How to populate a bunch of cells at once

My spreadsheet is huge and I would like the user to be able to populate an
entire chunck of cells in the colum based on some criteria.

So, if the user enters a value in one cell, a prompt could come up and ask
"would you like to populate all the cells with this value that have the
color red as the key" etc etc.

Please give me a hint as to how to go about it.  Once I get the idea, I will
be set.

Thanks so much

0
dannywork5 (17)
7/27/2004 6:56:10 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi
maybe not what you're looking for, but:
- select all desired cells
- enter your value
- finish the entry with CTRL+ENTER (not with a single ENTER)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Danny wrote:
> My spreadsheet is huge and I would like the user to be able to
> populate an entire chunck of cells in the colum based on some
> criteria.
>
> So, if the user enters a value in one cell, a prompt could come up
> and ask "would you like to populate all the cells with this value
> that have the color red as the key" etc etc.
>
> Please give me a hint as to how to go about it.  Once I get the idea,
> I will be set.
>
> Thanks so much

0
frank.kabel (11126)

Merging cells in a shared workbook......
Excel 2003 I ran into something I haven't as of yet and am wondering if it is due to working within a shared workbook. I am unable to merge cells as the option to do so is greyed out. The sheet is not protected by the protect command. Forgive me if this has been asked but since I access this from work, I have to use the web browser and not an actual reader and I haven't found the search function (if there is one). Thanks for any and all replies. :) It is due to being shared. >-----Original Message----- >Excel 2003 > >I ran into something I haven't as of yet ...

Split worksheet into many based on Cell
I have a excel doc with an Department ID field that breaks down employees for that department. I need to programatically make a new document for each occurrence of the department within the doc. For example DeptID Person 1 Brian 1 Rob 2 John 2 Mary 3 Colleen would be broken into 3 new files that contain only 1 departments worth of data. Ideas? Thanks [This followup was posted to microsoft.public.excel with an email copy to Brian Nordberg. Please use the newsgroup for further discussion.] To separate data based on the department ID into ...

macro to find value in cell and copy that row to toher sheet
Hi - I am working on getting a macro to find a name in column "B" and once found copy its row to another sheet. I have been working on an "IF" statement that checks for the given name and if true copies the row. I can not get it to keep checking and then stop using "loop" Can anybody help? Thanks - JimA If the number of entries in column A, then looping doesn't seem like a real bad idea. But if that list gets any size, it's better to use another technique--like using Edit|Find. Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim FoundCell As Range Dim Wks ...

monitor cell that uses data validation list for change
I have a range of cells that uses an in cell drop down data validation list for data entry. i would like to move the cell selection to a different part of the wks after a user changes one of these cells. I tried the worksheet change event - but it doesn't seem to monitor changes made by a drop down data validation list. Anybody have any ideas? Richard -- rgarber50 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ rgarber50's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=11350 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.p...

Spreadsheet pausing,calculating cells,up2 100%,each input,why?
Hello there, Everytime I input data into even the smallest of spreadsheets, the application pauses, in the bottom left it states that it is calculating cells, then there is a 3 second pause as a percentage rolls up to 100. This is slowing my work down alot, please help me to understand what is going on and how to stop it. Regards Matthew C. You can turn calculation to manual, do your data entry and then turn it back on (or just recalculate when you want). You'll see that excel gives you a warning in the statusbar when the workbook need recalculation. Tools|Options|Calculation tab...

Help needed with cell category, ie Number/Text etc
I am using a lookup formula in Excel 2003 to display a product description when I enter a product code. I am having a problem with choosing what category to assign to the cells. The product code can start with a number (some start with a 0) or a letter. If I assign the cells to be a number, when I enter a code that starts with 0 such as 0109 it changes it to 109. We need it to show the 0 in front. If I assign the cells to be text, the product codes such as 0109 work and it shows the right product description but when I use a product code that doesn't start with 0 such as 2208 it d...

merging cells
In A2 I have, say 121212, and in S2 I have something else, however I'd like the content of A2 inside the string contained in S2, something like: c:\\mypictures\\<contentofA2like121212here>.tif (obviously the <contentofA2like121212here> is A2) Any help guys? Lap sorry, i worked it out (not hard after all!) ="c:\\mypictures\\"&A2&".tif" "Lapchien" <ccarswell@nospameclipse.co.uk> wrote in message news:108i8ikm534j898@news.supernews.com... > In A2 I have, say 121212, and in S2 I have something else, however I'd like >...

