how to do these things in Excel with and without VBA?

Hi all,

I am learning Excel/VBA via using it in real day-to-day work.

Two questions:

1. How to multiple a whole range of cells by 2 all together and all at
once? (element-wise).

Of course, I am looking for more flexibility, such as apply a function
to the whole region of cells.

I understand that it could be done for rectangular shapes; is there a
way to do this by first select a bunch of cells and label the cells as
one single region(non-rectangular and non-regular shaped), and then
apply function to this region as a whole?

2. This time I have a function in XLL (treated as black box here, it
usually takes a column of values, or a row of values, treating these
cells internally as a "vector" in C++). I have verified that the
function works properly.

But now, what if I want to select cells which are scattered around and
not arranged in one row or one column ...

It's like a multiple selection, and I don't have criteria for VSelect
-- the cells should be selected by hand, no uniform criteria for any
automatic selection...

Please help me!

Thanks a lot!
0
7/10/2008 12:19:34 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

11 Replies
351 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 31

Use paste special, Check.. value, multiply..... Copy a 2, Select the cells
either by naming them or selecting them. Use paste special.

"LunaMoon" <lunamoonmoon@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:50b64387-0d47-493a-bc18-7c3bff3b705e@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I am learning Excel/VBA via using it in real day-to-day work.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. How to multiple a whole range of cells by 2 all together and all at
> once? (element-wise).
>
> Of course, I am looking for more flexibility, such as apply a function
> to the whole region of cells.
>
> I understand that it could be done for rectangular shapes; is there a
> way to do this by first select a bunch of cells and label the cells as
> one single region(non-rectangular and non-regular shaped), and then
> apply function to this region as a whole?
>
> 2. This time I have a function in XLL (treated as black box here, it
> usually takes a column of values, or a row of values, treating these
> cells internally as a "vector" in C++). I have verified that the
> function works properly.
>
> But now, what if I want to select cells which are scattered around and
> not arranged in one row or one column ...
>
> It's like a multiple selection, and I don't have criteria for VSelect
> -- the cells should be selected by hand, no uniform criteria for any
> automatic selection...
>
> Please help me!
>
> Thanks a lot! 

0
asking (1)
7/10/2008 2:04:24 AM
The cells you wish to multiply by 2 (or do anything else with, within 
reason) do not have to be in a contiguous block of cells. Select a bunch of 
cells with numbers in them on a worksheet (make sure you use the Ctrl key to 
select them so that you have some contiguous cells and some isolated cells 
in the selection), then right-click the tab for that worksheet and select 
View Code (this will take you to the VBA editor and make sure the active 
code window is set for the worksheet where your selections are). Now, 
execute this statement in the Immediate window...

Selection.Value = 2 * Selection.Value

Now go back to the worksheet and you will each selected cell's value is 
twice as big as it was before. You, of course, do not have to use the 
Selection to do this; you can specify a discontiguous range directly in code 
and to the same operation...

Range("A1:C4, J4, L6:L9").Value = 2 * Range("A1:C4, J4, L6:L9").Value

And, of course, multiplication is not all you can do...

Range("A1:C4, J4, L6:L9").Value = "XX" & Range("A1:C4, J4, L6:L9").Value

where I have concatenated "XX" onto the front of whatever is in each cell in 
the discontiguous range "A1:C4, J4, L6:L9".

Rick


"LunaMoon" <lunamoonmoon@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:50b64387-0d47-493a-bc18-7c3bff3b705e@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I am learning Excel/VBA via using it in real day-to-day work.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. How to multiple a whole range of cells by 2 all together and all at
> once? (element-wise).
>
> Of course, I am looking for more flexibility, such as apply a function
> to the whole region of cells.
>
> I understand that it could be done for rectangular shapes; is there a
> way to do this by first select a bunch of cells and label the cells as
> one single region(non-rectangular and non-regular shaped), and then
> apply function to this region as a whole?
>
> 2. This time I have a function in XLL (treated as black box here, it
> usually takes a column of values, or a row of values, treating these
> cells internally as a "vector" in C++). I have verified that the
> function works properly.
>
> But now, what if I want to select cells which are scattered around and
> not arranged in one row or one column ...
>
> It's like a multiple selection, and I don't have criteria for VSelect
> -- the cells should be selected by hand, no uniform criteria for any
> automatic selection...
>
> Please help me!
>
> Thanks a lot! 

0
7/10/2008 3:02:13 AM
I'm not sure about all that Rick.

2 * Selection.Value
that would only work if the selection is a single cell, although the single
result could be assigned to the value of a multi-area

arr = Range("A1:C4, J4, L6:L9").Value
In this 'arr' would only size to the first area, 4x3. Thereafter cannot do
2 * arr

Generally discontiguous ranges need to be handled separately, eg

For Each rngArea in multiRange.Areas

Copy/paste(special) barely works with multiple areas, although it just might
if the areas are same size or, say multiple areas of different heights but
same width and in same columns.

