IF formula needs to read only values, not formulas

I have an IF formula down column F, and am trying to read the results with
another IF formula in column G:
=IF(F5 > 1/32, "Yes", "")
But the formula in column G gives "Yes" when the cell in column F is filled
only with the formula, not a result.

How can I make this work?

Ed

0
ed_millis (164)
10/18/2006 8:14:23 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Ed,

Please tell us what the exact formulas in F and G are; that is not clear from your post.
What are the values involved? Are any of the columns formatted as Text before you entered the formulas?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Ed" <ed_millis@NO_SPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OOKUBIv8GHA.4808@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
|I have an IF formula down column F, and am trying to read the results with
| another IF formula in column G:
| =IF(F5 > 1/32, "Yes", "")
| But the formula in column G gives "Yes" when the cell in column F is filled
| only with the formula, not a result.
|
| How can I make this work?
|
| Ed

0
nicolaus (2022)
10/18/2006 8:36:51 PM
What you descibe should work fine, at least if column F has a number,
and not text that looks like a number.

Dom

Ed wrote:
> I have an IF formula down column F, and am trying to read the results with
> another IF formula in column G:
> =IF(F5 > 1/32, "Yes", "")
> But the formula in column G gives "Yes" when the cell in column F is filled
> only with the formula, not a result.
>
> How can I make this work?
>
> Ed

Hi, Niek.
In F I have:
=IF(E53<>"",SUM(B53,E53),"")
The cells in F are formatted as Fraction.

The forumla in G is:
=IF(F53>1/32, "Yes","")
Those cells actually have a Custom format of 0.0_)
I have no idea what that means, as I didn't out it there.  The only thing
that would go down that column is text.

Ed

"Niek Otten" <nicolaus@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> Hi Ed,
>
> Please tell us what the exact formulas in F and G are; that is not clear
> from your post.
> What are the values involved? Are any of the columns formatted as Text
> before you entered the formulas?
>
> --
> Kind regards,
>
> Niek Otten
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
>
> "Ed" <ed_millis@NO_SPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> |I have an IF formula down column F, and am trying to read the results
> with
> | another IF formula in column G:
> | =IF(F5 > 1/32, "Yes", "")
> | But the formula in column G gives "Yes" when the cell in column F is
> filled
> | only with the formula, not a result.
> |
> | How can I make this work?
> |
> | Ed

0
ed_millis (164)

Fix #VALUE! error
I need a fix to a simple formula where a cell is not being recongized. example below: cell C1 has 88 in it with no visible formula cell E1 - I put in formula =product(C1,2080) returned 2080 as the solution but should have been 183040 "Charles" <Charles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E3567F0A-328A-4E66-8729-9B1A44CD30CE@microsoft.com... > I need a fix to a simple formula where a cell is not being recongized. > example below: > cell C1 has 88 in it with no visible formula > cell E1 - I put in formula =product(C1,2080) > returned 2...

"If in last week" formula
I have a number of simple two column sheets, one column contains dates. Basically each sheet is an employee, and the items list the date and notes for any "one on one meetings" that I have with that employee. I want to have a summary sheet that lets me know when the most recent meeting was. I think it would be ideal to check sheet1-5, if date is older than 1 week, output false or true. I can't find any formula example on the net that uses dates as a condition of true or false. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Does =IF(A1<(TODAY()-7),true,false) work for what ...

how do i find a true value between two different times e.g. 4:15
i would like to find the exact value between two different time in hours and minutes e.g. 4:15 (4 hours 15 minutes) and not 4:42 (4.42 hours) for example. Subtract them! An example: Enter 8:45 in A1 and 5:15 in A2. Enter the formula =A1-A2 in A3 and, voila, the answer is 3:30. Excel will automatically assign the time format to A3 if it has the General number format. -- Jim "Chris01623" <Chris01623@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CF16BD54-CC0C-4188-B18D-1C3CE871D95A@microsoft.com... |i would like to find the exact value between two different time in h...

reading html email
I sent an html email from a web based account to my outlook 2002 account. The problem is that outlook 2002 isn't rendering the html, but showing only the code. How can I get it to render in my outlook account? Thanks, Chad ...

Create a Variable from First 4-5 chars of a existing value ??
In a current table, the values in a particular field are all items like: MD45 Tuesday PM or TX341 Friday AM or FL12 Monday PM ...in other words...2 parts seperated by a space. The first part is always a State Abbrv. followed by either a 2 or 3 char. number. That first part will always be 4-5 characters long (or...everthing before the first Space). I'm needing to create a varible that is the First Part of the existing value.. ..in other words...the variable would need to be (from the above examples)... MD45 or TX341 or FL12 I'm kind of familiar with LEFT command. Would usin...

first value of the month from a list of dates
Hello gurus, I've read through a list of message thread, and you guys are wonderfu ! . Experts !. Anyway, I hope somebody can help me with this problem. I have a list of share prices together with the dates. (about 20 to 2 dates in a month). How do i extract out the first day of every month from a list o database of 3 years (day by day) ? I think hard, but no avail. Help... -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi one way: - add a helper colum adjacent to your data list (lets say column C) - in C1 enter the formula: =DAY(A1) ->if column A stores your dates - copy do...

