if function - evaluating 2 cells - help

Hello,

I am trying to do this:
=IF(A5=B5,OK,NOTOK)

It does not seem to like that I am evaluating 2 cells.  This works:
=IF(A5=100,OK,NOTOK)

How do I do what I want here?

Thanks!

t3513 (3)
11/18/2004 7:57:25 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi
are your sure both cellsare really indetical. what is in these cells

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

News==----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
120,000+ Newsgroups
=----

0
frank.kabel (11126)
11/18/2004 8:05:04 PM
No, that's why I am evaluating them.  I forgot to say that it is
returning #NAME?

These cells contain numbers.  I want to know if they are the same or
not. and if not, place some text in a different cell....

Frank Kabel wrote:
> Hi
> are your sure both cellsare really indetical. what is in these cells
>
> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
>
> "Terry" <t3513@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I am trying to do this:
>>=IF(A5=B5,OK,NOTOK)
>>
>>It does not seem to like that I am evaluating 2 cells.  This works:
>>=IF(A5=100,OK,NOTOK)
>>
>>How do I do what I want here?
>>
>>Thanks!

> News==----
>
>>http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>
> 120,000+ Newsgroups
>
>>----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
>
> =----

t3513 (3)
11/18/2004 8:13:05 PM
Hi
=IF(A5=B5,"OK","NOTOK")

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

"Terry" <t3513@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to do this:
> =IF(A5=B5,OK,NOTOK)
>
> It does not seem to like that I am evaluating 2 cells.  This works:
> =IF(A5=100,OK,NOTOK)
>
> How do I do what I want here?
>
> Thanks!

News==----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
120,000+ Newsgroups
=----

0
frank.kabel (11126)
11/18/2004 8:17:45 PM
Ahh, the quotes tell excel that its a string...got it, thanks!

Frank Kabel wrote:
> Hi
> =IF(A5=B5,"OK","NOTOK")
>
> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
>
> "Terry" <t3513@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I am trying to do this:
>>=IF(A5=B5,OK,NOTOK)
>>
>>It does not seem to like that I am evaluating 2 cells.  This works:
>>=IF(A5=100,OK,NOTOK)
>>
>>How do I do what I want here?
>>
>>Thanks!

> News==----
>
>>http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>
> 120,000+ Newsgroups
>
>>----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
>
> =----

t3513 (3)
11/18/2004 8:21:11 PM
=IF(A3=B3,"OK","NOTOK") you need the quotation marks.

I cut and pasted your formula into Excel 2002 SP3 with the same results
#NAME.
I entered the formula with the function wizard and it added the quotes. It
worked for me.

"Terry" <t3513@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:419cffe8_5@127.0.0.1...
> No, that's why I am evaluating them.  I forgot to say that it is
> returning #NAME?
>
> These cells contain numbers.  I want to know if they are the same or
> not. and if not, place some text in a different cell....
>

> Frank Kabel wrote:
> > Hi
> > are your sure both cellsare really indetical. what is in these cells
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> > Frank Kabel
> > Frankfurt, Germany
> >
> > "Terry" <t3513@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> >
> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>I am trying to do this:
> >>=IF(A5=B5,OK,NOTOK)
> >>
> >>It does not seem to like that I am evaluating 2 cells.  This works:
> >>=IF(A5=100,OK,NOTOK)
> >>
> >>How do I do what I want here?
> >>
> >>Thanks!

> > News==----
> >
> >>http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> >
> > 120,000+ Newsgroups
> >
> >>----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
> >
> > =----

News==----
Newsgroups

no1 (201)

Rollup 2 and Office 2007

if cell starts with characters formula
Hi I need to count cells in a column starting with certain characters. each cell's data varies in length. I have tried with @countif( but does not work if the cell contains other characters after the "prefix". eg. row 20 cell 5 apples row 21 cell 5 apples red row 22 cell 5 apples green row 23 cell 5 plums green row 23 cell 5 plums purple totals required for apples = 3 (regardless of colour) total required for plums = 2 (regardless of colour) @countif(C20:c30,"plums") gives answer of 1 require answer of 2 @countif(C20:c30,&quo...

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Microsoft POS #2

move cell contents

Lookup based on criteria in 2 columns

function to check for entry
I'll try and make this as clear as I can... I am looking for a function that will check column b,c,d,e for an entr if there is an entry then check row n in the same row for it's value. that's the first bit, then I need to be able to check the date valu (month) in column a and total it for the month. perhaps I could run the first function only looking for month=1 o something and just run it 12 times? not sure how to go about this -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com well I've got this far but it still doesn't work and gives an error: =IF(MONTH(A3:A167)=4,...

Using part of a cell in a chart title

visible cell only

Need help with Auto Filter

Help with income/expenses

help with simple maths in excel

Need Query Help

Excel Problem

Please ignore #2

Can anyone help ?

matching contents #2

Looking for help on timing within a function
At the facility I work, our associates use a very basic access database to sign out individual work orders on an interval of around every 12 minutes. They have asked if it would be possible to put a timer on the front page of the database to show how long they have been working on the current work order, updating each time they sing out another order. I am not very adept at access nor is the rest of our management staff. Is it possible to add this function, so they can better keep time of their work being done? Use the Form Timer event. Here is an example of how it can be done. In this ex...

Help with a simple database
I am attempting to use Excel to develop a simple database for my office. The database basically lists a variety of orders purchased from various vendors, and my goal is to categorize and sort each vendor seperately. For example: GC Group 4/24/03 7831.1 $1,000.00 Alpha 1/20/03 7003.1 $2,000.00 Chandler 5/6/03 7050.1 $345.50 Is what the main chart looks like. Now, what I'm trying to accomplish is, suppose I added Tomsen 4/20/03 7873.1 $200.00 to the very bottom, Excel would automatically create a new tab (or even worksheet, if possible) tit...

HELP! remote data not accessible msg