How to insert a number sequence in irregular rows or columns of Excel - just as 'Listnum' field would do in MS Word

Hi,

I cannot find in the Help files of my Excel '97 how to insert, in
effect, a field which would increase by one every time I copy it
into a different cell.  I only know how to insert such a series
over a contiguous set of rows or columns using the Edit>Series
menu.

Does anyone here please have an answer to this problem?  Or is
there one??

Thank you for taking the trouble to read this enquiry.

avril

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

To create sequential numbers in column A, enter the following formula in
cell A2:

   =MAX($A$1:A1)+1

Copy this formula to another cell in column A, to create the next number.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
2/13/2004 9:32:33 PM
"Debra Dalgleish" <dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com> wrote in message
> To create sequential numbers in column A, enter the following
formula in
> cell A2:
>
>    =MAX($A$1:A1)+1
>
> Copy this formula to another cell in column A, to create the
next number.

> av wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I cannot find in the Help files of my Excel '97 how to
insert, in
> > effect, a field which would increase by one every time I copy
it
> > into a different cell.  I only know how to insert such a
series
<snip>

> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
> http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Thank you Debra.  I will certainly use that.
avril

Lookup based on criteria in 2 columns

MS Money 95 data files

Counting number of X's in a column

Inserting form values into a table

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Excel not Access

Excel 2007

Password Issue with MS Money 2003

Trying to find out which numbers occure most often
I�m giving exams to students and want to see if the students are missin the same questions in every class. I have a simple spreadsheet tha has me enter the question number into the column each time a questio is missed. The MODE function can tell me which number is occurrin most often. However, I need to see if there is any other numbers tha are occurring often as well. Is there a command that will allow me to look at the second mos entered number? For example, if I have 5,3,3,2,3,4,3,4,1,3,4, my mod would be 3 as that�s the number that repeats the most. However, happens 3 times and that...

Copy entire row where CellValue=0

How do I use traffic lights in excel

Grammar check not working

adding name /creating field/query?

help with simple maths in excel

Opening Excel Workbooks

Excel DNS query

Number 040
How can I put the numbers starting by zero? I want to put the number 040 as a number but it dont allow me. Any help... -- Drazic ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Drazic's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24602 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=381894 to put 040, enter '040 but this converts it to text. Another method would be to enter 40 and then format the cell as custo and enter 000 in the box. Manges -- mangesh_yada ---------------------------------------------...