Import external data-text files but placed in the next column rather than next empty row

I want to import text files in to one worksheet. The text files are sent
daily and all the same format. However the text file names change buy an
incremental number.

Is it possible to create a macro that imports these text files,
ignoring their exact filename but from the same source directory into
one worksheet. Can you use wild cards for the name e.g. "********.txt"?

At the moment I can manually do this, by selecting the cell below the
last record then using  the process "Get external Data" and following
the wizard which works fine.

As soon as I try to create a macro to automate the above simple
procedure, the import of the text file is inserted at the next empty
column rather than the next empty row.

Can this be resolved

Thanks in advanced

Martin

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

how do you merge the next record in publisher
I am trying to print off some invitations. There are two invitations per page. I will merge the addresses, but how do you get publisher to print the next record. I don't want the same name and address on each invitation. If you a viewing this in the print preview, it will look as though it will print all the same. A bug... The merge will work. Do a test run. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "maria" <maria@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C1ACD47A-D410-48EE-B220-0964128BB561@mi...

hide a row
I have a worksheet with information in column A and B. If Column B has no information I want to do nothing, but if there is something in Column B, I would like to hide the row. Is this possable in an if statement? Hi not possible with a formula. This would require VBA -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Bob" <bobolah@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:OSOK8hisEHA.2556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I have a worksheet with information in column A and B. > > If Column B has no information I want to do nothing, but if there is > something in Column B, ...

Maximum file sizes

Auto transfer of row
I have a list of components to be ordered in each row is a cell with order number entered in it. What I want is to copy the row to anothe sheet (which is to be displayed at goods) when the order number i entered in that cell. Is this possible? many thanks for any help -- alanle ----------------------------------------------------------------------- alanled's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3094 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=57297 this could be acheived by using VLOOKUP function. if you want a perfect soluti...

find action on log file

More Columns #2

Unable to delete empty database

NDRs forwarding to external contact

File size #11

Linking files 2 ways

How to repair a .dll file in IE8

Using Relative path for XML data file?

RMS V2 and QSC Import
I have successfully imported several of my customers products using the QSC Import tool as a test but am unable to import the items with any association with sales tax? The default Sales Tax is TAX which is what I plan on using but once imported it creates a new item code TAX so now I have two? I plan on importing several hundred products and any help would be much appreciated. -Jess Reference- https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/products/rms/downloads/releases/rms_so_importutility.htm i use the same tool but i dont tell the import utility anything about tax. import the items witho...

Pulling data from separate tabs

Columns #4
My columns in Excel have disappeared how do I get them back? Hi Me! I'm just guessing what you mean. Use: Tools > Options > General Remove check from "R1C1 reference style" OK -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good homes. "me" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:12D9050B-079C-476D-B5B6-84445F60EA51@microsoft.com... > My columns in Excel have disappeared how do I get them back? Another gue...

data sort

CSV Files and VLOOKUP error

predict future data