import fixed-length text file into excel

-     2  2299 Del Pietro           M Wintervill NC 1:18:26 2:44:0
  2:44:11  6:16
-     1  2045 Robert Marchinko     M Salisbury  NC 1:15:34 2:31:1
  2:31:20  5:47

I have a text file where each field starts at same column and of th
same  length in each record.

I tried cut&Paste,
I tried opening it in excel as a tab delimited file
I tried as a fixed-length file

None of these worked. Data came in scrambled or into scrunched columns

If the data were a table then cut&paste works great.

What's the secret in loading above 2 records into Excel? I couldn'
simulate the look in this post for the above sample data. The 3rd fiel
is a name the 4th field is either M or F, 5th field is the Cioy, next i
State, last 4 fields are numbers but should be treated as text.

Thanks for any assistance

--
GottaRu
GottaRun's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3129

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi

Did you try marking the block of Data, then Data>Text to Columns>Fixed
Width
I tried it after copying the 2 records you posted and it seemed to work
OK for me.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"GottaRun" <GottaRun.23gs9o_1140332106.3075@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote
in message news:GottaRun.23gs9o_1140332106.3075@excelforum-nospam.com...

> -     2  2299 Del Pietro           M Wintervill NC 1:18:26 2:44:09
>  2:44:11  6:16
> -     1  2045 Robert Marchinko     M Salisbury  NC 1:15:34 2:31:19
>  2:31:20  5:47
>

> I have a text file where each field starts at same column and of the
> same  length in each record.
>
> I tried cut&Paste,
> I tried opening it in excel as a tab delimited file
> I tried as a fixed-length file
>
> None of these worked. Data came in scrambled or into scrunched columns
>
> If the data were a table then cut&paste works great.
>
> What's the secret in loading above 2 records into Excel? I couldn't
> simulate the look in this post for the above sample data. The 3rd
> field
> is a name the 4th field is either M or F, 5th field is the Cioy, next
> is
> State, last 4 fields are numbers but should be treated as text.
>
> Thanks for any assistance.
>

> --
> GottaRun
> GottaRun's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31297
> View this thread:

roger5293 (1125)
2/19/2006 8:02:33 AM
That worked great.

Thanks Roger.

I have a couple more questions .. will post  new thread on converting a
column into upper case;
2nd) merginging two columns of names into one clumn with a spce between
names.

--
GottaRun
GottaRun's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31297
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=514104

Hi

1
=UPPER(A1)
Copy down column.
Mark column of converted data>Copy>cursor to A1>Paste Special>Values
2
In new column where you want the concatenated result
=A1&" "&B1
Copy down column

Cahge A1, B1 etc. to relevant references for your use.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

GottaRun wrote:
> That worked great.
>
> Thanks Roger.
>
> I have a couple more questions .. will post  new thread on converting
> a column into upper case;
> 2nd) merginging two columns of names into one clumn with a spce
> between names.

0
roger5293 (1125)
2/19/2006 6:30:14 PM
Thamks Roger.
Worked like a charm.

--
GottaRun
GottaRun's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31297
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=514104

Converting QuatroPro to Excel
How can convert a quatropro spreadsheet to an excel spreadsheet. Any help? Thanks, Bob Open the file in Quattro Pro and save it in one of the supplied Excel formats. -- Regards Andy Wiggins www.BygSoftware.com Home of "Save and BackUp", "The Excel Auditor" and "Byg Tools for VBA" "Bob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:36c601c40128$9e26a970$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How can convert a quatropro spreadsheet to an excel > spreadsheet. Any help? > Thanks, > Bob ...

data input in text box

Excel 2007

Excel not Access

MS Money 95 data files

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Opening Excel Workbooks

Where is the workspace file stored?

help with simple maths in excel

cant start outlook pst file to large

How do I use traffic lights in excel

Importing leads and workflow
We are just implementing CRM and have a couple of lead lists that we want to import (about 5000 records). The sales force would like calls automatically scheduled when the list is imported and would only like 50 calls scheduled per week. I know that I can assign leads based on various criteria to the correct salesperson. However, is there any way that I can create the phone activities and only limit to 50 per week? Does workflow look at the salesperson work schedule at all or will each sales person have 1000 phone calls scheduled for 3 days from when I import? There isn't anything in ...

Trying to read XML file into dataset

Calculating age in a label or text box on a form
Hello All, I have a text box for birthdate for a user to enter the birthdate and I want to the age for the user to be automatically calcuated and displayed in another label called "Age." What formula can I use? Missy ...

opening .bak file