Inserting A Blank Line, Again

Below is an example of text data imported into Excel.

Would it be possible to insert a blank line between the different races
times as displayed below?  Again, the data varies.

The data is imported into A2.  There is other data in columns B & C.

I am able to sort the times with the help of Pete (UK).

1:40Newton Abbot
1:40Newton Abbot
1:40Newton Abbot
1:40Newton Abbot
1:40Newton Abbot
1:40Newton Abbot
1:40Newton Abbot
1:40Newton Abbot
1:40Newton Abbot
1:40Newton Abbot
2:05Kempton
2:05Kempton
2:05Kempton
2:05Kempton
2:05Kempton
2:05Kempton
2:05Kempton
2:05Kempton
2:10Newton Abbot
2:10Newton Abbot
2:10Newton Abbot
2:10Newton Abbot
2:10Newton Abbot
2:10Newton Abbot
2:10Newton Abbot
2:10Newton Abbot
2:10Newton Abbot
2:10Newton Abbot
2:20Carlisle
2:20Carlisle
2:20Carlisle
2:20Carlisle
2:20Carlisle
2:20Carlisle
2:20Carlisle
2:20Carlisle
2:25Haydock
2:25Haydock
2:25Haydock
2:25Haydock

====================

1:40Newton Abbot
1:40Newton Abbot
1:40Newton Abbot
1:40Newton Abbot
1:40Newton Abbot
1:40Newton Abbot
1:40Newton Abbot
1:40Newton Abbot
1:40Newton Abbot
1:40Newton Abbot

2:05Kempton
2:05Kempton
2:05Kempton
2:05Kempton
2:05Kempton
2:05Kempton
2:05Kempton
2:05Kempton

2:10Newton Abbot
2:10Newton Abbot
2:10Newton Abbot
2:10Newton Abbot
2:10Newton Abbot
2:10Newton Abbot
2:10Newton Abbot
2:10Newton Abbot
2:10Newton Abbot
2:10Newton Abbot

2:20Carlisle
2:20Carlisle
2:20Carlisle
2:20Carlisle
2:20Carlisle
2:20Carlisle
2:20Carlisle
2:20Carlisle

2:25Haydock
2:25Haydock
2:25Haydock
2:25Haydock
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi John

This code will do it for you.

Sub InsertRows()
    Dim lrow As Long, i As Long
    lrow = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row

    For i = lrow To 2 Step -1
        If Cells(i, 1) <> Cells(i - 1, 1) Then
            Rows(i).Insert
        End If
    Next i
End Sub

Copy the Code above
Alt+F11 to invoke the VB Editor
Insert>Module
Paste code into white pane that appears
Alt+F11 to return to Excel

To use
Alt+F8 to bring up Macros
Highlight the macro name
Run

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Saxman" <john.h.williamsremovethis@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Below is an example of text data imported into Excel.
>
> Would it be possible to insert a blank line between the different races
> times as displayed below?  Again, the data varies.
>
> The data is imported into A2.  There is other data in columns B & C.
>
> I am able to sort the times with the help of Pete (UK).

> [...]

0
Roger
4/11/2009 4:19:39 PM
Sub insertrows2()
For i = Cells(Rows.Count, "a").End(xlUp).Row To 2 Step -1
   'If IsNumeric(Left(Cells(i, 1), 1)) Then Rows(i).Insert
If Cells(i - 1, 1) <> Cells(i, 1) Then Rows(i).Insert
Next i
End Sub

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
"Saxman" <john.h.williamsremovethis@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Below is an example of text data imported into Excel.
>
> Would it be possible to insert a blank line between the different races
> times as displayed below?  Again, the data varies.
>
> The data is imported into A2.  There is other data in columns B & C.
>
> I am able to sort the times with the help of Pete (UK).

> [...]

