How to insert ALT+ENTER (new line) with Replace

Hi All,

I am trying to find a way or inserting ALT+ENTER (new line) in certain
places in text strings in cells. In MS Word this is done using the replace
command (just replace a given character with "^l" - voila).

In Excel, I'd also like to replace all "#" characters I have in cells that
only have text with the equivalent of "^l" (ALT+ENTER) to create a new line
in the cell

Can anyone help or point to where I may find help?

Thanks a lot,

JS

0
jfs (4)
6/24/2004 11:29:48 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Edit>replace, find what #
replace with  char 10

do as follows, after you have entered the number sign (pound sign for some)
click in the replace with box, hold down alt while typing 010 in the numpad,
release alt
replace all

--
Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"John Svendsen" <jfs@amcham.com.br> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to find a way or inserting ALT+ENTER (new line) in certain
> places in text strings in cells. In MS Word this is done using the replace
> command (just replace a given character with "^l" - voila).
>
> In Excel, I'd also like to replace all "#" characters I have in cells that
> only have text with the equivalent of "^l" (ALT+ENTER) to create a new
line
> in the cell
>
> Can anyone help or point to where I may find help?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> JS

0
terre081 (3244)
6/24/2004 11:57:32 PM
Hey Peo,

Thanks a million!!!!!

works perfectly :-)

JS

"Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Edit>replace, find what #
> replace with  char 10
>
> do as follows, after you have entered the number sign (pound sign for
some)
> click in the replace with box, hold down alt while typing 010 in the
numpad,
> release alt
> replace all
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>
> (No private emails please, for everyone's
> benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum)
>

> "John Svendsen" <jfs@amcham.com.br> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I am trying to find a way or inserting ALT+ENTER (new line) in certain
> > places in text strings in cells. In MS Word this is done using the
replace
> > command (just replace a given character with "^l" - voila).
> >
> > In Excel, I'd also like to replace all "#" characters I have in cells
that
> > only have text with the equivalent of "^l" (ALT+ENTER) to create a new
> line
> > in the cell
> >
> > Can anyone help or point to where I may find help?
> >
> > Thanks a lot,
> >
> > JS

0
jfs (4)
6/25/2004 12:31:23 AM
My pleasure!

--

> Hey Peo,
>
> Thanks a million!!!!!
>
> works perfectly :-)
>
> JS
>
> "Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Edit>replace, find what #
> > replace with  char 10
> >
> > do as follows, after you have entered the number sign (pound sign for
> some)
> > click in the replace with box, hold down alt while typing 010 in the
> numpad,
> > release alt
> > replace all
> >

> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Peo Sjoblom
> >
> > (No private emails please, for everyone's
> > benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum)
> >

> > "John Svendsen" <jfs@amcham.com.br> wrote in message
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I am trying to find a way or inserting ALT+ENTER (new line) in certain
> > > places in text strings in cells. In MS Word this is done using the
> replace
> > > command (just replace a given character with "^l" - voila).
> > >
> > > In Excel, I'd also like to replace all "#" characters I have in cells
> that
> > > only have text with the equivalent of "^l" (ALT+ENTER) to create a new
> > line
> > > in the cell
> > >
> > > Can anyone help or point to where I may find help?
> > >
> > > Thanks a lot,
> > >
> > > JS

0
terre081 (3244)
6/25/2004 12:37:29 AM
You Nords have to stick together.

(you'll see why later!)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
> You Nords have to stick together.
>
> (you'll see why later!)

um .. this wouldn't have anything to do with EURO 2004, would it ? <g>

--
Rgds
Max

0
demechanik (4694)
6/25/2004 8:34:16 AM
Nah, in another thread in a different newsgroup, Peo was harsh <vbg> with
another poster.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
Please respond in thread
xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com
----

0
demechanik (4694)

How to erase a line drawn using line bar next to + = bar
I drew a line to separate text but now cannot get rid ot it. When I edit or move the text the line keeps reappearing even if the text is cut and pasted it moves with it, or stays with what it left See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/CantGetRidOfLine.htm. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "janetland" <janetland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0EAC6171-7D72-4664-A41F-A4D7388B213F@microsoft.com... >I drew a line to separate text but now cannot get rid ot it. When I edit or > move the text the line keeps reappearing even if the tex...

overcoming zero values in line graph
I have a 12-month line graph where some of the earliest and most recent data is still zero. Is there a way to have Excel not plot zero values - to avoid the big rises and drop offs they cause - and, rather, just have the graph start and end wherever there is positive data? (NOTE: for multiple reasons, I can't erase the formulae in the cells yielding the zero values, or have them display the N/A message....) Thanks!!! Marika :) There is no reason why you cannot have a 2nd data set that has the N/A values. Plot this second set and use the first for whatever you are using it ...

