Import txt file

Hi all,

How can I import a text file (tab delimited) with over 400 columns. (Excel
only contain 200 something). Your help will be appreciated.

Billy

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi
you can't in Excel. You have to split the data at least in two
worksheets

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Billy Leung wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> How can I import a text file (tab delimited) with over 400 columns.
> (Excel only contain 200 something). Your help will be appreciated.
>

> Billy

0
frank.kabel (11126)
11/2/2004 12:54:23 PM
Thanks, Frank,

But, how can I split the text file in the first place?

Billy

> Hi
> you can't in Excel. You have to split the data at least in two
> worksheets
>
> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
>

> Billy Leung wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > How can I import a text file (tab delimited) with over 400 columns.
> > (Excel only contain 200 something). Your help will be appreciated.
> >

> > Billy

Scanning for new files added to directory
I'd like to write a program that can monitor a download directory and identify the addition of new files added. Could someone give a suggestion as to how this could be accomplished. Many thanks, Marcus >I'd like to write a program that can monitor a download directory and >identify the addition of new files added. Could someone give a >suggestion as to how this could be accomplished. Marcus, Have a look at the FindFirstChangeNotification API documentation on MSDN. Dave -- MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq ok, thanks for the tip David "Marcus" <mcde...

Template file size too large
Hello - One of the templates I've created in Excel is 630KB. This seems very large and I'd like to decrease the size as transmitting the file becomes costly. Any idea what might be causing this? The file is 32 rows by 13 columns with alternating grey shading. 26 cells are locked and the file has protection. Some cells have been merged. Thanks! Karin When you hit ctrl-End on that worksheet, where does the cell pointer go? If it's a long way from where you expected it to go, you might be able to reset that lastused cell using some of the techniques at Debra Dalgleish's s...

how do i create an access code sheet to number my office files an.
im new to this office. the former person made an access code sheet (looks like it was made in excel, but im not sure) the sheet numbers and color codes files that are in the office. i guess the former did not save the sheet, and i need to add new files. So if i need to make a new access code sheet to number and color code all files, which way will be the easiest to do this. (and i've never used excel or word to do this, so please leave how-to instructions) you may want to use word to do this so you can use the label function. you could just as easily do it in excel as well simpl...

Copying file names and not the actual file
I have a folder in Excel which contains about 500 files with different file names refering to a different client: e.g. "Proforma Bill Smith-GS010203" "proforma John Smith- CS010302" I am currently tying to set up an Excel spreadsheet and would like to copy just the file names into the spreadsheet - not the actual file. I have been trying to copy and paste, just the file titles and had no luck, as excel only wants to copy the file. In Excel you can "Copy" and "Paste Special" if you want to just copy the values, and I wondered whether you could do ...

save a file on a CD.
I want to save a file on a CD. When I try, I'm told it is not a legal operation ( or something to that effect) and that I must get permission from the 'Administrator". Who would that be?? If you're using File|SaveAs (or its xl2007+ equivalent), then you'll want to make sure that the drive you're using allows you to use it this way. One of my drives has a DLA (Direct Line Access???). This allows this drive to be used the way file|SaveAs would need. The other doesn't allow this. In any event, I wouldn't do this. I think it'll cause more tro...

is there a 3rd party utility to edit my *.nick file?
Hi, I'm running OL2000 IMO. I am aware of how to delete names in my *.nick file, one by one, and how I can rename it or delete to start a fresh *.nick file. I'm looking for a program that will let me edit all the names in my *.nick file at once, kind of like Owtlook (www.DCS-Imaging.com ) lets you edit names in your *.nk2 file. J Adding to my previous post, for clarification, I am aware of MS KB242704 and the program OL2Knick.exe which is useful to edit the list of e-mail addresses containing "nicknames", which is different from editing the list of all e-mail address...

Allen Browns List files recursively
this is a query relating to allen browns List files recursively contribution via http://allenbrowne.com/ser-59.html brilliant contribution, works really well. the only issue i have is the full path and filename are displayed in the list box, so my list box needs to be the size of the screen to view full path. Is there a way to just get the listbox to display the filename to the user but to also keep the filename and path hidden so that the double click hyperlink still works to open the documents?? On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 04:56:04 -0700, StuJol <StuJol@discussions.microsoft.co...

