insert text data using function

Hi Guys,

I need help on the following matter. Suppose i have two column A and B. Now
when i insert some text in the A1 cell i want the data automatically set up
in the B1 Cell. Fox example if i type Linux in the A1 cell "Open Source"
will be automatically inserted in the B1 cell but if i insert windows "close
source" will be inserted autoamtically. I tried with if function but no
success. How can i achieve that?

Mosaddeq Aziz

0
mosaddeq (13)
12/29/2006 5:50:19 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You need to set up all of your possible data entry values for column A on
Sheet2.  Then in column B on sheet2, put the values you want auto-populated.
So, on sheet2, A1 is "Linux", B1 is "Open Source" (just type the words you
want without quotes)
When you're done making your list, go back to sheet1.  In B1, put the
formula =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A:B,2,0)

"Mosaddeq Aziz" <mosaddeq@siriusbb.com> wrote in message
> Hi Guys,
>
> I need help on the following matter. Suppose i have two column A and B.
> Now when i insert some text in the A1 cell i want the data automatically
> set up in the B1 Cell. Fox example if i type Linux in the A1 cell "Open
> Source" will be automatically inserted in the B1 cell but if i insert
> windows "close source" will be inserted autoamtically. I tried with if
> function but no success. How can i achieve that?
>
> Mosaddeq Aziz

0
KC
12/29/2006 6:02:15 PM
Thanks Rippstein. Working nicely.

Mosaddeq Aziz

"KC Rippstein hotmail.com>" <kcrippstein<at> wrote in message
> You need to set up all of your possible data entry values for column A on
> Sheet2.  Then in column B on sheet2, put the values you want
> auto-populated.
> So, on sheet2, A1 is "Linux", B1 is "Open Source" (just type the words you
> want without quotes)
> When you're done making your list, go back to sheet1.  In B1, put the
> formula =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A:B,2,0)
>
> "Mosaddeq Aziz" <mosaddeq@siriusbb.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I need help on the following matter. Suppose i have two column A and B.
>> Now when i insert some text in the A1 cell i want the data automatically
>> set up in the B1 Cell. Fox example if i type Linux in the A1 cell "Open
>> Source" will be automatically inserted in the B1 cell but if i insert
>> windows "close source" will be inserted autoamtically. I tried with if
>> function but no success. How can i achieve that?
>>
>> Mosaddeq Aziz

0
mosaddeq (13)

Using CImage?
I am trying to use CImage for the first time. I give the code schematically below. CImage::Save() is not working for me. Am I missing some important step? The HRESULT indicates an unknown error. (Stepping through image.Save(), I see it succeeding until the last step Gdiplus::Bitmap bm( m_hBitmap, NULL ); status = bm.Save( pwszFileName, &clsidEncoder, NULL ); which fails.) ================ The code: Schematically I have HBITMAP hBitmap = ......; // I then call a debugging routine which displays the bitmap // in a dialogue: it looks ok. // I now want to save it as a GIF T...

Paste data into visible columns only.
I have a problem with copy and paste with filtered data. I have a table with lots of data, about 20k rows. Among this data, are different subsets of data, to exemplify: Row 1 has all header infor for my actual data, however, for example row 2 will have a subset header. Then row 3 - 15 has data acording to the headers in row 1 Then row 16 has a subset header, then row 17-126 has data. And so on and so forth. Now the problem here is, that the subset header is separated into three cells, but it should only be one cell. What I did was filter for the subset rows, then in a column after the...

how to see the data in a subform when you close the form and then
I have a subform within a form. When data is entered into the subform, it goes into the table just fine, so I know the data is there. But, when I close the form, then open it back up, I can't see any of the data. I know there is a setting somewhere that I need to change to allow the data to be seen, I just can't remember where it is. I've looked in the Properties menu already, and can't seem to figure it out. Thanks! Is your subform set to DataEntry = Yes? That would be one possible cause for 'new' data disappearing after saving. Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft...

Centering text on a page
Is there a way to center text automatically in a row across the top of the page without having to pick a column that is close to center, then using the space bar to find the exact midpoint? Thnxs Hi Justin! Select the cells across your page Format > Cells > Alignment Place check in "Merge cells" Horizontal and Vertical drop downs should be set at Center OK There is a standard toolbar button for this. Use: View > Toolbars > Customize Look under Format for the Merge and Center button Click and drag it to your toolbar. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, A...

Data extract
Greetings, I need a date for specific product purchase. The data provided me was arranged as follows: Customer IDs in column A. Subsequent columns are alternating between product ID and Date. I only require the date of purchase for product K5, however each customer may have that product listed in a different column from others. Small example to illustrate; I apologize as the formatting will not appear correct: Customer ID Product Date Product Date Product Date 1234 A1 1/2/10 B4 12/1/09 K5 10/12/...

