How to stop excel 2007 automatically changing my date format?

My spreadsheet has cells with the number format "hh:mm" into which
users type start and finish times. When the start and finish times are
on different days (night shift), the input must also contain the date
like "15/5/2010 22:00" to make the sheet calc correctly. In these
cases, excel changes my numberformat from "hh:mm" to "d/m/yy hh:mm"
even though I specifically set it to "hh:mm".
Can this be stopped? The more these new versions of excel try to
anticipate our needs, the more annoying they become!
TIA
Damien
ps I've worked around this with a worksheet_change event which resets
the number format which is mostly OK except when copying then pasting
into more than one range it sets application.cutcopymode to false (ie
I can only paste once per copy).
I'm also aware I can write a function which handles start time >
finish time but I shouldn't have to do that to preserve my formatting!
0
Damien
5/20/2010 1:14:44 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

No need for dates if you use;
=B1-A1+(B1<A1)
Which accounts for Night shifts.

Where A1 is the start time and B1 the end time.

--
Regards
Dave Hawley

"Damien McBain" <damien@mcbain.net.au> wrote in message
> My spreadsheet has cells with the number format "hh:mm" into which
> users type start and finish times. When the start and finish times are
> on different days (night shift), the input must also contain the date
> like "15/5/2010 22:00" to make the sheet calc correctly. In these
> cases, excel changes my numberformat from "hh:mm" to "d/m/yy hh:mm"
> even though I specifically set it to "hh:mm".
> Can this be stopped? The more these new versions of excel try to
> anticipate our needs, the more annoying they become!
> TIA
> Damien
> ps I've worked around this with a worksheet_change event which resets
> the number format which is mostly OK except when copying then pasting
> into more than one range it sets application.cutcopymode to false (ie
> I can only paste once per copy).
> I'm also aware I can write a function which handles start time >
> finish time but I shouldn't have to do that to preserve my formatting!

0
ozgrid
5/20/2010 1:31:02 AM
On May 20, 11:31=A0am, "ozgrid.com" <d...@ozgrid.com> wrote:
> No need for dates if you use;
> =3DB1-A1+(B1<A1)
> Which accounts for Night shifts.
>
> Where A1 is the start time and B1 the end time.

The formula is more like "=3DIF(NOT(ISNUMBER(C3)),0,IF(D3-C3<=3D0,0,(D3-C3-
(E3/1440)+(7.6-$B3)/24)*24))"! I guess I can work that in :)

Thanks Dave
0
Damien

formatting dates by year #2
I would like to know if there is a way to format dates so that they are formatted by year only. For example, if I click on Format -> Cells, there are a bunch of options, but none of them list to show the year only, just mm/dd/yy or mm/yy, etc. I am trying to create a chart so that only the year shows up. Also, I have tried doing Custom->and "yyyy" in type, but only 1 specific year shows up (i.e. 1905) for all the values. I would like to keep my values. Thanks much! ...

conditional formatting sort

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

Looking for Excel Help

New to excel

Excel button problem

projecting the notes pages in PPT 2007

Excel 97 #9

Need Help, Task Start Date is wrong

Blue screen crash Stop: 0x0000008E
Whenever im playing a game, or surfing the internet, every once in awhile(pretty recent now) my computer will totally freeze up and i get the blue screen with that error code on it. it tells me to restart if this is the first time or contact an administer. I've gone to microsoft updates and fully updated everything i could, what else could possibly be causing this? CodyE wrote: > Whenever im playing a game, or surfing the internet, every once in > awhile(pretty recent now) my computer will totally freeze up and i get the > blue screen with that error code on it. it ...

Change position ID in HR

learning Excel #3

outlook 2007 e-mail

Business Portal Development