I need assistance on Rand() and Combo box in '97

To begin with I apologize for the cross posting, but I am new to these
groups, and an not sure of the protocols.  I am attempting to do several
things with a spreadsheet.  For background info, the purpose of the
spreadsheet is to assist in the running of a PBeM version of a  wargame
called Battletech.  Here are the two things I need assistance for:

Drop-down Listbox within the spreadsheet.
    There are 3 different arrays of data that I would like to be able to
access as a dropdown list to fill a cell.  I have figured out how to do
this, on an individual basis.  My question is, can the same combo box be use
multiple times, without hving to manually edit its details for each cell I
want to be filed by the same information choices (S,M, or L)?  I wish to use
the same information choices 84 on different cells, across 8 worksheets,
within the same workbook, with another 178 cells having a Y(es)/N(o) option
set, and 120 cells having the choice between (W?R/J/M).  Nedless to say,
manually editing almost 400 listboxes is not somehting I am going to do for
a hobby.  Is there a way to copy a combo box around the worksheet and have
its cell referevce change to match the new location?

Random number generation
    I was able to get a cell to generate a random number between 2 and 12
simulating the results of 2 six sided dice.using the function
ROUNDUP(RAND()*6+1)+ROUNDUP(RAND()*6+1) .  Unfortunatly it creates a new
random number each time the worksheet recalculates.  Ideally I would like to
be able to select a cell (or range of cells), activate a button, and have
the cells be filled with the randomly generated numbers, that are specified
in another cell's location.  The filled cells would then be non-volitile.  I
assume that it would be possible using VBA, but what I know about VBA would
fill a thimble, with room left over.  I hope that makes sense.  I am trying
to simulate dice rolls. so being able to specify # of dice, and sides of
dice being rolled is needed (probability distribution needs to be
maintained).

ANY assistance would be greatly appreciated as I am at a dead end on both of
these issues.  If anyolne who can help would be willing to do so via
straight email it would be best as these groups are extremely busy and
monitoring them for responses will be hard, but done.  If you need
additional information, I can always email a copy of the spreadsheet(s), or
a version is available on kazaa under the filename
BattleTech - GM - Combat Tracker v1.0.xls

Thank You

0
Adam
11/20/2005 1:00:56 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Adam,

For the combo-box, try using Data Validation.  You can allow any of a number
of values from a list, set the input message, the error message, etc.

For the Rand() problem, you could use two named cells "Sides" and "Dies",
where you enter the number of sides of each die, and the number of dies.
Then use a macro like this, assigned to a button, simulate the toss, which
will fill the selected cells with the values calculated:

Sub DiceToss()
Dim myCell As Range
Dim Sides As Integer
Dim Dies As Integer
Dim i As Integer
Dim myTemp As Integer

Sides = Range("Sides").Value
Dies = Range("Dies").Value
For Each myCell In Selection
    Randomize
    myTemp = 0
    For i = 1 To Dies
    myTemp = myTemp + Application.RoundUp(Rnd() * Sides, 0)
    Next i
    myCell.Value = myTemp
Next myCell
End Sub