Liaison Messenger vs. Forms Printer opinions needed
Hey everybody - Can somebody give me some review of which product they prefer? We need to send out invoices from GP with excel attachment and both of these products look like they can do the job. Any suggestions? Hi-- I don't have as strong opinion, but i have worked with Liaison Messenger mostly. It is easy to use and pretty functional and the support is fabulous. My only issue (or thing that you need to be aware of) is how it is structured. The machine the runs the server application has to be logged in (it can be logged in and locked) with the server app and outlook launched for ...

How do I Define A specific a value?
How do I define 3 identical values in a cell or individual cells as 3 and 2 of 3 identitical values as value 2 and 0 of 3 values equal to 1 like the following examples: 777 = 3 277 = 2 247 = 1 and so on.......... ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ If I understand you correctly, I believe a VLOOKUP formula will do what you want....... Create a RangeName of your values down one column and the digets you would like to represent them in the next column t...

How can I apply rules on read email only?
I have an extenive list of mail sorts, but I would like them to run only after I have read my mail. I also have screening tools for deletes, and junk mail and presorts for mail that I don't reglarly read. In order to sort the read mail now, I have to manuallly got into rules and turn on the rules for one pass on the mail at the end ot the day to pick up the mail that I have read. It would be nice to be able to "turn on all rules now" or to have them automaically screen the read mail when I start up Outlook. Any workarounds for this? I am just a few months into using Outlo...

Reading one Record at a time till i reach EOF in VC++ using ODBC
Hi, i am working on Vc++6.0. I hve a req where in i need to read one record at a time till i reach EOF from the database.Can anyone tell me how to do this Very urgent Thanks Use CDatabase and CRecordSet classes. // Embed a CDatabase object // in your document class CDatabase m_dbCust; // Connect the object to a // read-only data source where // the ODBC connection dialog box // will always remain hidden m_dbCust.OpenEx( _T( "DSN=MYDATASOURCE;UID=JOES" ), CDatabase::openReadOnly | CDatabase::noOdbcDialog ); CRecordSet rs;rs.m_pDatabase=&m_db...

Formulas not automatcially calculating on spreadsheet
Hi, I ahve a problem with a spreadsheet that was moved from one folder to another. In the cells are numerous formula's referencing values in other spreadsheets. These values are all (incorrectly) listed as 0. If you click on the cell and press enter, then the values are then inserted. Likewise if you manually type in the reference the correct value is also inserted. I hope I've explained this well! There are 1000s of these cells so clicking on each one would be quite a chore. TIA, H Tools | Options, Calculation tab. Make sure that calculation is set to automatic. -- Message...

Do I need to run eseutil?
Was reviewing 1221 events in application log and spotted a jump in available space from 500MB to about 3000MB in one night. Recently ran eseutil against the database. Does this jump in free space mean I may need to run it again? No, it just means you wasted your time the last time you ran it. I see no reason to run an offline defrag unless you are out of disk space and have no other options, are running against the 16GB standard limit or have moved a "substantial" number of mailboxes and created a large amount of white space in the database. On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:55:08 -0700, ...

How to read floats?
Hi, My program crash below. Can you tell my why? The number in the input file to be read is -1.6762924E-05 (or -40.78799). Thanks for your help. Tony float dx; fscanf(pFile, "%f", &dx); // pFile is non-Null >float dx; >fscanf(pFile, "%f", &dx); // pFile is non-Null Tony, %f expects a double not a float. Dave -- MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq Actually, if you check MSDN on scanf/fscanf '%f' takes a "pointer to float", not double. If you want to read in a double, use '%lf'. David Lowndes wrote: > %f expec...

PWA 2007 Database Field for Tasks Updates That Need to be Submitte
Does anyone know what project server database table and field that could be used in a custom report to tell which task assignment updates that have been saved but still need to be submitted to the project manager? Gary ...

Read only access based on drop down box....
Hello. I have a table Calls in our contacts database. The table contains the following fields: CallDateTime (txtbox) CallType (combobox) Initials (txtbox): I have two departments that want to use the same Contacts database. However, each department wants to enter Calls in the calls table and have read only access to the other departments data in the table based on a drop down value in one of the fields. Each department has their own CallTypes that they are responsible for. Is it possible to have them enter in the same subform but have write and read access to the call types they are s...

Help
Hi guys! I need a formula that does this: OK I'm going to draw a spreadsheet ......A..........B...... 1..100.....dog.... 2..150...<blank> 3..200......cat..... so all I want is a formula that looks in Column B and if there is ANY text at all, returns the value in Column A So I want it to look into B1 and it will see text there and return "100", but if it looks in B2 and sees that it is blank, it just won't return anything. Can I do this? Seems like it would be a combination of IF and LOOKUP or something. Thank you. -- Bran987 ----------------------------------...

