How to enter informational help text?

I have a number of column headers that I would like to define for users.  Is
there a way to enter text in the background so that when someone hovers over
the column with the mouse, then will get the definition of that field?  These
are customized column fields.  For example- One column is Method of Delivery.
 I want to enter a definition when one hovers over "method of delivery" to
state, " Way in which the data is received. ie.e internet, feed, etc.
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On Feb 18, 12:03=A0pm, amcb <a...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>...=A0Is there a way to enter text in the background so that when someone =
hovers over
> the column with the mouse, then will get the definition of that field?

If I'm reading this correctly, it be no harder than applying right
click->Insert Comment to the desired area.

HTHs.
0
Kidaeshus
2/18/2010 9:19:48 PM
Check your other post.

--

Dave Peterson
0

text box #7
I have created a text box, but when I type in something, and hit enter, I get the error message "REFERENCE NOT VALID". Please help. Thank you We require some more details. Where have you created the textbox, in the sheet or a userform. Are you using the control from the Control Toolbox menu. Are there any macros you are using. Mangesh "Marlis" <Marlis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6C6C6F42-E6CB-4DEB-BB46-C8F923A343C0@microsoft.com... > I have created a text box, but when I type in something, and hit enter, I get > the error message "...

Need one help
Dear Sir/Madam, I need some help that I am working in cousulting firm and we providing solution to clinet as web base and mail base. We are microsoft ceritfied partner and we using win2k3 ent. server on this server exchange2k3 and other is win2k3 with IMail. Till upto now we are proving clients mail solution on Imail base but now we are planing to charge more for mail solution and those are interested to pay then we give them exchange mail solution. Now I having one question in my mind is that in IMail I create diffrent diffrent domain for different web site according to clients. Now o...

please help #8
I am trying to switch info from one XP machine running office 2000 to another XP machine running office 2000 and I have a ton of Macros. How do I successfully move these Macros in excel, so I don't have to recreate them? Hi if you have stored your macros in your personal.xls just copy thie file to your new machine -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Bob Garber wrote: > I am trying to switch info from one XP machine running > office 2000 to another XP machine running office 2000 and > I have a ton of Macros. How do I successfully move these > Macros in excel, so I...

Thanks for all the help on Year-to-date query!
It's so great to know that there are folks out there that can take the time to help someone whose 78 year old brain is slowly turning to gorgonzola cheese! Again, thanX Mikie Francisco 9 @ ATT N E T ...

Equations and Text in same Cell
I am using Excel to write a program. I would like to incorporate text within the same cell as the result of an equation but the I cannot control the number of decimal places that the output displays. I've tried using the Number tab in the Format Cell feature but nothing changes. Is there a way to control the number of decimal places when you are combining text with the results of an equation? yes. you could incorperate the round() funciton. post your formula regards FSt1 "Eric" wrote: > I am using Excel to write a program. I would like to incorporate...

Charting with concatenated numbers and text
I am scatter charting from columns of data (text and numbers) that I concatanate into a long string so that I can use the validate drop down list feature in Excel, which only supports one column. I use Mid, Left and Right functions to then pick the relevant charting data from the string. Unfortunately although the numbers look good, Excel does not treat them the same way that it does with directly entered numbers - and my charts do not display accurately. Any ideas to to fix this problem or suggest a modified workflow. I am not an advanced user but would like to use the drop down li...

Help with mutiple profiles / accounts
Hi there, I have multiple different pop3 accounts i would like to use from 1 profile, is this possible? Please help. I have 3 different pop 3 accounts which i have setup. I also have 3 different data folders that the mail from each account drops into, this works fine. However, how do I set it so that when I reply to an email from 'pop1' it uses the pop1 smtp server and account details and when I reply or create emails for 'pop2' it uses pop2 details (the same for pop3). This was possible in outlook express, in the email window, there was a simply a drop down from which...

