How to save spreadshhet in ASCII format?

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C48706.E76906F0

I am trying to save an Excel spreadshet in a format (I think it would be =
ASCII) suitable for importing to another software package.  The file =
widths (fields) need to be exact.  For some reason I am unable to find a =
format in Excel that will work.  I am using MS Office Pro 2002. =20

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

WF
------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C48706.E76906F0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am trying to save an Excel spreadshet =
in a format=20
(I think it would be ASCII) suitable for importing to another software=20
package.&nbsp; The file widths (fields) need to be exact.&nbsp; For some =
reason=20
I am unable to find a format in Excel that will&nbsp;work.&nbsp; I am =
using MS=20
Office Pro 2002.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks in advance for your =
assistance.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>WF</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C48706.E76906F0--

0
someone913 (592)
8/21/2004 3:42:05 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

------=_NextPart_000_001D_01C48716.4E4BFE90

WF,

I've not tried this, but have heard that saving as a .prn file can give =
you the fixed field sizes you need.  You need to use a fixed-size =
typeface like Courier, then adjust the column widths to get the correct =
number of characters in each field.

--=20
Earl Kiosterud
=20
  "WF" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message =
  I am trying to save an Excel spreadshet in a format (I think it would =
be ASCII) suitable for importing to another software package.  The file =
widths (fields) need to be exact.  For some reason I am unable to find a =
format in Excel that will work.  I am using MS Office Pro 2002. =20

  Thanks in advance for your assistance.

  WF
------=_NextPart_000_001D_01C48716.4E4BFE90

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>WF,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I've not tried this, but have heard that saving as a =
..prn file=20
can give you the fixed field&nbsp;sizes you need.&nbsp; You need to use =
a=20
fixed-size typeface like Courier, then adjust the column widths to get =
the=20
correct number of characters in each field.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>-- <BR>Earl Kiosterud<BR>mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period =

net<BR>-------------------------------------------<BR>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV>"WF" &lt;<A=20
  href=3D"mailto:someone@microsoft.com">someone@microsoft.com</A>&gt; =
wrote in=20
  message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:hwzVc.3102$Da4.1868@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com">news:hwzVc.3=
102$Da4.1868@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com</A>...</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am trying to save an Excel =
spreadshet in a=20
  format (I think it would be ASCII) suitable for importing to another =
software=20
  package.&nbsp; The file widths (fields) need to be exact.&nbsp; For =
some=20
  reason I am unable to find a format in Excel that =
will&nbsp;work.&nbsp; I am=20
  using MS Office Pro 2002.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks in advance for your=20
  assistance.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>WF</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001D_01C48716.4E4BFE90--

0
nothanks4548 (968)

------=_NextPart_000_0046_01C48715.0AFCA910

BINGO!!  That was the missing key -- using a fixed-width font.  Many =
thanks!!!!  I'm off an runnig.

WF
  "Earl Kiosterud" <nothanks@nospam.com> wrote in message =
[...]

<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>BINGO!!&nbsp; That was the missing key =
-- using a=20
fixed-width font.&nbsp; Many thanks!!!!&nbsp; I'm off an =
runnig.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>WF</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV>"Earl Kiosterud" &lt;<A=20
  href=3D"mailto:nothanks@nospam.com">nothanks@nospam.com</A>&gt; wrote =
in message=20
  <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:%23t3AXfzhEHA.396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl">news:%23t3AXfzhEHA.3=
96@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl</A>...</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>WF,</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>I've not tried this, but have heard that saving as =
a .prn=20
  file can give you the fixed field&nbsp;sizes you need.&nbsp; You need =
to use a=20
  fixed-size typeface like Courier, then adjust the column widths to get =
the=20
  correct number of characters in each field.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><BR>-- <BR>Earl Kiosterud<BR>mvpearl omitthisword at verizon =
period=20
  net<BR>-------------------------------------------<BR>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
    <DIV>"WF" &lt;<A=20
    href=3D"mailto:someone@microsoft.com">someone@microsoft.com</A>&gt; =
wrote in=20
    message <A=20
    =
href=3D"news:hwzVc.3102$Da4.1868@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com">news:hwzVc.3=
102$Da4.1868@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com</A>...</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am trying to save an Excel =
spreadshet in a=20
    format (I think it would be ASCII) suitable for importing to another =

    software package.&nbsp; The file widths (fields) need to be =
exact.&nbsp; For=20
    some reason I am unable to find a format in Excel that =
will&nbsp;work.&nbsp;=20
    I am using MS Office Pro 2002.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks in advance for your=20
    assistance.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>WF</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0046_01C48715.0AFCA910--

0
someone913 (592)
8/21/2004 5:23:19 AM
One way:

   http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html#fixedfield

In article <hwzVc.3102$Da4.1868@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com>,
 "WF" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote:

> I am trying to save an Excel spreadshet in a format (I think it would be
> ASCII) suitable for importing to another software package.  The file widths
> (fields) need to be exact.  For some reason I am unable to find a format in
> Excel that will work.  I am using MS Office Pro 2002.

jemcgimpsey (6723)

Change default font format in Excel
I have an existing workbook with cell text entries in regular black font. I want to make a number of additional entries in various cells in this workbook, and I want all my text entries to be a different font format (bold, red). Is there a way to do this automatically without highlighting each entry I make and manually changing the cell format? Thanks. Michael, Copy the code below, right-click on your sheet tab, select "View Code" and paste the code in the window that appears. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Cells.Cou...