Cannot access the "Help" files in Office 2007
Cannot access the "Help" files in Office 2007. I have ran "repair' from the installation CD and still have the same issue. Every time I click the question mark , or hit "F1", for help I get the following message: "There is a problem with one or more installed help files. Please repair your office installation and try again". Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks Britaa: My suggestion would be to just completely reinstall Office 2007 beacuse if you have allready tried to repair it im guessing a file somewhere has been deleted. Hope...

how do I import a word document with footnotes into publisher?
When I import my word document into publisher I always seem to lose the footnotes and page numbers. What can I do to keep them as originally written? Publisher does not support footnotes. You will have to create them manually. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "dickburgess" <dickburgess@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:702B1472-41B8-40EE-9513-1660B59F5463@microsoft.com... > When I import my word document into publisher I always seem to lose the > footnotes and page numbers. What can I...

insert data from one excel file into another
Is there any way to insert data from one excel file into another without doing copy and pasting? I need to automate the process of inserting data but I cannot use copy-paste, because it puts data on a clipboard, and my Excel VBA program runs in a multi-user environment. So if one instance of a program is copying data into clipboard, and another instance is pasting it at the same time, it will paste incorrect data. Thank you Leonard. You'll need both spreadsheets open, but try this; Option Explicit Sub MyMacro() Dim MyVariable As String Windows("File2.xls").Ac...

import contacts #2
When i imported my contacts from yahoo only the email address came through. How can I get all contact info? What version of Outlook are you using? Note: this group does not support Outlook Express. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer JPF (just plain Fred) <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> asked: | When i imported my contacts from yahoo only the email | address came through. How can I get all contact info? ...

Can not import pictures in Publisher 2000
After reformatting my Dell computer, I reinstalled 2000. It now does not allow me to import a graphic. I get a box that says something about a graphics convertor missing. The CD is fine - had someone put it on their computer and it allows them to import a graphic. Am I missing another computer file of sort? Hope someone can help. Jeanne All graphics or only certain extensions? All the graphic filters are in a folder similar to this. C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Grphflt If it is only certain extensions, rename the filter, for instance, TIFFIM32.FLT to TIFFIM32.old, dra...

Importing email accounts from Outlook 2000 into 2003 (via iaf files)
Hello there, Summary: How to import Email accounts from Outlook 2000 iaf files (created when exporting) into Outlook 2003. Full details: I done what I thought was a great idea, after having a problem with my PC decided to upgrade to Office 2003 (from 2000) Pro as it was offered to me free (Or I could have taken a memory upgrade). Reading this newsgroup it would seem that was a mistake! My current problem is that I cannot import that many email accounts I had created in outlook 2000. One work around is to import first into Outlook Express 6 and then import from there, but I still have to do...

How can I import my data from Entourage for Macosx
I a moving from a Apple Mac computer and I want to move all my data from Entourage to Outlook Ken Allen <Ken Allen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I a moving from a Apple Mac computer and I want to move all my data > from Entourage to Outlook See if this helps: http://www.entourage.mvps.org/cross_platform/ -- Brian Tillman "Ken Allen" wrote: > I a moving from a Apple Mac computer and I want to move all my data from > Entourage to Outlook. Will these scripts move all my e-mails and attachments over to Outlook as well. Thank you for all your help. I h...

Sign in name not associated with this file!
I have been searching all over the WWW for software to crack the password since I thought I screwed up something. I was about to buy some software that crack's the password's, but good thing I checked here first!! Unfortunately i have to say that I am glad I am not the only one.... Hopefully with all of us sending requests to Microsoft, this will be resolved soon.. I also sent a message via the " Microsoft Online Assisted Support. I hope my file is not compromised after this is fixed, because I will be really pissed.. and would end up throwing away about 2 years of deta...

Upload file to SharePoint from machine with CAC
I'm looking for macro functions to upload and download files to SharePoint file sharing site - and I'm running a gov computer with a CAC card, so I don't use user login and passwords to access the SharePoint site I found this code, but is doesn't work: Function WebUploadFile(file, url, user, pass) Dim objXMLHTTP Dim objADOStream Dim arrbuffer Set objADOStream = CreateObject("ADODB.Stream") objADOStream.Open objADOStream.Type = 1 objADOStream.LoadFromFile file arrbuffer = objADOStream.Read() Set objXMLHTTP = CreateObject(&quo...