Regards,
Peter T


"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" <rick.newsNO.SPAM@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote in
message news:uOAdSlj4IHA.5060@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> The cells you wish to multiply by 2 (or do anything else with, within
> reason) do not have to be in a contiguous block of cells. Select a bunch
of
> cells with numbers in them on a worksheet (make sure you use the Ctrl key
to
> select them so that you have some contiguous cells and some isolated cells
> in the selection), then right-click the tab for that worksheet and select
> View Code (this will take you to the VBA editor and make sure the active
> code window is set for the worksheet where your selections are). Now,
> execute this statement in the Immediate window...
>
> Selection.Value = 2 * Selection.Value
>
> Now go back to the worksheet and you will each selected cell's value is
> twice as big as it was before. You, of course, do not have to use the
> Selection to do this; you can specify a discontiguous range directly in
code
> and to the same operation...
>
> Range("A1:C4, J4, L6:L9").Value = 2 * Range("A1:C4, J4, L6:L9").Value
>
> And, of course, multiplication is not all you can do...
>
> Range("A1:C4, J4, L6:L9").Value = "XX" & Range("A1:C4, J4, L6:L9").Value
>
> where I have concatenated "XX" onto the front of whatever is in each cell
in
> the discontiguous range "A1:C4, J4, L6:L9".
>
> Rick
>
>
> "LunaMoon" <lunamoonmoon@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:50b64387-0d47-493a-bc18-7c3bff3b705e@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am learning Excel/VBA via using it in real day-to-day work.
> >
> > Two questions:
> >
> > 1. How to multiple a whole range of cells by 2 all together and all at
> > once? (element-wise).
> >
> > Of course, I am looking for more flexibility, such as apply a function
> > to the whole region of cells.
> >
> > I understand that it could be done for rectangular shapes; is there a
> > way to do this by first select a bunch of cells and label the cells as
> > one single region(non-rectangular and non-regular shaped), and then
> > apply function to this region as a whole?
> >
> > 2. This time I have a function in XLL (treated as black box here, it
> > usually takes a column of values, or a row of values, treating these
> > cells internally as a "vector" in C++). I have verified that the
> > function works properly.
> >
> > But now, what if I want to select cells which are scattered around and
> > not arranged in one row or one column ...
> >
> > It's like a multiple selection, and I don't have criteria for VSelect
> > -- the cells should be selected by hand, no uniform criteria for any
> > automatic selection...
> >
> > Please help me!
> >
> > Thanks a lot!
>


0
Peter
7/10/2008 11:51:18 AM
I'm not sure what to tell you, but I tried what I posted before posting it 
(and again just now to confirm it) and what I posted works as I described it 
on my system, which the Help/About menu item says is Microsoft Office Excel 
2003 (11.8211.8202) SP3.

What I did is layout a large block of cells with 1's in them and then (for 
the selection method) I randomly selected discontiguous blocks and single 
cells with the Control Key down to make a discontiguous overall selection. 
Next, I right-clicked the worksheet tab and picked View Code in order to 
make the worksheet the active code window in the VBA editor. And then I 
typed...

Selection.Value = 2 * Selection.Value

in the Immediate Window and hit the Enter Key. All the values in the 
discontiguous Selection were multiplied by 2. Next I typed

Selection.Value = "AB" & Selection.Value & "CD"

into the Immediate Window and hit the Enter Key. All the values in the 
discontiguous Selection that were previously multiplied by 2 now had "AB" 
concatenated on the front of them and "CD" onto their backs. Then I repeated 
the exact same steps, but used a text string value as the argument for the 
Range collection object and the same things happened for the specified 
discontiguous cells that the text string represented.

Are you saying none of the above happens for you when you try what I have 
outlined?

Rick


"Peter T" <peter_t@discussions> wrote in message 
news:uz4sFNo4IHA.1196@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> I'm not sure about all that Rick.
>
> 2 * Selection.Value
> that would only work if the selection is a single cell, although the 
> single
> result could be assigned to the value of a multi-area
>
> arr = Range("A1:C4, J4, L6:L9").Value
> In this 'arr' would only size to the first area, 4x3. Thereafter cannot do
> 2 * arr
>
> Generally discontiguous ranges need to be handled separately, eg
>
> For Each rngArea in multiRange.Areas
>
> Copy/paste(special) barely works with multiple areas, although it just 
> might
> if the areas are same size or, say multiple areas of different heights but
> same width and in same columns.
>
> Regards,
> Peter T
>
>
> "Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" <rick.newsNO.SPAM@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote in
> message news:uOAdSlj4IHA.5060@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> The cells you wish to multiply by 2 (or do anything else with, within
>> reason) do not have to be in a contiguous block of cells. Select a bunch
> of
>> cells with numbers in them on a worksheet (make sure you use the Ctrl key
> to
>> select them so that you have some contiguous cells and some isolated 
>> cells
>> in the selection), then right-click the tab for that worksheet and select
>> View Code (this will take you to the VBA editor and make sure the active
>> code window is set for the worksheet where your selections are). Now,
>> execute this statement in the Immediate window...
>>
>> Selection.Value = 2 * Selection.Value
>>
>> Now go back to the worksheet and you will each selected cell's value is
>> twice as big as it was before. You, of course, do not have to use the
>> Selection to do this; you can specify a discontiguous range directly in
> code
>> and to the same operation...
>>
>> Range("A1:C4, J4, L6:L9").Value = 2 * Range("A1:C4, J4, L6:L9").Value
>>
>> And, of course, multiplication is not all you can do...
>>
>> Range("A1:C4, J4, L6:L9").Value = "XX" & Range("A1:C4, J4, L6:L9").Value
>>
>> where I have concatenated "XX" onto the front of whatever is in each cell
> in
>> the discontiguous range "A1:C4, J4, L6:L9".
>>
>> Rick
>>
>>
>> "LunaMoon" <lunamoonmoon@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:50b64387-0d47-493a-bc18-7c3bff3b705e@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I am learning Excel/VBA via using it in real day-to-day work.
>> >
>> > Two questions:
>> >
>> > 1. How to multiple a whole range of cells by 2 all together and all at
>> > once? (element-wise).
>> >
>> > Of course, I am looking for more flexibility, such as apply a function
>> > to the whole region of cells.
>> >
>> > I understand that it could be done for rectangular shapes; is there a
>> > way to do this by first select a bunch of cells and label the cells as
>> > one single region(non-rectangular and non-regular shaped), and then
>> > apply function to this region as a whole?
>> >
>> > 2. This time I have a function in XLL (treated as black box here, it
>> > usually takes a column of values, or a row of values, treating these
>> > cells internally as a "vector" in C++). I have verified that the
>> > function works properly.
>> >
>> > But now, what if I want to select cells which are scattered around and
>> > not arranged in one row or one column ...
>> >
>> > It's like a multiple selection, and I don't have criteria for VSelect
>> > -- the cells should be selected by hand, no uniform criteria for any
>> > automatic selection...
>> >
>> > Please help me!
>> >
>> > Thanks a lot!
>>
>
> 

0
7/10/2008 2:05:12 PM
Okay, this is strange. Everything I posted, which worked fine as I posted 
it, has now stopped working! All I did was unselect the selection I had, 
went to Help/About again, came back and made a different discontiguous 
selection and now

Selection.Value = 2 * Selection.Value

generates a "Type Mismatch" error. Same for Range with the discontiguous 
text string reference. I have no answer as to why, but it seems you were 
correct.... in the general case, you cannot rely upon what posted (which 
**was** working for me just a short time ago). Weird!

