How to paste absolute references or sort links

     In Excel 2003, I need to sort columns that are links to other
columns. If the paste function pasted absolute references, like $A$1, it
would work like a charm. However, since it pastes normal references,
after the sort operation nothing changes.
     What I need is either that the paste operation paste absolute
references, or that the sort operation not recalculate the content of
the cells it sorts. How do I do that?
     I distinctly remember that it used to work as expected in the
previous version of Office/Excel - forget which one exactly - probably
Office XP.

     Another question - is there a way to tell Excel and Word (2003) to
use the last save directory for default saving location?

--
No, no, you can't e-mail me with nono.
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

El Kot wrote:
>     In Excel 2003, I need to sort columns that are links to other
> columns. If the paste function pasted absolute references, like $A$1, it
> would work like a charm. However, since it pastes normal references,
> after the sort operation nothing changes.
>     What I need is either that the paste operation paste absolute
> references, or that the sort operation not recalculate the content of
> the cells it sorts. How do I do that?
>     I distinctly remember that it used to work as expected in the
> previous version of Office/Excel - forget which one exactly - probably
> Office XP.

     To further clarify - it works as expected when I copy and paste a
link from one sheet in the workbook to another. Then it can be sorted no
problem. The question is, how can I do it on the same sheet?

>     Another question - is there a way to tell Excel and Word (2003) to
> use the last save directory for default saving location?

--
No, no, you can't e-mail me with no no.
I think you're mis-remembering.

If you have formulas that point directly at a cell (in a different row or on a
different worksheet), then your sort will be screwed up.

Maybe you have a unique key that you use in an =vlookup() or =index(match())
formula???

Elko Tchernev wrote:

> El Kot wrote:
> >     In Excel 2003, I need to sort columns that are links to other
> > columns. If the paste function pasted absolute references, like $A$1, it
> > would work like a charm. However, since it pastes normal references,
> > after the sort operation nothing changes.
> >     What I need is either that the paste operation paste absolute
> > references, or that the sort operation not recalculate the content of
> > the cells it sorts. How do I do that?
> >     I distinctly remember that it used to work as expected in the
> > previous version of Office/Excel - forget which one exactly - probably
> > Office XP.
>
>      To further clarify - it works as expected when I copy and paste a
> link from one sheet in the workbook to another. Then it can be sorted no
> problem. The question is, how can I do it on the same sheet?
>

> >     Another question - is there a way to tell Excel and Word (2003) to
> > use the last save directory for default saving location?
> >

> --
> No, no, you can't e-mail me with no no.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Copy / Paste Graphic between emails
Hello, Copying a graphic image from a email in the inbox and pasting it into another new message seems to work in that the graphic does show. After sending however, a boxed red x takes the place of the graphic in the recipients email and in the original message when displayed in the sent mail folder. Is this behavior "normal" or is there a switch or setting that I've missed in my experimentation? Thanks, Dan Copy/pasting images is not supported. Instead save the image to your PC in the first message, then insert the saved image in the new message. -- ...

Can't send a link from IE 6
Installed Outlook 2003 recently, and now I cannot send a link to a page from IE6. I ran Tweakol2003 so I can receive links, etc. Something really simple I'll bet, but I have looked thru the help files and have not hit on it yet. Thanks for any guidance ... John Patch <fred@hotmail.com> wrote: > Installed Outlook 2003 recently, and now I cannot send a link to a > page from IE6. I ran Tweakol2003 so I can receive links, etc. How do you know you can't send it? -- Brian Tillman Usually when the you try and send a link, a Outlook form comes up over the IE screen jus...

only the first 5 columns of a 10 column excel spreadsheet sort
How do I get the whole spread sheet to sort? There is a blue lox for the first 5 columns that limits the range of the sort. How do I remove it? Using Office 2003. Maybe if you remove the Data|list Select a cell in that blue box. Data|list|convert to range jrw562 wrote: > > How do I get the whole spread sheet to sort? There is a blue lox for the > first 5 columns that limits the range of the sort. How do I remove it? > Using Office 2003. -- Dave Peterson ...

copy & paste
i currently use Excel 2003 and have a copy and paste query. i have a spreadsheet called "Orders Wk1" that has tabs for each day of the week and each tab has several column headings i.e Customer 1, Customer 2, Customer 3 etc. I would like a macro that identifies a particular column heading (i.e Customer 2) and then copies the contents of that single column into a separate spreadsheet called "Order Summary"; this needs to be done for each day of the week. The idea is to build up a history of daily orders for Customer 2. Also. each time the macro is activated the data needs...