Note that you don't want to add 1 to the result of the rand *6, since the
roundup means that it could actually be seven.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Adam Kroger @hotmail.com>" <adam_kroger<nospam> wrote in message
> To begin with I apologize for the cross posting, but I am new to these
> groups, and an not sure of the protocols.  I am attempting to do several
> things with a spreadsheet.  For background info, the purpose of the
> spreadsheet is to assist in the running of a PBeM version of a  wargame
> called Battletech.  Here are the two things I need assistance for:
>
> Drop-down Listbox within the spreadsheet.
>    There are 3 different arrays of data that I would like to be able to
> access as a dropdown list to fill a cell.  I have figured out how to do
> this, on an individual basis.  My question is, can the same combo box be
> use multiple times, without hving to manually edit its details for each
> cell I want to be filed by the same information choices (S,M, or L)?  I
> wish to use the same information choices 84 on different cells, across 8
> worksheets, within the same workbook, with another 178 cells having a
> Y(es)/N(o) option set, and 120 cells having the choice between (W?R/J/M).
> Nedless to say, manually editing almost 400 listboxes is not somehting I
> am going to do for a hobby.  Is there a way to copy a combo box around the
> worksheet and have its cell referevce change to match the new location?
>
> Random number generation
>    I was able to get a cell to generate a random number between 2 and 12
> simulating the results of 2 six sided dice.using the function
> ROUNDUP(RAND()*6+1)+ROUNDUP(RAND()*6+1) .  Unfortunatly it creates a new
> random number each time the worksheet recalculates.  Ideally I would like
> to be able to select a cell (or range of cells), activate a button, and
> have the cells be filled with the randomly generated numbers, that are
> specified in another cell's location.  The filled cells would then be
> non-volitile.  I assume that it would be possible using VBA, but what I
> know about VBA would fill a thimble, with room left over.  I hope that
> makes sense.  I am trying to simulate dice rolls. so being able to specify
> # of dice, and sides of dice being rolled is needed (probability
> distribution needs to be maintained).
>
> ANY assistance would be greatly appreciated as I am at a dead end on both
> of these issues.  If anyolne who can help would be willing to do so via
> straight email it would be best as these groups are extremely busy and
> monitoring them for responses will be hard, but done.  If you need
> additional information, I can always email a copy of the spreadsheet(s),
> or a version is available on kazaa under the filename
> BattleTech - GM - Combat Tracker v1.0.xls
>
> Thank You

0
Bernie
11/20/2005 5:57:36 PM
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

The VBA routine work great.  Is it possible to attach it to a toolbar
button?  I have been rethinking my strategy, and it seems like it would be
most efficient to have the execution button on a toolbar instead of attached
to a location inside the sheet.

I will have to explore the Data Validation, I am not familiar with it's
features, but it sounds like it might fill the bill for me.

Adam

"Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org> wrote in message
> [...]
>> specified in another cell's location.  The filled cells would then be
>> non-volitile.  I assume that it would be possible using VBA, but what I
>> know about VBA would fill a thimble, with room left over.  I hope that
>> makes sense.  I am trying to simulate dice rolls. so being able to
>> specify # of dice, and sides of dice being rolled is needed (probability
>> distribution needs to be maintained).
>>
>> ANY assistance would be greatly appreciated as I am at a dead end on both
>> of these issues.  If anyolne who can help would be willing to do so via
>> straight email it would be best as these groups are extremely busy and
>> monitoring them for responses will be hard, but done.  If you need
>> additional information, I can always email a copy of the spreadsheet(s),
>> or a version is available on kazaa under the filename
>> BattleTech - GM - Combat Tracker v1.0.xls

0
Adam
11/20/2005 7:41:55 PM
Select 178 cells and do

Data=>Validation
Select the list option

type in

Yes,No

similar for you other choices.

to make your roll non volatile, you would have to go to
Tools=>Options=>Calculation, select Iteration and make max iterations equal
to 1

then assume your formula is in A2

change your formula to
=IF(A1=1,A2,ROUNDUP(RAND()*6+1,0)+ROUNDUP(RAND()*6+1,0))
if you have a 1 in A1, the cell will not recalculate,  If you clear A1 or
put other than a 1 there then the cell will calculate.  You can then
immediately put in a 1.  this will be how you roll the die.

This is called an intentional circular reference.  If you unselect iteration
in the Calculation tab, you will get a circular reference error.

