How to get data entry time to auto-populate in a cell?

I am using Excel2000 for keeping a Master Station Log (MSL).  We add a
new row for each entry and in each row is a cell where we type the time
that the entry is made.  The cell is in row  B and I would like to know
how to make it automatically populate cell B with the time that Cell A
is populated.  Can anyone help me out??  Thanks,
Justin

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

That should be Excel2003, sorry.
Justin

J_P wrote:
> I am using Excel2000 for keeping a Master Station Log (MSL).  We add a
> new row for each entry and in each row is a cell where we type the time
> that the entry is made.  The cell is in row  B and I would like to know
> how to make it automatically populate cell B with the time that Cell A
> is populated.  Can anyone help me out??  Thanks,
> Justin

Hi Justin

Right-click the sheet's tab > View Code.

Paste this:

    If Target.Column = 1 Then
        With Target.Offset(0, 1)
            .NumberFormat = "hh:mm:ss"
            .Value = Time
        End With
    End If
End Sub

Amend the NumberFormat as required.

Regards

Steve

0
britwiz (47)

cell
Are there any way to add text and a function in the same cell? For example Hello =sum(XX:XX) Try something like ="Hello "&SUM(A1:A10) -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com chip@cpearson.com "danne" <modig123@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:0a7f01c36335$498056f0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Are there any way to add text and a function in the same > cell? For example Hello =sum(XX:XX) Sure, for example: ="Hello = "&SUM(A1:B1) For more info, try MVP Debra Dalgleish's &...

Macro or Formula needed to search data in cells
Hi I am looking for a way to create a formula/macro to do the following: My worksheet setup: A1:A30000 C1:C5000 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 01 04 05 06 08 09 12 22 23 27 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 01 03 05 06 07 08 09 14 22 32 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 etc Each cell contains a 10 number sequence. The range A1:A30000 is my randomly generated sequence. And C1:5000 is my database of archived sequences. If I wish to check if the combination in cell A1 is anywhere in the range C1:5000. I use the formula. =IF(COU...

Auto-Maximise Windows in SO Manager
We have a retailer who has a small screen and therefore runs at a 800x600 resolution. Problem is, the windows in Manager then need to be constantly moved around and it drives them nuts. I have tried just changing the screen res but they aren;t happy with that as it makes the text too small. Is there any way that the windows in manager can be set to automatically maximise? Thanks, Matt -- *Matthew Warr* Retail Technology Ltd http://www.rtl-world.com 800x600 is so 1980s. You need 1280x1024 for any reasonably modern software. 1024x768 is a bare minimum. RMS is designed for 1280x1024...

Search for data in a column bring all related items in other colum
I have data in the excel sheet with .A column for OrderNo and B Column for items for that Order. A B ORD001 ITEM1 ITEM2 ITEM3 ORD002 ITEM4 ITEM1 ITEM5 There are more than thousand orders.I want search for an Order so that it brings all items with it. I cannot use filter in A column as it doesn't recognise blank cell.So Option to repeat order nos in A for every item involves a lot of data entry. Any Solution ? I'd fill those empty cells in column a with the previous value. And us...

how do I get more than 19 bars on a bar chart
Hi! I have three columns of data each containing 84 entries. These are grouped in threes, and I wish to create a bar chart to show the comparison between groups A, B and C. I use the chart wizard, create a bar chart, then create the series. Then for each series I go down the column with CTRL held down, selecting each third entry. This is fine for 19 entries, but when I click to select entry no. 20, the series clears itself. If I highlight 20 entries and then click on Insert/chart, I get the message 'Series formula is too long'. Can anyone explain please how to over come t...

TabCtrl need to get rid of OK, ESC events
hi, i'm working on a CFormView subclass that contains a CTabCtrl subclass, which has two tabs. Each tab displays a CDialog subclass (tab1dialog, tab2dialog) that houses each tabs controls i learned all this from http://www.codersource.net/mfc_ctabctrl.html http://www.codersource.net/mfc_dialog_message.html now the PROBLEM is that I'm unable to get rid of the ENTER/ESC messages, which make my dialogs (for each tab) dissappear!!! arrghh.. i read online that overriding OnCancel() and OnOK() and PretranslateMessage() work, but in overriding those in the CDialog subclasses (tab1dialog,...

Compare cells, update based on Ifs
I need to compare cells to the cell above them and to the right of them. Based on the comparisons I'll need to update the original cell with one of those adjoining cell values. After I finish with one column then I need to repeat the procedure on the column to the LEFT of the original column. I know IF, THEN and ELSE statesments but I don't know VB for Microsoft Office products. Range could be all 65,000+ rows on a workseet Start on ColumnJ, Row2 If ColumnJ, Row2 is Null _ If ColumnK, Row 2 is Not Null _ If ColumnJ, Row 1 is Not Null _ ColumnJ, Row2 Value is ...

