How to put the selected cell onscreen, but not upper left

I want to put the currently selected cell onscreen but not at the top
left. I want a cell in Col E selected, but I want the user to see cols
A-E. I can manipulate XL to select A9, then scroll there, then select
E9, but it seems there must be a better, more direct way. Right now I
have:

Application.Goto Reference:=ActiveCell, Scroll:=True

which puts the selected cell (E9) in the upper left of the display.

Thanks for the help.
0
davegbel (14)
3/3/2008 6:16:24 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Try this:

Sub marine()
Range("E9").Select
Application.Goto Reference:=ActiveCell, Scroll:=True
ActiveWindow.ScrollColumn = 1
End Sub

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu2007e

"davegb" wrote:

> I want to put the currently selected cell onscreen but not at the top
> left. I want a cell in Col E selected, but I want the user to see cols
> A-E. I can manipulate XL to select A9, then scroll there, then select
> E9, but it seems there must be a better, more direct way. Right now I
> have:
>
> Application.Goto Reference:=ActiveCell, Scroll:=True
>
> which puts the selected cell (E9) in the upper left of the display.
>
> Thanks for the help.

0
GarysStudent (1572)
3/3/2008 6:51:02 PM
On Mar 3, 11:51=A0am, Gary''s Student
<GarysStud...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Try this:
>
> Sub marine()
> Range("E9").Select
> Application.Goto Reference:=3DActiveCell, Scroll:=3DTrue
> ActiveWindow.ScrollColumn =3D 1
> End Sub
>
> --
> Gary''s Student - gsnu2007e
>

> "davegb" wrote:
> > I want to put the currently selected cell onscreen but not at the top
> > left. I want a cell in Col E selected, but I want the user to see cols
> > A-E. I can manipulate XL to select A9, then scroll there, then select
> > E9, but it seems there must be a better, more direct way. Right now I
> > have:
>
> > Application.Goto Reference:=3DActiveCell, Scroll:=3DTrue
>
> > which puts the selected cell (E9) in the upper left of the display.
>
> > Thanks for the help.- Hide quoted text -

Bingo! Thanks for the prompt reply.
0
davegbel (14)
3/3/2008 6:57:26 PM
If I understand you correct ?

Sub test()
    Application.Goto Reference:=Cells(ActiveCell.Row, 1), Scroll:=True
    Cells(ActiveCell.Row, 5).Select
End Sub

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"davegb" <davegbel@comcast.net> wrote in message news:acd937b1-89b7-4a12-93e4-3aeb2f2f7b4f@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
>I want to put the currently selected cell onscreen but not at the top
> left. I want a cell in Col E selected, but I want the user to see cols
> A-E. I can manipulate XL to select A9, then scroll there, then select
> E9, but it seems there must be a better, more direct way. Right now I
> have:
>
> Application.Goto Reference:=ActiveCell, Scroll:=True
>
> which puts the selected cell (E9) in the upper left of the display.
>
> Thanks for the help.
0
rondebruin (3790)
3/3/2008 6:59:04 PM
On Mar 3, 11:59=A0am, "Ron de Bruin" <rondebr...@kabelfoon.nl> wrote:
> If I understand you correct ?
>
> Sub test()
> =A0 =A0 Application.Goto Reference:=3DCells(ActiveCell.Row, 1), Scroll:=3D=
True
> =A0 =A0 Cells(ActiveCell.Row, 5).Select
> End Sub
>
> --
>
> Regards Ron de Bruinhttp://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm
>

> "davegb" <daveg...@comcast.net> wrote in messagenews:acd937b1-89b7-4a12-93=
e4-3aeb2f2f7b4f@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
> >I want to put the currently selected cell onscreen but not at the top
> > left. I want a cell in Col E selected, but I want the user to see cols
> > A-E. I can manipulate XL to select A9, then scroll there, then select
> > E9, but it seems there must be a better, more direct way. Right now I
> > have:
>
> > Application.Goto Reference:=3DActiveCell, Scroll:=3DTrue
>
> > which puts the selected cell (E9) in the upper left of the display.
>
> > Thanks for the help.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, Ron!
0
davegbel (14)