Rick


"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" <rick.newsNO.SPAM@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote in 
message news:O5K6vXp4IHA.4352@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> I'm not sure what to tell you, but I tried what I posted before posting it 
> (and again just now to confirm it) and what I posted works as I described 
> it on my system, which the Help/About menu item says is Microsoft Office 
> Excel 2003 (11.8211.8202) SP3.
>
> What I did is layout a large block of cells with 1's in them and then (for 
> the selection method) I randomly selected discontiguous blocks and single 
> cells with the Control Key down to make a discontiguous overall selection. 
> Next, I right-clicked the worksheet tab and picked View Code in order to 
> make the worksheet the active code window in the VBA editor. And then I 
> typed...
>
> Selection.Value = 2 * Selection.Value
>
> in the Immediate Window and hit the Enter Key. All the values in the 
> discontiguous Selection were multiplied by 2. Next I typed
>
> Selection.Value = "AB" & Selection.Value & "CD"
>
> into the Immediate Window and hit the Enter Key. All the values in the 
> discontiguous Selection that were previously multiplied by 2 now had "AB" 
> concatenated on the front of them and "CD" onto their backs. Then I 
> repeated the exact same steps, but used a text string value as the 
> argument for the Range collection object and the same things happened for 
> the specified discontiguous cells that the text string represented.
>
> Are you saying none of the above happens for you when you try what I have 
> outlined?
>
> Rick
>
>
> "Peter T" <peter_t@discussions> wrote in message 
> news:uz4sFNo4IHA.1196@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> I'm not sure about all that Rick.
>>
>> 2 * Selection.Value
>> that would only work if the selection is a single cell, although the 
>> single
>> result could be assigned to the value of a multi-area
>>
>> arr = Range("A1:C4, J4, L6:L9").Value
>> In this 'arr' would only size to the first area, 4x3. Thereafter cannot 
>> do
>> 2 * arr
>>
>> Generally discontiguous ranges need to be handled separately, eg
>>
>> For Each rngArea in multiRange.Areas
>>
>> Copy/paste(special) barely works with multiple areas, although it just 
>> might
>> if the areas are same size or, say multiple areas of different heights 
>> but
>> same width and in same columns.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Peter T
>>
>>
>> "Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" <rick.newsNO.SPAM@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote 
>> in
>> message news:uOAdSlj4IHA.5060@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>> The cells you wish to multiply by 2 (or do anything else with, within
>>> reason) do not have to be in a contiguous block of cells. Select a bunch
>> of
>>> cells with numbers in them on a worksheet (make sure you use the Ctrl 
>>> key
>> to
>>> select them so that you have some contiguous cells and some isolated 
>>> cells
>>> in the selection), then right-click the tab for that worksheet and 
>>> select
>>> View Code (this will take you to the VBA editor and make sure the active
>>> code window is set for the worksheet where your selections are). Now,
>>> execute this statement in the Immediate window...
>>>
>>> Selection.Value = 2 * Selection.Value
>>>
>>> Now go back to the worksheet and you will each selected cell's value is
>>> twice as big as it was before. You, of course, do not have to use the
>>> Selection to do this; you can specify a discontiguous range directly in
>> code
>>> and to the same operation...
>>>
>>> Range("A1:C4, J4, L6:L9").Value = 2 * Range("A1:C4, J4, L6:L9").Value
>>>
>>> And, of course, multiplication is not all you can do...
>>>
>>> Range("A1:C4, J4, L6:L9").Value = "XX" & Range("A1:C4, J4, L6:L9").Value
>>>
>>> where I have concatenated "XX" onto the front of whatever is in each 
>>> cell
>> in
>>> the discontiguous range "A1:C4, J4, L6:L9".
>>>
>>> Rick
>>>
>>>
>>> "LunaMoon" <lunamoonmoon@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:50b64387-0d47-493a-bc18-7c3bff3b705e@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
>>> > Hi all,
>>> >
>>> > I am learning Excel/VBA via using it in real day-to-day work.
>>> >
>>> > Two questions:
>>> >
>>> > 1. How to multiple a whole range of cells by 2 all together and all at
>>> > once? (element-wise).
>>> >
>>> > Of course, I am looking for more flexibility, such as apply a function
>>> > to the whole region of cells.
>>> >
>>> > I understand that it could be done for rectangular shapes; is there a
>>> > way to do this by first select a bunch of cells and label the cells as
>>> > one single region(non-rectangular and non-regular shaped), and then
>>> > apply function to this region as a whole?
>>> >
>>> > 2. This time I have a function in XLL (treated as black box here, it
>>> > usually takes a column of values, or a row of values, treating these
>>> > cells internally as a "vector" in C++). I have verified that the
>>> > function works properly.
>>> >
>>> > But now, what if I want to select cells which are scattered around and
>>> > not arranged in one row or one column ...
>>> >
>>> > It's like a multiple selection, and I don't have criteria for VSelect
>>> > -- the cells should be selected by hand, no uniform criteria for any
>>> > automatic selection...
>>> >
>>> > Please help me!
>>> >
>>> > Thanks a lot!
>>>
>>
>>
> 

0
7/10/2008 2:25:10 PM
One more follow up. I closed down Excel completely, restarted it again and 
everything is working as I posted it again. Hmm! It seems to work on a newly 
started session of Excel and then, as things happen during the session 
(although I am not sure what those things are<g>), it ceases to work any 
more until a new session of Excel is started again.

