How to create a single line separated by commas from a matrix?

Hello,

I've the following problem.

I've a table made of several columns. Each colum represents a
characteristic regarding to a subject (e.g. Name, Surname, Home
Street, etc...). In the rows I put the different people.

I need to export these info to a format compatible with other program -
an email program-, which requires the information to be arranged in a
different way. The program needs all these data to be ordered in a
single row, with each characteristic between quotation marks, and
separated by commas, following this pattern:

"characteristic 1","characteristic 2","characteristic 3"...

Also, the order of the different "characteristics" in the single row
doesn't have to match with the order of my table.

Could you suggest me any idea about how to deal with this?

Thank you.
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

try this idea for a formula
=""""&E1&""""&","&""""&F1&""""

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
"Alex" <themailbox24-googlegroups@yahoo.es> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I've the following problem.
>
> I've a table made of several columns. Each colum represents a
> characteristic regarding to a subject (e.g. Name, Surname, Home
> Street, etc...). In the rows I put the different people.
>
> I need to export these info to a format compatible with other program -
> an email program-, which requires the information to be arranged in a
> different way. The program needs all these data to be ordered in a
> single row, with each characteristic between quotation marks, and
> separated by commas, following this pattern:
>
> "characteristic 1","characteristic 2","characteristic 3"...
>
> Also, the order of the different "characteristics" in the single row
> doesn't have to match with the order of my table.
>
> Could you suggest me any idea about how to deal with this?
>
> Thank you.

0
dguillett1 (2487)
10/18/2008 7:28:33 PM
Alex,

It looks as though you need to create a CSV file (comma separated values).
You can save an Excel spreadsheet directly in this format by selecting File,
Save As and then selecting file type CSV(Comma delimeted)(*.csv).

The problem here is that Excel will only put the quotation marks around
cells where a comma is included in the text. However, I would suggest that
you give this a try since the CSV format is a fairly standard way to
transfer data between different applications so your system may accept the
format.

I can't find a way to force the quotes during the Excel save, but if you
move your data from the spreadsheet to an Access table, you can export the
data into a file with precisely the file format you require with no
additional data manipulation. Here is an example I prepared on my pc:

"Char1","Char2","Char3"
"Name","Street","Town"

"Alex" <themailbox24-googlegroups@yahoo.es> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hello,
>
> I've the following problem.
>
> I've a table made of several columns. Each colum represents a
> characteristic regarding to a subject (e.g. Name, Surname, Home
> Street, etc...). In the rows I put the different people.
>
> I need to export these info to a format compatible with other program -
> an email program-, which requires the information to be arranged in a
> different way. The program needs all these data to be ordered in a
> single row, with each characteristic between quotation marks, and
> separated by commas, following this pattern:
>
> "characteristic 1","characteristic 2","characteristic 3"...
>
> Also, the order of the different "characteristics" in the single row
> doesn't have to match with the order of my table.
>
> Could you suggest me any idea about how to deal with this?
>
> Thank you.

Creating Store Database in HQ Admin
I have sucessfully created and installed 3 store databases into 3 seperate store but the fourth one creates error when opening Store Ops " ROW CANNOT BE LOCATED FOR UPDATING. SOME VALUES MAY HAVE CHANGED SINCE ITEMS LAST READ" What's going on??????? ...

Error when create chartobject on line ".HasTitle = True"
Hi, I gett runtime 1004 at line "HasTitle = True" The peculiar thing is that yesterday it worked ok. I saved it, slept, and now I get the error. I have tested to put the Has title ocde in the end of the sub, after seriescollections etc, but with same results. Any ideas, anybody? /Kind regards tskogstrom Sub CreateChartCF() Dim cht As Chart Dim chtTitle As String chtTitle = "CashFlow & PayBack" On Error Resume Next '(if no chartobject) Sheet2.ChartObjects("R_CF").Delete On Error GoTo 0 If Sheet1.Range("Years").Value > 1 Then With Sh...

print single envelope with contacts name and address
how do i print one envelope with a select contacts name and address from my outlook contacts? also, - how do i back up my contacts in outlook? - how do i import data from my palm address book into outlook? - when i go to my email address book, the names are listed in alphabetical order according to FIRST name not last. why? how do i change this? ...

Creating an installer for an Excel toolbar
I have written an Excel Add-In using VBA. It is operated by a toolbar that I have created. I want to be able to put in on the internet using an installer so that users can download and run the installer and the Add-In will automatically be installed with the toolbar visible. I can't find any information on how to do this, but I know that it can be done because I have seen similar toolbars with installers on the Download.com website. Can anybody help? Many thanks, Richard Beare -- Richard Beare ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Richard Beare&...

Create a drop down in all search windows in PSource for Language
All search windows in Partnersource have all sorts of language. Please create a default language box of English and then it can be changed by other users. Thanks, Mary ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Communi...

