Import from TXT file with "No record delimiter"

I'm trying to import data from a text file into excel.

Each record is 331 characters and there are no record delimiters. The file
ends with a carriage return and line feed (ASCII13 and ASCII 10)

I'm having no luck importing it and only get one record when I manually
select the field lengths.

Can anyone help?

TIA
KIWI

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

How many records are in the file? Perhaps you can load it into Notepad
first and adjust the font to Courier 6pt and adjust the margins so
that you can just get 332 characters on a line, and then manually
press Enter after 331 characters. If you have a lot of records this
might not be feasible.

Once you have worked through the file then save it and try to import
it again through the Text Import Wizard.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jul 12, 11:16 pm, "CanaKiwi" <john_has...@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to import data from a text file into excel.
>
> Each record is 331 characters and there are no record delimiters. The file
> ends with a carriage return and line feed (ASCII13 and ASCII 10)
>
> I'm having no luck importing it and only get one record when I manually
> select the field lengths.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> TIA
> KIWI

0
pashurst (2576)
7/12/2007 10:46:56 PM
if anyone is interested I did this on a Ubuntu box using sed

"Pete_UK" <pashurst@auditel.net> wrote in message
> How many records are in the file? Perhaps you can load it into Notepad
> first and adjust the font to Courier 6pt and adjust the margins so
> that you can just get 332 characters on a line, and then manually
> press Enter after 331 characters. If you have a lot of records this
> might not be feasible.
>
> Once you have worked through the file then save it and try to import
> it again through the Text Import Wizard.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Pete
>
> On Jul 12, 11:16 pm, "CanaKiwi" <john_has...@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm trying to import data from a text file into excel.
>>
>> Each record is 331 characters and there are no record delimiters. The
>> file
>> ends with a carriage return and line feed (ASCII13 and ASCII 10)
>>
>> I'm having no luck importing it and only get one record when I manually
>> select the field lengths.
>>
>> Can anyone help?
>>
>> TIA
>> KIWI

Import from TXT file with "No record delimiter"
I'm trying to import data from a text file into excel. Each record is 331 characters and there are no record delimiters. The file ends with a carriage return and line feed (ASCII13 and ASCII 10) I'm having no luck importing it and only get one record when I manually select the field lengths. Can anyone help? TIA KIWI How many records are in the file? Perhaps you can load it into Notepad first and adjust the font to Courier 6pt and adjust the margins so that you can just get 332 characters on a line, and then manually press Enter after 331 characters. If you have a lot of reco...