Rick


"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" <rick.newsNO.SPAM@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote in 
message news:Oid25ip4IHA.4988@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Okay, this is strange. Everything I posted, which worked fine as I posted 
> it, has now stopped working! All I did was unselect the selection I had, 
> went to Help/About again, came back and made a different discontiguous 
> selection and now
>
> Selection.Value = 2 * Selection.Value
>
> generates a "Type Mismatch" error. Same for Range with the discontiguous 
> text string reference. I have no answer as to why, but it seems you were 
> correct.... in the general case, you cannot rely upon what posted (which 
> **was** working for me just a short time ago). Weird!
>
> Rick
>
>
> "Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" <rick.newsNO.SPAM@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote in 
> message news:O5K6vXp4IHA.4352@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> I'm not sure what to tell you, but I tried what I posted before posting 
>> it (and again just now to confirm it) and what I posted works as I 
>> described it on my system, which the Help/About menu item says is 
>> Microsoft Office Excel 2003 (11.8211.8202) SP3.
>>
>> What I did is layout a large block of cells with 1's in them and then 
>> (for the selection method) I randomly selected discontiguous blocks and 
>> single cells with the Control Key down to make a discontiguous overall 
>> selection. Next, I right-clicked the worksheet tab and picked View Code 
>> in order to make the worksheet the active code window in the VBA editor. 
>> And then I typed...
>>
>> Selection.Value = 2 * Selection.Value
>>
>> in the Immediate Window and hit the Enter Key. All the values in the 
>> discontiguous Selection were multiplied by 2. Next I typed
>>
>> Selection.Value = "AB" & Selection.Value & "CD"
>>
>> into the Immediate Window and hit the Enter Key. All the values in the 
>> discontiguous Selection that were previously multiplied by 2 now had "AB" 
>> concatenated on the front of them and "CD" onto their backs. Then I 
>> repeated the exact same steps, but used a text string value as the 
>> argument for the Range collection object and the same things happened for 
>> the specified discontiguous cells that the text string represented.
>>
>> Are you saying none of the above happens for you when you try what I have 
>> outlined?
>>
>> Rick
>>
>>
>> "Peter T" <peter_t@discussions> wrote in message 
>> news:uz4sFNo4IHA.1196@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>> I'm not sure about all that Rick.
>>>
>>> 2 * Selection.Value
>>> that would only work if the selection is a single cell, although the 
>>> single
>>> result could be assigned to the value of a multi-area
>>>
>>> arr = Range("A1:C4, J4, L6:L9").Value
>>> In this 'arr' would only size to the first area, 4x3. Thereafter cannot 
>>> do
>>> 2 * arr
>>>
>>> Generally discontiguous ranges need to be handled separately, eg
>>>
>>> For Each rngArea in multiRange.Areas
>>>
>>> Copy/paste(special) barely works with multiple areas, although it just 
>>> might
>>> if the areas are same size or, say multiple areas of different heights 
>>> but
>>> same width and in same columns.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Peter T
>>>
>>>
>>> "Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" <rick.newsNO.SPAM@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote 
>>> in
>>> message news:uOAdSlj4IHA.5060@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>>> The cells you wish to multiply by 2 (or do anything else with, within
>>>> reason) do not have to be in a contiguous block of cells. Select a 
>>>> bunch
>>> of
>>>> cells with numbers in them on a worksheet (make sure you use the Ctrl 
>>>> key
>>> to
>>>> select them so that you have some contiguous cells and some isolated 
>>>> cells
>>>> in the selection), then right-click the tab for that worksheet and 
>>>> select
>>>> View Code (this will take you to the VBA editor and make sure the 
>>>> active
>>>> code window is set for the worksheet where your selections are). Now,
>>>> execute this statement in the Immediate window...
>>>>
>>>> Selection.Value = 2 * Selection.Value
>>>>
>>>> Now go back to the worksheet and you will each selected cell's value is
>>>> twice as big as it was before. You, of course, do not have to use the
>>>> Selection to do this; you can specify a discontiguous range directly in
>>> code
>>>> and to the same operation...
>>>>
>>>> Range("A1:C4, J4, L6:L9").Value = 2 * Range("A1:C4, J4, L6:L9").Value
>>>>
>>>> And, of course, multiplication is not all you can do...
>>>>
>>>> Range("A1:C4, J4, L6:L9").Value = "XX" & Range("A1:C4, J4, 
>>>> L6:L9").Value
>>>>
>>>> where I have concatenated "XX" onto the front of whatever is in each 
>>>> cell
>>> in
>>>> the discontiguous range "A1:C4, J4, L6:L9".
>>>>
>>>> Rick
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> "LunaMoon" <lunamoonmoon@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>> news:50b64387-0d47-493a-bc18-7c3bff3b705e@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
>>>> > Hi all,
>>>> >
>>>> > I am learning Excel/VBA via using it in real day-to-day work.
>>>> >
>>>> > Two questions:
>>>> >
>>>> > 1. How to multiple a whole range of cells by 2 all together and all 
>>>> > at
>>>> > once? (element-wise).
>>>> >
>>>> > Of course, I am looking for more flexibility, such as apply a 
>>>> > function
>>>> > to the whole region of cells.
>>>> >
>>>> > I understand that it could be done for rectangular shapes; is there a
>>>> > way to do this by first select a bunch of cells and label the cells 
>>>> > as
>>>> > one single region(non-rectangular and non-regular shaped), and then
>>>> > apply function to this region as a whole?
>>>> >
>>>> > 2. This time I have a function in XLL (treated as black box here, it
>>>> > usually takes a column of values, or a row of values, treating these
>>>> > cells internally as a "vector" in C++). I have verified that the
>>>> > function works properly.
>>>> >
>>>> > But now, what if I want to select cells which are scattered around 
>>>> > and
>>>> > not arranged in one row or one column ...
>>>> >
>>>> > It's like a multiple selection, and I don't have criteria for VSelect
>>>> > -- the cells should be selected by hand, no uniform criteria for any
>>>> > automatic selection...
>>>> >
>>>> > Please help me!
>>>> >
>>>> > Thanks a lot!
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
> 

0
7/10/2008 2:34:47 PM
I was about to send a reply to your previous message, which I'll paste here
instead -

"Strange and weird indeed as I have no doubt you reported what you saw.  I
can only speculate there was something accidentally particular about the
multi-area selection you had."