Replace null string with blank cell
I have a large table which was created via lookups from other tables. Many of the entries are (or should be) blank. After the table was created, I converted everything to values (Paste Special/Values) in order to save memory. However, the table now contains a null string or other unprintable character in each of the "blank" cells. Thus, if I use END-DN or END-UP to find the next value in the table, the cursor goes to the end of the table, as it sees something in each cell. If I edit a "Blank" cell, I see no characters, and if I select the formula bar & hit ENTER, ...

show first few letters of a column in another cell
I know how to use left to show the first character of a particular column in another column. What I need to do is show the first seven characters. For Instance: Column A has a value of "McDonald" I want Column B to show "McDonal" Thanks. =LEFT(A1,7) if A1 is your reference cell. -- HansM "Glenn" <nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:O1l1Z7TOFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... >I know how to use left to show the first character of a particular column >in > another column. > > What I need to do is show the first seven characters. >...

micro for multi colors in a cell
hi i am very new to this and need some help with setting up a micro I have a spreadsheet with a cell that i will have 4 options "A" "B" "C" "D" and i would like for each of them to have a different color when pu into that cell. Please i am new to this so you will have to walk me through the step . check <OMFuxWoQEHA.620@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl> check <K4BjMWoQEHA.3980@cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl> check <#Ca3EWoQEHA.2784@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl> takethis <mn.cb247d45f8b39c24.12473@NOSPAMhotmail.com> Subject: Re: seguridad xp From:...

Can I add to a cell value without manual calculation?
I have a value in a cell eg 100 and want to add another value to it eg 10. Can this be done by entering the additional value and the sum completed automatically? Brian, You can do it like this. Put 10 in a cell and copy it. Select the cell with 100 in it and right click - paste special - select 'ADD' - OK Delete the 10 from the cell -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "Brian" wrote: > I have a value in a cell eg ...

how to find data and list all of them in a cell.
I have one database table like this. ============================== Col_A Col_B Col_C name room cancel person1 building1 no person2 building1 yes person3 building2 no person4 building2 no person5 building1 no ============================== what I need is to list the name who don't cancel in building1 and fill in cell("D1") the result would like to be : person1 , person5 pls. help me to solve this problem. thank you so much The simplest way would be to select the ...

Linking Dialog box content with cells in "regular" sheet
How to link data in Edit box (from Dialog caption) with exact cells in "regulal" Sheets? Or is there another way to link exact content from Dialog sheet to normal sheet? For example, if I have number 200 in Dialog, I need that exact number 200 on another ("regular") sheet to preform calculations with it. thnx ...

Need help with putting text in a shape
Greetings, I am making an a4 flyer, i have used a background photo over which i have placed a shape which i plan to type in. The problem is i need to rotate the shape 90 degrees for what i want it to look like. Having rotated the shape i type in it and the writing goes top to bottom (it too has been rotated) and i want it to go left to right. Imagine a piece of A4 paper, you write along the top and then twist the paper right 90 degrees, thats how my text looks, and i want it left to right with the shape staying where i put it. Any ideas how i can change the text direction, i have look...

Optimize event selection
Hi, I am trying to select the best event for a particular day. There are 3 types of possible events, and there can be multiple instances of the same possible event. I need to figure out which is the longest contiguous event for each event type, and then which is the longest contiguous event out of all the event types. Here is a sample from my spreadsheet where 1st col is time, next 3 cols are the event types, called ones, twos & threes. What I would like is a table showing the longest contiguous span of time for each event type, and which is the longest of all the spans for the day. Time...

