Importing Data from Access -- Parameter Errors

I am attempting to import a query from access.  I get to the point of view
or saving query in excel and get message "Too few parameters, expected 4."

There are several parameters in my query.

How do I avoid this message and get my query into excel?

0
joyrose (23)
10/9/2005 8:41:15 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Does your query work properly if you invoke it directly in Access? And must
the user supply the values of the parameters directly, or can those values
be picked up from a worksheet?

I assume you're using Microsoft Query to return the data from Access.
Microsoft Query is not as powerful as Access (and thus any other true
relational database) and sometimes it doesn't respond to SQL as you'd
expect. If you're using Microsoft Query to help define your query, for
example using selection criteria, you might try putting the criteria in the
Access query rather than in Microsoft Query. The less you leave to Microsoft
Query, the better. In particular, if you are using any sort of complex table
joins, you should make sure to manage them in the Access query, not in
Microsoft Query.

The last time I ran into what you describe, it was caused by a combination
of restricting records based on a selection criterion, and then further
restricting them on the basis of inner joins. The only way I was able to
solve it was to use VBA to execute two separate queries, each returning a
progressively smaller recordset. This stuff can get very complex.

--
C^2
Conrad Carlberg

Excel Sales Forecasting for Dummies, Wiley, 2005

"jwr" <joyrose@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I am attempting to import a query from access.  I get to the point of view
> or saving query in excel and get message "Too few parameters, expected 4."
>
> There are several parameters in my query.
>
> How do I avoid this message and get my query into excel?

0
carlbergc (76)
10/10/2005 12:35:43 AM
Yes the query works, but does ask for values of the parameters to be input.

I was using Microsoft query when I got "expected parameters".

Briefly - what I am attempting to do is --

I have an access database.  I have a query and a report based upon that
query.  I need to send via email the report for the end user to input
information into several "unprotected" fields and then have them email that
back to me.  Access does not email reports in the same format so I have been
trying to find another way to get information emailed from access.  Excel
template was my next try.

Thanks,
JR
"Conrad Carlberg" <carlbergc@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Does your query work properly if you invoke it directly in Access? And
must
> the user supply the values of the parameters directly, or can those values
> be picked up from a worksheet?
>
> I assume you're using Microsoft Query to return the data from Access.
> Microsoft Query is not as powerful as Access (and thus any other true
> relational database) and sometimes it doesn't respond to SQL as you'd
> expect. If you're using Microsoft Query to help define your query, for
> example using selection criteria, you might try putting the criteria in
the
> Access query rather than in Microsoft Query. The less you leave to
Microsoft
> Query, the better. In particular, if you are using any sort of complex
table
> joins, you should make sure to manage them in the Access query, not in
> Microsoft Query.
>
> The last time I ran into what you describe, it was caused by a combination
> of restricting records based on a selection criterion, and then further
> restricting them on the basis of inner joins. The only way I was able to
> solve it was to use VBA to execute two separate queries, each returning a
> progressively smaller recordset. This stuff can get very complex.
>
> --
> C^2
> Conrad Carlberg
>
> Excel Sales Forecasting for Dummies, Wiley, 2005
>

> "jwr" <joyrose@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > I am attempting to import a query from access.  I get to the point of
view
> > or saving query in excel and get message "Too few parameters, expected
4."

> > There are several parameters in my query.
> >
> > How do I avoid this message and get my query into excel?

0
joyrose (23)

Importing numbers from 200 worksheets into 1
I wish to import numeric data from numerous worksheets, say upto 200, into an overall summary page. For example, I have 200 projects, thus each worksheet is named Prj1, Prj2, etc. In each of these I enter the numbers of hours that the workforce book to these projects. The list of workforce members can be up to 100 different designations, and different projects necessarily do not use the same combination of the workforce. For example: Column C Column E Prj1 row 17 lead electrical engineer 200 Row 23 Senior mechanical engineer 450 Row 51 Junior piping engineer 700 Pr...

Outlook 2007 Object could not be found error
We have a user who is a delegate on 10 other users in Outlook 2007. The user has been provided editorial rights to modify and create appointments on the client’s Outlook. She is able to manage and create appointments on 7 of the 10 clients, but the other 3 come up with an “Object could not be found” error. The user can set up meetings fine in her mailbox as well as when creating appointments for other. It’s just the 3 users that are causing the problem. Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated. JoeP ...

How to indicate an Asset is Retired in Integration Manager import?
Is there a way to indicate an Asset is retired when doing Fixed Asset integration of Assets? I don't see a place to mark or flag the asset as retired. Thanks Nevermind folks, I found the answer to my question, it looks like retired assets cannot be imported into GP. I found the following in KB article: 871638 "You cannot import retired assets. You can bring retired assets into the system as fully depreciated. But there is no field and no option that you can use to flag the assets as retired. You must perform the retirement process when the asset is in the system." "...

