Import external database query not working with other users?

Help!

I set up an import external database query (ms access) for an excel
report used on our network that works fine for me, but will not refresh
the data for anyone else.

It does not appear to be due to any difference in user access or
mapping.  I set everything up through folders and files that all users
have access to.

I can't figure out why it only works for me.  Is the query set up by
the wizzard somehow tied to the user?

Thanks,

Dave.

--
devbox
devbox's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=20047

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Did you use a mapped drive in the path to mdb file location?
(like K:\MyDatabase.mdb)

If yes, then you need to change the mdb file path to the UNC address,
something like \\servername\foldername\MyDatabase.mdb

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"devbox" wrote:

> Help!
>
> I set up an import external database query (ms access) for an excel
> report used on our network that works fine for me, but will not refresh
> the data for anyone else.
>
> It does not appear to be due to any difference in user access or
> mapping.  I set everything up through folders and files that all users
> have access to.
>
> I can't figure out why it only works for me.  Is the query set up by
> the wizzard somehow tied to the user?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave.
>

> --
> devbox
> devbox's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=20047
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=500533

Yep, I am using the \\servername\foldername\MyDatabase.mdb path and this
works fine for me but it does not refresh for the other users.

They get the "[Microsoft][OBDC Microsoft Access Driver] Disk or Network
Error"

--
devbox
devbox's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=20047
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=500533

Well....I searched Google for your error and got this MS link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q251254/

I hope that helps.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Coderre
Ron Coderre's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21419

Well, I have found that it is not related just to the user but the
computer that I set up the query on.  It works fine on whatever
computer I set up the query with, but gives me the error above even if
I logon and attempt to refresh the data on another system.

I have tried the database query, basic import (OLE DB query), and even
recorded a macro.  They all work fine on whatever system I use to set
it up, but produce the above error on other systems.

I am using the full path and everything should work.  Looks like I am
going to have to learn some VBA and try some kind of other code
solution. :confused:

--
devbox
devbox's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=20047
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=500533

I finally found my problem was really with the path after all.  I foun
many different ways to import data that I cound get to work because o
the path.  Now everything works fine.  Painfull learning experience! :

--
devbo
devbox's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2004
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=50053

External emails not getting to client
Hi, I have Exchange 2003 Enterprise running on Windows 2003 Server. I have 1 user thats not able to receive external emails. Internal emails are okay, but nothing from outside. I used the message tracking center to track specific external emails, and they were received by the Exch Server but the email is not appearing in Outlook or even OWA. The last entry in the message history is "SMTP Store Driver: Message delivered locally to store to User@domain.com. Any ideas? Thanks 1. Use EXMERGE and extract his mailbox to a PST file 2. Delete the mailbox and purge from System M...

Unable to see Tasks in PWA when 2 or More Users Assigned to Task
We are using MS Project Server Professional 2007 (and PWA) SP1 We have been using a project for some time with no issues, however, recently when a task has two users assigned, these users are unable to see the task in the My Tasks list in PWA(although it shows correctly in Professional). It seems that this is happening when a second user is assigned to an already existing task. We have not yet narrowed this down to just being one project, but other projects on the server do not seem to experience this problem. We have not made any permission changes or any other setting changes. ...

WSS 3 on SBS2003: SP2 break users authorization... :-(
I installed WSS3 "syde by syde" on a new SBS2003 server, leaving (how suggested me by Larry & Lanwench) WSS2 running. All worked fine but yesterday windows update install the WSS3 SP2 and the WSS2 SP3 on server. After install, the new wss3 site is no more accessible , companyweb work without problem. Trying to access the site (http://servername:6000) , i receive this error: HTTP 401.1 Error - Operation not authorized. Access deny because not valid credentials (bad translations from Italian!). I tried to enable anonymous access and add domani users and everyon...

Users unable to receive external mail
Hi there, At the beguining, when I started to post on this group I was having problems to install the exchange 2003 server. Now the problem is other. I finally intalled the exchange and configure it to send internal mails and its working fine. But now, my boss ask me to configure it to send and receive external mail and I did so. the is that users can send external mail but cannot receive. I don't know what is the problem. Please can anyone help me? thanks, shayras On 18 Jul 2006 10:30:12 -0700, shayras2004@yahoo.com.br wrote: >Hi there, > >At the beguining, when I sta...