Exchange Server Problem (I need help)
Hello to you all! The medical clinic I work at has a network. We all have our own email address. Mine, for example is lpeacock@elcardiologist.com. The problem is this. I can send out email as much as I want and they go where I need them to go. However, when anyone attempts to send any of us email, to our work, we don't get them. Now we had experianced some MAJOR problems recently in the past to where the actual IT lady had to set everything back up because things just went down. So our email accounts worked without any problems. But now, we can't recieve anything from an...

Help with array formula
I need help with an array formula, I have to columns, I need to find the min, the max and average form the two columns added, but I cant create a new column. E.g.; name s1 s2 John 1 1 Peter 3 5 Frank 6 3 min= 2 ( John) Max= 9 (Frank) average= 6.33 Thanks One way (array entered): =MIN(B2:B4+C2:C4) =MAX(B2:B4+C2:C4) =AVERAGE(B2:B4+C2:C4) In article <1164729405.003619.272780@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, GastonFranzini@gmail.com wrote: > I need help with an array formula, > I have to columns, I need to find ...

Help On User Form
Hi All, Can any one help me in this .I have made a orderform with some combobox and tickboxes a simple form i want to collect the data at the end of the sheet .Like when i select certain item from drop down box is there away that data can be collected at the end of the sheet.I Many Thanks in Advance Mastee -- mastee ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mastee's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23826 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398070 Good morning Mastee You really ne...

Formatted Text in Autocorrect, Word 2008 for Mac
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC I want to set up an autocorrect entry where I replace something with =formatted= as opposed to =plain= text. Specifically, I want to replace "qqq" with "QQQQQ" formatted in 14 pt Britannic Bold. However, I cnanot change the signal button from "plain' to "formatted" text. is there a way to do this? Type the word you want to use to replace "qqq" and format it inside your document. Select it, then click on Tools>AutoCorrect. You can now click the "formatted text&...

Help needed in print
hi I am displaying lot of labels and progress bars in side form view. I want to print all the label and progress bar as it looks in the form view. thanks in advance with regards Harish Harish, You might be interested in Joe Newcomber's site, here: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm#Bitmap%20series where you'll find code for screen copying and bitmap printing. Johan Rosengren Abstrakt Mekanik AB "Harish" <harish.k at sify.com> a �crit dans le message de news:OCcSb3u5DHA.2580@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > hi > > I am displaying lot of labels and progress...

Two Copies of Personal Folders Please Help!
I just transfered all of my email from my old computer to my new one and I just noticed that I have two identical copies of my personal folders in Outlook 2003. If I do something to one of them, it happens to both of them. How can I get rid of one of the copies of my personal folders? Also, I don't like the favorites folder. Can I hide or remove it? Thanks. Shannon you can edit the registry, but it'll be easier to make a new profile. http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/ghosts.htm No, you can't hide Favorite folders. Try Ctrl+6 to use the old folder list view. -- Diane...

There is a problem with this website's security certificate
Hi All, This morning I woke up to a problem with my SBS 2008 SSL certificate for the remote company website. When we visit the https://remote.company.com/remote page, we get the following error message: There is a problem with this website's security certificate. Blah blah blah... In short, I reissued, rekeyed, revoked, and created a new SSL certificate at Godaddy...but regardless, I still get the same error message. Is this a problem with IIS? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Ringo A bit more info would be good. As... just wondering, but wha...

How do you make an text box opaque?
I want to use excel spreadsheet and blank out certain parts of a already make form i believe it is called opaque. What do mean by "blank out"? What is it you want to do? HTH Otto "mcnally" <mcnally@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:55729CA5-2247-4433-B73F-0DC151E851A2@microsoft.com... >I want to use excel spreadsheet and blank out certain parts of a already >make > form > i believe it is called opaque. I have a form that I want to put a text box on it and type something over whatever under it. it keeps typing whatever is under i...

Enter stock split in portfolio then...ROI goes haywire?
Has anyone else had this problem... I entered a stock split manually and my ROI figures for that stock became totally messed up. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, is there a fix for it? TIA. JP ...