Even if that had not produced the mismatch error, with all cells filled with
one's the result would have been misleading. At best, and providing the
first area was the largest in both dimensions, an array of the first area
only would have been filled into all areas, albeit reduced to respective
sizes, thereby giving the impression that each area of the source had been
processed. Maybe the following will illustrate what I mean -

Sub foo()
Dim r&, c&, rng As Range
[a1:h15].Clear
For r = 1 To 9
    Cells(r, 1) = r
    For c = 1 To 5
        Cells(r, c + 1) = r * 10 ^ c
    Next
Next

Set rng = Range("A1:C3,B5:C9,D6:F7,E8:E11,B13:G13,F1")
rng.Select
Stop    ' have a look, press F5 to continue

rng.Value = rng.Value

End Sub
"
========================

Now to your latest. This is more than weird it's darn right freaky !
I could not re-create similar in a new session and would not expect to.
Shame, could be quite handy if there was some secret method to expose...

Regards,
Peter T



"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" <rick.newsNO.SPAM@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote in
message news:Odv4Rop4IHA.3396@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> One more follow up. I closed down Excel completely, restarted it again and
> everything is working as I posted it again. Hmm! It seems to work on a
newly
> started session of Excel and then, as things happen during the session
> (although I am not sure what those things are<g>), it ceases to work any
> more until a new session of Excel is started again.
>
> Rick
>
>
> "Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" <rick.newsNO.SPAM@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote in
> message news:Oid25ip4IHA.4988@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> > Okay, this is strange. Everything I posted, which worked fine as I
posted
> > it, has now stopped working! All I did was unselect the selection I had,
> > went to Help/About again, came back and made a different discontiguous
> > selection and now
> >
> > Selection.Value = 2 * Selection.Value
> >
> > generates a "Type Mismatch" error. Same for Range with the discontiguous
> > text string reference. I have no answer as to why, but it seems you were
> > correct.... in the general case, you cannot rely upon what posted (which
> > **was** working for me just a short time ago). Weird!
> >
> > Rick
> >
> >
> > "Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" <rick.newsNO.SPAM@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote
in
> > message news:O5K6vXp4IHA.4352@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> >> I'm not sure what to tell you, but I tried what I posted before posting
> >> it (and again just now to confirm it) and what I posted works as I
> >> described it on my system, which the Help/About menu item says is
> >> Microsoft Office Excel 2003 (11.8211.8202) SP3.
> >>
> >> What I did is layout a large block of cells with 1's in them and then
> >> (for the selection method) I randomly selected discontiguous blocks and
> >> single cells with the Control Key down to make a discontiguous overall
> >> selection. Next, I right-clicked the worksheet tab and picked View Code
> >> in order to make the worksheet the active code window in the VBA
editor.
> >> And then I typed...
> >>
> >> Selection.Value = 2 * Selection.Value
> >>
> >> in the Immediate Window and hit the Enter Key. All the values in the
> >> discontiguous Selection were multiplied by 2. Next I typed
> >>
> >> Selection.Value = "AB" & Selection.Value & "CD"
> >>
> >> into the Immediate Window and hit the Enter Key. All the values in the
> >> discontiguous Selection that were previously multiplied by 2 now had
"AB"
> >> concatenated on the front of them and "CD" onto their backs. Then I
> >> repeated the exact same steps, but used a text string value as the
> >> argument for the Range collection object and the same things happened
for
> >> the specified discontiguous cells that the text string represented.
> >>
> >> Are you saying none of the above happens for you when you try what I
have
> >> outlined?
> >>
> >> Rick
> >>
> >>
> >> "Peter T" <peter_t@discussions> wrote in message
> >> news:uz4sFNo4IHA.1196@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> >>> I'm not sure about all that Rick.
> >>>
> >>> 2 * Selection.Value
> >>> that would only work if the selection is a single cell, although the
> >>> single
> >>> result could be assigned to the value of a multi-area
> >>>
> >>> arr = Range("A1:C4, J4, L6:L9").Value
> >>> In this 'arr' would only size to the first area, 4x3. Thereafter
cannot
> >>> do
> >>> 2 * arr
> >>>
> >>> Generally discontiguous ranges need to be handled separately, eg
> >>>
> >>> For Each rngArea in multiRange.Areas
> >>>
> >>> Copy/paste(special) barely works with multiple areas, although it just
> >>> might
> >>> if the areas are same size or, say multiple areas of different heights
> >>> but
> >>> same width and in same columns.
> >>>
> >>> Regards,
> >>> Peter T
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> "Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" <rick.newsNO.SPAM@NO.SPAMverizon.net>
wrote
> >>> in
> >>> message news:uOAdSlj4IHA.5060@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> >>>> The cells you wish to multiply by 2 (or do anything else with, within
> >>>> reason) do not have to be in a contiguous block of cells. Select a
> >>>> bunch
> >>> of
> >>>> cells with numbers in them on a worksheet (make sure you use the Ctrl
> >>>> key
> >>> to
> >>>> select them so that you have some contiguous cells and some isolated
> >>>> cells
> >>>> in the selection), then right-click the tab for that worksheet and
> >>>> select
> >>>> View Code (this will take you to the VBA editor and make sure the
> >>>> active
> >>>> code window is set for the worksheet where your selections are). Now,
> >>>> execute this statement in the Immediate window...
> >>>>
> >>>> Selection.Value = 2 * Selection.Value
> >>>>
> >>>> Now go back to the worksheet and you will each selected cell's value
is
> >>>> twice as big as it was before. You, of course, do not have to use the
> >>>> Selection to do this; you can specify a discontiguous range directly
in
> >>> code
> >>>> and to the same operation...
> >>>>
> >>>> Range("A1:C4, J4, L6:L9").Value = 2 * Range("A1:C4, J4, L6:L9").Value
> >>>>
> >>>> And, of course, multiplication is not all you can do...
> >>>>
> >>>> Range("A1:C4, J4, L6:L9").Value = "XX" & Range("A1:C4, J4,
> >>>> L6:L9").Value
> >>>>
> >>>> where I have concatenated "XX" onto the front of whatever is in each
> >>>> cell
> >>> in
> >>>> the discontiguous range "A1:C4, J4, L6:L9".
> >>>>
> >>>> Rick
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> "LunaMoon" <lunamoonmoon@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >>>>
news:50b64387-0d47-493a-bc18-7c3bff3b705e@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
> >>>> > Hi all,
> >>>> >
> >>>> > I am learning Excel/VBA via using it in real day-to-day work.
> >>>> >
> >>>> > Two questions:
> >>>> >
> >>>> > 1. How to multiple a whole range of cells by 2 all together and all
> >>>> > at
> >>>> > once? (element-wise).
> >>>> >
> >>>> > Of course, I am looking for more flexibility, such as apply a
> >>>> > function
> >>>> > to the whole region of cells.
> >>>> >
> >>>> > I understand that it could be done for rectangular shapes; is there
a
> >>>> > way to do this by first select a bunch of cells and label the cells
> >>>> > as
> >>>> > one single region(non-rectangular and non-regular shaped), and then
> >>>> > apply function to this region as a whole?
> >>>> >
> >>>> > 2. This time I have a function in XLL (treated as black box here,
it
> >>>> > usually takes a column of values, or a row of values, treating
these
> >>>> > cells internally as a "vector" in C++). I have verified that the
> >>>> > function works properly.
> >>>> >
> >>>> > But now, what if I want to select cells which are scattered around
> >>>> > and
> >>>> > not arranged in one row or one column ...
> >>>> >
> >>>> > It's like a multiple selection, and I don't have criteria for
VSelect
> >>>> > -- the cells should be selected by hand, no uniform criteria for
any
> >>>> > automatic selection...
> >>>> >
> >>>> > Please help me!
> >>>> >
> >>>> > Thanks a lot!
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> >
>