Problem copy/pasting images from IE8 to MS Office 2007
I've got a weird problem that just started happening last week on one of my PCs (running Vista Home Premium). If I copy an image from IE8, and paste it into MS Office (Word, PPT, Outlook) the first one works fine, but then when I paste subsequent images, I get a copy of the first one. I'm not sure how to clear the clipboard, but I don't think that's even the problem. It gets more weird... When I paste the second time (or any subsequent copy/pastes after the first), it knows the size of whatever item I copied to the clipboard, but it pastes the first image distorted...

Copy & Paste Data from Web into Excel
When I do the above & use Vlookup for numerical data the numeric data is not recognised, although some data are in another excel workbook. How can I sort the data from the web so that I can do a proper vlookup What looks like a numeric field is actually text. This trick often works: In an empty cell enter the value 1 and copy it Select the offending numbers and use Edit/Paste Special->multiply Delete the cell with the 1 Best wishes -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail address "Kelvin Pakaree" <k.pakaree@credcor.co.za> wrote in mes...

can not receive emails with web links attached
Could someone tell me how to change controls to allow for emails with website links attached to come through? I can not receive emails with website links attached. ...

Deleting Linked Source(s)
In Excel 2000, how do you delete a link Source(s)? I know you can 'clear contents' in each destination cell to achieve this, but is there a simpler way. Can be difficult to determine which cells are in fact destination cells. Thanks, Jim This may help you http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en- us;214127 >-----Original Message----- >In Excel 2000, how do you delete a link Source(s)? I know >you can 'clear contents' in each destination cell to >achieve this, but is there a simpler way. Can be difficult >to determine which cells are in fac...

Link to external workbook
I want to change a formula linking to a cell in a workbook on another server so that the server name is used rather than the drive mapping. I have tried the following but I keep getting 'File Not Found': '\\Server Name:\Drive Name\...... (instead of 'G:\..... Please advise. -- R Ormerod \\Server Name:\Drive Name\ Doesn't look like a valid format... I think I'd use windows start button|run type in \\servername and point and click down the paths to find the correct workbook. If you turn "View|toolbars|address bar", then you may be able to see the path...

Link for downloading online statements not visible Mon 2k3
On my financial institution's(TCF Bank) website, there are instructions for downloading online statements that refer to a link on the BALANCES page for MS Money. The problem is that the link apparently doesn't show up in my version (MS Money 2003 ver. 11). I spent some time on the phone with TCF's customer support and frustratingly tried to argue that there was no link to click on to download my statement both in Money and in Internet Explorer. Therefore I thought it was a problem with their website. However, they say that they recently updated their system to automat...

Transposing Links
I'm trying to link one file to another and copy the information. One file lists the info in a column, the other in a row, and I want to be able to drag (copy and paste) the linked info across the row (from the column) in my new file. Is this possible Thanks for your help. I don't think you can do a drag. What you can do is copy the column and do a paste special->transpose. >-----Original Message----- >I'm trying to link one file to another and copy the information. One file lists the info in a column, the other in a row, and I want to be able to drag (copy and p...

Tracing Links #2
Frank, That tells me what file I am linking to, but what I want to identify i which cell in my current worksheet is linked to these externa worksheets, as I cannot find a reference to the external documen anywhere in my current workbook. The reason I ask is that I am trying to avoid the "Do you wish t update links" message when opening my file. Regards, Stev -- Stephen Pai ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Stephen Pain's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1526 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.co...

The opertion failed. An object could not be found
Hello, Outlook 2003, XPSP2 When I click on an email link (on a web page for example) I get the above mentioned error message and nothing happens. Could this have happened after importing saved settings from the same machine (after a reformat/reinstall)? After doing this, I had an error where outlook was looking for Outlookmail.FQDN.com-00000012.pst (could not be found). I don't use PST files, but rather an connected to Exchange - even though I have 2 POP3 accounts configured in Outlook. This happens on 2 machines on which I have imported settings. No other user on these machin...

Q: How to paste HTML source directly into HTML message?
I'm in a situation where I want to take HTML source from a web page and send it to someone so that the email looks like the web page. I can't figure out any way to get the source into an HTML as *source* and not text. For example I want to copy & paste this: <strong>Hi there!</strong> And have it show up like this (in bold, of course): Hi there! Any thoughts? Thanks in advance! ...

sorting activities for each lead/contact by actual end dates
When I view the activities associated with each lead and contacts, the actual end date are not shown. Does anyone know how I can dispaly this field? The activities list in workplace does show the actual end dates but we'd like to see that when we access the list through indivial contact/lead record. Thanks, Victoria Hi Victoria, There is no good out of the box way to do this in MSCRM today. We're working hard to fix this for v2.0. Many of our customers have worked around this issue by registering for a post call out on the activity creation, and then having a custom object wh...