Report Writer Text Spacing Problems While Modifying a PO form
Due to Report Writer static text field size limitations, I am forced to try to use two adjacent text fields to complete a sentence. I am having an inordinate amout of problems trying to get words to align in sentences with the correct amount of character spacing between words that span the text field boundaries. And, the process of toggling between Report Writer and Dyamics to get the Purchase Order form to reprint is time consuming. What am I missing (besides patience)? -- Jay Jay, 1) Setup a calculated field for your static text. Set the result type to String, and use the Constant...

How to use only half DIN A 4
Tengo que confeccionar nuevas listas de precios para mi negocio, las cuales van introducidas dentro de un soporte de plástico. La medida de las listas es de la mitad de din A4. Tengo hecha la plantilla en din A4 mediante Publisher y no se como reducirlo a la mitad. Puede alguien ayudarme por favor? Trabajar con texto http://office.microsoft.com/es-hn/assistance/CH062524573082.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "Kat...

picture manager uses incorrect printer as default
Picture does not use the default printer but defaults to the fax. ...

Changing Text Box Size and Location on a form, at run time with Access Xp
Hello All, Is it possible to change the size of the text box (or any other control) on a form at run time, by Drag and drop or resizing borders using the mouse events. (Just like the design mode but the user will use it at run time on form view). Thanks in advance... You should be able to resize in your code if necessary. Me.control.Visible = True Me.control.Height = 1000 Me.control.Width = 1000 Don't forget to set them back when you are done. "Developer" wrote: > Hello All, > Is it possible to change the size of the text box (or any other control) on > a ...

Copying recordset multiple times using copyfromrecordset
We recently caught this issue but found out after research, that this has been occuring all year. This code worked in the past, but I am not sure if there was an Excel update that occurred which changed the behavior of the script. What we are trying to do is to have a recordset pasted twice into two seperate worksheets. It is pasting without issue in the first copyfromrecordset, but then it skips over the second paste (even when stepping through the code). I know that it is not the worksheet we are copying into because I can reverse the 'first paste/second paste' (see lab...

Cannot send mail using either port 25 or 587
I don't understand why this has only recently been happening but I cannot send mail using smtp in ol 2003. I am trying to send using my Yahoo account but the send receive says that it is sending messages that are not actually in the outbox, e.g (bottom rh corner of screen sending 2 of 3 messages when there are no messages there to send) then after a short while it says error send receive. My ISP is BT and apparently they block port 25 so I changed the port settings (as recommended by Yahoo) to port 587 but I still cannot send from within outlook. I have configured my e mail accou...

Insertion point in selected text
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I had to reinstall Office 2008 and since then, Word is behaving differently when I try to click inside a portion of text that is selected. Instead of dismissing the selection and giving me an insertion point, the selection background briefly blinks and stays there, and a smart tag appears. I have to click outside the selected text and then put the insertion point where I want it.� <br><br>What is even more intriguing is if I happen to be tracking the changes, I can see that Word does something when I...

trouble connecting to Exchange 2003 using Outlook 97 Exchange Server Service
hello, this is my setup I have one Active Directory domain containing two AD Sites, configured through AD Sites and Services, Site one is the local LAN on the 192.168.x.x subnet, Site two is a remote site in a datacentre on the public-facing 87.127.x.x subnet - the two sites are connecting via VPN on Sonicwall firewalls the VPN connection is solid - and commuications from Site one to Site two is fine, and vice versa netdiag and dcdiag from both sides report no problems My Exchange Server is in Site two, along with a DC/GC and appears to be working fine (still in testing phase), OWA works...

Uncheck "always use the selected program to open this kind of file" by default
http://www.vistax64.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1136177 Andrew;1136177 Wrote: > If I right click on a file there is usually the option to"Open with..". > Selecting this option list possible programs with which to open the > application and, below this, there is a check box labelled "always use > the > selected program to open this kind of file". The check box is always > checked, so clicking on OK permanently associates the selected program > with > the file type in question. > > However, I usually use this option to op...

Problem inserting in-line images
I am using Word 2003. Generally when I want to insert an image in a document I successfully use Insert..Picture...from file. I can then right click and add a caption is I want to. This is the preferred setting for me as i like to be able to easily add text before and after the picture. Hence my default settting (under Options...Edit) is 'Insert/paste pictures... Inline with text. I am having a problem with one particular document today (and I have seen it occasionally in the past) when I use the above method but the image gets hidden behind the text above. If I open a new...

