how to edit a single cell as a text field

for example, I want to put some text into a cell and don't want to
change the cell's width, but want to see the whole text... are there a
posibilities to add a scroll into a cell when the thext entered is too
long, or maybe to extend that cell? It's like transforming excel into
word :-) but I want to get to that excel file from acces db later.

soory if I made some mistakes writing that text, I didn't use english
for some long time...
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi

Set cell to desired width and select Format.Cells.Alignment - check 'Wrap
text'
Now you can enter text up to 255 characters into cell. When right border of
cell is reached, the text continues on new text (NB! Not Excel's!) row
(word's integrity is preserved, when possible) after you leave the cell, and
height of row with edited cell in it is adjusted. When the cell width is
changed, the text is reassigned accordingly - sometimes you may need to
double-click on row counter border (at left) to force the heigth adjustment
after that. To insert a 'Hard Return' into text (force a new row) use
Atl+Enter.

--
(When sending e-mail, use address arvil@tarkon.ee)
Arvi Laanemets

"marek_c" <czechmarek@tlen.pl> wrote in message
> for example, I want to put some text into a cell and don't want to
> change the cell's width, but want to see the whole text... are there a
> posibilities to add a scroll into a cell when the thext entered is too
> long, or maybe to extend that cell? It's like transforming excel into
> word :-) but I want to get to that excel file from acces db later.
>
> soory if I made some mistakes writing that text, I didn't use english
> for some long time...

0
garbage (651)

Pivot Table Cycling Through Page Fields Automatically
Hi. I am trying to cycle through a complete set of data in one of the parameters in the "Page" field. For example, there are 500 investments, and I want to compute the internal rate of return (IRR) for each investment based on a series of cashflows for each investment. The IRR is a function that is placed outside the pivot table. As each investment number is chosen, the underlying pivot table cashflow data changes, allow the IRR function to pick up these cashflows and compute the IRR. However, if there are 500 investments, this becomes very time consuming - especially if the...

lost data when opening excel workbooks ; text import wizard popup
When opening many of my excel files ,which all have the same modification date, I come across the text import wizard which states that my text in these files is 'delimited'. All of the files ,including a few word doc.s have had their data changed to show all " y " with two dots above the letter for as far as the eye can see. No import or export has been done with the files and no modifications were done on that date, as far as I know. Is this a corruption problem or is their some 'fix' that I am overlooking. Thanks for any ideas. ...

Wrapping text in a cell
In a single cell, suppose I want text to appear on two lines. Viz: Case One Case Two How do I do that so that I specify the wrap point? Thanks! If you are typing the data into the cell use Alt-Enter between each string to indicate where you want a line break to occur. Case One<Alt-Enter>Case Two Alt + Enter -- Lilliabeth ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Lilliabeth's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27741 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=476428 If you...

Saving a calculated field
First, yes I have read the threads on storing a calculated field and that it is bad mojo to do that. However, I have pay data that I calculate and input to a database and it must be able to be reconciled with our ADP data. So I need the ability to change and fix the data so it does not change as a result of recalculations. I have a form with a field that calculates the pay based on hours and pay rate. I have another field (the "copy" field) next to that one that has the control source set to the database field. I have set the default value of that field to be equal to the...

Locking Formulas to Cells
I don't know if I am using the correct terminology but this is what want to do: I have placed formulas in multiple columns that calculat my sales numbers for a bid. The problem I am running into is that change the bids for every person and when I clear a cell is clears th formula from it as well. Is there a way for me to clear cells withou deleting the formula I have placed inside it? I know that I can jus grab the first cell in the column and drag it down to re-load th formula in that column but I don't want to have to do that. I want th formulas permenant and the data I enter...