Business Portal 2.5 -- Linking 3 Web Parts
Hi, Can someone tell me if this is possible, I have been working on it and can't seem to get it to fly. I have my 1st web part that shows inventory master item information and a few fields off of the item card. This drives a 2nd web part that shows summary inventory information on that item by site. This works fine. What I want to do is tie a 3rd web part in that gives me detailed transaction information for that particular site (the 2nd web part). This 3rd web part works fine on it's own but shows all transactions for all sites for all items by default. I have tried ...

Pasted fractions converted to dates
I'm trying to copy a table containing text, decimals and fractions from a word table into excel. How can i stop the fractions from becoming dates when pasted? ie. 1-5/8 becomes 1/5/2008 and 9/16 becomes 16-Sep. Its the hyphen that is causeing the trouble. A fraction in Excel has the form 1 5/8 with a space between the integer and the fractional parts Can you get rid of the hyphen in the Word doc? best wishes Bernard "Jon_C" <JonCCrouch@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1192110561.240426.147550@o3g2000hsb.googlegroups.com... > I'm trying to copy a table containin...

Pasting picture files to Excel
Whenever I paste ia jpg picture nto Excel (or Word for that matter), I get only 3 choices (bitmap, metafile (bigger than bitmap), and photoediting (bigger than both)) . My question is, is there anyway to paste in a picture to an Excel file, but keeping it compressed as a jpeg file, this way the excel file size doesn't grow by leaps and bounds? Thanks. Matt: Since Excel has the ability of editing a picture, the software has to limit its pictures to those formats that MS has editing tools to work with. That's why you can't easily set up JPG or GIF pictures as embedde...

Sorting and Displaying data
I have some data, a list of names with locations and a single number. Something like: Steve 4 Boston Mary 3 Washinton Al 6 Boston Frank 2 Chicago Mort 8 Boston I want to have a seperate sheet that automatically lists the people from each city, sorted by the number. I would need this list to update 'on the fly' as new names are added with new numbers. So the output should be something like BOSTON WASHINGTON Mort Mary Al Steve etc. Thanks for any advice... ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup...

Paste row under existing data
Hello to the group, this is the first time I'm here and I'm getting a little desperate looking for a solution. I hope I'll find someone who can help me with this. Anyone who helps me has a virtual beer from me, cause this is rather urgent and I don't know how to do it. :-) Okay, here's the deal. I'm using Excel 2000. I have a worksheet which is used to enter different kinds of data (no kidding). When it's all entered, it creates a row of 5 cells which needs to be copied to another worksheet in another file for tracking purposes. Furthermore, it needs to be done for...

Excel: Allow to turn on / off automatic header selection in sorts
Is there a way to turn off automatic selection of header rows in Excel when sorting data? I routinely sort a section of data by the first three columns, and a majority of times Excel wants to make the first row selected a header row. Extremely annoying. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "...

Link to feed query
Hello everyone Hope to be posting in the correct section. OK I have a query that returns some records. One of the fileds that is returned is the path to the image file ex: "\\VAC\RELEASE\000B8765.TIF" When I click on it, it opens Windows Picture and Fax Viewer so I can see the image. This image contains some lines that OCR software tired to recognize. Those lines here feed to the master table that I'm quering. After opening the image I count the number of lines. I them querie the database to return me the number of lines that have "\\VAC\RELEASE\000B8765...

Is it possible to "Link" contacts in multiple Addresss Books?
In particular, I keep a list of Contacts to send to my Blackberry. Blackberry is trained to go to the "BB Contacts" address book and retrieve the information. This book is simple a partial list of those in the "All Contacts". What i would like to do is change the data for a contact in the "All Contacts" book and have it automatically change in the "BB Contacts" address book. Sometimes it's difficult to remember which Address Books a contact is contained in and then go in to change each entry for that contact. Linking the address ...

How do I reference another workbook in VB?
Hello, Say I have this command in a sheet's VB code: Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Select Now instead of referencing Sheet1 in the current workbook, I want to reference Sheet1 in OtherWorkbook.xls. How can I make this work? Any help would be greatly appreciated! =) -Mike Mike You could do something like this... Dim wbOther as workbook Set wbOther = Workbooks.Open( "C:\YourPath\OtherWorkbook.xls") wbOther.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Select If it's open then just Workbooks("OtherWorkbook").Sheets(...... Will suffice ...

How to update absolute MDB file paths in Excel worksheet
Dear All, My Excel worksheet contains many queries to a single Access-MDB-file. When I send the worksheet and the database to a colleague in another network Excel can't update the queries any more because it doesn't find the Access file. Obviously Excel stores the links to the Access file as absolute paths (like "X:\something\database.mdb"). How can I change alle the links to the Access file without creating every query again? Is it possible to store relative links to the Access file instead of absolute links? Unfortunately the Edit->Links tools does not work for data...