How do I create/filter a list of names without duplications
I have a list of names some of which appear more than once. How do I create/filter this column to produce a list of names without duplications? Click on the first name in the list. Then go to "Data", then "Filter", then "Auto Filter". "MikeD" wrote: > I have a list of names some of which appear more than once. How do I > create/filter this column to produce a list of names without duplications? Mike Select your range then Data>Filter>Advanced Filter. "Unique records only" and "Copy to a new location" if don't...

Mail enabling users from command line
I know I read this somewhere but between the stack of books and the misleading web pages I need some help.I'm running exchange 2003 on 2003 server. Just looking to find out what exe file I need to run to simply mail enable a user from the command line. Anyone? "Andrew Evans" <aevans@wbmg.com> wrote in news:085a01c46e65$f8ee1000 $a401280a@phx.gbl: > I know I read this somewhere but between the stack of > books and the misleading web pages I need some help.I'm > running exchange 2003 on 2003 server. Just looking to find > out what exe file I need to ...

print a large single character
How do i go about printing one letter onto a whole page - for example, if i wanted to print the word Driver with each letter taking up one whole page. Hope someone can help! WordArt... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Shinypouch" <Shinypouch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:76CC85FC-B0D5-45B7-8A43-AA2519543DB3@microsoft.com... > How do i go about printing one letter onto a whole page - for example, if i > wanted to print the word Driver with each letter taking up one whole page. ...

Rule for blank subject lines?
Is it possible to create a rule for processing incoming email with a blank subject line? (I know how to create rules, and have a lot of them, but I couldn't see how to do one about a blank subject line.) Thank you to anyone who can help. "Barbara Graham" said in news:ugeYfULAEHA.3004@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl: > Is it possible to create a rule for processing incoming email with a > blank subject line? (I know how to create rules, and have a lot of > them, but I couldn't see how to do one about a blank subject line.) > Thank you to anyone who can help. So what do...

separate SMTP email address on existing company Outlook Exchange server
Our company uses Outlook 2000 on exchange 2000 servers and all mail leaves with an envelope From address of @bear.com. I have a separate domain, user@maxrecovery.co.uk that i'd like to use on outgoing mails, so that all my recipients will see on the From: address, user@maxrecovery.co.uk and not user@bear.com and also not From: user@bear.com on behalf of user(Exchange) [user@maxrecovery.co.uk]. Is this possible? Also, Is it possible for me to receive mail in Outlook if senders use either user@bear.com or user@maxrecovery.co.uk? Thanks. Steven Chung <schung@bear.com> wrote: >Ou...

Need to compare 2 created database match and add to less .
Problem; 1) I was sent 2 excel spread sheets with various field add on one and not on the other, I used access to create 2 databases so I could match the records with a common field (item number), grab the items missing off one and add them to one of the sheets, so I could get a complete list. any ideas what's the best way to do this, I've tried to do it in excel but no such luck. don't think it allows me to extract data from one sheet and add it to another. sort of confured, I search everywhere for some type of fomula that would allow me to compare the 2 databases, fi...

Separate Code and Data (Newbie Q)
I have a series of manipulations in VBA. I need to run this on data which is in ms-excel files I receive daily. These files have multiple sheets (of different names) but the VBA applies to them all the same. How can I have the VBA access the cells in another ms-excel file? I tried for example: Worksheets(SheetName).Rows(1).Cells(1).Value where I'd haveopen both teh xls files (one with data and the other with the code), and set the SheetName to the name of the target sheet. But I get a "subscript out of range" error, which probably means the sheetName was not found. What is ...

Change data Series from a bar to a line after changing axis
I have a two y axis bar line pivot chart. The default put the data on the wrong axises. I changed them to the proper axis, but how do I change them from a bar to a line and vise versa? (right now the data I want as a bar is a line and the data I want as a line is a bar) You can select a series, then go to Chart menu > Chart Type, and select a type that will be applied just to the selected series. Next time, instead of using the inflexible built-in custom types, make your own custom type. Make the chart as a column chart with all series, then using the technique above change the o...

how to create dashboards using excel?
I would like to know how to create a dashboard report using MS excel, without the help of any third party software. Doesn't this mean creating a set of charts and tables in a print- or screen-ready arrangement? You can arrange this yourself, by making charts from the selected data, and putting them together on a single sheet, and formatting it appropriately. The third party software merely does all of this automatically, saving you the time and effort. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _...

How do I go to a second page while creating a document of labels
I trying to create a mailing list of various people in Word labels. Once I complete page one how do I get the program to give me a page 2 with the same format? Labels are just tables, so you can add table rows by pressing Tab at the end of the last label. You can continue to do this until you fill a new page. This will work provided the labels are set up as a single row. Some label setups, however, include a narrow separator row between rows of labels. For that type of setup, you will need to copy the entire page and paste it onto a new one. To make it easier to see what you...