Help : Cell Flags
In Excel 2003, some of the cells in my spreadsheet have a small triangle indicator in the top left corner. What does this indicator signify, and how can I remove it from my spreadsheet? Thanks for any help. Tools|Options|Error checking You can turn them all off -- or even use the warning to correct something. Tom_0127 wrote: > > In Excel 2003, some of the cells in my spreadsheet have a small triangle > indicator in the top left corner. What does this indicator signify, and how > can I remove it from my spreadsheet? Thanks for any help. -- Dave Peterson Thanks Dave....

how to color code a cell in excel if amount reaches a minus
what is the formula that is used if any to color code a cell or many cells that the amount reaches minus within a spreadsheet, such as total is -$5.69 in a roww and you may have others that may go in the minus How can you color code that cell and others if the amount reaches a minus? I would really appriciate any help because I am working on a expenditure report Thank you Pat Mineard The feature to do this is called Conditional Formatting Highlight the cells you wish to format, then do Format > ConditionalFormatting > CellValueIs > LessThan > 0 > Format > PatternsTab...

Printing plain text selection
Alright, I've dug through the groups and realize that this is a limitation of Outlook but I can't for the life of me understand why Outlook is more limited than Outlook Express when it comes to printing a selection or select pages for plain text messages. Can anyone offer any sound reasoning or tell me if MS intends to change this? ...

Selecting Data from Another Record
I have a table that contains an event number and the event date. tblEvent: fldNo, fldDate When someone is invited to the event, in case they can't make it, I want a query to show the fldDate from the next record. qryEvent: fldNo, fldDate, fldNextDate How do I get the query to look at the next record to get the fldNextDate? Thanks! Rob B. Rob, One approach is: NextDate: DMin("[fldDate]","tblEvent","[fldDate]>#" & [fldDate] & "#") -- Steve Schapel, Microsoft Access MVP Rob B. wrote: > I have a table that contains an event nu...

Flipping order of contents of a cell based on a coma
I have the following information in a column: VIGNEAULT, NATALIE A RYAN, BRANDON D HALLEY, ANDREA S SCOTT, BRIAN L SEBHATU, LUWAM GOMES, MARIA L NABIGON, JOHN E COLE, CHARLOTTE A I need to flip the contents around so that VIGNEAULT, NATALIE A would become NATALIE A VIGNEAULT (without the coma). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Chris. Try this: =MID(A1&" "&A1,FIND(",",A1)+2,LEN(A1)-1) Copy down as needed. Biff <chunt@vvsii.com> wrote in message news:1168975213.542721.138600@v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.com... >I have the following in...

Format Cells #14
I'm trying to figure out a way (if there's one) to enter a number into a blank cell and have it automatically multiply that cell by 25.4 (essentially converting a number from in. to mm.), keeping the new number in that same cell: enter 2 into A2 and it converts it to 50.8 and A2 now shows 50.8. Is this possible? Thanks. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) On Error GoTo ws_exit: Application.EnableEvents = False With Target If .Column = 1 Then .Value = .Value * 2.54 End If End With ws_exit: Application.EnableEvents ...

Error when using selection/text to columns
Having a little difficulty here. Using Excel 2000/WinNT4. The macro below looks for a particular phrase on a worksheet, when it finds it the second time, it selects that cell and the cell below it. I then want to run a TextToColumns on that selection. Instead I get: Run-time error '1004' Method 'Range' of object '_Global' failed Thanks for any help. - Tom ******************************************* Sub aaaaFormatTotalsLine() Range("A1").Select Cells.Find(What:="TOWN", After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt _ :=xlPart, Sea...

How to select a mail in the outlook inspector programatically in C#?
Hi, I am developing an addins for outlook in C#. My need is, If I click a custom button on the custom tool bar , a mail should select automatically in the outlook inspector. Ofcourse I give some search criteria in the button click event to select the mail. I can identifiy the mail with my search criteria from the custom button click event. Means I have mail as outlook mailitem object. But I am not able to select that mail automatically in the inspector. Please let me know, if anybody know the way. The code/sample can be in any programming language. with regards kumar You mean displa...

Outlook 2003 can't select delivery location Exchange Mailbox
Hi there I set up an Outlook 2003, added an Exchange Mailbox in the accounts. Now I got the warning that the default delivery location will be the Personal Folder. I don't want that and wanted to change the default delivery location to Mailbox. However the only option it shows me in this dialog is the PST. :( The Mailserver is an old Exchange, likely 5.5. I do have another machine that goes on a Exchange 2003 and there it works perfekt. So I wonder why the other machine doesn't allow me to set the mailbox as the default delivery. What happens if the delivery is set to PST and I go...

