How to generate a truly empty cell - "" does not work

"" generates a zero-length string, not a truly empty cell. This is
causing problems elsewhere. I'd like to find an output for an IF
statement that will give me a truly empty cell. The current formula
is:

=IF(COUNT(C24:C29)>0,SUM(C24:C29),"")

Any ideas? If it involves a macro (as I think it might, having read
other posts), please explain how to implement it.

Thanks!
0
paulmjkaye (66)
12/10/2007 3:36:44 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

<This is causing problems elsewhere>

It shouldn't. Don't use ISBLANK(A1), use A1=""

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"paulkaye" <paulmjkaye@gmail.com> wrote in message news:20800e76-969f-46c2-a75f-405a5ae459b7@p69g2000hsa.googlegroups.com...
| "" generates a zero-length string, not a truly empty cell. This is
| causing problems elsewhere. I'd like to find an output for an IF
| statement that will give me a truly empty cell. The current formula
| is:
|
| =IF(COUNT(C24:C29)>0,SUM(C24:C29),"")
|
| Any ideas? If it involves a macro (as I think it might, having read
| other posts), please explain how to implement it.
|
| Thanks!

0
nicolaus (2022)
12/10/2007 3:46:14 PM
Please don't keep starting new threads - it just tends to fragment any
answers you get, and to waste the time of those answering questions that
have already been answered.

If C24:C29 are calculated values, then put something like this in the
worksheet code module (right-click the worksheet tab and choose View
Code):

    Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
        With Range("C24:C29")
            If Application.Count(.Cells) > 0 Then
                Range("C30").Value = Application.Sum(.Cells)
            Else
                Range("C30").ClearContents
            End If
        End With
    End Sub

If the values in C24:C29 are manually entered, use the Worksheet_Change
event instead - something like:

        With Range("C24:C29")
            If Not Intersect(.Cells, Target) Is Nothing Then
                If Application.Count(.Cells) > 0 Then
                    Range("C30").Value = Application.Sum(.Cells)
                Else
                    Range("C30").ClearContents
                End If
            End If
        End With
    End Sub

In article
<20800e76-969f-46c2-a75f-405a5ae459b7@p69g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
 paulkaye <paulmjkaye@gmail.com> wrote:

> "" generates a zero-length string, not a truly empty cell. This is
> causing problems elsewhere. I'd like to find an output for an IF
> statement that will give me a truly empty cell. The current formula
> is:
>
> =IF(COUNT(C24:C29)>0,SUM(C24:C29),"")
>
> Any ideas? If it involves a macro (as I think it might, having read
> other posts), please explain how to implement it.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
12/10/2007 3:49:47 PM
I just found out about the other thread you had already.

Five experts put efforts in answering your question. You turned your back on them and started a new thread.

Instead, try formulating your requirements more clearly. Not your question, but what you're trying to achieve.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Niek Otten" <nicolaus@xs4all.nl> wrote in message news:%23xUBIP0OIHA.292@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
| <This is causing problems elsewhere>
|
| It shouldn't. Don't use ISBLANK(A1), use A1=""
|
| --
| Kind regards,
|
| Niek Otten
| Microsoft MVP - Excel
|
| "paulkaye" <paulmjkaye@gmail.com> wrote in message news:20800e76-969f-46c2-a75f-405a5ae459b7@p69g2000hsa.googlegroups.com...
|| "" generates a zero-length string, not a truly empty cell. This is
|| causing problems elsewhere. I'd like to find an output for an IF
|| statement that will give me a truly empty cell. The current formula
|| is:
|| =IF(COUNT(C24:C29)>0,SUM(C24:C29),"")
|| Any ideas? If it involves a macro (as I think it might, having read
|| other posts), please explain how to implement it.
|| Thanks!

0
nicolaus (2022)
12/10/2007 3:54:38 PM
Niek,

Great idea. It's made things a little less clean but it works -
thanks.

JE,

No probs - my apologies. I'm not really sure how everyone is viewing
this group and it seemed as though if the thread gets too old, it
drops off the radar. I'm using Google Groups where a new post to a
thread does not put it back to the top of the list.