Date format issue when submitting from a userform to a spreadsheet
Hi, I have a userform that I've generated which routes dates onto a spreadsheet based on the users input. I am having a bit of a frustrating time with the dates, it would appear that in the process of moving the date from the userform to the spreadsheet some dates are switched/transposed. I'll give an example. If someone enters 09/02/2004 on the userform excel seems to look at 09 and assume it is a month and transposes the dates to 02/09/2004(this does not appear to be a US/UK format issues as I have already gone down that road). However, if the date 13/09/2004 is entered i...

open/save dialog title broken
The title bar of any Office 2003 program's open/save dialog has just a single letter. Any ideas what's broken? tbone ...

Pivot Table formatting #6
When I format my pivot tables I have "preserve formatting" checked under "PivotTable Options", and "Autoformat Table" unchecked. Even so, I either lose portions of my formatting, or different formatting is applied when I refresh. Does anyone know what I am doing incorrectly or have any other suggestions? Thanks, Phil Other things to try -- if they don't work, you could record a macro as you refresh and reformat the pivot table. Then, run that when you want to update. --Instead of selecting the cells to format the numbers, right-click the field but...

how to save a resource
Hello, my program creates for example a PHP script file. So I can crete a file by CFile and than use CFile::Write method. It's clear. But because this file is quite long, I had this idea. Save this file to resources and when I will need create this file, just load this file from resources and save it to disk. Is it possible? I really do not how :-( Thank you for your advice Robert See Using Text File Resources in VC++ By DGoins http://www.codeproject.com/cpp/usingtextfile_resources.asp -- Un saludo Rodrigo Corral Gonz´┐Żlez [MVP] microsoft.public.es.vc FAQ http://vcfaq.europe.w...

Help With Strange Error When Trying to Save Any Record
I am getting astrane error happens when try to create any new record (Customer, Item, Vendor or Account), the system gives me a message that "Save Operation Failed" and when i click "More Info" the error message is "Could not find stored procedure 'DYNAMICS.dbo.aagGetCompanyStatus'", although i have created alot of items, customers, accounts and vendors before but suddenly this error appeared. Any quick help will be highly appreciated. It would appear that the AAG has something to do with a product produced by American Association of Geographers. I...

Custom cell formatting
I need to create a custom format for a series of cells that will begin like this. I can't figure out what the code character is fora volitile potentially alpha character. Can anyone help me?? -Monica, Dallas 000000 000001 000002 .... 000009 00000A 00000B 000010 000011 ...... Monica something like this might work for you but you'll need to put all the leading digits in for the entry with the alpha character Regards Trevor "MDavison" <davison@fr.com> wrote in message news:#SD0tUzTEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I need to create a custom format for a series ...

Auto formatting features: How do I align page numbers in publicati
I've got a problem with my publication. I can't align even page numbers to the left without automatic moving the odd numbers to the left as well? Can someone help me? Cissy99 wrote: > I've got a problem with my publication. I can't align even page numbers to > the left without automatic moving the odd numbers to the left as well? Can > someone help me? You need to create a two-page master rather than a one-page master. What version of Publisher are you running? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org ...

Formatting
I've always used MS Word as my email editor in Outlook. Is this possible in Live Mail. Nope. I'm afraid that's only possible using Outlook. In WLM you have to use the built in editor. Is there anything in particular that's lacking from the built in editor that you're looking for? Colin Brown WL MVP "jrchambe" <jrchambe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5EC21892-D39F-4219-AB0F-47BC14E1CD36@microsoft.com... > I've always used MS Word as my email editor in Outlook. Is this possible > in > Live Mail. "...

Error saving a Shared Workbook
I have a user using a shared workbook and gets an error everytime she does this ONE specific change. She deletes a line and then saves and gets a message that says, "EXCEL.exe has generated errors and will be shutdown by Windows... blah blah blah". If she makes anyother type of changes it saves just fine. I also had another user do the SAME change and that person also got that error message. When the file is changed to "Not Shared" then the line is deleted it saves fine also. The problem is obviously with the file itself and that is shared out. can anybody ...

Formating
Hi, In a Column 'A' sales Commission is calculated and resulta is as 250, 200, 300, 330. I wanted to format a cell with a Blinking colours where value is 100 to 250, 250 to 300, 300 to 350 and 350 & above. please help to format my sheet ... thanks Ismail, Getting your cells to "blink" is not in the standard Excel formats What you want would require some extensive programming, certainly, ou of my capabilities. However, there are some great things you can do with Excel' CONDITIONAL FORMATTING. Let's say in column A you have numbers that are the result of formu...