Combining an update query with a parameter query
I wanted to know how you can update data in a table using the update query and a parameter query. How did you want to run this update query? In query design, you can just put your parameter in the query. To run it programmatically, you can then use RunSQL in a macro or code. A better programmatic approach might be to build the SQL statement in code, concatenating the parameter value into the string. Then Execute the string itself: you don't need a saved query. The advantage is that you know whether it worked or not. Here's an example: Action queries: suppressing dialogs, whi...

copying user smartlist settings
Hi all, Recently I went through a process of copying the security settings from one user to another which included using PSTL to copy the shortcuts as well. However the smartlist settings don't copy from one user to the other. Is there a hotfix or something I need to do this? I looked at the smartlist builder and it doesn't offer the option to copy the settings from one to another. Thanks, -- Jim -- Jim Bourque Jim, try using the Advanced Security to copy the SmartList setting from one user to the other. Hope this helps, rc "Jim B" wrote: > Hi all, > >...

Cannot create user mailbox
Hell I'm using Exch2003 on top of W2003 server For some unknown reason, I can't seem to create mailbox for new users. Usually, the process is rather painless, just right click on the user then exchange task, follow the prompt...but no matter what I try, the new mail box address simply refuse to appear in the global address list when the user click on 'to' fro mthe client sid any help is great hel Thank TT If you look at the properties for the user in Active Directory Users and Computers and click on the EMail Address tab, do they have an SMTP address listed? If they dont,...

External LDAP
Our Outlook clients perform LDAP queries for addresses on an external server and I'd like to provide this functionality through OWA. I don't see any Exchange-specific connector and think I might need to configure AD to perform external LDAD referral. If this won't work for OWA then I'd rather drop the idea. Thanks. http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en -us/distrib/dsbc_nar_gzoq.asp You can use MIIS to synchronize LDAP directories users/contacts to Active Dir...

two users
In OE I have two identities, mine and my wifes. I want to do the same in Outlook, but I can't see how? ed See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/olshare1.htm navigator wrote: > In OE I have two identities, mine and my wifes. I want > to do the same in Outlook, but I can't see how? > > ed ...

WNetGetUniversalName does not work
I have a mapped path and I want to get the actual network path that it refers to. For example, if I have "Z:\" I want to see that it connects to: "\\some_server\Test" So I'm using the poorly documented WNetGetUniversalName function and it fails every damn time I use it. The function returns a success, but the output information is bad. In a couple examples of source I expanded my output string and found that the first 4 characters are garbage but the following characters represent the string that I expect. What's the deal with that? I have XP Pro-SP2 Could so...

Error #-2147217843 Login Failed for user 'sa'
(Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server) (SQL State: 4200) (NativeError: 18456) No help file available. What the heck is going on? I have installed RMS on my personal computer, and I have been using that for a couple of weeks just to see if there were going to be any problems in regards to installing 1.3 and this is what is comming up all of a sudden, WHY??? -- Thank You,; Vince Vince, When are you getting this message? Sounds like you've entered the wrong password for the database. Go to SO Administrator | File | Connect | make sure that server says (local), use SQL Au...

Database is not listed in ODBC to default
Hi! I am trying to create a ODBC and default the Database in order for this ODBC to use in Crysral Reports, but I could see all Databases except the one I am looking for. I am using Windows Authentication and Namedpipes in the settings and necessary access has been given in SQL for this Windows user. I've tried even creating a new ODBC, it doesn't show the database that I'm looking for. Does any one experienced this before? Regards, Venkata N M Punugu If you are using Windows authentication, make sure the Windows user is added to the database. -- Charles Allen, MVP ...

can i import a database from access into visio #2
im want to import a database from access to visio in hopes it will draw my er digram for me. any syggestions? ...

converting 1.x database to 2.0 from DOS files
I saved the 1.x database on floppies. Now I need the database again and need to upgrade it. How do I copy the floppies with the 1.x database so that it will work with access 2.0 in an XP pro environment? ...

Query/Expression Help Required!
Hello, i would appreciate any help in regards to the problem i am having. I will try and explain it to the best of my ability (im a newbie to Access 2000) Here is a snipt of the information i have extracted via a query. I have been able to work out Duration via a calculation. "Agent Pin" "Start Time" "AUX Name" "End Time" "Duration" "7015" "13:45:21" "After Call Work" "13:54:18" "537" "7015" "14:30:25" "After Call Work" "14:31:03" &...