--
Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"Adam Kroger @hotmail.com>" <adam_kroger<nospam> wrote in message
> To begin with I apologize for the cross posting, but I am new to these
> groups, and an not sure of the protocols.  I am attempting to do several
> things with a spreadsheet.  For background info, the purpose of the
> spreadsheet is to assist in the running of a PBeM version of a  wargame
> called Battletech.  Here are the two things I need assistance for:
>
> Drop-down Listbox within the spreadsheet.
>     There are 3 different arrays of data that I would like to be able to
> access as a dropdown list to fill a cell.  I have figured out how to do
> this, on an individual basis.  My question is, can the same combo box be
use
> multiple times, without hving to manually edit its details for each cell I
> want to be filed by the same information choices (S,M, or L)?  I wish to
use
> the same information choices 84 on different cells, across 8 worksheets,
> within the same workbook, with another 178 cells having a Y(es)/N(o)
option
> set, and 120 cells having the choice between (W?R/J/M).  Nedless to say,
> manually editing almost 400 listboxes is not somehting I am going to do
for
> a hobby.  Is there a way to copy a combo box around the worksheet and have
> its cell referevce change to match the new location?
>
> Random number generation
>     I was able to get a cell to generate a random number between 2 and 12
> simulating the results of 2 six sided dice.using the function
> ROUNDUP(RAND()*6+1)+ROUNDUP(RAND()*6+1) .  Unfortunatly it creates a new
> random number each time the worksheet recalculates.  Ideally I would like
> be able to select a cell (or range of cells), activate a button, and have
> the cells be filled with the randomly generated numbers, that are
specified
> in another cell's location.  The filled cells would then be non-volitile.
> assume that it would be possible using VBA, but what I know about VBA
would
> fill a thimble, with room left over.  I hope that makes sense.  I am
trying
> to simulate dice rolls. so being able to specify # of dice, and sides of
> dice being rolled is needed (probability distribution needs to be
> maintained).
>
> ANY assistance would be greatly appreciated as I am at a dead end on both
of
> these issues.  If anyolne who can help would be willing to do so via
> straight email it would be best as these groups are extremely busy and
> monitoring them for responses will be hard, but done.  If you need
> additional information, I can always email a copy of the spreadsheet(s),
or
> a version is available on kazaa under the filename
> BattleTech - GM - Combat Tracker v1.0.xls
>
> Thank You

0
twogilvy (1078)
11/20/2005 7:54:03 PM
I figured out how to attach it to a button and it is working great,   I am
having unexpected difficulty with the Data Validation.  I have the list of
acceptable entries on a worksheet called "DATA".  The validation dialog will
not let me change to the sheet to select it.  The list is a named range.
Any suggestions?

> [...]
>>> are specified in another cell's location.  The filled cells would then
>>> be non-volitile.  I assume that it would be possible using VBA, but what
>>> I know about VBA would fill a thimble, with room left over.  I hope that
>>> makes sense.  I am trying to simulate dice rolls. so being able to
>>> specify # of dice, and sides of dice being rolled is needed (probability
>>> distribution needs to be maintained).
>>>
>>> ANY assistance would be greatly appreciated as I am at a dead end on
>>> both of these issues.  If anyolne who can help would be willing to do so
>>> via straight email it would be best as these groups are extremely busy
>>> and monitoring them for responses will be hard, but done.  If you need
>>> additional information, I can always email a copy of the spreadsheet(s),
>>> or a version is available on kazaa under the filename
>>> BattleTech - GM - Combat Tracker v1.0.xls

0
Adam
11/20/2005 9:29:57 PM
Just type in that name in the data|validation dialog.

=YourNameHere

"Adam Kroger

--

Dave Peterson
0

upload hebrew xp, 97 office files to mac
word for mac doesn't upload hebrew files created on the pc in word. Word for Mac does not support Hebrew. You should be able to move the document between platforms, but the Hebrew probably won't be readable in Word for Mac. If you want to see Hebrew & Arabic support in a future version of Word, be sure to send the feature request to Microsoft. In any Office application, go to Help -> Send Feedback. Otherwise, click on this direct link to enter Mac Product Feedback: <http://www.microsoft.com/mac/feedback/suggestion.asp> On 2/24/04 5:47 PM, in article 015601c3fb30$a25...