change the display data format cell already contain data as date
In Excel sheet a column contains datas as like 19.12.2008 this column contains"General" format. Now I want to change and display above as date format like 12/19/2008 Hi May this can help press ctrl and F then click replace and Type FIND WHAT . in Replace with type / then click replace all "Harun" wrote: > In Excel sheet a column contains datas as like 19.12.2008 this column > contains"General" format. Now I want to change and display above as date > format like 12/19/2008 You can use the 'Convert Text to Columns Wizard to ...

cells #2
When entering data into a spreadsheet, some single cells exceed the column width. They are missing the grid lines, and span multiple columns. When I try to copy columns, I get an error message command cannot be used for multiple sections. Other columns without this problem are copyable, but the columns with a few cells that span mutiple columns are not. Jim You just ran into the number one problem with "merged" cells. Since a cell in the column is merged with a cell in the next column you cannot copy that column One fix is to use "center across selection" instead of...

Why does my cell format change after I save my document and then .
Hi might be an idea to repost your question with it written in the body section of the post rather than the subject line. Cheers JulieD "booper1234" <booper1234@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9DECB58B-C0DA-4D1C-933A-C519AC600086@microsoft.com... > ...

Giving a duplicate cell a number
say in column A i had a cell which had "Horse" in it , and it said "Horse" in randown cells in column A , what formula could i use in column B so that everytime it recgnised "Horse" in cell A is would give it a unique number ie Horse featured in cells A1 A4 A7 A20 So in the coressponding cell in column B it would have 1,2,3,4 etc A1 = HORSE B1=1 A4 = HORSE B4=2 A7 = HORSE B7=3 Thanks for any help -- scottymelloty ------------------------------------------------------------------------ scottymelloty's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action...

Sorting for blank cells.
I have a spreadsheet that looks like this: 02 01 VI $29.00 01 01 AX 01 01 OA $10.00 I want to separate the ones without a dollar value under the "01" or "02" cell. Can anyone offer any help? Thanks, Tom .. Hi see your response in Excel.newusers. P.S.: please don't multipost -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > I have a spreadsheet that looks like this: > > 02 01 VI > $29.00 > > 01 01 AX > > > 01 01 OA > $10.00 > > I want to separate the ones without a dollar ...

finding active cell
I would like to use either a form button or a command button to execute a macro that will launch a vba form. When the form is loaded I would like to know from what cell in the spreadsheet it was invoked. How would I do this? Thanks ABC ActiveCell.Address will return whatever cell is highlighted on the spreadsheet, which isn't necessarily the address of the form or command button that you pressed ABC On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 06:36:00 -0700, "Bob" <bobt5150@hotmail.com> wrote: >Dim rngRange as String > >rngRange = Activecell.Address > >>-----Original Mess...

Warn before editing in a cell containing data
This seems like it should be an easy issue, but I can't find an answer. I use Excel as my gradebook. I enter lots of scores everyday and want to prevent accidentally changing data in a cell where I hav previously entered a value. I believe that in a previous version used I would have to press ENTER twice to change a cell value, but onl once if the cell was empty. I am currently using Excel 2000. I hav already unchecked the "Edit directly in cells" box -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Right click on the sheet name tab,selct "View Code" and pa...

Conditional Formatting Help when a Cell is Blank
I am trying to format a cell that has three scenario's. 1. If A1=B1, then the text will be green 2. If A1 does not equal B1, then the text will be red 3. If B1 is empty/blank, then A1 has no formatting. The value of B1 is dependant on a value that is selected from the Master Sheet. So B1 has a formula that is attached to it. I am having difficulties getting A1 to have no formatting if nothing has been filled/selected for B1. Any ideas would help. Thanks Hi, in conditional formating enter =AND(B1<>"",B1<>A1) then set up the colour to b...

combining cells in tables in excel
I have created 2 excel tables in 1 word document and I need to add the sum of 1 cell out of each table together. I know that there is a way to reference the cells in other tables but every formula that i try does not work. I have already bookmarked both tables as instructed by Help and yet still nothing. If anyone can help me link these 2 cells together it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks ...

how do I add cells totals
what i need to do is a monlthly sales forcast, example: Unit Cost X how many sold = total + (jan/05 (previous) month's total = (current month Feb/05) total 30 X 65 = total (1950) + 930 = total I need to do this from Jan thur Dec on each line/service. Please Help!!!! Do all the numbers exist in the current sheet? A = unit cost B = total amt. sold C = previous sales D = this formula: =A1*B1+C1 -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "Joe" &...