Thanks guys,

Paul

On Dec 10, 5:49 pm, JE McGimpsey <jemcgimp...@mvps.org> wrote:
> Please don't keep starting new threads - it just tends to fragment any
> answers you get, and to waste the time of those answering questions that
> have already been answered.
>
> If C24:C29 are calculated values, then put something like this in the
> worksheet code module (right-click the worksheet tab and choose View
> Code):
>
>     Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
>         With Range("C24:C29")
>             If Application.Count(.Cells) > 0 Then
>                 Range("C30").Value = Application.Sum(.Cells)
>             Else
>                 Range("C30").ClearContents
>             End If
>         End With
>     End Sub
>
> If the values in C24:C29 are manually entered, use the Worksheet_Change
> event instead - something like:
>
>     Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
>         With Range("C24:C29")
>             If Not Intersect(.Cells, Target) Is Nothing Then
>                 If Application.Count(.Cells) > 0 Then
>                     Range("C30").Value = Application.Sum(.Cells)
>                 Else
>                     Range("C30").ClearContents
>                 End If
>             End If
>         End With
>     End Sub
>
> In article
> <20800e76-969f-46c2-a75f-405a5ae45...@p69g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  paulkaye <paulmjk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > "" generates a zero-length string, not a truly empty cell. This is
> > causing problems elsewhere. I'd like to find an output for an IF
> > statement that will give me a truly empty cell. The current formula
> > is:
>
> > =IF(COUNT(C24:C29)>0,SUM(C24:C29),"")
>
> > Any ideas? If it involves a macro (as I think it might, having read
> > other posts), please explain how to implement it.

0
paulmjkaye (66)
12/10/2007 4:12:23 PM
Well, there are various methods that "everyone is viewing this group"
with, but most of the 'regulars' are generally using some sort of
newsreaders (or OE) which can thread by reference or subject, rather
than a web portal like Google Groups. So *most* replies within threads
don't go unnoticed, even if the reply doesn't appear at "the top of the
list" (in my newsreader, newer posts are at the *bottom* of the list).

In article
<3d344db5-23e7-46ae-909c-48825cac65e0@w40g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
 paulkaye <paulmjkaye@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not really sure how everyone is viewing
> this group and it seemed as though if the thread gets too old, it
> drops off the radar. I'm using Google Groups where a new post to a
> thread does not put it back to the top of the list.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
12/10/2007 4:26:32 PM
I usually use Google Groups (unless it is acting up), and the latest
post (not just the latest thread) is shown first - click on Sort by
Reply in the left panel.

Pete

On Dec 10, 4:12 pm, paulkaye <paulmjk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Niek,
>
> Great idea. It's made things a little less clean but it works -
> thanks.
>
> JE,
>
> No probs - my apologies. I'm not really sure how everyone is viewing
> this group and it seemed as though if the thread gets too old, it
> drops off the radar. I'm using Google Groups where a new post to a
> thread does not put it back to the top of the list.
>
> Thanks guys,
>
> Paul
>
> On Dec 10, 5:49 pm, JE McGimpsey <jemcgimp...@mvps.org> wrote:
>

> > Please don't keep starting new threads - it just tends to fragment any
> > answers you get, and to waste the time of those answering questions that
> > have already been answered.
>
> > If C24:C29 are calculated values, then put something like this in the
> > worksheet code module (right-click the worksheet tab and choose View
> > Code):
>
> >     Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
> >         With Range("C24:C29")
> >             If Application.Count(.Cells) > 0 Then
> >                 Range("C30").Value = Application.Sum(.Cells)
> >             Else
> >                 Range("C30").ClearContents
> >             End If
> >         End With
> >     End Sub
>
> > If the values in C24:C29 are manually entered, use the Worksheet_Change
> > event instead - something like:
>
> >     Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
> >         With Range("C24:C29")
> >             If Not Intersect(.Cells, Target) Is Nothing Then
> >                 If Application.Count(.Cells) > 0 Then
> >                     Range("C30").Value = Application.Sum(.Cells)
> >                 Else
> >                     Range("C30").ClearContents
> >                 End If
> >             End If
> >         End With
> >     End Sub
>
> > In article
> > <20800e76-969f-46c2-a75f-405a5ae45...@p69g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
>
> >  paulkaye <paulmjk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > "" generates a zero-length string, not a truly empty cell. This is
> > > causing problems elsewhere. I'd like to find an output for an IF
> > > statement that will give me a truly empty cell. The current formula
> > > is:
>
> > > =IF(COUNT(C24:C29)>0,SUM(C24:C29),"")
>
> > > Any ideas? If it involves a macro (as I think it might, having read
> > > other posts), please explain how to implement it.- Hide quoted text -

pashurst (2576)
12/10/2007 7:01:32 PM
Paul,

I gave a solution in the other thread, no VBA.