How do I add a hyperlink to an individual word in an Excel cell?
I am using Excel 2000 (not by choice) and I need to add a hyperlink to an individual word within the cell, not the whole cell itself. For example in the sentence "Click here or here to go to the appropriate web page." I want the words "here" to each have a separate hyperlink. Any ideas? I can manage some VBA too if necessary. Thanks, Rosalie Hi Rosalie, You can't do that in Excel. You would have to use HTML or Word or some other means. You could fake it, the entire cell would be a link, but you could after assigning the hyperlink select another...

how can I drag formulas with other cell references
example cell A1 contains formula "=stdev(a2:a7) cell a2 contains formula "=stdev(a8:a13) Is it possible to drag the formula down so that cell a3 contains "=stdev(a14:19) and cell a4 contains "=stdev(a20:a25) and so on for cells a5, a6, a7 etc. etc. Hi Bram, See http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm#snkAddr B1: =stdev(OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW()-5,0):OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW(),0)) B2: =stdev(OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW()-5,0):OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW(),0)) It was easier to test and verify using SUM instead of stdev, but the formula is same NOTE the formulas are in a different colu...

Cell Selection?
I have a colum of numbers 198 0 0 198 2 What I need, is to be able to select 3. the 198's are not going to be used in the next part of my equation. That seems simple enough, however all the numbers could be usable (not 198) and I need to use just the first three. Any ideas? One interp / way, using non-array formulas Assuming source numbers in A1 down Put In B1: =IF(COUNT($C$1:C1)>3,"",C1) In C1: =IF(ISERROR(SMALL(D:D,ROW(A1))),"", INDEX(A:A,MATCH(SMALL(D:D,ROW(A1)),D:D,0))) In D1: =IF(A1="","",IF(A1=198,"",ROW())) Select B1:D...

Formulas don't work in certain cells #2
nope, the cells are formatted as numbers. I simply cannot figure thi out. -Jorda -- kalik24 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- kalik247's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1594 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27423 Being formatted as numbers doesn't automatically mean they are numbers. Copy an empty cell formatted to General. Select your range of numbers and Paste Special>Add>OK>Esc Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:59:46 -0600, kalik247 <kalik2...

Access, average several fields in one row
I have several rows of data in a field, I need to average all the entries in one row I have 12 fields for 12 months of data, I need the average of the sum of all non blank entries. For example 3 months completed, the solution in Excel is (field1+field2+field3)/3 I am looking for method to average the sum in Access One way if you can't change your data is to use a VBA function. I've posted one below. You would call it in a calculated field in a query. Assuming your field names are the abbreviated month names the expression might look like the following. Field: fRow...

Is it possible to highlight text?
I'd like to highlight just some of the text in a cell - not the entire thing. Thanks Select the cell and in the edit bar you can then select (highlight) some of the text with the mouse and format how you wish, eg bold, different colour, different background colour, different font/font size etc. Hope this helps. Pete This will NOT work in a formula. Works only if all text. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Pete_UK" <pashurst@auditel.net> wrote in message news:1139215455.134469.285660@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > Select the cell ...

if cell in other worksheet meets criteria, then leave blank.
I have data in worksheet A for each month, for each entity. Then I have a summary page which shows just the averages for each entity for each month. Then I need to create a master summary page which shows just the annual average for each entity, just one line per entity. My Summary page shows Jan-Dec in column A. I have a formula averaging the numbers from worksheet A. Jan-Mar is done. But the rest of the year hasn't happened yet, so April's formula results "#DIV/0!". I have already put in all the formulas for the year to be done with it. But I don'...

need to make a formula that would add a field value to current dat
I have made a form in which I input different values. On of the values is (How Many Days). Now I need to a assign a default value, or expression (not sure which way to go about this) that will take the date value for (Date) and add the value (How Many Days) I figured that the formula should read =sum([Date]+[How Many Days]) But that is not giving me any results, thanx for your help in advance =DateDiff("d", Date(), [How Many Days]) -- Wayne Manchester, England. "J Man" wrote: > I have made a form in which I input different values. On of the values is ...

Evaluate Yes/No Field Based on User Input
Hi. I have a field that is set to Yes/No. I want to ask the user a question and based on their response (whether they type yes or no) I want the query to check the field and return all records marked yes is they type yes and all other records if they type no. How can I do this? Also, could I present them with a simple text box (having yes and no choices) or maybe a check box so they won't have to type anything? If you help me with the first part, this question is a bonus. I'll be happy with just the first question answered. Thanks! A Yes/No field actually stores -...