0
Peter
7/10/2008 3:10:44 PM
> "Strange and weird indeed as I have no doubt you reported what you saw.  I
> can only speculate there was something accidentally particular about the
> multi-area selection you had."

I've tried it with various sized selections and, for a new session of Excel, 
I can make it work every time. As I said though, I have no idea what 
combination of worksheet events are the trigger, but it seems to always fail 
after doing things with the worksheet.

Rick 

0
7/10/2008 4:19:38 PM
"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in

> I've tried it with various sized selections and, for a new session of
Excel,
> I can make it work every time. As I said though, I have no idea what
> combination of worksheet events are the trigger, but it seems to always
fail
> after doing things with the worksheet.

Does it also work with unique values in cells rather than all one's (eg as
populated by that macro I posted earlier). Not only not-error but (say)
multiply values in each area by 2

Selection = 2 * Selection ' a multi area discontiguous range

Is there anyone else who can re-create what Rick has described in a new
session, even with one's throughout ?

Regards,
Peter T


0
Peter
7/10/2008 4:52:00 PM
LOL... I don't get it! I tried to use varying amounts in the cells (using 
series fills) and it didn't work. NOW, I can't even get the method that was 
working consistently to work anymore... no matter how many time I start a 
new session and repeat the exact same process that worked before, I can no 
longer get it to work any more... not even once.

Rick


"Peter T" <peter_t@discussions> wrote in message 
news:OnDT80q4IHA.5060@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> "Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
>
>> I've tried it with various sized selections and, for a new session of
> Excel,
>> I can make it work every time. As I said though, I have no idea what
>> combination of worksheet events are the trigger, but it seems to always
> fail
>> after doing things with the worksheet.
>
> Does it also work with unique values in cells rather than all one's (eg as
> populated by that macro I posted earlier). Not only not-error but (say)
> multiply values in each area by 2
>
> Selection = 2 * Selection ' a multi area discontiguous range
>
> Is there anyone else who can re-create what Rick has described in a new
> session, even with one's throughout ?
>
> Regards,
> Peter T
>
> 

0
7/10/2008 5:23:08 PM
Oh well, one of life's little mysteries then.

FWIW, anything along the following lines will always work, even where the
selection is a multi area range

Selection.Value = 2 * Selection(1).Value

Regards,
Peter T

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" <rick.newsNO.SPAM@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote in
> LOL... I don't get it! I tried to use varying amounts in the cells (using
> series fills) and it didn't work. NOW, I can't even get the method that
was
> working consistently to work anymore... no matter how many time I start a
> new session and repeat the exact same process that worked before, I can no
> longer get it to work any more... not even once.
>
> Rick
>
>
> "Peter T" <peter_t@discussions> wrote in message
> news:OnDT80q4IHA.5060@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> > "Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
> >
> >> I've tried it with various sized selections and, for a new session of
> > Excel,
> >> I can make it work every time. As I said though, I have no idea what
> >> combination of worksheet events are the trigger, but it seems to always
> > fail
> >> after doing things with the worksheet.
> >
> > Does it also work with unique values in cells rather than all one's (eg
as
> > populated by that macro I posted earlier). Not only not-error but (say)
> > multiply values in each area by 2
> >
> > Selection = 2 * Selection ' a multi area discontiguous range
> >
> > Is there anyone else who can re-create what Rick has described in a new
> > session, even with one's throughout ?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Peter T
> >
> >
>


0
Peter
7/10/2008 7:19:17 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

How do I get menus back when I right click on an Excel Spreadshee.
I have a computer that when I right click on a spreadsheet tab I do not get the normal menu to pop up. What do I need to do to get the menus back and functional??? Try Application.commandbars("cell").enabled=true in the immediate window -- HTH RP "David G" <David G@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:74ED0D6B-958E-40E5-ACDC-2F46B98BC1FC@microsoft.com... > I have a computer that when I right click on a spreadsheet tab I do not get > the normal menu to pop up. What do I need to do to get the menus back and > functional??? hi Right clic...