0
dguillett1 (2487)
4/11/2009 4:20:24 PM
Roger Govier wrote:
> Hi John
>
> This code will do it for you.
>
> Sub InsertRows()
>    Dim lrow As Long, i As Long
>    lrow = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
>
>    For i = lrow To 2 Step -1
>        If Cells(i, 1) <> Cells(i - 1, 1) Then
>            Rows(i).Insert
>        End If
>    Next i
> End Sub

They both do it for me.  Thanks guys, but I would like to try the code
on fresh data in the next few days.

John (UK)
Couldn't you just copy a row of blank cells and then highlight the row below
where you wanted to insert, then click insert>insert copied cells> then it
would ask you what you want to do and you would click select "shift cells
down". Or did I miss something here.

"Don Guillett" <dguillett1@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> Sub insertrows2()
> For i = Cells(Rows.Count, "a").End(xlUp).Row To 2 Step -1
>   'If IsNumeric(Left(Cells(i, 1), 1)) Then Rows(i).Insert
> If Cells(i - 1, 1) <> Cells(i, 1) Then Rows(i).Insert
> Next i
> End Sub
>
> --
> Don Guillett
> Microsoft MVP Excel
> SalesAid Software
> dguillett1@austin.rr.com
> "Saxman" <john.h.williamsremovethis@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Below is an example of text data imported into Excel.
>>
>> Would it be possible to insert a blank line between the different races
>> times as displayed below?  Again, the data varies.
>>
>> The data is imported into A2.  There is other data in columns B & C.
>>
>> I am able to sort the times with the help of Pete (UK).

> [...]

0
glsams (1)
4/11/2009 8:03:39 PM
You could do that but if you had a host of cells in column A automation
makes it much easier.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 15:03:39 -0500, "Glsams" <glsams@comcast.net> wrote:

>Couldn't you just copy a row of blank cells and then highlight the row below
>where you wanted to insert, then click insert>insert copied cells> then it
>would ask you what you want to do and you would click select "shift cells
>down". Or did I miss something here.
>

>"Don Guillett" <dguillett1@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Sub insertrows2()
>> For i = Cells(Rows.Count, "a").End(xlUp).Row To 2 Step -1
>>   'If IsNumeric(Left(Cells(i, 1), 1)) Then Rows(i).Insert
>> If Cells(i - 1, 1) <> Cells(i, 1) Then Rows(i).Insert
>> Next i
>> End Sub
>>
>> --
>> Don Guillett
>> Microsoft MVP Excel
>> SalesAid Software
>> dguillett1@austin.rr.com
>> "Saxman" <john.h.williamsremovethis@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>> Below is an example of text data imported into Excel.
>>>
>>> Would it be possible to insert a blank line between the different races
>>> times as displayed below?  Again, the data varies.
>>>
>>> The data is imported into A2.  There is other data in columns B & C.
>>>
>>> I am able to sort the times with the help of Pete (UK).
>>>
>>> 1:40Newton Abbot
>>> 1:40Newton Abbot
>>> 1:40Newton Abbot
>>> 1:40Newton Abbot
>>> 1:40Newton Abbot
>>> 1:40Newton Abbot
>>> 1:40Newton Abbot
>>> 1:40Newton Abbot
>>> 1:40Newton Abbot
>>> 1:40Newton Abbot
>>> 2:05Kempton
>>> 2:05Kempton
>>> 2:05Kempton
>>> 2:05Kempton
>>> 2:05Kempton
>>> 2:05Kempton
>>> 2:05Kempton
>>> 2:05Kempton
>>> 2:10Newton Abbot
>>> 2:10Newton Abbot
>>> 2:10Newton Abbot
>>> 2:10Newton Abbot
>>> 2:10Newton Abbot
>>> 2:10Newton Abbot
>>> 2:10Newton Abbot
>>> 2:10Newton Abbot
>>> 2:10Newton Abbot
>>> 2:10Newton Abbot
>>> 2:20Carlisle
>>> 2:20Carlisle
>>> 2:20Carlisle
>>> 2:20Carlisle
>>> 2:20Carlisle
>>> 2:20Carlisle
>>> 2:20Carlisle
>>> 2:20Carlisle
>>> 2:25Haydock
>>> 2:25Haydock
>>> 2:25Haydock
>>> 2:25Haydock
>>>
>>> ====================
>>>
>>> 1:40Newton Abbot
>>> 1:40Newton Abbot
>>> 1:40Newton Abbot
>>> 1:40Newton Abbot
>>> 1:40Newton Abbot
>>> 1:40Newton Abbot
>>> 1:40Newton Abbot
>>> 1:40Newton Abbot
>>> 1:40Newton Abbot
>>> 1:40Newton Abbot
>>>
>>> 2:05Kempton
>>> 2:05Kempton
>>> 2:05Kempton
>>> 2:05Kempton
>>> 2:05Kempton
>>> 2:05Kempton
>>> 2:05Kempton
>>> 2:05Kempton
>>>
>>> 2:10Newton Abbot
>>> 2:10Newton Abbot
>>> 2:10Newton Abbot
>>> 2:10Newton Abbot
>>> 2:10Newton Abbot
>>> 2:10Newton Abbot
>>> 2:10Newton Abbot
>>> 2:10Newton Abbot
>>> 2:10Newton Abbot
>>> 2:10Newton Abbot
>>>
>>> 2:20Carlisle
>>> 2:20Carlisle
>>> 2:20Carlisle
>>> 2:20Carlisle
>>> 2:20Carlisle
>>> 2:20Carlisle
>>> 2:20Carlisle
>>> 2:20Carlisle
>>>
>>> 2:25Haydock
>>> 2:25Haydock
>>> 2:25Haydock
>>> 2:25Haydock