Writing programs for the manipulation of data cells?
I'm new to Excel and I think I can do this with macros. In that case, where can I find a list of Excel functions? On 18 Mar, 10:38, "Scott H" <nospam> wrote: > I'm new to Excel and I think I can do this with macros. In that case, where > can I find a list of Excel functions? Have you tried the help? I would also highly recommend Chip Pearson's site: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/MainPage.aspx The great thing about Excel is there are so many high quality advice sites that are easily found. ...

exporting/importing databases
Can someone tell me if it is possible to bring a database created in microsoft access into microsoft publisher 2002. any suggestions, I am trying to create a mailing list and I have about 900 entries to transfer. thanks ...

comparing data in different sheets
I have data set for each quarter, like sales, profits, margins. The dat is for more than 1000 companies and in different worksheets: Eac quarter is in each seperate worksheet. It gets frustrating to keep on switching between each worksheet to ge a comparative number. Is there a way out -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com In situations like this I generally create a summary sheet and reference the cells from all of the other worksheets. Set up the layout for the summary sheet and then select a cell you want to mirror the value from another worksheet. With the cell selected, ...

extend XY data ranges?
I was wondering if there is a way to extend the X and Y data ranges on a line graph? I am plotting some data, and I want to be able to extend the x and y axes so that I can predict future vaules, however I cannot seem to figure out how to do this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! Jeff hi Jeff, if you select the Y-axis and then right-click, select "Format Axis". On the "Scale" tab, uncheck the relevant "Auto" checkboxes and enter in the scale that you're after. HTH, Katherine "Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.micro...

OE address book
I am using Windows XP and attempting to use Outlook Express 6. I am trying, without much success, to import my Netscape 7.1 address book into OE6. I saved my Netscape address book as an LDIF file, opened OE6, clicked on "import-other address book-LDIF" and selected my saved Netscape address book to import. I receive the message "application error in importer DLL C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\wabimp.dll", and nothing is imported. What am I doing wrong, or do I need to reinstall OE6? How would I reinstall OE6 if I have to? Thank you. K.C. This newsgroup is ...

access / excel link
i know that i can link excel tables to an access database. can i link an access table to a spreadsheet? -- TomMurray hi Tom, tom wrote: > i know that i can link excel tables to an access database. can i link an > access table to a spreadsheet? You may use Data/Get External Data, but this not the same as linked table. Depending on your needs, you may consider using a VBA procedure (macro) to read the data with a DAO.Recordset and copy it manually into to your cells - you can copy also a complete recordset, see CopyFromRecordset in Excel. mfG --> stefan <-- thanks stefa...

Access Licensing (distribution question)
Hi New to this group, let me introduce myself quickly. Im Jamie Brown and a programmer from the uk. Nice to meet you all. I have developed a system, front end Access 2003, backend SQL 2000. I currently distribute the front end (ade) to over 50 pcs, each one currently has Access 2003 installed on it. My question is, is there a way of compiling the front end so I dont actually need Access installed on the 50 pcs? I have a license for development on my PC but so I really require a further 50 licenses? The bosses are keen to cut costs (arnt they all) and this is one area I can see potential. ...

Data to Chart Question/How-to
Below is my data layout as it is right now. What I want my chart to look like is described as... The Vertical Left Area is the Document ID Column The Horizontal Bottom Row is the Reviewer (Revwr #?) The Secondary Vertical Right is the Days Overdue Numbers So far I've tried to use a Scatter, Line, Bar, and also Combining them too but nothing seems to yield the results I am looking for. I hope that the data outline below shows up well enough but if not then let me know and I'll try again. Document ID Revwr #1 Revwr #2 Revwr #3 Revwr #4 Days Overdue Document #001 X X ...

Imported 'Sent Items' from Outlook Express appears to be empty
I just migrated from OE6 to Windows Live Mail. I have always stored a LOT of messages in my inbox and sent items folders. Don't know if this is causing a problem. Everything seems to have gone well with my installation and imports from OE6, except that my 'Sent Items' are not showing up. If I try to re-do the import, it says that it has been done. The inbox items were successfully imported from the .dbx file; the problem seems to be primarily with the 'sent items'. (The .dbx file in my OE folder is just over 2GB.) I don't want to start using Windows Live M...

Grouping to included ranges for which no base data exists
I have a set of data which has numbers ranging from 1700 to 32100. I'd like to pivot table them and group them in bands of 100, starting at 1700. I'd like my pivot table to show all of the bands that exist. The problem is, if I have no data within the band 2200 to 2300 that band wont appear in my grouped pivot table. Any help most appreciated. Thanks in advance. Gerry. ...

Access mouse wheel does not scroll in datasheet view of table, Win
I am aware of the issues with mouse wheel scrolling of forms. But those who have posted about those invariably say that mouse wheel scrolling works in datasheet view. For me it does not. On Win XP Access 2003, if I opened a table in datasheet view it initially would not scroll using the mouse wheel. But if one scrolled down a bit using the righthand scroll bar, thereafter the mouse wheel worked to scroll the records. I've just moved to Win 7 64-bit and have Access 2003 and 2007 installed. It won't scroll a table in datasheet view using the mouse wheel with either ve...

