How to copy a formula without file reference

I have a spreadsheet with formulas lnking cells in different sheets o
the same file. When I copy this formula into another spreadsheet , i
retains the file reference thus  making it useless.

Eg. When this formula - (='Sheet 1'!S1420) - is copied to another fil
the formula changes as follows: ='[2006 Plan.xls]Sheet 1'!S1420, wher
"2006 Plan.XLS" is the file name of the first file.

I need to copy this formula to over 60 files running Excel 2000 o
Excel 2003.

Please help me with this issue.

Thanks,

Jij

--
jij
jijy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1504

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

jijy: What I have done to cirumvent this problem is to copy all the formulae
in this sheet, and then search and replace the filename with nothing.
For example, in your example, search for [2006 Plan.xls] and leave the
"Replace with" blank. This should do it.
Sukhjeet

"jijy" wrote:

> I have a spreadsheet with formulas lnking cells in different sheets of
> the same file. When I copy this formula into another spreadsheet , it
> retains the file reference thus  making it useless.
>
> Eg. When this formula - (='Sheet 1'!S1420) - is copied to another file
> the formula changes as follows: ='[2006 Plan.xls]Sheet 1'!S1420, where
> "2006 Plan.XLS" is the file name of the first file.
>
> I need to copy this formula to over 60 files running Excel 2000 or
> Excel 2003.
>
> Please help me with this issue.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jijy
>

> --
> jijy
> jijy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15042
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=400340

0
Sukhjeet (13)
8/30/2005 6:30:07 AM
jijy,

Since you're apparently copying the formula to the same cell location in the
other workbook (apparently, since it isn't changing the cell reference), you
might find that copying the text of the formula, rather than the entire cell
as an object, will work for you.  Select the text of the formula in the
formula bar and copy that (be sure to press Esc at this point to cancel your
edit of the source cell), then go to the target and paste it.  It will
paste, unchanged.  This is a literal copy/paste.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"jijy" <jijy.1uk9ua_1125378304.1007@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

> I have a spreadsheet with formulas lnking cells in different sheets of
> the same file. When I copy this formula into another spreadsheet , it
> retains the file reference thus  making it useless.
>
> Eg. When this formula - (='Sheet 1'!S1420) - is copied to another file
> the formula changes as follows: ='[2006 Plan.xls]Sheet 1'!S1420, where
> "2006 Plan.XLS" is the file name of the first file.
>
> I need to copy this formula to over 60 files running Excel 2000 or
> Excel 2003.
>
> Please help me with this issue.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jijy
>

> --
> jijy
> jijy's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15042
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=400340

0
someone798 (944)
8/30/2005 10:53:29 AM
If I have one formula to copy|paste, then I use Earl's technique.

But if I have lots of formulas to copy, I change my formulas to text, copy|paste
(as text), then change the text back to formulas.

In the original worksheet
select the range to copy
edit|replace
what: = (equal sign)
with: $$$$$=
replace all

Copy and paste to where I want

Then change them back:
Select the pasted range
edit|replace
what: $$$$$=
with: =
replace all

(In both the "sending" and "receiving" worksheets.)

jijy wrote:

> I have a spreadsheet with formulas lnking cells in different sheets of
> the same file. When I copy this formula into another spreadsheet , it
> retains the file reference thus  making it useless.
>
> Eg. When this formula - (='Sheet 1'!S1420) - is copied to another file
> the formula changes as follows: ='[2006 Plan.xls]Sheet 1'!S1420, where
> "2006 Plan.XLS" is the file name of the first file.
>
> I need to copy this formula to over 60 files running Excel 2000 or
> Excel 2003.
>
> Please help me with this issue.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jijy
>
> --
> jijy
> jijy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15042
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=400340

--

Dave Peterson
0

That's a good suggestion for en masse copy/pastes.  We need a "Paste
literal" added to paste special!  We also need a NUL value, and a million
other things.  I'd better not get started.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

> If I have one formula to copy|paste, then I use Earl's technique.
>
> But if I have lots of formulas to copy, I change my formulas to text,
> copy|paste
> (as text), then change the text back to formulas.
>
> In the original worksheet
> select the range to copy
> edit|replace
> what: = (equal sign)
> with: $$$$$=
> replace all
>
> Copy and paste to where I want
>
> Then change them back:
> Select the pasted range
> edit|replace
> what: $$$$$=
> with: =
> replace all
>
> (In both the "sending" and "receiving" worksheets.)
>
> jijy wrote:
>>
>> I have a spreadsheet with formulas lnking cells in different sheets of
>> the same file. When I copy this formula into another spreadsheet , it
>> retains the file reference thus  making it useless.
>>
>> Eg. When this formula - (='Sheet 1'!S1420) - is copied to another file
>> the formula changes as follows: ='[2006 Plan.xls]Sheet 1'!S1420, where
>> "2006 Plan.XLS" is the file name of the first file.
>>
>> I need to copy this formula to over 60 files running Excel 2000 or
>> Excel 2003.
>>
>> Please help me with this issue.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jijy
>>
>> --
>> jijy
>> jijy's Profile:
>> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15042
>> View this thread:
>> http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=400340
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
someone798 (944)

Here is fix for Windows file problems

lil help with "or" formula
I am trying to return a "false" value if there is text in cells E2:I2.. the only formula i have come up with so far is =OR(ISTEXT(E2),ISTEXT(F2),ISTEXT(G2),ISTEXT(H2),ISTEXT(I2)) but this returns the opposite value of what I want, it tells me "true" if there is text... any help???? Hi try: =IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(ISTEXT(E2:I2)),false,true) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Murph" <Murph@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4A8133F9-3E83-4369-A69E-763CD6E9D3F8@microsoft.com... > I am trying to return a "false" value i...

Fax Icon on my File menu and toolbar

Outlook receiving zip files

Reference Book
I'm a Win32 programmer, and I'm trying to get into some MFC. I've read a little about MFC, but the books lack a lot of quality and descriptive text about the structure of MFC. Can I ask whose book is the Charles Petzold of MFC? Thank you I haven't seen a bad MFC book in a long time, but then again, I haven't bought a new MFC book in many years. My presonal perference are the MFC books published by Wrox Press http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&isbn=1861000855&itm=31 You can't go wrong with the Microsoft Press ones either. Al...

Copy Toolbar
Can someone tell me if there is a way to copy a toolbar I created on my computer to another computer? Thanks for your help! --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ The toolbar settings are in the *.xlb file. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "HelpMe >" <<HelpMe.zmcsh@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:HelpMe.zmcsh@excelforum-nospam.com... > Can someone tell me if there is a way to copy a toolbar I created on my > computer to another computer? Thanks for your help! > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ > You...

unable to read file #7

SBS 2003 moving of users files

Importing AOL Email File Cabinet

Exporting contacts in a csv file

Publisher can not save file

Excel 2007 PC damages Mac Excel 2008 Files

Copy HYPERLINKS
I have about 200 entries in col a Some of these entries are hyperlinks to other locations I would like a macro to copy ONLY the hyperlinks from Col a to Col b Currently the hyperlinked items are interspaced over the entire col a, I would like to have all the hyperlinks moved to Col B one under the other with no spaces. Thanks Are they =HYPERLINK functions or Inserted hyperlinks?? -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200750 "pcor" wrote: > I have about 200 entries in col a > Some of these entries are hyperlinks to other locations > I would like a macro to copy ONLY the...

Help With Margin Formula