Only one customer in letter writing assistant
Great Plains version 8 - When I run the letter writing assistant to create a Collection Letter or a Customer Letter and I select All customers and All customer types I only get one customer in the customer list to choose from. It doesn't matter what letter I am trying to create I only get one customer to pick from. Does anyone know what I need to do to get all my customers to show up? This is normal behavior if you are launching the letter assistant from the customer maintenance window. Launch it from the reports menu to perform mass mailings. I have tried launching the letter ...

Sub Form Combo Box
I don't understand why this code does not work. When the user enters a date in a text box the subform combo box (CA_NAME) should only show two choices. But nothing happens, no error, nothing.. Help please.... Private Sub TR_ACKNOWLTR_GotFocus() If Me.TR_ACKNOWLTR <> " " Then Me!frmCaseLog!CA_NAME.RowSource = "Select * from tblCommitteeName where [C_Committee] = 'AG'or 'AL'" End If End Sub "Dan @BCBS" <DanBCBS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F6A659C4-1110-449F-91F5-23FD17A41014@microsoft.com... >I...

Error opening excel!!...help needed.
A colleague is having a problem opening a particular excel file. She gets the following error message: Excel.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created. It is only happening with this file and she is able to open all other excel files successfully. Any ides as to why this is happening and more importantly is there a way that we can recover the file? Chip Pearson has some notes to help diagnose startup problems at: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/StartupErrors.htm A couple of guesses. 1. Clean up the win...

data validation fonts differ in drop down box
I am using Excel 2003. I have a group of cells with a data validation "list". That list contains 3 options -- check mark, "X", and "box" -- in Webdings. When you click the drop down box to make a selection the options are in alpha-numeric characters (Arial font(?)) and not Webdings. So my "check mark" becomes an "a" and my "X" becomes an "r". How can I get the drop down box to display the same font as the one in the list? Both the drop down box cells and the "list" cells are formatted with the...

Outlook 97 help please
I know it is old, but the company I work for uses Outlook 97 for email. My problem is that even when someone sends me the simplest of emails with nothing but text in the body, 90%of the time it arrives as an attached text document that I have to open in notepad. If I want to reply, I have to copy their message from notepad and paste it back into the reply window. My computer at work is the only one that appears to do this, but nobody here can see where my options are set any different than theirs. I would love it if someone could tell me how to fix this problem. I have the the latest serv...

using check boxes in excel
how do i simplfy size and centering of check boxes on multiple columns? Hi Tommy, Something like this may get you going. Used macro recorder and then tweaked the code. Sub BoxesAway() Dim i As Integer Dim j As Integer Dim k As Integer j = 1.5 k = 1 For i = 1 To 5 ActiveSheet.CheckBoxes.Add(j, 10.25, 24, 17.25).Select Selection.ShapeRange.ScaleWidth 1.91, msoFalse, msoScaleFromTopLeft Selection.Characters.Text = "Howard" & k j = j + 48 k = k + 1 Next Range("A1").Select End Sub HTH Regards, Howard "Tommy" <anonymous@discussions.micr...

startup dialog box
I would like to create a startup dialog box that users can read, and then check a box that would prevent it from showing every other time they open the database. Basically, I want it to be a kind of "First time use, get to know the database" dialog box that they can read the first time they open the database, and then if they don't want to read it each time, they can check a box and it goes away everyother time they open the database. How would I go about doing that? I read a post that will create the dialog box, but I don't know about adding the check box. On Tue,...

Enlarged Input Box and today's date input
I have a sheet that I want a salesperson to record daily notes with a client. When they click on the cell I want a flyout type box (or enlarged box) that can scroll up and down to see past notes. I would like the lines to be entered bottom up so the last entry will be the one that shows in the cell when the cell is not selected. I would like the input line to automatically have today's date in the beginning and the cursor be next to that so an entry can be typed in. I hope this isn't too big a request! Thanks! Steve You may want to look at Data|Form to see if that does what...

