html table import - changing formatting in midstream

Hi

Our sales organization came up with the idea of taking a web based financial
tool, write a huge Excel sheet around it, and update the data every week.
From it, they get all kinds of stats and results for the management. So far
so good. I'm in charge of the web application. Now since a few months, when
they import, after exactly 139 lines, the formatting changes in excel.
Instead of being right aligned, the table cells are suddenly left aligned
(starting on column i), the 0.00 in the source is suddenly shown as such
where it was 0 in the 138 lines before. Then after a few hundred lines, it
goes back to what they expect. Only columns with numerical values are
affected though.

I can reproduce this behavior on my own machine, creating a blank excel
sheet and importing the table. I have tried all combinations of the web
query options (Formating, and Other Import settings). And looking at the two
consecutive lines in the html source code from where Excel changes the
formatting.. I see no difference whatsoever. And the weird thing is that if
I take just 5 lines, 2 with what they consider the proper formating and 3
with the improper formating, remove the rest of the lines while leaving the
rest of the document untouched, and I import that into excel.. it looks as
it should, which leads me to believe that it's not so much the contents as
something else. And when I remove all the lines above where things go wrong,
and import that, once again I have a bunch of lines with the proper
formating, then it switches, and a few hundred lines thereafter it switches
again.

Looking at the cell properties, there's no difference, and the weirdest
thing is that when I double click on a cell that has the wrong format, then
it's adjusted. So if I have a number 0.00 and I double click into the cell,
it turns to just 0, and if I have a number 1000.00 that is left aligned,
after double clicking into it, it becomes right aligned and 1000 without any
decimal digits. Likewise, a left aligned 100.10 becomes 100.1 and a left
aligned 10.11 becomes a right aligned 10.11.

Unfortunately I can't post the html table since it contains sensitive data
and since I can't cut out just a few lines and obfuscate them (importing
that works without a glitch) there's basically no way I can share the doc
without major effort on my part.

Is there anybody who has got a clue as to why this happens?

BTW, it happens both on the German Excel 2003 with SP2 of our sales people
and my English Excel 2003 with SP1.. and an English Excel 2003 with SP2.

Regards
Stephan

0
steiner1 (2)
5/4/2006 5:25:13 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Stephan Steiner wrote:
[format issues with web query]
> I can reproduce this behavior on my own machine, creating a blank excel
> sheet and importing the table. I have tried all combinations of the web
> query options (Formating, and Other Import settings).

I've heard this tune before. I also had formatting issues with web
query.
Never found a solution. It wasn't just format for me though. I was
having
things like cells getting omitted and the table coming out distorted.
It seemed to happen on such things as cells with nothing but 0 in them,
empty cells, cells with just a space, cells with space in addition to
the
expected content, and so on.  Eventually I had to abandon using web
query to fetch my data. It was plenty-o-pain.

If you solve this problem I'd be glad to see a summary.

For the format thing, you might get someplace by importing the data
into a "scratch" sheet, maybe doing some massaging on it there,
then copying it to its final destination. Possible a copy/paste
special/
values only would be enough.
Socks

0
puppet_sock (108)

Paragraph formating jumps to defaults.
Hi, We are using Office/Outlook 2007 We have an email signature script that is run when users login, it´s working ok except for two things; If the default paragraph settings in Word 2007 for a user matches those in the signature script, the signature will use the "Base defaults" of Word 2007, that is SpaceAfter = 10 and LineSpacing = "Multiple" with a value of 1,15. So if I change the script to use SpaceAfter=0 and the user has set his/her Word 2007 to use SpaceAfter=0, the result will be SpaceAfter=10. If the script is set to SpaceAfter=0 and the us...

Proper Table(s) Layout
I have created a couple of Dbs which the table structure seemed to simply fall into place, it was just logical in my head. That said, I am working on a new db and for some reason I am doubting myself and wanted a second opinion. The db is basically a contract db to input all the info, and there is a lot of info, for each contract. Where I am 'lost' is the fact that the contracts are broken into categories: clients, components,engineering, warantee... For all of the components (with the exception of clients) there are a number of fields but only 1 entry per contract....

Where is the lasso feature in 2008? (was in formatting palette in 2004)

Formatting a subtotal line with a macro

Changing Prices in HQ.
Hi, I have this little issue. I want to change the put items on promotion using the price wizard using HQ. Unfortunately if I have stores who has differents prices for a same item the wizard do not make the proper change becuase it use the price already stored in the master table. Does anyone saw this issue before? Who was solved?. Thks in advance for your help. Rgds Rodrigo Hi there, The easiest way to look after this is to not change any data on the ITEM in HQ, but to simply do the worksheet for altering the sale price and then send it to the respective stores. Then in the works...

formatting auto replies
Does anyone know of a method that allows outlook 2k2 to format automatic replies regardless of the format of the original message? I setup this automatic response rule that replies with a template, but problem is, when replying to http clients (hotmail or yahoo), the message at the receiver's end has words totally misplaced, all over the page. Any suggestions would be appreciated. ...

Table link documentation

Saving toolbar changes

Importing AOL Email File Cabinet

Changing query execution sequence

Duplicate record in RM tables
We experienced an issue in Apply Sales Document that may have caused a duplicate record somewhere. We found this when running Paid Sales Transaction Removal and received this message: Violation of PRIMARY KEY contraint PKRM3101. Cannot insert duplicate key in object RM30101. I ran the RM duplicate tool found in the automated help area of this website and found the following: --- Begin copy here ---- Duplicates between RM Open and RM History Document #: 07-003021-17 Customer #: 079100 RMDTYPAL #: 7 --- End copy --- It looks like the duplicte tool also logs the qu...

Format for credit card numbers

Automatic changes in cells

Varying format
Is there any way to format a cell differently depending on the number of decimal places typed in? What I need is a minimum of 2dp but 3 if the typed entry matches. eg 1.2 appears as 1.20 and 1.234 appears as typed. TIA Ian Hi! Try formatting the cell with a custom number format such as 0.00## Al -- Alf ----------------------------------------------------------------------- AlfD's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=478 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27494 "AlfD" <AlfD.1f5q6o@excelforum-nospam.c...

Pivot Table Defaults
In the pivot table field list, whenever I create a new pivot table and I am inserting fields into the value area, I generally get as default field setting the 'Count' value. Is there a way to format the spreadsheet to make Excel recognize the data as all numbers so it defaults to the "Sum" function as opposed to "text"? Hi The rule that the PT Wizard adopts is, If all the values in the field being added to the data area are Numeric, then it uses Sum. If any of the values are Text or BLANK, then it uses Count. It sounds as though you have defin...