How do I paste several files together for comparison?
I created seven files that are related to each other and i wanted to put them together in comparison so how do i put these files togther. For example: File#1 is in colum A B C D and i wonder if i could put file # 2 in E F G H....and so on. Thank you. Data all the same in each file? If so then create a single file as follows A B C D E File Hdg1 Hdg2 Hdg3 Hdg4 File1 Col1 Col2 Col3 Col4 File1 Col1 Col2 Col3 Col4 File1 Col1 Col2 Col3 Col4 File2 Col1 Col2 Col3 Col4 File2 Col1 Col2 Col3 Col4 File2 Col1 Col2 Col3 Col4 File3 Col1 Col2...

help!can't open any files
I just loaded & activated Microsoft student/teacher edition 2003. Now all of the previous excel files already saved to my computer will not open. The message "Not able to open-virus scanner has detected a problem" pops up. This even occurs on new docs that I have just created & saved to the systems since installing this new software. Help! ...

Link to send file to an e-mail address
How do I create a link within a workbook to send that workbook to an indicated email address? Thanks. PJ, The following code will create an Outlook MailItem with the current workbook as the attachment Set myOlApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application") 'Dim myOlApp As New Outlook.Application Set myitem = myOlApp.CreateItem(olMailItem) myitem.Display myitem.Recipients.Add Sheet1.Range("a2").Value myitem.Attachments.Add ThisWorkbook.Path & "\" & ThisWorkbook.Name http://HelpExcel.com "-PJ" wrote: > How do I create a link within a wo...

are microsoft Money 2005 files backward compatible with 2004?
I had a disk crash but I had a backup. When I restored my files to the new disk, I could not find the original money disk and of course it wouldn't run without being 'installed'. I found a copy of 2004 at a discount. Will 2004 read the 2005 files? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0045_01C6F242.051FC7D0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable NO, files are not backward compatible... "prefersQuicken" <prefersQuicken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in = message news:B...

move files in XP
Hi The following macro takes files that are in one directory, and puts them in a newly created directory. This works in Excel 2000 running on 98, but does not work in Excel 2000 running on XP (I put a On Error goto line before the rename directory lines, and in XP it jumps and does not create the new directory. In 98 it creates the directory (Before running this macro, there is a dir called "one" in the "oldname" directory. I have heard that XP will not create a new diredtory this way Can anyone tell me how to do this in XP Thank you very muc Sub xp98( Dim OldName ...

Repair Corrupt File
While Money 2004 has a simple click to reapir corrupt files, Money 2003 does not. My mom's bank account is showing trillions of dollars (I wish). It is corrupt. Does anyone know how to repair it? In microsoft.public.money, Bobbee wrote: >While Money 2004 has a simple click to reapir corrupt >files, Money 2003 does not. My mom's bank account is >showing trillions of dollars (I wish). It is corrupt. >Does anyone know how to repair it? Try opening Money with Start->Run and entering "msmoney -s" without the quotes into the box. Yes, that opens Money. ...

More on xlw file and auto-update among xls files
Thanks for help from Tom and JE. My key concern is that: could I, by any means, keep links betwen file update each other even after I move one of the file to another folder? I tried xlw. The problem is that: I can not change the path of th saved files. So I can not send these files to someone else to open i with my xlw file. If it can reach that: say, I send the saved workbooks and the xlw fil together to another computer, and then when another user opens that xl file, all the workbooks will open automatically. Does anyone know more on this topic? Or is there any other solution t my...

Preserving embedded links when moving a file
Using Word 2003 on Windows XP I have a Word document that contains embedded links to other Word documents and PDFs. All of the files are in the same folder. If I burn this folder to a CD, or FTP it to a colleague, will the links be preserved? Or must I do something beforehand? Thanks, pjs Hi pjs, You'll need to change the way the links work, so that they'll apply 'relative' Paths, instead of the usual 'absolute' paths. To see how to do this, check out the solution I've posted at: http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/index.php?showtopic=670027 --...

Outlook 2007 file sync goes on and on.
I've been using outlook 2007 for aprox. 2 weeks and it now starts a file sync. process none stop. The only way I can get it to stop running the hard drive is to shut the program down. HELP!! Do you have an Exchange Server? If so how are you connecting to it? (via VPN? RPC over HTTP? Locally across the LAN?) How big is your mailbox? -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.htm "gands111" <gands111@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8955C793-FFBC-46F8-B55E-70EC8A3ED3C...