0
Gord

Fixed Asset Import
I am trying to import Fixed Asset records using Integration Manager 10.0 and I am running into the following error message: Description = The UpdateIfExists parameter is set to 0 and you are attempting to integrate a record that already exists in the FA00100 table I would like to be able to update. Does anyone know how I can change this to allow for insert and update functionality? Unfortunately the eConnect Requester setup tool does not have that table as an option to update. Thanks, Craig Craig: I don't use integration manager so I apologize if this is diffferent but I do use ...

inserting columsns variable range
hello all, i have a spreadsheet that is variable in range (number of columns can vary). i would like to create a macro that for each column in the worksheet, two new columns would be inserted to the left. i thought this would work, but i am running into problems... LastColumn = Cells.Find(What:="*", After:=[A1], _ SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, _ SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Column LC = LastColumn For i = 2 To LC If Cells(5, i + 1) <> "" Then Cells(5, i).Select Selection.EntireColumn.Insert ...

Picture inserted from file cannot be aligned

Leader Lines in Excel?
Does anyone know if it is possible to create Leader Lines in an Excel worksheet, like the way you can in Word (using Tab Stops)?? Thanks. It depends what you're trying to do, but some variation on the following may help: 1. Enter a value in A2, and the other value in C2. 2. In cell B2, type the character you want as the leader, e.g. a period. 3. With B2 selected, choose Format>Cells. 4. On the Alignment tab, under Horizontal, choose Fill 5. Click OK Steve wrote: > Does anyone know if it is possible to create Leader Lines > in an Excel worksheet, like the way you can in Wo...

How to open a blank form for adding a new record
Hello, I have a form for adding/viewing employee records. I can open the form, view records and using the navigation button, add a new record just fine. However, I'd like to open the form using a command button so that all fields are blank and a new record can immediately been added without having to use the navigation button. Can anyone help me figure out how to do this? TIA, Rich On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 13:20:02 -0800, rich wrote: > Hello, > > I have a form for adding/viewing employee records. I can open the form, > view records and using the navigation button, add a...

Insert blank rows
Rather than using the control button to select every other row, which can be very time consuming when you have more than 100 rows, I am trying to figure out how to auto-insert blank rows between pre-populated rows of information. Deb, Try this macro. ALT+F11 to open VB editor. Right click 'ThisWorkbook' and insert module and paste the code in on the right . Change the sheet name to your sheet and run the code Sub insert_rows() Dim ws As Worksheet, x as long Set ws = Sheets("Sheet3") lastrow = ws.Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row For x = ...