Creating and pasting using VB
I need to create an email and paste some data already selected in excel into the body. I have just started to attempt this so if I need to add mapi or anything like that please let me know. Any help would be very helpful.... Thanks, Matt If you copy straight from an Excel sheet to an email, you will be pasting an object and that can be a nuisance, particularly if you need to edit the contents before sending it. I simply paste it to Word first, then copy it from Word into the email. This may not suit your needs though. HTH Otto <mewilh0@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1145...

Error -2147217900 Creating matrix items
I am getting an error upon trying to create matrix items. After i've entered in all the matrix item attributes and styles they show up on the list, but when i go to click ok to create the matrix it gives me this message. "Error 2147217900, Ambiguous column name "DepartmentID" and then it closes the matrix window and i lose everything that was added. Unsure why this is happeneing, any enlightenment would be great help! Thanks much, Matt Adams ##-----------------------------------------------## Newsgroup Access Courtesy http://www.rockryno.com/ Tax and Accounting Software ...

Creating a pop-up information window
Hi All, I'm working on a project for university and have come to a point i Excel where I'm a bit stuck. For the sake of clarity, I won't go int the exact details of what my spreadsheet is supposed to do, let me jus describe the basics in a more understandable way...... Suppose you have a worksheet that has, say, 10 small jpegs of variou makes of car and all the pictures are from the side. Now suppose yo have a button underneath each picture that says 'More Info?' on it What I want to be able to do is click any of the buttons and have window pop-up (a form?) that has fur...

creat an address list for mail merge
I am trying to creat an address lis for mail merge. Microsoft office publisher this operation cannot be completed because of dialog or data base engine failures please help. Also can not connect to the data source What version of Windows and Publisher are you using!!! Use a Spreadsheet and do a Save As CSV (Comma Separated Values) -- ...

Creating New SharePoint Site SBS 2003 R2
There are several questions here. We have SharePoint installed and we extensively use http://companyweb as our intranet site. We would like to create another http://companyweb intranet site. In SharePoint I can create a New SharePoint Site but the address would be, for example, http://companyweb/ mysite How can I make the above site address, for example, http://companyweb1 ? Is this considered a new Virtual Server? [I did not want to try this for fear it may affect our current company intranet site.] If this is possible, how do I create a link to http://companyweb1 on the ...

command line script for printing MS Excel 2000 document.
I am looking for a way to schedule an Excel Document to automatically print using the scheduled Tasks of Windows XP. I can't for the life of me figure out if a command line switch exists for doing such a thing, and was wondering if anyone has been able to do this. Thanks for your thoughts. Michael Stavropoulos buystuff@comcast.net ...

need a button for each row to create a graph for the data
hi, i'm hoping someone can help me as i dont have much of a clue about excel formula or macros. i have a table that contains the names of all the students in a class, the names of the tests and their score. over the year there are about 16 tests but to this point only 8 have been completed. the bottom row of the table contains the class average for the class Looks something like this: A B C D E F G H I J name test1 test2 test3 test4 test5 test6 test7 test8 joe 44 87 96 54 ...

Creating a list from a different worksheet
I would like to create a list in sheet 2 from data in sheet 1 but when I click create list and go to select the range it will not let me click on the tab for sheet 1 to select the required data. Could somebody point me in the right direction please? A list is a feature in xl2003 that allows you to edit that "table" easier. It doesn't allow you to create a separate table in a different worksheet. I like to think of it as an enhanced autofilter range. Maybe you could use the list (or autofilter) on the original sheet and then show the rows you want and copy those ...

Fix the Purchase Line Comment data fields in Report Writer
Table POP10550 contains Purchase Order Line Comments. When a comment is entered for a line on a PO, a record is written to this table, spread out over 5 fields: CMMTTEXT - contains the full text of the comment COMMENT_1 - contains the first 50 characters (or thereabouts) of the comment COMMENT_2 - contains the next 50 characters (or thereabouts) of the comment COMMENT_3 - contains the next 50 characters (or thereabouts) of the comment COMMENT_4 - contains the next 50 characters (or thereabouts) of the comment I say "or thereabouts" because the system is smart enough to break the...

grid lines #3
My Excel spreadsheets have a white background, black text and grey grid lines. If I change the background color of a few cells to highlight some data, then change it back to white, the grid lines disappear. Using FORMAT, CELLS, BORDERS, INSIDE seems to draw lines, not restore grid lines. Is there a way to restore the grid lines? Instead of white, change the cells back to "No Color". In article <c83301c438eb$e2891080$a101280a@phx.gbl>, "David McColloch" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > My Excel spreadsheets have a white background, ...