How to use MSExcel to plot Column A against Col B?

I want to plot col A (x axis) against col B ( y axis). I cant seem to
do it. Can anyone here please give me step by step primer. Thanks in
advance.

All I get is the graph of (1,2,............n) (x axis) against the n
values of either col A or B.
i.e 2 graphs instead of one.

(In the old Lotus this was so simple: select the column for the X axis
and then select the col for the Y and press enter, and you'd get the
chart)
Why is it so diff in Excel?

0
kqurtyhar (4)
12/30/2006 11:41:21 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Select the entire range you want to graph such as a2:b44>insert>chart>>>>

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"joyo" <kqurtyhar@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I want to plot col A (x axis) against col B ( y axis). I cant seem to
> do it. Can anyone here please give me step by step primer. Thanks in
> advance.
>
> All I get is the graph of (1,2,............n) (x axis) against the n
> values of either col A or B.
> i.e 2 graphs instead of one.
>
> (In the old Lotus this was so simple: select the column for the X axis
> and then select the col for the Y and press enter, and you'd get the
> chart)
> Why is it so diff in Excel?

0
dguillett1 (2487)
12/30/2006 2:19:41 PM
Don Guillett wrote:
> Select the entire range you want to graph such as a2:b44>insert>chart>>>>
>
> --
> Don Guillett
> SalesAid Software
> dguillett1@austin.rr.com
> "joyo" <kqurtyhar@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I want to plot col A (x axis) against col B ( y axis). I cant seem to
> > do it. Can anyone here please give me step by step primer. Thanks in
> > advance.
> >
> > All I get is the graph of (1,2,............n) (x axis) against the n
> > values of either col A or B.
> > i.e 2 graphs instead of one.
> >
> > (In the old Lotus this was so simple: select the column for the X axis
> > and then select the col for the Y and press enter, and you'd get the

doesnt work.

> > chart)
> > Why is it so diff in Excel?

0
kqurtyhar (4)
12/30/2006 3:20:00 PM
Hi,

It will if you create a xy-scatter chart rather than a line chart.

Also adding a textual series name over the second column and including
that row in the range selection will help the chart wizard use the first
column as x axis values/categories and the second column as y values.

Cheers
Andy

joyo wrote:
> Don Guillett wrote:
>
>>Select the entire range you want to graph such as a2:b44>insert>chart>>>>
>>
>>--
>>Don Guillett
>>SalesAid Software
>>dguillett1@austin.rr.com
>>"joyo" <kqurtyhar@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I want to plot col A (x axis) against col B ( y axis). I cant seem to
>>>do it. Can anyone here please give me step by step primer. Thanks in
>>>advance.
>>>
>>>All I get is the graph of (1,2,............n) (x axis) against the n
>>>values of either col A or B.
>>>i.e 2 graphs instead of one.
>>>
>>>(In the old Lotus this was so simple: select the column for the X axis
>>>and then select the col for the Y and press enter, and you'd get the
>

> doesnt work.
>

>>>chart)
>>>Why is it so diff in Excel?

0
andy9699 (3616)
12/30/2006 3:41:28 PM
good question, trying to figure it out myself either... to clarify what he's
asking

     x y
      a 45 29
      b 8 47
      c 45 44
      d 43 40

he's trying to plot that, where a is point 1 at coordinate (45,29) etc
etc...

happy new year, orbii

"joyo" <kqurtyhar@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I want to plot col A (x axis) against col B ( y axis). I cant seem to
> do it. Can anyone here please give me step by step primer. Thanks in
> advance.
>
> All I get is the graph of (1,2,............n) (x axis) against the n
> values of either col A or B.
> i.e 2 graphs instead of one.
>
> (In the old Lotus this was so simple: select the column for the X axis
> and then select the col for the Y and press enter, and you'd get the
> chart)
> Why is it so diff in Excel?

0
orbii (38)
12/30/2006 3:49:03 PM
Andy Pope wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It will if you create a xy-scatter chart rather than a line chart.
>
> Also adding a textual series name over the second column and including
> that row in the range selection will help the chart wizard use the first
> column as x axis values/categories and the second column as y values.
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> joyo wrote:
> > Don Guillett wrote:
> >
> >>Select the entire range you want to graph such as a2:b44>insert>chart>>>>
> >>
> >>--
> >>Don Guillett
> >>SalesAid Software
> >>dguillett1@austin.rr.com
> >>"joyo" <kqurtyhar@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > doesnt work.

Why must I use a scatter chart. i want to use a line chart. You mean it
cant be done on a line chart?