Fill cells with interpolated values
Hi What is the easiest way to fill cells with linear interpolated values ? e.g. i have value 5 in cell A1, and value 15 in cell A6. Cells A2 ... A5 should now be filles with 7, 9, 11, 13. of course, it's not a big deal to write a formula for interpolation, but maybe there is more simple way, (just by some mouse clicks....?) Biff Select the range A1:A6 with your start and stop value in their respective cells, and then do Edit / Fill / Series / Trend / Linear -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/...

Changing of range (Address) to (Cell)
Hi people I have encounter a problem with the use of range From a recorded macro, it's listed this way ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("Trend").Range("A1:M2,A24:M28"), PlotBy:=xlRow And I edit it to this way ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("Trend").Range("A1:M2," & Cells(StartX, StartY), Cells(LastX, LastY)), PlotBy:=xlRow And obviously VBA compiler won't let me go this easily, it happen to give an "evil-comment" on my source range, May i know how can i solve this Thank You Hi Kaiyang, Try this, assuming the...

Payee field is too small
CHECK CRD PURCHASE 08/14 CHIPOTL That's what my bank, Wells Fargo, downloads into my Payee field in money for a burrito at Chipotle. The bank's online account history gives the store's full name, location and some additional transaction reference numbers but it was all cut off at the 32nd character! Why does the available space in the Payee field on the screen stretch out so much further than this meager limit? Also, the payee rules manager needs to be a little more powerful to accommodate my bank's weird payee descriptions since the date of each transaction is put i...

html or plain text in email
Using MS Outlook 2000, when I want to reply to or forward an email, how do I get that reply or forward to be in html rather than plain text. When I create a new email it defaults to html, but when I reply or forward, it defaults to plain text. Thank you. using the forward or reply/all from menu the message will take on the config of the original sender. So the sender of the this message has txt as default editor. If you want to use your default (html) you will have to create new message and copy all text out of original past in your new message. Hope this helps. >-----Original ...

Add working hours to date field
We offer computer support based on a certain response time in hours. I want to have a date field, on the case form, to automatically set x WORKING hours ahead, usually 8 hours. The actually hour value will be pulled from a contract. Does anyone know if this is possible or am I shooting way too high? ...

Extracting the month that a date refers to in another cell
In cell A1 I have the date 3/15/2003 (no formatting). In cell B1 I have the formula =year(A1). The year shows correctly as 2003. In cell C1 I have the formula =text(weekday(A1),"ddd"). The text shows as "Sat" which is correct. In cell D1 I have the formula =month(A1) which correctly shows '3'. I attempted to use =text(month(A1),"mmm") in cell D1, but it shows as "Jan". Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? TIA, Alan =TEXT(A1,"mmm") for 3-letter month name and =TEXT(A1,"ddd") for 3-letter day name. where A1 houses a...

How to add a drop down menu to a cell
How to add a drop down menu to a cell? hi, you don't add it to a cell. It's a control in the toolbox and it sits on top of the sheet. Tools>customize>toolbar tab>select control toolbox. it's called a combo box. click it and drag it to the sheet. for more help on combo boxes, type combo box in help. >-----Original Message----- >How to add a drop down menu to a cell? >. > You can do it. Take a look at Data>Validation, see this site for full details http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing d...

Day names in Calendar weekly view cells.
How does one display the days of the week, as well as the dates, in the title bars of the date cells in Weekly View of Outlook 2003 Calendar? It seems that an 'alternate calendar' of weekday names would do the trick if there's no simple setting that I've missed. Thanks, -- Michael H ...

Pivot Table Customize functions in the Data Field
Hi all, I want to find out if it is possible to create custom formulas in the data field of a pivot table. I need to to show: Fleets of vehicles. How many of a particular fleet a particular company has on hand. A percentage of how much of that companies fleet is not operational. If no maintinane is completed between Now() and the end of the reporting period, What the % of maintenance failure we will have for a fleet. I think the best way to accomplish this is a pivot table but the built in functions are not going to handle the calculations I need. -- Thanks, Patrick PS, Don't ...

text to date..!!
if i am having a date in a cell as 30/11/2005 but formatted in text, what's the procedure to change the same to date format as "30-Mar-2005"? thks & regds! via135 -- via135 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ via135's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26725 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=495816 sorry! a small correction! if i am having a date in a cell as 30/11/2005 but formatted in text, what's the procedure to change the same to date format as &q...