Adding row's with formula
How can I allow users to insert row's with the formula added automaticly without unprotecting sheet regards Chris Like your previous post while protecting the worksheet check the Insert Rows Checkbox and enter your protection password and give ok. So the users are not required to unprotect the workbook for inserting rows. Alt+T+P+P>>Allow All User of this Worksheet to:>>Check the Insert Rows check box About the filling of Formula to a newly added row should be done manually by pressing Cntrl+D or you should go for macro solution. Remember to Click Yes, ...

Outlook2003 Mark as read when deleted
Whenever we delete emails while they are strill bolded in the inbox they remain bolded in the deleted items folder, whereas in Office XP they were marked as read when they were deleted. Any suggestions/settings I can change. Paul Paul <kristypaul20012@hotmail.com> wrote: > Whenever we delete emails while they are strill bolded in the inbox > they remain bolded in the deleted items folder, whereas in Office XP > they were marked as read when they were deleted. Any > suggestions/settings I can change. If there were marked as read under OL 2002, then perhaps you had the pr...

value error #2
IF(U4="","",IF(U4<'MDA Portfolio Summary'!H3,('MDA Portfolio Summary'!H3-MDA Portfolio Summary'!G3)*(K4:K39),IF(U4>'MDA Portfolio Summary'!J3,('MDA Portfolio Summary'!G3-'MDA Portfolio Summary'!J3)*(K4:K39),""))) i am trying to have the difference of H3 and G3 if it is lower or higher, but i get a value error not sure what is wrong thanks anyone The formula you have is an array formula with the bit *(K4:K39) Did you mean this to be the sum(K4:K39), if so enter it accordingly, i you did want it as an array fo...

Chasing formulas
I have a workbook of several daily reports. There is a summary sheet that I wish to reference the last daily report even when I add one on. Is there a "Last Sheet" function I can use? -- Curious Check this out, Don. It should be exactly what you need. http://www.officearticles.com/excel/sum_the_same_cell_in_multiple_microsoft_excel_worksheets.htm ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "DonB" <DonB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C604CF93-C6BE-4068-A5BC-FB5C9FF0E49B@microsoft.com... >I have a workbook of several daily reports. There ...

I Need Script create account email
Hello partners and happy year, to have if you can throw a help. Am I looking for a script automatically to create mail bills in Outlook 2003, that is to say, to pass him/her a script to a commercial one that requests him/her user / password - POP Servant / SMTP and does the bill believe, is it possible to locate him in some place?. There is looking for for Google and I don't see na. ...

Auto Extend Formulas doesn't work for a particular formula
I'm using Excel 2003 and in a particular worksheet, the Auto Extend Formulas doesn't work on a particular formula. I've turned on the Auto Extend option and it does work on another formula in the same worksheet. The problematic formula is: =WEEKNUM(DATEVALUE(TEXT(A165,"dd/mm")),2)-37+52 Can someone kindly help explain why there's a problem here? What do you have in A165. "niwrad" <niwrad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A7EC7AB7-58B3-4171-8EF7-C236FBE502FE@microsoft.com... > I'm using Excel 2003 and in a particular works...

cell ranges in formulas
When referencing a cell range in a formula, is there a way to represent the cell range by referencing another cell. What I want to do is this, for example: say cells a1 thru a100 contain a number of values. I want to sum a certain subset of these today, but tomorrow I want to change that subset, so I'd like to enter the starting and ending point for my sum range into another cell, say b1 & b2 So if I enter the text "a6" in cell b1, and "a25" in cell b2, my sum formula should look like =sum(a6:a25). This give me the flexibility to change my sumrange very e...

Incorrect answer for the formula
Hello freinds, I was working on a file which has numeric data in columns A, B, C & D consisting of about 1000 rows. (say from row 1 to row 1000). I needed to compare whether all numbers in the particular row are same across the columns. This means that the number in cell A1, B1, C1 and D1 or in cell A15, B15, C15 & D15 should be same. If they are different then I wanted to know about them separately. So, I entered following formula in cell E1: IF((A1+B1+C1+D1)/4- A1=0,"OK","DIFFERENCE")and then copied it down. This formula gave unexpected results in some ...

Zero Values in Chart
Can anyone please tell me how to stop a chart from displaying zero values. EX: 10 x axis entries but only the first 5 contain non-zero values. Thanks in advance.... Russ If the cells are truly blanks, try Tools menu > Options > Chart tab > Show blank cells as... Not Plotted. If the cells only look like blanks, such as formulas that return "", change the "" to NA(): =IF(A1>0,A1,NA()) The NA() produces an ugly #N/A error in the sheet, but in line and scatter charts they aren't plotted. Debra Dalgleish shows how to hide the errors with conditional f...