--
---
HTH

Bob

> Niek,
>
> Great idea. It's made things a little less clean but it works -
> thanks.
>
> JE,
>
> No probs - my apologies. I'm not really sure how everyone is viewing
> this group and it seemed as though if the thread gets too old, it
> drops off the radar. I'm using Google Groups where a new post to a
> thread does not put it back to the top of the list.
>
> Thanks guys,
>
> Paul
>
> On Dec 10, 5:49 pm, JE McGimpsey <jemcgimp...@mvps.org> wrote:
>> Please don't keep starting new threads - it just tends to fragment any
>> answers you get, and to waste the time of those answering questions that
>> have already been answered.
>>
>> If C24:C29 are calculated values, then put something like this in the
>> worksheet code module (right-click the worksheet tab and choose View
>> Code):
>>
>>     Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
>>         With Range("C24:C29")
>>             If Application.Count(.Cells) > 0 Then
>>                 Range("C30").Value = Application.Sum(.Cells)
>>             Else
>>                 Range("C30").ClearContents
>>             End If
>>         End With
>>     End Sub
>>
>> If the values in C24:C29 are manually entered, use the Worksheet_Change
>> event instead - something like:
>>
>>     Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
>>         With Range("C24:C29")
>>             If Not Intersect(.Cells, Target) Is Nothing Then
>>                 If Application.Count(.Cells) > 0 Then
>>                     Range("C30").Value = Application.Sum(.Cells)
>>                 Else
>>                     Range("C30").ClearContents
>>                 End If
>>             End If
>>         End With
>>     End Sub
>>
>> In article
>> <20800e76-969f-46c2-a75f-405a5ae45...@p69g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
>>
>>  paulkaye <paulmjk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > "" generates a zero-length string, not a truly empty cell. This is
>> > causing problems elsewhere. I'd like to find an output for an IF
>> > statement that will give me a truly empty cell. The current formula
>> > is:
>>
>> > =IF(COUNT(C24:C29)>0,SUM(C24:C29),"")
>>
>> > Any ideas? If it involves a macro (as I think it might, having read
>> > other posts), please explain how to implement it.

0
bob.NGs1 (1661)
12/10/2007 7:19:04 PM
On Dec 10, 8:12 am, paulkaye <paulmjk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No probs - my apologies. I'm not really sure how everyone is viewing
> this group and it seemed as though if the thread gets too old, it
> drops off the radar. I'm using Google Groups where a new post to a
> thread does not put it back to the top of the list.

I use Google Groups, too.  Simply click on "Sort by: Latest Message".
0
joeu2004 (766)

Format Cells to Capital Letters
Can you format a cell so that regardless of how you type the letters into the cell it will format it to capitals? John Cannot do this via formatting. You can enforce CAPS by using Data Validation, but this would just make the user have to re-key. Either make sure Caps Lock is on or use event code in the worksheet. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) If Not Target.Cells = Range("A1") Then Exit Sub 'for a column use this next line ' If Target.Column <> 1 Then Exit Sub On Error GoTo ErrHandler Application.EnableEvents = False ...

Validates in XML Spy but generates errors in .Net
Hi. I have a simple schema which validates fine in XML Spy but in .Net I get a Type Exception: [The 'startDate' element has an invalid value according to its data type] The effect I'm looking for is to be able to pass an empty date. The Schema File: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" elementFormDefault="qualified" attributeFormDefault="unqualified"> <xs:element name="search"> <xs:complexType> <xs:sequence> <xs:element name="...

Default Cell format of existing Worksheets got changed automatical
I am using MS Excel 2007. Most of my excel files saved with default cell format as General while creation; currently for the last two days when i open those files the cell content format is showing as currency format. Pls let me how to fix the same If you reference a cell that has a format (other then General), the reference cell will adopt the same format. -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "NGBalaji" <NGBalaji@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:297839C7-D769-4623-94F1-2A77FD179E34@microsoft.com... >I am using MS Excel 2007. Most o...

SHFileOperation not working
This is what I have for deleting the contents of a folder const wchar_t g_wsz_DriverBackupFolder[] = L"C:\\My Folder\\* \0\0\0\0"; { SHFILEOPSTRUCT info; memset(&info, 0, sizeof(info)); info.wFunc = FO_DELETE; info.fFlags = FOF_NOCONFIRMATION | FOF_SILENT; info.pFrom = g_wsz_DriverBackupFolder; if (0 != SHFileOperation(&info)) { DWORD dwError = GetLastError(); ... } } It fails and GetLastError is 6: "Invalid Handle". What the fuck is going on? Offhand, I don't see anything serious here. You have three more \0s than you actually ne...

Wrap Text for Merged Cells
Hi, Can somebody post some good VBA macro for wrapping text in case of merged cells (merged rows as well as merged colums or both merged rows and columns). Lot has been posted in this regard till now but i could'nt find any perfect solution to this. Please help. Mvrk If you've seen lots of code that has been posted, yet you don't say what makes that code "not perfect", how do you expect anyone to respond to your post? Should responders just guess what "perfect" means to you? Try posting back with more information - what you've tried, why it didn...