Autofilter based on cell value
Is it possible to drive the auto filter using a cell value (withou using VBA)? I am developing a template to analyse trends. The historical data i pasted onto one sheet in a standard format. This sheet holds the arra names etc to accomodate however much data there is. On another sheet I have graphs and summary data in a report format. What I want to be able to do is select a product code on the repor sheet. This should then be used to filter the data so the report onl shows information for that product. If it can only done with VBA please will someone explain how to do i in words of two s...

Hiding a cell from printing...
I want to hide a specific cell when I print. Not an entire row nor a column - just one specific cell. I don't want to change the font to white, nor hide it (either row or column) Ive searched the Net to no avail. Can somebody help me? Thanks...:) -- warburger ------------------------------------------------------------------------ warburger's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32387 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=566490 Give the cell a custom format of ;;; (3 semicolons), print, and change the format ...

Starting a new paragraph within a cell
How do you create a line break within a cell? For example, if wanting to list 2 or more items it looks better if each one is printed under the other as a list. Or in a comment column when needing to start a new paragraph, again within the cell. Hi. You can press Alt + Enter to create a line break within a cell. Kath firman wrote: > How do you create a line break within a cell? For example, if wanting to list > 2 or more items it looks better if each one is printed under the other as a > list. Or in a comment column when needing to start a new paragraph, again > within th...

How do I set the cell value to 0
I want the cell to change back to 0 after I type in a number and hit enter, I have a formula in another cell that uses the number I enter, but if the cell does not return to zero directly after I hit enter, it will keep adding whatever number is in the cell. Please Help! This tiny macro does what you want to cell A1, You can adapt it to any cell. Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) If Intersect(Range("A1"), Target) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub Application.EnableEvents = False Target.Value = 0 Application.EnableEvents = True End Sub Remember that this is worksheet code...

excel 2007
When I click on any cell in an excel 2007 sheet, that cell is surrounded by a small black border. Can I change the size/color of this border? If so, how? THanks. ...

Cell formatting #2
I'm having a problem with Excel (Office 2004) - the worksheet won't accept specified formatting. For instance, though I've set the type to 'Date' in a column, and told it (for example) to express the number entered as '3/14/01', it returns a five-digit number. Similarly, currency values are returned as integers, '300' rather than '$300.00'. Any help out there? Thanks - Gene Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services ---------------------------------------------------------- ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY ** ---...

Comparing Repeating Cells
How do you express a formula for the following examples If A2, B2 and C2 all cells with same numbers as A1, B1 and C1, in any order, then D1 equals 3, (ie 3,,7,,2 followed by 3,,2,,7) but If A2, B2 and C2 have only 2 cells which is the same as A1, B1 and C1, in any order, then D1 equals 2, (ie 3,,7,,2 followed by 2,,3,,4) or (ie 3,,7,,2 followed by 3,,7,,7) but If A2, B2 and C2 have only 1 cell which is the same as A1, B1 and C1, in any order, then D1 equals 1, (ie 3,,7,,2 followed by 0,,2,,4) or (ie 3,,7,,2 followed by 3,,3,,8) or ie 3,,7,,2 followed by 2,,2,,2 but If A2, B2 and C2 have n...

Cell format
I have a set of cells that show the fraction of #complete/#total. They are formatted as fractions so that I can custom format them such that those >=50% turn green and those <50% turn red. The problem is that for a completion of, say 8/12, excel automatically simplifies to 2/3. Is is possible for excel to still recognize the cell as a fraction but not simplify? You can directly control this by formatting in advance. Let's say you enter the data in twelths and want it to remain that way: Format > Cells... > Number > Custom and then enter # ??/12 Experiment with forma...