How can I stop each line of text from capitalizing the first word
When I continue typing line to line, each subsequent line capitalizes the first word even if it is not the beginning of a sentence. I know there some place to turn it off, but I can't find it. JP, Not sure about Pub but in lots of programs, if you hit enter to start a new line, the first word is capitalized. Is this what you are doing? Mike JP wrote: > When I continue typing line to line, each subsequent line capitalizes the > first word even if it is not the beginning of a sentence. I know there some > place to turn it off, but I can't find it. Tools, AutoCorrect ...

Saved text is missing from 2003 word document
When opening a saved 2003 word document the text is missing. See if the text has been inadvertently formatted as hidden or in white color. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "lpaul" <lpaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ED677478-49D2-4461-AE94-8EFBFF2CCAB9@microsoft.com... > When opening a saved 2003 word document the text is missing. ...

Disabling formulas and turning file into text only
I have a workbook in which there are formulas that pull through from other workbooks. I want to make the workbook so that it doesnt ask me to update the formulas everytime and make it so that only the values show up(formulas are no longer needed once computed) Is there a way to do that besides copying and pasting as special? Not 100% sure, but I think you can do this by going edit/links/break links. >-----Original Message----- >I have a workbook in which there are formulas that pull through from other >workbooks. I want to make the workbook so that it doesnt ask me to updat...

Help: Reinstall on new PC won't work
Get the dreaded Activation code doesn't work hardware has changed. I emailed the address on wednesday. No response. I am moving to quicken, but I don't want to do it until I have time. Any way i can get around this for now. Did you have original boxed CD, or a downloaded copy of Money? "Frank Spina" wrote: > Get the dreaded Activation code doesn't work hardware has changed. I > emailed the address on wednesday. No response. > > I am moving to quicken, but I don't want to do it until I have time. Any > way i can get around this for now. >...

Text to Columns #8
I am doing a 'Text-to-columns' activity on particular columns of cells containing numeric digits only .... The data is segmented as required - but I keep 'losing' the leading zero (eg 01753443202) ends up with 1753 in one column, and 443202 in the adjacent one ....... How do I retain the zero. Thx, Don- After you've indicated to Excel where to split the string, click on the next button. One after the other highlight each of the columns you've indicated and click on the Text option "Don" wrote: > I am doing a 'Text-to-columns' activity on ...

Enter returns in Momey 2004
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to enter returns so they do not become income? Let’s say you go shopping and purchase six items using your checking account. You go home and enter the transaction in Money 2004 as a debit using splits to categorize the item you purchased. After a few days you decide that two of the items are not needed and you return them to the store. The store then credits your bank account. Now you go home and enter the return into Money. The returned money to your account has to be entered as income (right?). The money returned to you is not really income. Is the...

Help Re-formatting Cells (not as easy as it sounds)
I have a column of values that are all numbers, however, Excel doesn' recognize them as numbers. (These were dumped into Excel by some othe program). I need to scan through these columns with VLOOKUP to match, but sinc they are treated as text (it appears) I am getting "#N/A" for th entries. Now, all of these data entries appear to be regular numbers, but whe you click on the cell you see an apostrophe in front of each number. Examples looks like: 112358 but the cell has '112358 as the input. When I try to change format, nothing happens (i.e. currency doesnt ad dollar si...

need help on updating figures #3
it was much more complicated than that - i worked it out now though involved alot of absolute cell referencing thanks for your tim -- minx ----------------------------------------------------------------------- minxy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1533 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26959 ...

Hacked Mail Account...please help!
My partner set his account up years ago when he was with his ex, he used her email address as his alternative e-mail address and was unable to change it, due to it being so long ago when the account was set up he cannot remember his secret word. Yesterday completely out of the blue, he was no longer able to get onto his account using his password and he hasnt changed it,. we are now under the impression his ex has hacked his account. He isnt able to get onto his hotmail at all and doesnt remember his secret word. Can somebody help, is there any way to contact support team to try ...