Error 80070057
H I just installed a Exchange 2003 box as new server of a Exchange 5.5 site (exdeploy-tools) I didn't received any errors during install and mail flow between servers My issue is when I view the RUS properties it shows only Descriptio properties and when I try to generate a new RUS service I get the erro Exchange System Manager Invalid Argumen Facility: Win3 ID No: 8007005 Exchange System Manage I received the same error message when I try to generate a new Address Lis What is the problem The exchange service account is member of the following groups: local administrators, domain a...

web access subject problem
Hello everybody, I'm working at home at this time and I'm reading my e- mails from my job's server by outlook web access. But I can't read messages which has subject with dot or any non- alphabetic characters (.&! etc.) Could anybody help to me ? thx Gyuri ...

Importing of Gift Card numbers and balances
I have a customer that has a list of Gift Card numbers and balances from their old POS system. Is there a way to import those balances and numbers as vouchers? Or is there an alternate way to use these existing Gift Cards? Thanks in advance. Phil ...

Visual Basic Error Message #2
After updating an application unrelated to Excel that I have been using for two years, evefry time I now start Excel (I'm using Excel 2003, by the way), I initially get a Microsoft Visual Basic error window popping up on my screen: "System Error &H8000FFFF (-2147418113). Catastrophic failure." When I click OK, a second Microsoft Visual Basic error window pops up: "Out of memory." I then click OK, the window disapears, and then everything runs just fine. All my calculations, prior work and spreadsheets and so forth, as well as new files I create are readily...

Importing messages from Outlook 2003 into 2000?
I have Outlook 2003 on my computer at work and Outlook 2000 on my computer at home. I would like to move some messages from my work to my home machine. Unfortunately, Outlook 2000 doesn't seem able to understand the .pst files generated by Outlook 2003. Is there any way around this? Colin Make sure you create and copy items into a legacy (Outlook 97 - 2002) pst file. See File | New | Outlook Data file. Pick the Outlook 97 - 2002 type. Copy items form mailbox to this new pst. Close it when done (right click on personal folders and select close/disconnect.) "Colin Caulkins&...

Import Vista Winmail into Outlook 2007
Please advise how I can import Vista WinMail emails and contacts into Outlook 2007? Thanks Malcolm Both apps need to be installed & configured on the same PC Export msgs from Mail to Outlook In OL Import Contacts (Though you may have to export Mail contacts to a scv file, then import that into OL) "Buchanan Family" <buchann@iimetro.com.au> wrote in message news:245F49C7-A7B1-455B-9E12-33CA1372C66E@microsoft.com... > Please advise how I can import Vista WinMail emails and contacts into > Outlook 2007? > Thanks > Malcolm > All works, Thanks Malcolm ...

Importing Addresses/Contacts from Outlook 2000 to 2002
ok...I have a new laptop running Windows XP, and Office 2002, including Outlook 2002. My old laptop is running Windows 2000. I have reinstalled Windows 2000 several times on many machines, and each time all I have had to do was replace outlook.pst on the new install with my back- up'd version, and everything worked fine. Now on my XP machine, I did the same thing (overwrote the existing-new outlook.pst) by putting my old outlook.pst file from Windows 2000 into the proper location on my new (XP) laptop. EVERYTHING worked perfect (old email is all there, Contacts show up, folders...

Compile error
Hi, My below code has a compile error : Expected: list seperator or ) Pls help solve it. Sub Consolidation() 'Copy to the next line in the target file' Dim i As Integer, wb As Workbook Dim first, last As Long 'Open all files in the folder' With Application.FileSearch .NewSearch .LookIn = "N:\Tax\FILE1" .SearchSubFolders = False .Filename = "*.xls" .Execute For i = 1 To .FoundFiles.Count 'Open each workbook Set wb = Workbooks.Open(Filename:=.FoundFiles(i)) 'Identify 1st row...

formulas and external data
i have an issue trying to calculate data based on a query i import the data with all my columns and records, at the end i insert a column with a formula that calculates 4 different cells in the row then i run a query to remove null (zero) value data from a certain field, then the formual column that i added manually doesn't look right. for example, if i have 800 rows of data, i copied that formula to all 800 rows in the last column following the external data when i run the query, all the zero values are removed (doing what it should) and the formulas stay, except the last row that is...

collect data via email
We're looking for solution to collect intake data from multiple agencies (not on network), and get into our (currently 2003) Access database. With 2007, the 'EMail data collect' facility - can that collect and insert multiple rows with 1 email - or each email/form processes only 1 row..? thanks! don You will send a mail asking the user either to update a certain row or add information to a new record. So in both situations you are tied to single row processing... Secondly you have two options to choose from. Plain html which will present the user with a html emai...

HTTP_500 error with mobile active sync
Hi, We have a problem that none of our mobile devices can sync with the Exchange 2003 server. I have done absolutely everyting posible, and found on the knowledge base. The problem is this. When a PPC 2003 connects with activesync over SSL to our exchange 2003, they get authenticated, but after a few seconds they will receive the HTTP_500 error. This is the WC3 log of the IIS site hosting the Active Sync : ##### 172.31.1.4 OPTIONS /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync User=bvh&DeviceId=4FC5706E41B81E1188000050BF1977E0&DeviceType=PocketPC&Log=VNATNASNC:0A0C0D0FS:0A0C0D0SP:0C0I0S0R ...