Retrieving data of a CListCtrl's Item
Hi, I'm trying to work with CListCtrl class and I have a problem I can't solve. To simplfy the problem, let's just say I need to know the iItem of the LV_ITEM structure for the selected item. It's not too much, is it? Well I tested so many ways but none of them worked!?!? Has anyone worked with CListCtrl? Regards, Mehran Ziadloo You ask, "Has anyone worked with CListCtrl?" This class is perhaps the most commonly used of all the newer common controls! Have you looked at GetFirstSelectedItemPosition, followed by GetNextSelectedItem? "Mehran Ziadloo" &...

4.0 Data Migration Wizard on SBE?
I've installed the Wizard but in the 1st step (Signing in/gathering config info), I get an ASP.net exception error. Searches for the error code (which I've lost somewhere) tell me to register the dll in the GAC but that doesnt seem to work. Has anyone run the wizard on SBE successfully? -- Thanx Grizz ...

Data from multiple sheets and workbooks
Each week I receive a workbook from one of my customers. It contains mutliple sheets with salesnumbers from all the branch of my customer. Each sheet contains from 1 000 to 15 000 lines of salesdata. Every article sold gets one line in the sheets. Each workbook are named "weeknr.xls" and are stored in the same folder. Now my question/problem. I need to gather all sales info for one branch on one article from all the weeks. I know how to get the data from one workbook to another, but how do I get it to scan all the workbooks in the folder. Any ideas. Dim oFSO Sub LoopFolder...

Plain Text email unreadable
I previously used WinXP & O2K3. Recently I reloaded my machine with Vista & O2K3. New installation, not upgrade. Ever since the switch, emails from one specific sender are being received and are unreadable. The emails are in plain text and the header is readable but the body of the emails are garbage. I have viewed the emails via webmail and they look fine. when I open outlook and download the messages into my local PST they are unreadable. I am using the same version of O2K3 and can't figure this out. I am able to receive plain text emails from other senders ...

Change Headers That Exchange Uses To Deliver Mail?
When someone sends a BCC mail to recipients in my domain, the TO: header field is blank and as a result, the message is getting dumped into my badmail and a copy is going to the postmaster in my domain. It turns out that our ISP has some kind of SPAM filter that parses the BCC content prior to delivery to me and places the intended recipients in a new header called: X-NETSCAN-TO: Is there a way to tell my exchange server to use the contents of that new header to determine the recipients in addition to the normal TO: header which works the rest of the time? So, have it check TO: and X...

pre-windows 2000 logon name __ is already in use
We are trying to roll out Exchange Server 2000 at our office but we are having a problem creating a very important account we have on our old mail server (service@) When we try to create the user "service" we get the following error msg: "windows cannot create the new user object becuase the pre-windows 2000 logon name service is already in use. select another name, and then try again" I assume that this is reserved word or something for AD user accounts. We need to be able to send and receive emails w/ "service@", how can we get this to work on exhange...

Inserting symbol
I'm trying to insert a symbol next to a number in a cell that is totaled. When I attempt this the number is not then recognized for the correct total. Do I need to change my SUM fx in some way to correct this? Hi, Do it with a format. Right click your cell - Format - Number tab -select Custom enter this custom format alter to include the symbol you wannt 0.0" Your Symbol" OK Mike "judyl" wrote: > I'm trying to insert a symbol next to a number in a cell that is totaled. > When I attempt this the number is not then recognized for th...

How to change decimal separators when importing text (csv) files?
I have a problem importing text files into Excel 2007. I'm currently working on a German version of Excel 2007 running on a German version of Windows XP Pro. Whenever I try to import data from a text file (csv), every number with a decimal separator is recognized as text. This clearly is because of the decimal separators. The csv files use points to separate decimals, whereas this German Windows is used to separate decimals using commas. Although the text import wizard allows me to select what type of decimal and thousands separators are to be used, the separators are always reset to th...

Can't download large files using IE
I am unable to download large files ( 2 to 6 GB) from a web site using Internet Explorer but I am able to download using Firefox. I have various issues with IE 6 and IE7. With IE6, a partial file was downloaded of siz 1.65 GB instead of 6 GB. No error - just an incomplete file. I've been told IE has a limit on the size of files it can download. Does anyone know what that limit is and is there a way to change or disable it? Or any other issues which might be preventing this? "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA63A026-...

Moving outlook data + accounts to another PC
I want to move my Outlook data, email accounts, and rules to a new PC. The old PC has Outlook 2000 + Windows 2000. The new PC has Outlook 2003 + Windows XP. Neither will use Exchange server. I know that you can copy over the outlook.pst file, but presumably this won't hold my email accounts. Also, I vagely remember that simply copying over the pst file can damage the profile. http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm Be aware if you wish to use the OL2003 format pst you will need to create a new pst and copy data from old to new. Accounts stored in the registry and no...