If cell value is greater than another cell value, clear contents.
Okay, hopefully this is the last question today! I've found the below formula in one of the posts here, but my brain has completely failed on me and I'm not sure how to adapt it to my requirements. I have a value which is entered by the user after a prompt, that populates in cell G4 in a sheet called 'Lookup'. For arguments sake, the current value is 30/11/09. I have another worksheet, 'Data', which has a column populated with dates (say column B). I'd like a macro that looks in column B on the data sheet, and clears out any dates which are gr...

Why does linked data from blank cells become a zero?
When linking data within the same workbook (to different tabs) any cell that is empty - shows up in the new tab as a ZERO (0).....what am I doing wrong? I want those cells to remain blank. That's just the way it is .. Instead of : =Sheet2!A1 you could use an error trap: =IF(Sheet2!A1="","",Sheet2!A1) Alternatively, we could suppress the display of extraneous zeros in the entire sheet via: Click Tools > Options > View tab > Uncheck "Zero values" > OK -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1� 22' N 103� 45' E xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot&g...

How change dimensions of data label text box in pie chart?
In Excel 2003, I can't seem to re-shape the data labels text boxes in my pie chart. I can change the font and allignment of the text within the text box. But, if the text defaults onto two or three lines, I cannot stretch the text box out to get the text to stay on one line. Normally, you can pull on the the little handles on the text box. Is there a trick to this that I don't know about? This is a deficiency in Excel's charting capabilities. The text elements seem like regular text boxes, but you are unable to resize or reshape them. Even VBA can't do this. The workar...

Getting an IXPathNavigator's Document
I'm trying to do the functional equivalent of IsNodeDocument(IXPathNavigable myNode, IXPathNavigable potentialRoot), but I can't seem to get any comparisons that will work. If I use MoveToRoot(), I lose the state of myNode, but SelectAncestors(XPathNodeType.Root, true/false) won't work on an attribute. Keith Patrick wrote: > I'm trying to do the functional equivalent of IsNodeDocument(IXPathNavigable > myNode, IXPathNavigable potentialRoot), but I can't seem to get any > comparisons that will work. > If I use MoveToRoot(), I lose the state of >...

Error while synchronizing with net time server
Vista Ultimate SP2 I just noticed that my machine will not synchronize with any of the Internet time servers. It's set to do so automatically, but I see an error saying "An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with [server name]. This happens is I try to sync manually, and it happens with all server (i.e. time.windows.com, time.nist.gov, time-a.nist.gov, time-b.nist.gov, time-nw.nist.gov). Suggestions? Thanks. Ken Isaacson SILENT COUNSEL, a legal thriller www.KenIsaacson.com Ken Isaacson wrote: > Vista Ultimate SP2 > > I just noticed...

Area, perimeter, and color in shape data
Hi everyone, I have Visio Professional 2007. First, I don't have great skill yet in making shape data. But also, I would like to have the following data show in the shape data for various geometrical shapes (like squares, rectangle, or circles, for example): - the area of the shape - the perimeter of the shape - the color of the shape Now, I understand that I can go to Tools > Add-Ons > Visio Extras > Shape Area and Perimeter to get the first two items. I also know that this information will change dynamically as I alter the shape. So far, so good. ...

Multiple Cell Formats
Is it possible for a column to have more than one format, but for those formats to be similar. Eg. I would like to have a multi-format date column. The format can either be Month-Year (Jan-99) or Year only (1999). (I would even like to have something like Jan/Feb-99, but I can live without that.) Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Hi With true Excel dates in column A e.g. 01 Feb 07, in column B =A1 Format>Cells>Number>Custom> mmm-yy will give Feb-07 or =TEXT(A1,"mmm-yy") =A1 Format>Cells>Number>Custom> yyyy will give 2007 or =TEXT(A1,"yy...

Getting data point from an accel chart
I have an excel chart that I want to get the data points(x,y) from. The source data refers to cells in the same sheet, but I don't see any cell in that work sheet. Only the chart. I can run the cursor over the line and get the x,y coordinates for each point. I would like to copy the x,y values, to reproduce the curve in another program ...

Trying to automatically import specific data from Excel into Word:
Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me with this: I'll start by explaining the spreadsheet I created in Excel (an inventory / information worksheet): It is pretty simple; approximately 12 columns. The key column is the item number / UPC / bar code number, then after that there are various information columns including item name, description, condition, picture links, etc. Secondly, I created a template Microsoft Word document that is relatively long, but will have a few lines (give or take...about 7) customized for each item on the inventory. What I am trying to d...