Picture missing and unable to re-insert?
Hi. I've been putting together a powerpoint 2003 slideshow purely with images for use in a theatre production (projections). All was fine and I had been fine tuning the presentation however this morning I found that the presentation had dropped an image from the slideshow. Powerpoint will not let me insert this image again and if I try it on a new slide or even a new presentation the image will not insert. I can view the JPEG image on many microsoft programs and I had been viewing it with no problems before this morning. Very frustrating. Any help would be great. Thanks. Kier...

Insert row, table to table
Hi, As I cannot use INSERT INTO with values specified to WHERE. I have created an interim temporary table where the record contains two text strings.Now I want to be able to take those text strings and append to the correct table where the record is set by an ID number. First_Name = Fred Last_Name = Jones Its a new contact so it is too be added to a customer with an ID = 1375 Now I can't use the following sql statement strsql = "INSERT INTO [tblCUSTCONTACTS] ( [FIRST_NAME], [LAST_NAME] ) " _ & " VALUES (""" & strFirst & "&...

inserting/merging pages
Trying to find out how I can add (2) 5.5W X 8.5H pages on 1 file with (2) 8.5W X 8.5H pages on a different file? All have the same background. I can not insert new page from page 2 that is 8.5X8.5 because it will be the same size and it does not let me make changes in page setup. Hence the reason I created pages 3 & 4 in a new file. ...

insert 'x' number of rows in excel
Hi, I'm looking to insert 'x' no. of rows into an excel document where 'x' is the result of a 'countA' function. Is this possible? Hi# only possible with VBA. Would this be feasible for you? >-----Original Message----- >Hi, >I'm looking to insert 'x' no. of rows into an excel document where 'x' is >the result of a 'countA' function. > >Is this possible? >. > Yes VBA is feasible "Frank Kabel" wrote: > Hi# > only possible with VBA. Would this be feasible for you? > > >-----Original ...

Insert a row based on a macro
Is there a way to insert a row based on a formula. For example, If A5=25, I then want to duplicate the existing row and insert it in the line below. See answers in your other post. Pls don't multi post -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Mindie" <Mindie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:75A1DDD5-6334-410D-8646-091B43D1B198@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to insert a row based on a formula. For example, If A5=25, I > then want to duplicate the existing row and insert it in the line below. ...

multi-line cells
Hi, I need to be able to put some multi-line data into single cells in an excel spreadsheed. In particular, I want to put in the full address of clients without putting the address parts in a group of cells. I want to be able to write the address just as I would on an envelope. I can't seem to get excell to take the carriage return character in a single cell's input. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance, Steve Steve, press ALT-ENTER to put in a line break. Bob Flanagan Macro Systems http://www.add-ins.com Productivity add-ins and downloadable books on VB macros for Excel &quo...

Offset, sum down to the first blank row
can anyone write the formula to sum down to the first blank row it encounters? In the sample data below I want the xx to sum only to 60 Assume the word sum is in cell A1 and the xx is in cell B1. sum xx Blue 10 Black 20 Red 30 Red 20 black 40 thanks much. p.s. would this formula be considered "volatile" and therefore "risky"....if so, what's the risk. thx. "Tami" <Tami@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EFA4F8A3-A823-4522-A946-F55AB55E0B29@microsoft.com... > can anyone write the formula to ...

How do I delete pages in Excel? Keeps printing blank pages at end.
I'm printing charts in Excel. Some of them are adding blank pages at the end of the charts. How do I get rid of these? Several ways: 1) Change the location of the chart to have its own sheet. Do this by right clicking the chart, go to "Location" and putting it on it's own sheet. Then you should be able to print it by itself without any white stuff. 2) Make sure that the page breaks are defined well. Go to View -> Page Break Preview . From there, you can move around the blue lines to determine your page breaks. Then, when you're printing it, make sure that you c...