Entering Todays date in an excel spreadseet
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0020_01C56708.1CBA5520 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have a need to automatically save the current date to a cell in an = excel spreadsheet every time the sheet is saved. Today() always returns the current date, so once I open the sheet on a = new day I can no longer see the date the information was last updated, = i.e. saved. Any help would be appreciated. ------=_NextPart_000_0020_01C56708.1CBA5520 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1&q...

Cutting a line in a line chart when data series stops
I have a series like so: Jan 10 Feb 10 Mar 11 Apr 12 May Jun Jul And so on - the rest of the year is blank. When I draw a line chart for the full 12 months the series draws a line up to April, then plummets to zero in May. I want the line to just stop at April. If I use a series as above and genuine empty cells for the end of the year this ok, but since my May cell reads =IF($A11<=$D$17,G11,"") the "" does not seem to get recognised as a blank cell. Please help!! Change your formula to =IF($A11<=$D$17,G11,NA()) -- David Biddulph "DannyS" <Da...

new currency format
How can I add a new currency format? I want to have CCN appear before the amount. select your cell(s) format|cells|number tab|Custom category "CCN"0.00 Maybe???? Poison wrote: > > How can I add a new currency format? I want to have CCN appear before the > amount. -- Dave Peterson <Format> <Cells> <Number> tab, Click on "Custom", and select one of the currency formats that you like. Then, just select the currency sign in the "Type" window, and change it to CNN -- HTH, RD ---------------------------------------------------...

Inserting Navigatable Calendars into Excel
Using Excel 2000 in a Windows 2000 O/S, is it possible to generate a calendar and be able to navigate from one month to the next using a drop-down selection list? Thank you. -- LPS LPS See Ron de Bruin's site for Calendar instructions. http://www.rondebruin.nl/calendar.htm Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 07:37:02 -0800, LPS <LPS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Using Excel 2000 in a Windows 2000 O/S, is it possible to generate a calendar >and be able to navigate from one month to the next using a drop-down >selection list? > >Thank you. ...

Queue Service And New Exchange Service
CRM 3, W2003, SQL 2K, Exchange Server 2003-Enterprise CRM installed on ExServer01 (CRM Router Not installed). Recently (past 2 or 3 weeks) our IT guys setup and began using a new Exchange Server - ExServer02. ExServer01, is still operational but not for long. This is a follow post (Thanks to Dave Ireland for the prompt reply on first issue.) regarding switching CRM to another Exchange Server and the Queue Service. Found out our Help Desk is actually using the CRM Queue so am assuming we need to get the Queue Service running on the new server. How do we do that? Thanks y'all -- ...

Determining when user adds new records
I have a form that allows adding new records. I want to set a few controls to particular values (based on user ID and location) when the new record is first displayed. Can I trap the new record addition anywhere? I don't think you can trap it per se. but you can set a timestamp when the new record is created, and by whom. Use the Current event: Sub Form_Current() If Me.NewRecord = True Then Me.txtTimeStamp = Now Me.txtUser = fOSUserName() End If End Sub The fOSUserName function is here: http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0008.htm -- Ar...

Why does IE always open minimized windows when opening a new window?
When I minimize a window, to refer to later, and then open another window, the minimized window opens to full screen for a few seconds before the new window appears. Why can't IE not open a new window without maximizing some other window at the same time? Is there a solution to this problem? Kathy -- scrimaglia Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com scrimaglia wrote: > When I minimize a window, to refer to later, and then open another > window, the minimized window opens to full screen for a few seconds > before the new window appears. Why can't IE not ...

Budget Question- Income disappears after i entered it
I set up the Essential budget by entering my income and expense. When I go back to check the budget it shows that I have 0$ income for both Actual & Budgeted. This happend twice within the same month. Any ideas why this would happen? Thanks! ...

Insert page from another Publisher file
I am trying to insert a page from one Publisher doc into another Publisher doc. I don't want to COPY/PASTE since that would mean I would have to reformatt the text. Help. If it is only one page, use the Painter tool. Open help and read how to use it. Copy/paste from one Publisher document to another doesn't change the formatting, have you tried? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Mark Davies" <Mark Davies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4FB773EB-AE03-484E-8818-EED12FFAC0FB@mi...

How can I add values from several worksheets in a line chart seri.
I have an Excel document with 12 (monthly) worksheets. I want to make a line chart pulling data in one cell (same cell on each sheet) from each of the twelve sheets. In other words, Jan F2 + Feb F2 + Mar F2, etc. Can I do that on the chart's Source Data menu in the Series/VALUES field? If so, what is the proper language/formula. If not, what are my options? Do I have to make a total page and pull from it? Also, is it possible to make the Category (X) axis label be the Worksheet Name (Jan, Feb, Mar) Lastly, is there a place that gives sample formulas for someone trying to brush...

insert picture on the receipt
Hello. I am trying to insert company logo (JPEG file) into the receipt. Is there anyway We can insert the picture into the receipt? I see 'Logo Filename (Header)' section in the receipt property. How should I insert it? Where should I save the file and how can i connect it to the receipt? Can JPEG file loaded into the system? If not, which file type should I use? Please be advised. thank you. On Nov 12, 11:46=A0am, Alex <blacksk...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello. > I am trying to insert company logo (JPEG file) into the receipt. > Is there anyway We can insert the picture i...