Import text file using a wildcard
I am running the following code to import all text files that all start with the same 12 characters: ' Set the parameters to import the text file If Right(Me!txtFilePath, 1) = "\" Then strPath = \\mdb8\Global Else strPath = \\mdb8\Global& "\" End If strFileName = "GlobalImport*.txt" If FileExists(strPath & strFileName) = False Then msgbox "File " & strPath & strFileName & " Does not exist!", vbCritical + vbOKOnly, "No File..." GoTo ExitImpor...

Import text file in UTF-8 format to Excel 2000
Hello, When I open a text file(in UTF-8 format)under excel 2000, the chinese character cannot be displayed correctly. But this text file can be opened directly in word 2000. Can anyone help me? Thanks! Irene ...

Where condition on a query in VBA
Hey there, Is it possible to have a where condition on a query in VBA? I am opening a recordset based on my query and wanted to add a where condition on the product type as we have many products. So here is my statement: Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("qryPromotions", dbOpenDynaset, dbSeeChanges) I want to add "where ProdType = DI" Then after I am done the processing needed for this recordset, I want to open another one, based on the same query, but for a different ProdType. I don't want to have to create 10 different queries for 10 different ProdTypes, ...

import csv and parse?
Hi everyone, You've been a great help to me in the past. I hope someone can here too. I have a database to which I would like to import data from a csv file. Each csv file has about 30 different fields separated by commas. I want to add only two of those fields to my database. How do I do this? Or does somebody know of a tutorial that might help? Thanks, Dave B You can make an import spec & skip the fields that way - or - import into a temp table & run an Append query on that Pieter "Dave" <Dave.Beaune@lhsc.on.ca> wrote in message news:1189619066.742172.29...

Import text into existing slides
I am using PowerPoint 2007 to modify an existing PowerPoint show of 300 slides with photos and notes on each one. I want to add text titles and subtitles from a Word outline document into placeholders on each slide without affecting the existing photos or notes. "Import from Outline" from Word seems to only insert new slides in sequence but doesn't import into existing.slides. I've tried using Shyam Pillai's "Transfer Title Slides" but unfortunately it only transfers titles without subtitles. I've been using keystroke macro software as a work-arou...

Excel Data Connections to Access Queries: Limits?
I have an Access 2007 database with data connections to: + Sharepoint Lists + SMS SQL tables/views I've written Access queries that use tables from those data connections. I want to use Excel to connect to those queries in the Access database to run various reports (such as charts, lists, etc...) However, I'm having 2 problems: 1) In Excel, when I go to Data / Get External Data / From Access, I cannot see all of the queries listed in the Access Database. 2) The queries I do see only return a small subset of records. (I've tested the query within Access, and I should get 17...

Import stock prices
I use MSMoney 2002 and I would like to import a file with prices of shares. Is it possible ? Not really. it's possible to use a macro program to enter the quotes individually, but that might be more trouble than it's worth. You might also want to know that Money will download up to 6 months of quotes for US securities when they're added to the file. -- Will you sponsor me in the Tour de Cure? http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=personal&fr_id=1058&px=1626087 "Wellington Martins" <wellingtonmartins@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:507a7f4c.0307190913.5...

List of PDK users, Managers, Supervisors
I've searched in PDK and BP and can't find a report, or query that lists my PDK employees and their supervisor/manager. Does any such thing exist? ...

can i user exchange 2007 client acc & 2003 mailbox?
i have exchange 2003.i would like to install exchange 2007 client access and leave my mailbox on exchange 2003.would i be able to use new owa? No, clients will see the OWA 2003 (or OWA 2000 if the mailbox sits on an Exchange 2000 mailbox server). -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "sham" <shamun@mekorot.co.il> wrote in message news:envBPoGJHHA.2236@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >i have exchange 2003.i would like to install exchange 2007 client access >and > le...

additional method of online help for CRM3.0 user definition entiti
Hi all. I have a question about an additional method of online help for CRM3.0 user definition entities. A user definition entity (object_type_code:10000) and made an OnLineHelpFile (test.htm) which supported. In addition, I add following two lines to help_toc.xml. <page pro="true" sbe="true" topic="helptest" filename="/userdefined/edit.aspx?etc=10000">Customized Form Help</page> <page pro="true" sbe="true" topic="helptest" filename="/_root/homepage.aspx?etc=10000">Customized Form View Hel...