Date Format turn to Year
Hi, I tried to convert the date to YEAR and then the year plus 25 Years later. =Year(A1) I'm getting the result 1900 instead of 1965. I tried to add 25 years later to 1990 from 1965. Your help would be much apprecated. Thanks What's in A1? Are you sure it's a real date? "learning_codes@hotmail.com" wrote: > > Hi, > > I tried to convert the date to YEAR and then the year plus 25 Years > later. > > =Year(A1) I'm getting the result 1900 instead of 1965. > > I tried to add 25 years later to 1990 from 1965. > > Your ...

Opening and formating a CSV file?
Could someone remind me how to handle CSV files please? I had assumed the Text Import Wizard would pop-up when I use File|Open, but the data goes straight into the worksheet. (Presumably because it is not 'delimited'?) Without the Wizard at my side, how do I get each comma-separated field in its own column? -- Terry, West Sussex, UK Try renaming your .csv file to .txt Terry Pinnell wrote: > > Could someone remind me how to handle CSV files please? I had assumed > the Text Import Wizard would pop-up when I use File|Open, but the data > goes straight into the worksheet...

Problem access variable in On Format
Hi, I'm using Access via Office XP Pro. I am trying to format the Zip Code on the detail line of my report. I have tried the following lines of code in both the On Format event and the On Print event: If len([PostalCode]) > 5 Then : : end if or if len(Me.PostalCode) > 5 Then : : end if In both events and either code, I receive the error message: Access can't find the field 'PostalCode' referred to in your expression. If I put "PostalCode" as the source of the report's control...

Formatting Cells in Excel 97

save imbedded pictures
Got a question... If I try to right-click/SAVE a picture in an Outlook email the format defaults to BMP even if it's something else such as an animated GIF. There is a fix for a similar image save error in IE6 but I can't find a repair for this in Outlook. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810978 addresses exactly this issue in IE6. Does anyone know of a similar fix for Outlook? I would love to be able to pull images from my messages without having to forward them to an account pointed to Outlook Express (which will extract images correctly on my system). Thanks in advance! ...

Save as Excel from Master Project
I am trying to export from a master project with about 8 sub- projects. When I try and export from the master to excel, it does not include certain text fields. Why? Any work arounds? I need the text field (name) to use the excel sheet. How are you exporting? Data lives in the sub-projects, not the master. However, try expanding all sub-projects and try again Not all custom fields roll up to the sub-project tasks, so their data is not available in the master. For this and other reasons (including no risk of file corruption) I usually create new masters every week but no...

format a CD
Hi, how can I format a cd+rw re writeable disc aga ...

prompting to save workbook every time (even when no changes made)
i have 3 workbooks all very similar and every single time i open any o them, even when not changing anything, i am prompted to save th thing. its so bad that i can literally open the workbook then click the clos button straight away and it STILL prompts me to save it because i seems to think something has changed. as far as i can see i dont have any macros or anything that will ru every time it starts and change something (i did have a = today in on cell which kept the date as today but taking this out made n difference -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Neowok! You prob...

how to format and print labels from an excel file
I have an excel list of people with 12 cells of information. I want to format and print "name tags" (labels?) using only the information in four cells. How can I do this? You can print labels in Excel but formatting can be a problem. Best to use Word for the mailmerge operation and select the 4 labels to print during the setup in Word. For help on Word mail merge using Excel as the data source. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateAMailMerge.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateADataSource.htm And a t...

Remove format link?
Is there a way to remove the format link between fields in Modifier? Help just shows how to set it and the usual stuff doesn't seem to be working. ...

Saving a macro
I have an excell file which i want to be able to share, it has macros that allow times to be added and saved. i was wondering if there was a way to make this a file which cannot be altered, only info. added. like a template file, to prevent deletion of the macros? On 11 Jul, 05:18, Bill <B...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have an excell file which i want to be able to share, it has macros that > allow times to be added and saved. i was wondering if there was a way to make > this a file which cannot be altered, only info. added. like a template file, > to prevent d...

Word doc format
I tried to email a word attachment written on office for mac 2008 home version, but the recipient couldn't open the doc. recipient using windows xp. rlciii@officeformac.com <rlciii@officeformac.com> wrote: > I tried to email a word attachment written on office for mac 2008 home > version, but the recipient couldn't open the doc. recipient using windows > xp. If they don't have a recent version of Windows Office, they may not be able to open a .docx file. Choose File > Save As and save as a .doc file. -- Adam Bailey | Chicago, Illinois adamb@lull.org | Finge...

Currency Format Lost in Union Query
Thanks to John Spencer, I resolved one problem in my union query (Thank you, John). But I have another problem. Some of my fields in my union query are currencies and others percents. I see both formats are lost. I am sure it is a union query problem, because when I ran an individual query, none of the formats were lost. Is there any way I can keep currency and percent formats without writing, FORMATCURRENCY, etc for each field? Thank you. What data types are these fields? The field in a UNION query will normally take on the data type of the field in the first SELECT. So, if ...