Outlook 2003 new installation
Just completed loading MS Office 2003 on Windows 2000. Everything worked fine until I tried to send an email, when the following message appeared: "Can't contact LDAP Directory Server (81)." Searching the Microsoft Knowledge Base yielded no information (that I can find). Can anyone help? ...

new user #2
Can I import yahoo mail to MS Outlook? I have the same problem. I upgraded my Yahoo account, so I can connect to it with Outlook2003. Then the connection was successful, but nothing happened. Could someone please help us! Thank you very much!!! -Ray. ...

new AD but old Exchange
Okay, I was forced to recreate my AD after my DC kicked the bucket and my backups of that box decided to die at the same time :( So bye bye original AD. How can I get my Exchange server to magically exist in the new AD I've created. (I've yet to tackle this, still patching my new DC). Logically I think I'll have to setup a new exchange install and restore mailboxes/PF's from my last backup which is 4 days ago (Friday, since old DC died on Monday Night) Any advise is welcomed, thanxs! Hi You need to create new exchange server…. If you have the same AD FQDN it is very e...

use forwarded email address on new emails
I have my emails forwarded to my ISP. I want all new out going emails to have the address of the account that forwards to the ISP. I don't want any one to see my ISP address. Is this possible with Outlook 07? Thanks navanax wrote: > I have my emails forwarded to my ISP. I want all new out going emails to > have the address of the account that forwards to the ISP. I don't want any > one to see my ISP address. Is this possible with Outlook 07? Thanks In the e-mail accounts that YOU define inside of Outlook, put whatever you want as your e-mail address. Ra...

Can't create a new public folder.
I ran into the following problems: In the System Manager, the "public folders" container doesn't list public folders and system folders. Also when I tried to create a new public folder, the system didn't response at all, no even giving me any error message. Does anyone happen to know what the problem is? Thanks a lot in advance! "sun" <sun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F80E3901-55EB-42AA-9914-6069F19CAE90@microsoft.com... >I ran into the following problems: > > In the System Manager, the "public folders" container d...

OL2007 CURSOR LOCATION: Replies to Emails or Opening New Emails
Whenever I hit "Reply", "Forward" or "New" emails, I cannot determine where my cursor location defaults to. It used to be on "Reply", it would land in the text entry area. Now there is no blinking cursor, and I need to manually click in an area to either add a name, or to start typing text. Is there any setting that I can use to "reset" the cursor location? I've discovered that on the Reply emails, the "cursor" will land on the Send Button...but not consistently "BirdMan" wrote: > Whenever I hit...

Unable to add email account to new users or old users
I have tried to add new users with new email accounts. The user account is created but does not add a email account. The exchange tabs show up but there is no information in them I have also used the exchange wizard to add a email account to current domain user. The wizard says works BUT when check the properties on the user is show no email account under the exchange tab. -- Donovan Please use my new email account at donovan@nglm.com Pls check this http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;317654 -- Jammyù�ٴ� "Donovan Ellis" <donovan@nglm.com>...

Creating New E-Mail Outlook 2002 sp21
When attempting to create new email an "unspecified error" occurs and precludes me from completing the emial. Am using Office XP suite with Outlook 2002 sp1. Original issue was just a single notification and when closed would allow me to create message. Has progressed to where error frame self propagates continuously, does this sound viral ? Certainly doesn't sound healthy. Have you tried Detect & Repair? (look in Help) Is your virus checker running the latest updates - with what results? K "Scott" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

Report not pulling all lines in recordsource
Hello, I have a report that is running off a table (tblSuperCompliance). The report has two subreports on it. What's happening is that there are 4 records on tblSupercompliance. The report will show data for only two of the records. When I delete one of the records that is showing up on the report, one of the other records takes its place in the report. I changed the margins of the report to .25 all the way around. When I change it back to 1", all of the records show up again on the report except that there are 4 hits to each record. Does anyone have an explanation on how this...

alt e
I cannot get the dropdown menu when I press ALT +E. I do get the Edit menu highlighted, but I don't get the dropdown. I have to press ENTER before I get the dropdown. I am used to pressing ALT +E, then P for paste or T for cut, or C for copy, which is much faster. Is there a default I can change? THanks. Jim I don't know how to fix this but Ctrl-c to copy Ctrl-x to cut Ctrl-v to paste will work faster -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "jim" <jbeatty@mail.sdsu.edu> wrote in message news:3a7f01c374d7$1ebed780$a4012...

Scanner not in Insert menu
I have created a new profile for a user on an XP machine, and the Scanner option no longer appears in the Insert menu when editing a new email. Is there an easy way to get this back? Thanks, is the scanner installed for the new user? is the account type (admin, power user, limited user etc) the same as for the old user? Some options will not be available to limited users - it depends on the scanner software. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http...