How do I export/save a shhet where some of the cells have multiple line values
At the office I wrote a perl script to proces the data exported/saved from an excel spreadsheet. I noticed that the perl script processed more lines than existed rows in the spreadsheet. Upon closer examination I noticed that some of the cells have multiple line values. Is there any way I can control the action of the export/save so that the multiple line val;ues are combined into a single line ? Thanks... The cells with multiple lines would have linefeeds in them. This would be the character 0010 which is entered using Alt + Enter Select all cells before export/save and Edit>Replace...

Inserted Controls do not work once Saved
I am creating a form with textbox controls and date control. They work fine until I save the document then the controls seem to disappear. Has anyone had this problem before and what is the solution? I have copied the form and re-created the controls, but once again upon saving the form the controls go away. HELP Which version of Word are you using? Note that if you are using Word 2007, inserting content controls, and then saving in Word 97-2003 format, content controls will be converted to static text. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "LRay67" <...

when inserting a hyperlink the view is shortened with ././ at the beginning
when inserting a hyperink, the view is shortened at the beginning of th path with ../../ and it can not be opened by another user. th hyperlinks are to copies of email from a folder on a deskto -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

OUtlook 2003 is sending blank replies to emails I haven't seen
Intermittently, my outlook will send blank replies to emails that I haven't even seen yet, yet alone opened. I get messages from commercail and personal emials asking what I meant to send? Any help out there? What type of email account? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT....

How do I indicate a empty or blank cell in an IF function?
I am trying to do a simple IF function but don't know how to indicate if a cell is empty or blank then I want a certain text value returned. What I am trying is: =IF('Sheet 1'!A15=IS NULL,"NO","YES") What I want is if the cell indicated on an other sheet is empty or blank then the word NO to appear in the formula cell and if it does have text then YES to appear. How can I do this? Hope I made myself clear enough. I couldn't figure out how to ask help the right way to get the correct answer. Thanks for all of your help! Never Mind. I seem to ha...

Force relative (unprefixed!) paths in Insert Hyperlink dialog
Googling this question turned up a lot of people with the *opposite* problem, so I'm convinced I must be overlooking something obvious. The issue arises on 2 different PCs, running Excel 2000 and 2003, both with WinXP. I have several hundred files to be hyperlinked from a spreadsheet. When done they're all destined for a CD. So I figure we need all the hyperlink paths to be relative, that is, the address field for each link should be in the form \mystuff.txt and not E:\mystuff.txt (nor any other letter plus :\mystuff.txt).. But no matter what I put in the 'Hyperlink Base&...

Publisher 2003 Line spacing
Hello, I'm reasonably new to Publisher but am getting there.... however, I'm struggling with something that's probably really simple to address. I've pasted articles from Word into Publisher and the bottom line of each paragraph is spaced differently to every previous line in the same paragraph - there seems to be additional space above the letters. I seem to have tried everything to resolve this - justification, line spacing, baseline guides... nothing seems to help. It's maybe none of those things, or maybe it is but I've not understood properly what I ne...

Inserting a calculated field in a Pivot Table in Excel 2003
In the past I know I have done this but I can't see the option now to insert a calculated field. Does someone know where this is located? Thanks so much. Disregard. I figured it out. Thanks to anyone who answers before reading this. "Nadine" wrote: > In the past I know I have done this but I can't see the option now to insert > a calculated field. Does someone know where this is located? Thanks so much. ...

remove line breaks in word 07
I want to remove line breaks in word 07 without doing each one manually. All that I've found seems to apply to Excel or older versions of word. Is there a way to do it with this version? Thanks in advance. Line breaks or paragraph breaks? See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/CleanWebText.htm -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <&...

Signatur Lines
How to make signatur lines only on return sales?? Regard Kenneth ...

set Curved lines as default for Connector tool.
Is there a way to set "Curved Lines" as the default for the "Connector tool?" Now I have to draw the line with the default setting of "Straight Line" then change it to a curved line. I am using the Detailed Network Diagram template. Thanks Matt When you first use the Connector Tool, a master called Dynamic Connector is created in your Document Stencil. Open the Drawing Explorer Window Expand the Masters branch Right mouse the Dymanic connector master Select Edit Master Change the line to Curved Connector Close the Master Edit window (accept changes) T...