Inserting Quotation Marks in all Cells
Hi! I have a co-worker who needs to insert quotation marks in the entire worksheet. It contains both numbers and text. The quotation marks need to be inserted around each individual cells data. Can someone help? Enter this small macro: Sub quoteit() Dim r As Range For Each r In Selection If IsEmpty(r.Value) Then Else r.Value = Chr(34) & r.Value & Chr(34) End If Next End Sub Select all or some portion of the worksheet and run the macro. It will put quote marks before and after the contents of all selected non-empty cells -- Gary's Student "confused" wrote: ...

Preventing Duplicate Cells
We have a list of about 8600 different numbers which are our accounts. Each is 16 digits long. We have recently had the problem that when we copy over account lines, sometimes we create duplicate cells. We need to prevent this duplication. Is there any way in Excel to prevent the addition of cells that have the same content? Check out the 'Advanced Filter' option... DATA / FILTER / ADVANCED FILTER You have the ability to copy unique records only to a different location. HTH, -- Gary Brown gary.DeleteThis2SendMeAnEmail.Brown@kinneson.com "BenBlair" wrote: > We h...

why doesnt my formula cell update automatically ?
=SUM(G5:G11) if I change any cell in the range, the sum is not performed. I have to select the sum cell, F2 then Enter in order to get the sum to work Check and make sure that calculation is set to automatic. Tools>Options>Calculation Biff "Wozza" <Wozza@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D54D1FA7-F8C3-4333-B243-34E516DE8A5D@microsoft.com... > =SUM(G5:G11) if I change any cell in the range, the sum is not performed. > I > have to select the sum cell, F2 then Enter in order to get the sum to work Thanks Biff...not sure how it got set to ma...

Find date in row and move to cell
I will try and explain this as best as I can but please forgive me if I fail. I have a date range in row 2 starting in column e and runing through to cell IR2. I then have a list of tasks in column a staring in row 4. There is a command button linked to a macro that will insert a new task in the middle of the existing list of tasks and creates some subtotals etc but what I would like it also to do is remember the row the active cell is in, look up todays date in the range and move to that location ready for input. Any ideas please? Kind regards, Mav Try the below Sub ...

Extract numeric value from single cell #2
Thanks, thats grea -- Landyma ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Landyman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=807 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26148 ...

Office 2007 + formatting cells
I have a cell with 6 numbers in for example 098737. Excel deletes the zeros off from the cell, when i right click format cells and go to custom i change general to 000000 but it changes it to chinese? Can anyone help please? Neil, The quickest way to keep the formatting is to put an apostrophe in front of your number. Like this: '098737 When you hit enter, Excel formats the cell as text and keeps your leading zero. HTH. "Neil Holden" wrote: > I have a cell with 6 numbers in for example 098737. > > Excel deletes the zeros off from the cel...

Select every Nth cell in column? Help please
3 columns A2:C100 contains data. In E2:E14, I want a formula or function that will get every 3rd cell from Column A, F2:F14 every 3rd cell from Col B, G2:G14 every 3rdcell from Col C E.g.: A B C D E F G Days Week Mon RDays RWeek RMon 1 2 3 7 8 9 4 5 6 4 5 6 7 8 9 9 8 7 10 110 12 3 3 3 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 3 3 3 I'm guessing Vlookup somehow, but I sure cant figure out how to do it. Appreciate any help you can provide. Basically, I'm just trying to get a smaller set of data to work with in Cols E:G versus using the data in Col A:C which currently i...

in excel can I write = c2 as a formula such as =cell(2,3)
Sheet1 is a price list if a person enters 5 in cell a5 (quantity) I want that 5 to be place in the first blank line on sheet two. To do so I need to write that cell as a formula. PS I don't know visual basic and would prefer not to use it. Hi not really sure what you're trying to do. What else in on sheet 2? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany segray wrote: > Sheet1 is a price list > if a person enters 5 in cell a5 (quantity) I want that 5 to be place > in the first blank > line on sheet two. To do so I need to write that cell as a formula. > PS I don't...