0
kqurtyhar (4)
12/30/2006 4:04:07 PM
joyo wrote:
> Andy Pope wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It will if you create a xy-scatter chart rather than a line chart.
> >
> > Also adding a textual series name over the second column and including
> > that row in the range selection will help the chart wizard use the first
> > column as x axis values/categories and the second column as y values.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Andy
> >
> > joyo wrote:

> > > doesnt work.

> Why must I use a scatter chart. i want to use a line chart. You mean it
> cant be done on a line chart?

Ok yes I got it. It would seem like you said, I have to name the 2nd
column. geez what a lousy software! Anyone can help me where I can
download the lotus 1-2-3 for free? Thanks.

0
kqurtyhar (4)
12/30/2006 4:07:55 PM
it can, try it first...

> Andy Pope wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> It will if you create a xy-scatter chart rather than a line chart.
>>
>> Also adding a textual series name over the second column and including
>> that row in the range selection will help the chart wizard use the first
>> column as x axis values/categories and the second column as y values.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Andy
>>
>> joyo wrote:

>> > doesnt work.

> Why must I use a scatter chart. i want to use a line chart. You mean it
> cant be done on a line chart?

0
orbii (38)
12/30/2006 4:11:50 PM
If your x axis points are 1,2,3....n then you do not need the first
column of data, which is confusing the wizard, as it will automatically
create those categories for you.

Cheers
Andy

joyo wrote:
> joyo wrote:
>
>>Andy Pope wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>It will if you create a xy-scatter chart rather than a line chart.
>>>
>>>Also adding a textual series name over the second column and including
>>>that row in the range selection will help the chart wizard use the first
>>>column as x axis values/categories and the second column as y values.
>>>
>>>Cheers
>>>Andy

>>Why must I use a scatter chart. i want to use a line chart. You mean it
>>cant be done on a line chart?
>

> Ok yes I got it. It would seem like you said, I have to name the 2nd
> column. geez what a lousy software! Anyone can help me where I can
> download the lotus 1-2-3 for free? Thanks.

0
andy9699 (3616)

In RMS PO add Level Pricing A, B or C for customization
Hi, Currently we are not able to add level price A, B or C in the PO template. If there is a need to be able to use any of the item level pricing it should be made available for customization purposes. Thanks, Mihir Shah Diviasoft, Inc. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in...

How to use Find (Ctrl-F) to find non-alpha
Is there some way to search a sheet for anything BUT a-z or A-Z? tx ;-) Finding numerals or a mixture of numbers and letters (and other characters) works ok for me. What are you having trouble with? On 10/22/2010 16:31, Heather Mills wrote: > Is there some way to search a sheet for anything BUT a-z or A-Z? > > tx ;-) -- Dave Peterson On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 17:54:28 -0500, Dave Peterson <petersod@XSPAMverizon.net> wrote: >Finding numerals or a mixture of numbers and letters (and other characters) >works ok for me. > >What are you having trouble with? > >...

VC++ 2005
I am attempting to compile a project in Visual Studio 2005 which compiles and links properly in VC++ 6.0. It seems to have problems with C++ i/o functions. Here is the error I get: g:\src\analyzer\digitdialpages.h(136) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'm_InFile' Line 136: ifstream m_InFile; The statment: include <fstream> is at the top of the source file. Some assistance would be helpful. We didn't have any problems with using ifstream or ofstream in VC++ 6.0. Thanks. On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 18:22:47 -0500, "Raj Kulkarni...

Using Blackberry to update CRM
I'm almost positive that this will work, but I'd like someone out there to confirm it. If a user has a Blackberry that connects to Exchange using BlackBerry's server integration software, and that user edits a record that syncs to Exchange, will that change be reflected in CRM 3, assuming that the record is tagged for tracking in CRM? I can't see why it wouldn't work, but I want to make sure. Thanks for any feedback! -Eric. Sorry this will not work. YOu might want to check out tendigits.com for a full blackberry integration to CRM ==============================...

inserting rows using visual basic
I have a data set that I have been working on for the past few days. am new to visual basic and could use a little help with my problem. The data is organized by time (0,1,2,3...22,23 hrs) but not every hou is present. I would like to insert any missing hours WITHOU disrupting the present data. And, any row that is missing an hour, th rest of the cells in that row need to read "0". There is an attached file that shows what I have and also what I need. Thank Attachment filename: missingrows.xls Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachme...