Help Needed
Good morning: This is an example what I am trying to achieve Col-A Col-C Row 1: Name Address Col-A Col-C Row 4: Name Search Address Search Note: The names & address will be hidden below the respective search Col's. I need to search by name (R-4 / C-A) or by address (R-4 / C-C) and have the corresponding name & address populate R-1 respectively AND THEN CLEAR THE SEARCH CELLS LEAVING THE RESULTS IN R-1. Please keep in mind I am not a programmer. Thank you in adv...

Need help formatting a cell.
Can such a request be done using Excel? I need to enter a time in Cell B18 of 2325 or 11:25pm from that time i need it to calculate that cell B17 is 15 minutes prior to B18 (2310 or 11:10pm) B16 is 20 minutes prior to B18 (2305 or 11:05pm) B15 is 45 minutes prior to B18 (2240 or 10:40pm) B14 is 1 hour prior to B18 (2225 or 10:25pm) B13 is 1 hour 10 minutes prior to B18 (2215 or 10:15pm) and so one...... When i will need to change cell b18 to another time.... I need all my cells to still have the same minutes prior to be calculated and deducted. Sorry if questions is compliacted and conf...

Office 97 to 2003: Excel: enter data w/fixed 2 decimal. 2000. be.
When I enter number "2000." I get 20.00 - yes, set decimals at 2 but earlier excel would accept change if you entered decimal with number. this is slowing down a budget prep and I'd sure like some help - online and tutorials say "enter decimal" but this is not working. what am I doing wrong? Hi Confirmed, until v ersion XP you could finish off with a decimal separator. This behavior changed with Excel 2003, I haven't seen any documentation on the reasons. "Enter decimal" is like 2000.0 which is just as many keystrokes as 200000 but slower. If you d...

Filter a List Box Using a Combo Box
I have a dialog box that contains a list box of all my records; basically this is used as a way for a person to find/edit a previously-entered record (select from list box and click to edit/view). The list box is based on a simple query. I want to add a combo box that will allow me to filter the list box by one of the fields - so the user could select what type of record he/she would like to see, and the list box would automatically filter. I know I need an After Update event on the combo box, but I can't figure out the code. The complicating factor is that there are other filter...

Filtering a combo box
I have a spreadsheet with 2 combo boxes. The first box calls from a list of 5 items. The second box calls from a list of 50, and they are related to combo box 1. How do I filter combo box 2 so that only items related to combo box 1 show in the list? These combo boxes will be copied down the page for multiple selections. Is this possible and if so how ? .....Thanks Hi Steve, I don't know if you're committed to a combo box or not. If not you might consider using data validation, which will probably work much faster than a combo box. Debra Dalgleish has an excellent websi...

i need to sin in bak again
i have tried to sign into my other hotmail account in wrong password ,,and i have been trying for many days,so how can i log in again and when?? ...

Combo Box Sorting Problem
Hello experts, My report deals with data for wells. I have a combo box where the user will choose the name of the well, then it will display the appropriate report. It works great. However, the list in teh combo box shows as follows: paramount 1 denver Atlas Bailey 1 Bailey 5 Bell 10 Bell 12 Bell 14 Bell 17 Bell 2 Bell 5 Bell 6 Borie 1 BELMOT 1 BELMOT 12 BELMOT 2 BELMOT 3 Obviously, the issues are: upper/lower case not consistent; the numbers next to names are not sorted properly. Is there a code that would allow no case sensitivity and sort names with numbers appropriately? I a...

Pivot Table help needed
HI, I tried to the example given in this site... http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot03.html For Show/Hide Items -- Visible property is not working. Visible Property is working if the data source is EXcel itself. If the data source is analysis Manager, Visible property is always true...Is there any work around. I have done the macro recording. That is giving a long code which can not be implemented. also I will not able to add a calculated member in the pivot table because the olap datasource is analaysis amanager.. Thanks in advance for any help regarding this. Thanks and regards. ...