Does SumIf work with a range?
I thought you could Sumif on a whole range, ie if A1 to A10 was your criteria range, and B1 to D10 was the range from which to sumif. However it only seems to sum what is in B1 to B10. Is that right? I know I could use an array formula, but that might be a bit complex for the recipient of the file. Try =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A10="a")*B1:D10) -- --- HTH Bob (change the xxxx to gmail if mailing direct) <matthew.turner@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1168260202.090015.70420@11g2000cwr.googlegroups.com... >I thought you could Sumif on a whole range, ie if A1 to A10 was your...

Printing Labels (Receipts) For Each Item On Work Order
I need to print labels containing Ship to Address, Item Look up Number and description. Each Item Needs an Individual Label With All of This Information and the Number of Labels Printed Should Reflect The Quantity From a Work Order. I am attempting to do this as a receipt. I am looking at code from existing receipts and trying to cut and paste what I need from diffrent receipts into one that may suite my needs. I am no XML pro to say the least. If anyone knows a better way or has more experience with XML and may wanna help I would appreciate it! ...

FRx export to Excel with formulas to work for XCR columns
The calculation column shows the wrong signs for revenue (normal balance = "C") rows when you export to excel using formulas. The issue is coming from the following setup in FRx: 1. The normal balance was set to “C” in the row format. 2. Print control that was set to use “XCR” in the column layout. 3. Including formulas when exporting to excel. RESPONSE FROM MBS We have found few bugs that were written regarding this issue. One of them states that this is working as designed. The reason they gave is because you should not include formulas when exporting to excel as it...

How can I merge and purge two excel work sheets?

Using Popups to select a range of cells.
Hi All I have a small request for help with code. I need a macro to have popups request the first and last cells in a range , and then to select them. Can someone help? Sub test() Dim Rng As Range On Error Resume Next Set Rng = Application.InputBox("Select your range", _ "Mousework", Type:=8) On Error GoTo 0 If Rng Is Nothing Then Exit Sub MsgBox Rng.Address End Sub HTH. Best wishes Harald "Colin Hayes" <Colin@chayes.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:8mYkILA1YlvLFw7Z@chayes.demon.co.uk... > > Hi All > >...

TRY THIS. IT REALLY WORKS!

change a work order to a sales invoice
I am a new user in RMS and I am working with my auto department. We are working on oan older version of RMS (Pre 1.3). He primarily uses work orders when he has a new order. Once the work is complete on the auto he needs to bill it and take the items out of inventory. He is currently doing a multi-step process: 1) Processes the payment as a negative sale (an accounting nightmare) 2) Then he takes the WO number and does a sale refereing the number 3) Then he manually adjusts his inventory. 4) Because of the way he has processed them, the work orders remain open until he has time ...

Outlook 2003 rules, check messages after sending, not working
Since upgrading to Outlook 2003 (from 2000) we are experiencing problem when using rules and sending messages from other applications (a attachment) We have some rules defined that check messages after sending, dependin on certain words in the subject, the message is moved to another folder This works with no problems when sending messages via outlook but whe sending (as attachment) with word, for example, the message does no get moved. This worked with no problems in Outlook 2000. Also still occurs afte SP2 installation. :( Any advice would be appreciated -- rowland -------------------...

Cell Number Format includeing other Cell Value
Hello, I needed to create some conditional number format - to say so... My goal: Cell A1 content is "m2" as I Enter in cell A2: "10" -> the output to cell A2 should be "10 m2". Cell A1: "Dollars" -> A2: 200 -> shown "200 Dollars"... and so on.... Is that possible in Excel? (don't know VBA - yet :DD) Any help is appreciated! BR, Daniel How about just use a third cell: =a2 & " " & a1 daniel_of_vienna wrote: > > Hello, > > I needed to create some conditional number format - to say so... > M...

combine cells #3
Hello, say you have Mindy in A1, Thomas in B1, how can you combine those in C1 with a space between the names? Mindy, here is one way, =A1& " " & B1 -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Mindy" <Mindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:366327F8-7573-42A3-BF1A-9AEBE0275839@microsoft.com... > Hello, say you have Mindy in A1, Thomas in B1, how can you combine those > i...

Auto fill keeps adding 1 digit or 1 cell
When I try to drag a formula or value down or across the spreadsheet in Excel 2002 (Win XP Professional)it automatically adds 1 didgit to the value or references the cell next door to calculate the formula. How can I make the drag and autofill more accurate? Hi Try draggin with the right mouse button. When you get to the end of your range you get a list of fill options. -- Andy. "Ricardo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2b0bc01c46826$09b920f0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > When I try to drag a formula or value down or across the > spreadsheet...