ADDITIONAL INFO RE: Data execution prevention
Since my last post, I have some additional info that might help someone get an insight as to what the problem may actually be. First, I went to start/run and put in "sfc /scannow", and let it run fully. Everything copacetic there. The I checked Admin. tools for the read-out. Under the "Error" heading was this info: Faulting Application rundll32.exe version 5.1.2600.5512, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0. fault address0x00000000 Clicking on the "Online Help" link brought up a blank page - no help. Hoping some terrifically insightful MV...

CRM Integration: data doesn't go from CRM to GP
I'm setting up CRM integration for GP. Setup went ok, data migration from GP to CRM ok. When I add data to GP, it copies to CRM ok. I can't seem to get any CRM data to copy to GP. No messages in event viewer. Services are all started (according to documentation) successfully. I'm pretty sure I've configured properly in Settings and Admin tool. My IntegrationUser account is a member of all the required groups. I've turned on 'create customers always' to test, so I should create customers in GP whenever I create an account in CRM, but that's not happe...

Data was deleted and saved by mistake..need to go back
I need to go back to the data before it was saved, can anyone help Richard don't get your hopes up. Unless you have a copy or a backup ... it's gone. Regards Trevor "Richard" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1084801c3bea6$222d5270$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I need to go back to the data before it was saved, can > anyone help ...

How to get an excel doc not saved as "Read Only"
I'm trying to figure out why my Excel doc saves as "Read Only". Is there something I can do to prevent this in the future? Try File>Properties>General tab and see if Read Only is checked. -- Sincerely, Michael Colvin "bunbarn" wrote: > I'm trying to figure out why my Excel doc saves as "Read Only". Is there > something I can do to prevent this in the future? Some additional items to work through: Read-Only in Excel, Problems with http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/readonly.htm --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel ...

Roundin specific input time
Please, I need me. I built a time management database and would like to round specific times up or down. For example whenever someone in time is between 7:16am to 7:33am, I would like it rounded to 7:30am, in times between 8:16am to 8:33am to 8:30am and all other in times around thoses ranges not to be rounded. I have some individuals reporting at 7:30am and some at 8:30am, would prefer the code to also round 8:16am to 8:33am as 8:30am as well. Out time ranges between 4:00pm and 4:10pm round to 4:00pm and ranges 5:00pm to 5:10pm rounded to 5:00pm and all other in times around thoses ran...

Auto complete was empty today anyone know how to fix??
I have hundreds of emails in auto complete and today when I tried to use it they were all gone. this happened to me about 3 years ago and i never found out why. Can anyone help me please.. Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com It happens all the time. You should expect it. The autocompletion cache was never intended to be a substitute for Contacts. You should never use it as such. -- Russ Valentine "mike long" <mlong[at]sunsetmg[dot]com> wrote in message news:u2xeA$DeKHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I have hundreds of emails in auto complete and tod...

Issue in reading data from Excel
Hi All, I have 3 excel files with me. say,Test.xlsx, saved.xls and original.xls. Here Test.xlsx has got reference to saved.xls and original.xls and displays values from both files. But the cells referring to data from Original.xls shows #N/A in Test.xlsx where as data from Saved.xls shows the correct values. (I am using the formula: =HLOOKUP(A5,'D: \Testing\[Original.xls]Output'!$A$1:$CQ$2,2,FALSE) Here, saved.xls and original.xls has got same columns and same data, but if i check the files size of both, they are different. size of Saved.xls is 26 KB and the size of Original.xls file...

Shortcut key
One of the most irksome things in using Visio is having to go up to select an icon to switch between select mode and text entry mode. Is there any shortcuts keys or any trick to make the switch? Thank you, dbuchanan "dbuchanan" <dbuchanan52@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1127084047.892156.41270@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > One of the most irksome things in using Visio is having to go up to > select an icon to switch between select mode and text entry mode. Is > there any shortcuts keys or any trick to make the switch? > > Thank you, > dbuchanan S...

need to get form property
hi, this is probably a very easy solution but I can't figure it out. I have Form A (frm_ARCall), subForm B (sfrm_ARCallInv) and Form C. From Form C, I want to change the Record Source property of subform B. I have tried many things but they have all failed. The latest is: Forms![frm_ARCall]![sfrm_ARCallInv]![Form].[RecordSource] = "fqry_ttARCallInv" NOTE: This line of code is on Form C which is a subform on another form (Form D). Please help -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/201002/1 t...