I need to synchronize my palm contacts into Outlook
How do I synchronize Palm with Outlook. I have downloaded programs from Palm and Microsoft. When I use the import/export mode Outlooik says I hae to run setup. Can't figure how to do that. You need to provide a whole lot more detail than what you have provided. 1. Version of Outlook? 2. Palm OS version? 3. Have you installed Chapura PocketMirror for synching with Outlook? 4. Setup for what? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be...

default combo box value based on most recent record
Hi, I'm working on a database for financial planning. A client could have many plans written over time and it would be best if the same plan writer prepared them. How would I get the Plan Writer combo box value to default to be the same as last time for a particular client. I don't want to simply assign a plan writer to a client, thats not very flexible. My database has a Plan table with lookups for Client and PlanWriter. The Plan table is used as the record source for a form. So, if the most recent record for Fred Flintstone has Barney Rubble listed as the Plan Writer, the next ...

why right outer join is needed?
hello, i am having one query regarding joins if in left join i reverse order of table it behaves like right join then why we need to seperate joins? thanks in advance. "Archana" <trialproduct2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:7ce01b82-18b9-4b21-98ad-b83fdda6548a@i19g2000pro.googlegroups.com... > hello, > > i am having one query regarding joins > > if in left join i reverse order of table it behaves like right join > then why we need to seperate joins? > > thanks in advance. For ease of writing queries - sometimes it's ea...

I need Create a National Account and Child Account
Hi. I need Create a National Account and Child Account, too. I am Using a Econnet Schemas, i can create a ParentId, but can't create a childparenteId, i don't konw that schema will use to create this childparent, i read the SDK but i don´t understand how to apply this schema in VB.NET. How i can to create this ChildParentid in VB.NET?? I need only one example to Understand how to create this!!!!! I need create this account from CRM and i'm using a webservices whit VB to create this account!! thanks!!!!!! ...

"xxx not closed properly" dialog boxes
I have used Outlook for years, and have lately run into something I've not seen before. I use a lot of .pst files in my folder set, and when I open Outlook, I now get this message: The data file XXXX was not closed properly. This file is being checked for problems. <progress bar, slow scan from 30 sec to 8 min> The only problem with this is that: 1 - in the past, I never got this message, no matter HOW abruptly I shut down Outlook or windows; 2 - even when I shut down Outlook and Windows correctly, I get the message It doesn't occur every time, but when it does I can los...

I think i need a formula for my reports...
What formula do i need to insert so that when in my various reports they will automatically fill in a Job Name or Adress. for instance: I have an access hub that is standardized, but it gets put to use for 7-10 different Jobsites. I would like all the reports that my guys want to print out to automatically have there job information at the top. so i need a formula that is basically, 'make this word be whatever word is inserted in to this table(or query).' I have a section that they do first that is job set up, so when it populates, i want my many reports to populate for them. ...

In need of a formula
Hello, This is probably very simple, but I just can't seem to figure it out. I have an amount field on a form which is based on a table with a date field (ChequeDate) for the amount field (ChequeAmount). What I need is to have the amount appear in the control only if the date is later than 31/12/2006 Your help is greatly appreciated Jeannie On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 08:51:00 -0800, Jeannie wrote: > Hello, > This is probably very simple, but I just can't seem to figure it out. I > have an amount field on a form which is based on a table with a date field > (ChequeDate) fo...

Laptop Needing POP3 & Exchange For One Email Account
Ok, here goes. I have a user that needs a laptop set up for 2 locations. Her primary location is on the network and will use the Exchange server to get mail. Her secondary location is a remote site that uses POP3 to get to the Exchange email. I have licenses to either Outlook 2000 or 2003 available. Is it possible, using either version (prefer 2003), to set up her email account on this one laptop to access her company email via direct network connection AND POP3 when she is at another site? Thanks in advance! Jeff Jeff wrote: > Ok, here goes. I have a user that needs a laptop set ...