Using Journal to track Project Correspondence ??
I've been trying to read up on the Journal feature, but I'm not sure how I can get it to "compartmentalize" activities related to a project. How would I do this? TIA, Bill Allen You can try using Categories on the journal entries "Bill Allen" <T.W.Allen@cox.net> wrote in message news:sSKef.7316$om5.3819@dukeread04... > I've been trying to read up on the Journal feature, but I'm not sure how I > can get it to "compartmentalize" activities related to a project. > > How would I do this? Hi, Vince. Thanks for your respo...

Excel 2003 with SP3: border around active cell not moving when using keyboard?
When I use the arrow keys on the keyboard, the border around the active cell does not move to the next cell. Only the horizontal/ vertical scroll bars move. This started happening 2 days ago. Any ideas what options I may have accidentally toggle? Your SCROLL LOCK key is on. Press it again to turn it off. The key is typically labeled "ScrLk" and is above the Insert/Home/PageUp buttons. Most keyboards have an LED indicator lamp that is illuminated when Scroll Lock is on. Also, Excel will display "SCRL" in the lower right corner of the main Excel window when Scroll Lock ...

match dates in two columns get value from third
I have a data set on daily basis and another data set on weekly basis. i want to put the weekly data in daily data set by putting a formula which picks values from col c for relevant dates in daily set. example - let us say this is the data set ColA Col B Col C jan1 jan1 8 jan2 jan7 7 jan3 jan4 jan5 jan6 jan7 I want the data from colC against dates in ColA as in ColD below. it should leave other cells blank (colA and ColB are dates format) ColA Col B Col C ColD jan1 jan1 ...

using CFontholder
Hi, When we initialize we have to pass a parameter to CFontHolder constructor. I usually pass a null value. It actually expects a notification(m_xnotification) object. Is it safe to pass a null value to the constructor? Is it necessary to pass a notification object to its constructor? Thanks in advance, Regards, John. -- I don hav a signature..Unfortunately! ...

How do I create custom border using peoples names?
There are many it could be done. I'd set up text boxes and go from there. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Val" <Val@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BFF16BB3-4C90-4E05-B0AA-303874A445AA@microsoft.com... > In addition to JoAnn's reply, you could use WordArt as well. WordArt allows you the opportunity to rotate, flip, arrange etc. and resize as well as save as an image. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. &...

Why is .NET 2.0 required to deploy an app using VC2005 C++ Setup project?
I just created a setup project for my mfc app. I noticed that in the prerequisites section the .NET 2.0 is checked by default. My app does not need the framework (at least this is what I think). If I clear the checkbox, build the project, and then try to deploy it on a machine with ..NET 1.1 the installer fails with a message complaining about missing .NET 2.0. I'm not sure if this the installer that needs the framework or my app. Are there any mfc8 dlls dependant on the framework? Thanks Hi, > I just created a setup project for my mfc app. I noticed that in the > p...

SCOM RMS install account to use
Security wants to see why we cant use a local account to install RMS. We did. Now running setup for other components such as Reporting, which connects back to the RMS, and the RMS cannot verify that the account being used is in the SCOM admins domain security group. Installing RMS with a domain account rather than local account fixes this. Where's the documentation that says you must install with a domain account and cannot use a local account? And if a domain account is used, what happens if that domain account is later deleted - Security is asking ..... Tks, Joe Wrong...

Use these security patch
--lmzqllutpnhvfiyn Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="qnzroljoq"; type="multipart/alternative" --qnzroljoq Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="xhagewsxvsumebkfb" --xhagewsxvsumebkfb Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Client this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to maintain the security of your computer from...

NESTED IF STATEMENT USING DATE
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C7B250.64254380 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello! Can some review the following IF statement. The error is stating that = there are too many arguments. =3DIF((TEXT((D2),"yyyy")=3D"2007"),"2007",if(TEXT(d2),"yyyy")=3D"2006","2= 006","2005 & Before") If the year of the date is 2007, state "2007", If the year of the date = is 2006, state "2006", otherw...

=AND($B$12<>"",$B$12<TODAY()+60) What does the <> mean in this?
Formula above has <> and then the double quotes. In the context of the cell B12, what does the <> mean and does the Double Quotes mean, the current cell of B13 will be "nothing" in the cell? Just a little confused, haven't run across this formula, yet. <> means not equal to "" means blank (or empty) B12<>"" means B12 is not equal to blank (or empty) -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Cbeckwith" <Cbeckwith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4845E5E7-CE55-4274-BF2A-55338AB19A34@microsoft.com...

how to create item numbers column in a Query
Is there anyway to place a column (Item#) in a query, which will show the item numbers of the results. Say that, if query result has 13 items, Item# values will be sequentially 1,2,3...11,12,13. I have a feeling that it might be solved by usind DCOUNT function. Thanks ...