Office:mac 2004 and Tiger (OS X 10.4)
X-posted to: microsoft.public.mac.office and microsoft.public.mac.office.word. Followup-to: microsoft.public.mac.office.word Hello. Some years ago - although after the release of Tiger, OS X v10.4 in April 2005 - I read in one of the microsoft.public.mac newsgroups a posting from an MVP who was still using Office:mac 2004 with Panther, in this case OS X v10.3.9, and that this was because Office:mac 2004 was developed on Jaguar, OS X v10.2 and only works 100 pct with OS X up to v10.3.9. I have been running Office:mac 2004 on a Powerbook FW800 with Panther, OS X v10.3.9 and now want to...

sum the color cells
hi all. i have data with different color. i one column i have 3 color, blue, yellow and red. now i want to count & sum based on the colors. how to create formula for that? many thanks... reza hi, you have xl07 or higher, you are suppose to have this capability already. see help. i am having research trouble confirming that. if you have xl03 or earlier, see this site.... http://cpearson.com/excel/colors.aspx regards FSt1 "reza" wrote: > hi all. > > i have data with different color. > i one column i have 3 color, blue, yellow and red. ...

Merged Cells #5
Is there some way to find which cells are merged without having to look at each cell? Sometimes I want to move or delete cells and it says" cannot move part of merged cell" or something like that, but it does not show me which cell is merged. Hi Terry, I am not aware of any inbuilt method for displaying merged cells. One possibility would be to use a macro like the following which will select (and therefore temporarily highlight) merged cells. As written, the macro will select all merged cells in the selected range. If the selection comprises a single cell, all merged cell...

Possible to 'copy' cell data into another cell?
If for example A1 contains: hello B1 contains: you Is there a equation/command to put in cell C1 to get it to copy info from other cells i.e. so C1 shows: hello you ???????? =a1 & " " & b1 If you decide you want money or dates, you can use something like: =a1&" "&b1&text(c1,"mm/dd/yyyy") Dave wrote: > > If for example > > A1 contains: hello > B1 contains: you > > Is there a equation/command to put in cell C1 to get it to copy info > from other cells i.e. so C1 shows: hello you > > ??????...

how to make gaps in plotted data when cell has formula
I have a simple data set with a value for each month except June. I want the chart to reflect a gap for June, not a zero value. Although I did tools, options, chart, make empty cells plot as gaps, it still plots the June value as a zero. In an attempt to get rid of div/o error, I have a formula in the data set as If (b5=0, "", c5/b5) . What I'm plotting is the quotient c/b. We have determined that the formula is what is causing the problem. Interestingly, if I open this same worksheet (as is) in quattro pro, the gap appears in the chart. Is there a different way to do th...

Re: how get rid of cells with unused formulas
Actually a much older solution is better for suppressing zero values selectively -- format with a custom format so that the third parameter is empty which is a zero value. This allows you to be selective. Format, cells, number #,###.00;-#,###.00;;@ the fomat of custom formatting is positive numbers; negative numbers; zero; text you can override positive, negative but those are the defaults. see the topic "Create a custom number format" in your Excel Help. related: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/formula.htm --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [s...

workflow suddenly doesn't work.
Hello I've a big pb : 2 days ago, our wrokflow stopped to work. I don"t know why. All workflows (automatic or on demand). I don't know at all what to do : what do I have to check, to do. For info : we are with CRM4. Any help would be so great. Thanks to all Loli please check " Microsoft CRM Asynchronous Processing service" on CRM server .if it is stopped or started? ------ Aamir Blog : http://mscrmsupport.wordpress.com/ ...

message comes up when click a cell
I have been trying to work out how to get a message to come up when you click on a cell. I have attached an example of what I am trying to do, which was in another spreadsheet which I had, but I didn't make it. I noticed the feature and wondered how to do it? Thank you for your help :p File Attached: http://www.exceltip.com/forum/attachment.php?postid=300547 (example.jpg) ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ use DATA/VALIDATION menu. i think "Input...

Excel Cell
Hi, Im trying to read an Excel file using OLE DB. I have around 500 characters in one cell. But the program is reading only 255 characters. How do i make my program to read all characters? Thanks in advance. dnk. hi, DNKMCA ! > Im trying to read an Excel file using OLE DB. > I have around 500 characters in one cell. But the program is reading only 255 characters. > How do i make my program to read all characters? see if this help: -> PRB: Transfer of Data from Jet 4.0LEDB Source Fails with Buffer Overflow Error http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q281...