag.d's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=895 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31476 well i can use it for particular values but how to use it with comments. My problem is a particular comment for e.g "reject" or "accept" ia added to that cell, & ...

Highlighting a cell
I would like to highlight a cell for data entry, but I do not want the color to print. Is there a way to acheive this in Excel 2000. Thanks Sandi <File>, <PageSetup>, <Sheet>tab, Under Print, check the "Black & White" box. HTH, RD ==================================================== Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so that all may benefit! ==================================================== "Sandi" <ssteines@abprocess.com> wrote in message news:00c601c376eb$2b9a9910$a301280a@phx.gbl... I would like to highlight a ce...

outline won't number after hitting return
I've set up the document per Shauna Kelly's instructions, but can't figure out why it won't continue to number the outline. It'll give me Heading 1, but when I hit return it goes back to "normal". What in the world am I doing wrong? You would need to modify the Heading 1 style so that it is followed by Heading 1 style (though that is not what would normally be wanted as a heading is normally followed by some text. -- Hope this helps, Doug Robbins - Word MVP Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services on a pai...

in MS EXCLE how we can protect only one cell?
plz do repl me soon Hi First select all of the cells in the Sheet>Format>Cells>Protection>remove the check mark form Locked. Next select the single cell you want to be locked>Format>Cells>protection>check Locked. Tools>Protection>Protect Sheet (optionally provide a password - remember to write it down somewhere of you do) -- Regards Roger Govier anu khan wrote: > plz do repl me soon EXCEL 2007 This assumes that you wish to protect cells D 83 to D 85. If you wish to protect just one cell replace D 83 to D 85 (below) with the cell ...

Selecting Cells with Shift Key
When I am selecting cells in Excell, I use the shift key and the arrows on my keyboard. If I pause at all, the selection is lost when I continue with the selection. Why? Can anyone help me? If you have removed your finger from the shift key then Windows will think you are starting a new selection. Just be sure that you don't touch the arrows without the shift being held down. LWhite "Jaymndad" <Jaymndad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:961E850D-AFAD-444C-AB81-F4A609BCB3BA@microsoft.com... > When I am selecting cells in Excell, I use the shift key...

Control+Z was Undo, now Shrink. How to return to enlarged view?
"Control+Z" used to be Undo, now became shortcut for Shrink. How to return to enlarged view of my email text body, pls? Thank you. Gary garyfan@hughes.net This doesn't sound like an Outlook issue...sounds like another program is hijacking the traditional Windows shortcut keys. See if you can figure out which one...likely one you installed around the time this started happening. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** "Gary Fan&qu...

Getting the "name=" (bit, picklist) value that is returned from SOAP
Hi all, I am getting several fields via a Web service request in javascript in an OnChange event to poulate other field on a case. One of those fields is a bit, and one is a picklist. Those nodes in the response come back with <attribute="new_active" name="true">1</attribute> for the bit field and <attribute="status" name="On Hold">3</attribute> How can I read the name value? I've tried selectSingleNode("//status").name with no luck. Thanks! I am doing a similar process, using a SOAP response message. I ge...

Page Breaks on cells
It pops up with putting a page break for every cell then when I am trying to reset them it tells me margins do fit and that it would take it to less than 10% minumum if I try to move them. Jo - Did you ever get an answer to this? I am having the same problem, and it is on a 30-tab workbook that I can't just re-created. I'm getting a page for every cell when I move the page breaks and they used to be fine! Help! :) "Jo Pratt" wrote: > It pops up with putting a page break for every cell then > when I am trying to reset them it tells me margins do fit > and...

"Find and Replace" in Sheet names
Is there a way (with code perhaps) to search and replace sheet names? For example, I have 20 sheet names with "Direct (2)" in the name, and I'ld like to replace teh "Direct (2)" in the sheet name to "Net" in each instance. Thanks, Jim One way: Public Sub Direct2ToNet() Const sRepl As String = "Direct (2)" Dim ws As Worksheet Dim nPos On Error Resume Next For Each ws In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets With ws If .Name Like "*" & sRepl & "*" Then _ ...

Negative Cell Format
I would like to know if a cell can be fomatted negative so that any subsequent entry appears as a negative number with out having to enter the minus sign. If you only want it to "appear" to be negative: Format/Cells/Number/Custom -General;-General;0;@ Note that positive values displayed with the leading minus sign will not be treated as negative in calculations. If you want to have the values automatically be negative, try this event macro (right-click the worksheet tab and choose View Code): Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) With Ta...

date in a text cell
I need to show my date as 06-Dec-2005 in a text cell. Is it possible to have a regular date format in a text cell. Thanks If you format the cell as Text, then you'll have to type in what you want--exactly the way you want to see it. If you don't format it as text, you could type the date in anyway that's a date, then use a custom format of: dd-mmm-yyyy (format|cells|number tab|custom category) Dajana wrote: > > I need to show my date as 06-Dec-2005 in a text cell. Is it possible to have > a regular date format in a text cell. > > Thanks -- Dave Peterso...

Upgrade from Win ME to XP replace Outlook 2000 mail
I've upgraded from Win ME to XP home, and beforehand I saved the files from Windows/application data, etc., to a file folder. Now that I haave XP up and running, Office and Outlook installed, I can't find the file folder to replace the files to access the archieved and late mail? Can someone help me fine the folder to replace the files? thank you Very Much! ...

make cell show blank when total is zero
Here is my formula: =COUNTIF(OFFSET('Daily MP'!$A:$A,0,MATCH(H$3,'Daily MP'!$5:$5,0)-1),"*" & $B8 & "*") When the total is zero, how do I show the cell as blank instead of having a 0 show in the cell? Hi you could use a custom format such as 0.0;-0.0; -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "jtinne" <jtinne@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:0B58C97D-34AF-43FA-AFB7-51C90ABD3363@microsoft.com... > Here is my formula: > =COUNTIF(OFFSET('Daily MP'!$A:$A,0,MATCH(H$3,'Daily MP'!$5:$5,0)-1),&...

Hiding Returned Value of hlookup
Okay, this is a tough one... (At least for me) I'm using the hlookup formula to import the starting times and ending times of employees on a daily assignment sheet. I'm compiling all the times onto a weekly schedule where each individual's hours for the week are added up. Now, I've done all this, but I get #NA when a particular employee is not on a certain day. I'm currently using IF and ISERROR to convert the #NA to "0", which allows the sheet to properly add up the hours being used by each employee. Now, I need to be able to hide the zeros so I can pri...

Inserting an Adobe Illustrator logo into Publisher 2007?
A graphic designer sent me a logo in .ai (Adobe Illustrator) format. When I go to Insert > Object, it inserts something with the filename on it, but not the logo itself. I absolutely cannot get this figured out. How do I get this logo displayed correctly in my document? Thanks. Do you have Illustrator on your computer? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "MadDog" <MadDog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EFA63883-D066-4A1F-8E08-3B5E498B613F@microsoft.com... >A graphic desig...

Cell combination
Hi, I am new and have a question How do I combine data in C1= G23, C2=A56, C3= F78 into D7=G23,A56,F78 Thanks Vincen -- vhopvist ----------------------------------------------------------------------- vhopvista's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1513 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26769 Vincent Depends upon the nature of the data. If Numeric in D7 enter =G23 + A56 + F78 or =SUM(G23,A56,F78) If Text =G23 & A56 & F78 Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 12:48:27 -0500, vhopvista <vhop...