Question regarding how to search a column and print a row(s)
Hello, I have a spreadsheet consisting of 15 columns and 100 rows. I would like to search a column for a specific string or based on some other criteria (e.g., > 150) and for columns meeting the desired criteria, I would like to print the entire row (all columns) within the same worksheet or on a new worksheet. Can this be done using one or more formulas but without getting into VB or fancy macros? Can this be done period? I'm looking for something that searches the column using the same or similar approach as the "sumif" function but instead of summing the specif...

Cannot hide column "cannot shift objects off sheet"
When I try to hide a column with the regular procedure (select the column, Format, Column, Hide) I get the message "Cannot shift objects off sheet" and the column doesn't hide. What does this mean and why is it happening? Thanks, Alan -- achidsey Hi Achidsey, See MSKB article # 211769: 'Cannot shift objects off sheet" error message when you hide columns in Excel' http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;211769 --- Regards, Norman "achidsey" <chidsey2@hotmail.com(notmorespam)> wrote in message news:23783FC5-52E4-4326-A1...

Unable to use my address book
I got a new computer with Windows 7 and began the task of installing all my programs. I then used the easy transfer, as directed by microsoft, from my old xp laptop. when I first opened outlook and set up my profile, all was well until I checked my address book. It was and is blank. There is nothing listed in the scrool down window to even choose an address book to use. My contacts are all there, but when I go to contacts properties and select the outlook address book tab, the box that you need to check is grayed out anf not available. I need help! -- jhp WET a...

keyboard command used to select a range of nonadjacent cells?
does anyone know the keyboard command used to select a range of nonadjacent cells? 1)Use the arrow keys to select the first cell of the range 2)Hold down the [Shift] key while you extend the selection using the up, down, left, right arrow keys. 3)After the range is selected, and while still holding down the [Shift] key, press the [F8] key (they release all keys). You will see the word 'ADD' in the lower right of the status bar. Repeat above steps until done selecting non-contiguous ranges. Does that help? •••••••••• Regards, Ron "Jessizzle123" wrote: > does an...

Using Publisher with a GroupMail Program
OK, I built a one-page e-mail newsletter and converted it to an HTML format. I try to import it into a mass e-mail program called Group Mail. When I preview it prior to sending, I see that none of the images or WordArt is there (I just get those little white boxes with the red "x" in them.). According to the Graphics Manager all of the images are embedded. What's up? CSJohnston <CSJohnston@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > According to the Graphics Manager all of the > images are embedded. This means that the graphics are embedd...

sorting/filtering a list into columns
Hi, I'm nearing the end of a project (an email game) and i would like to have the sheet keep scores. So far, I have 2,3,4 players and these are represented by columns B,C or B,C,D or B,C,D,E. (depending on which you select.) Player 1 takes their turn for example, clicks a button and the sheet is saved and sent to the other players. This also inputs the score into Column G: with a 1 next to it. Player 2 takes their turn, this score is also placed in column G: beneath player 1's and a 2 next to it as below: (if there are 3 players column E reads 123, 123 etc.) E G 1 23 2 1...

Return Column header, if row value is > X
I need to create a formula the looks at a row range for a value over $1,000,000 and if a cell in the row matches the criteria, return the header of that column that matches the cell... For example A B C D 1 "What FY contains value >1,000,000?" __________ 2 FY01 FY02 FY03 FY04 3 1,500 15,000 150,000 1,500,000 DESIRED result in cell D1 should be FY04. Any solutions on how to write this formula? I'm sure it will be a nesting stat...

problem with adding column, formatting
I saved a workbook in quatro pro 8 to excel format and then opened it in excel (ms office 2000). some of the columns will not permit reformatting - changing the date format or changing from currency to accountant number format. I can not add blank columns between columns containing data. A window pops up indicating that Excel will not insert a column as I will lose data. I have attempted to follow instructions in the documentation and in the help screen but can not insert blank columns. In the transfer process does excel end up with locked column and row structure and/or formatting of so...

How to put names over columns and left-justify numbers or align decimal points
I already have made the spreadsheet and want to put names over the columns without making a new row for the names. Is this possible? Like I don't wantt A1 B1 etc. to change to A2 B2 etc. when I put the text above the columns. Then I want to save it as an .htm file so that the tables will have headings like what I have put over the columns. The columns will have to get a little wider to accommodate the headings over them. I need to left-justify the numbers in the columns or line up the decimal points vertically. This is not currency, if that matters. Ike wrote... >I already hav...