Help on how to use Offset in Excel
Can anyone explain how OFFSET works in Excel? I'm trying to find out how to use this in order to create a sports league table for my school coursework. Can anyone help please? Thanks in advance. -- petros89 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ petros89's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24645 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=474047 Excel's Help is generally quite informative about what functions will do. What are you not finding clear about Help for OFFSET ? Jerry ...

database ownership without DYNSA?
Hello: Here we are, again, with more of my eEnterprise questions! LOL!!! The client reports that they do not have DYNSA as a user in SQL, for whatever reason. So, they cannot change the ownership of the databases to DYNSA to eliminate an "smCleanupFilesBeforeLogin" error that they receive. Can they create a user in SQL with similar properties to DYNSA and just transfer ownership to that user? childofthe1980s Just a dumb question, is this even ON SQL? Or is the C/S+ version? What version are they using? Mike "childofthe1980s" <childofthe1980s@discussions.micros...

can I use the E2K7 Management console without installing E2K7 into the Org?
I know there's a 32 bit version of the management console for things like Windows XP, but do I have to perform things like /adprep before I can install it on my windows XP desktop? Can it be used to at least view, if not manage an exising Exchange 2000/2003 org that hasn't had E2K7 installed into it yet? I'd like to be able to utilize some of the E2K7 specific powershell things, like the cmdlets and the AD Provider, without having to change our existing exchange/AD environment (our E2K7 migration project isn't scheduled to start until next year). The Exchange 2007 Managemen...

Excel 97, strange rounding
I am using state of the art excel 97 at work. When I type in a number "4" it comes up as .04, when I put in "400" I get 4. First thing I thought was precentage, ok so I changed it to number format with 2 decimal places and that resolved nothing. Nothing I do to the cells changes this. Ideas? Someone has set your Excel up for quick money entry - you can type 12345 to get 123.45 (one whole keystroke saved) To undo this: Tools | Options | open the Edit tab | uncheck the Fixed Decimal Places box best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/blie...

Where is Excel.h? #2
I am having a problem finding Excel.h. I understand the file is created when you follow the instructions in the knowledgebase article. I am running Visual Studio 2008. Mot MFC 6.0 So, I cannot generate the files. Do I need to install C++6.0, just to get the files Excel.h and Excel.cpp? Any advice/ suggestions would be appreciated. I see the same question was asked a couple of years ago, and I see that the individual found a solution, but he does not actually say that the solution was to generate the files under C++ 6.0. Thank you. Which knowledgebase article? AliR. "Cameron_C&qu...

How to import an excel document (form) into publisher
I have tried several times to import a form I produced in excell but every time I try it shuts down my publisher document I am importing to. Which versions of the software? What steps are you taking? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Warren" <Warren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DBC5D466-CE90-4657-BDFD-577984D46723@microsoft.com... >I have tried several times to import a form I produced in excell but every > time I try it shuts down my publisher document I am importing to. Have you tried: 1. Copy > Paste from Excel to Publisher...

Using variables in Excel 2000
Yeh, yeh, I know for some of you guys this is prbably a very simple task. This is what I am wanting to do Assign a list of variables(in this case they are a two letter designator) at the top left of the worksheet and the cell to the right of the cell input the value for the variable In a different row and colum use any of these varaibles and be able to change the values at the top list. I also need to be able to just insert a new variable in "different row and colum" and have it use this new variable Sincerely yours Le Les The name you type in the first column will only be for...

Excel Crashes when trying to open a User Form
When I open the workbook and click on the worksheet to open the user form excels stops working. I get Microsoft Office Excel has stopped working and is trying find a solution, but it never does. I have saved it in both 2007 & 2003 versions and both get the same problem. What is odd is if you open the Userform Workbook, then open the VBA code window, both userform versions run fine, but if you do not open the Code window Excel locks up everytime. Here is the code. Sheet 2 Code: Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) UserForm1.Show End Sub ...

Bug ??
Hi In Excel 2007, I am highlighting two columns of data (%) and creating a new Conditional Formatting Rule. I create a traffic light format with green > 80%, amber between 75 and 80 percent and the rest as red. HOWEVER I then get inconsistent formatting - ie it seems to be ignoring the 80% cutoff. Of the data, I get green for 89,90,98 - anything >= 88%, amber for 86,87, then red for anything else. If I go into Manage Rules, Edit Rule - the thresholds are correct. Can anyone help me here? This is driving me mad. George Hi George Try using 0.8 rather than 80% as your...

How do I put a picture in excel with out using insert?
I'm trying to install a photo in an excel spread sheet, but I do not want it showing all of the time. I would like to have it in a cell, which when the cell is highlighted it appears, or some thing to that effect. Maybe this is an idea: http://www.geocities.com/smplprgrsrc/files/AutoPicture.zip "RFCahoon" <RFCahoon@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht news:65776443-0B28-4F6C-B0CE-899DEA1D478A@microsoft.com... > I'm trying to install a photo in an excel spread sheet, but I do not want > it > showing all of the time. I would like to have it in a...

From VBA, how do I test for a cell with value #N/A
For example, Cells(1,8) contains #N/A. The following VBA statement: If Worksheets("Sheet1").Cells(1, 8).Value = "" Then gives a type mismatch error. Thanks for any suggestions. You could use the .text property: If Worksheets("Sheet1").Cells(1, 8).Text = "" Then Or you could use: if iserror(worksheets("sheet1").cells(1,8).value) then 'do something with the error else if worksheets("sheet1").cells(1,8).Value = "" .... You might even be able to use: if isempty(worksheets("sheet1&...

vba copyright protection #2
I have created a spreadsheet which utilizes many of my own custom built macros and formulas. Does anyone know whether or not my vba code and/or formulas can be copyrighted--ie legally protected? thanks, Bill --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Moving a line chart data point revises data table value in Excel '
I recall a capability I used with Excel years ago that enabled me to create a line chart from a data table, then move the plot points on the chart to "smooth" the line, and the source data chart value would change with the corresponding new plotted point. I'd like to use that capability with Excel 2007 but can't find to activate it. Any power users know how? Thanks! Ed Ed, Microsoft decided that users didn't need that feature. More than likely, they were tired of support calls asking why the values changed when one dragged a data point...... No really, they took i...

Is ther a like function RAT() in VBA for Access 2003 as in .net?
Hello, I'm looking for a function in Access 2003 VBA that would act like RAT() fuction in .net. However, it must be called within a query statment. Thanks A Lot. Daniel. What does the RAT( ) function do in .Net? -- Email address is not valid. Please reply to newsgroup only. "Something like RAT() Function" wrote: > Hello, > > I'm looking for a function in Access 2003 VBA that would act like RAT() > fuction in .net. However, it must be called within a query statment. > > Thanks A Lot. > > Daniel. instrrev() will suit your needs I bel...

Cannot copy table from Excel 2007 to Word 2007 w invisible grid li
How do I copy a table from Excel 2007 to Word 2007 with invisible grid lines? In previous version of Word, it was possible to do so by clicking on "insert special" and choose one of the categories (I have forgotten which). With Word 2007, the grid lines become visible no matter which option I choose under "insert special". Is it possible for you to help me? Thanks! To hide the gridlines, click the View Gridlines button (to deselect the option) on the Table Tools Layout tab. This setting will be preserved between Word sessions. If you are in fact referr...

Exporting Access into Excel workbook
Is there a way to export an access report into excel workbook where data is broken out onto multiple spreadsheets? Please help. Thank you!! In the absence of another reply ..... I think not. In my opinion you would be better off exporting sets of data from th *original Access table* to Excel - or using Data/Get External Data i Excel. I am currently experimenting with a similar job where it is necessar to have an Access table containing worksheet names linked to the mai table to enable this. I am setting up an Excel macro to import t worksheets. It may be quicker to use an Access Make T...

Keep count of rows in Excel
I am trying to print row count on my output regardless of the size of the worksheet or the number of rows. Any ideas? Experiment with this; it may offer a solution. You can go into the print setup and have it print the value of this cell in the header or footer or whatever. =COUNTA(A5:A8) Counts the number of nonblank cells in the last 4 rows of the list (4) >-----Original Message----- >I am trying to print row count on my output regardless of >the size of the worksheet or the number of rows. Any >ideas? >. > ...

excel 2002
Hi folks, Have a bit of a problem. My company has a daily report using excel where we copy/paste info from an external source into it. when we were using 97, the growth of the file was fine(would go from a 1meg file to a 1.5meg file most times), but now that we're using the 2002 version, the files sizes are getting pretty silly(again from a 1meg file up to a 3-3.5 meg file.) After some testing, it is because of the four worksheets we paste into. We paste into it, run a macro to move that info into the places we want it, then clear the page....yet those pages are retaining the inf...

Advanced filter poor performance in Excel 2003
I have an advanced filter executed in VBA that worked great until upgrading to Excel 2003. When I put in criteria the first time, the filtering works fine, but when the criteria row is blanked out so that all rows are unhidden, it takes forever for that to happen. I suspect that every formula on the sheet is being recalculated. Is there a technical explanation for why this problem happens now? Is there a way to work around this without setting the sheet calculation option to manual? I've seen slow downs when filtering, but usually showing all the rows is quicker--well at...

Calculating age from two date fields-Excel 2003
I'm not sure what section this question should go in. I need to find if a person was 40 years of age or older (= or >) at his Date of Hire. I have two columns, Birth Date and Date of Hire. How would I write a formula to give me this answer? Thanks in advance Try this: A1 = DOB B1 = DOH =DATEDIF(A1,B1,"y")>=40 That will return either TRUE or FALSE -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Veteran of the Software Cycles" <VeteranoftheSoftwareCycles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:97B155B5-68F0-49EB-910C-549B84737765@microsoft.com... > I...

Why do cells in Excel print shorter than displayed on-screen?
When I type a lot of data in a given cell (textwrapping is on), the entire contents of the cell display correctly. But when I print the worksheet, the cell height appears shorter -- truncating my text. What's up with that? And how do I fix it without adjusting every cell manually (which screws up my display)? ...

How do I read text file in an EXCEL SHEET
Hello, With regards to EXCEL how we read the text file in EXCEL sheet using MACRO. The file is located in d:\Sql\Documents\Amit\log.txt. I want to save the EXCEL sheet, and every time when I open this sheet it reads this text file and displays the contents of this text file in Excel Sheet. I want to use MACRO for reading this text file.How I do that? Thanks Amit fileName = "D:\Sql\Documents\Amit\log.txt" Workbooks.OpenText FileName:=fileName OR Workbooks.OpenText FileName:=fileName, Origin:=xlWindows, StartRow _ :=1, DataType:=xlFixedWidth, FieldInfo:=Array( _ Array(0,...

Extract and count unique entries in a list (Excel 2003)
I have a list of items (all text strings, but some rows are blank) in column A. I want to extract a list of all the unique text strings and to count how many occurrences there are of each one. I've had a look at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#CountingUnique but it doesn't quite do what I want. Any help would be gratefully received. Gavin Hi if this is a one-time operation try to use 'Data - filter - Advanced Filter' and check 'Unique entries' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "gavin" <no-one@home.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag n...

excel minimized?
I am trying to find an answer to an issue with one of my teachers and I have no idea how to help. When she gets an excel attachment in email (AOL) sometimes it opens maximized and other times it minimizes to the task bar. XP OS. Any help appreciated, thanks in advance. -- Thanks,, Kim Hello When a file is saved in Excel on one computer, information on the size of the window and cell location is saved with it also. When the file is reopend it will return to the window size it was last saved under. My guess is that when a file is sent to another computer, there could be different s...