How to convert US date format to European

My computer is set up to use the European style dates (ddmmyyyy), not the
USA-style dates (mmddyyyy format). So if I enter "01/06/05" I get a date of
01-June-2005. However when I download some information in CSV format at
times that same date is formatted like this: "06/01/05". However this is
interpreted as 06-January-2005 in the spreadsheet. How can I convert the US
formatted values to European, in effect swapping the first two numbers?

Thanks

T Meisner

--
1025 Osborne Rd.,
New Germany, NS, Canada

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Rename the .csv file to .txt

File|open that .txt file
You'll see the text import wizard pop up and you can supply the data format you
want dmy or mdy or ydm or...

--

Dave Peterson
0

TMeisner

> Rename the .csv file to .txt
>
> File|open that .txt file
> You'll see the text import wizard pop up and you can supply the data
> format you
> want dmy or mdy or ydm or...
>

> TMeisner wrote:
>>
>> My computer is set up to use the European style dates (ddmmyyyy), not the
>> USA-style dates (mmddyyyy format). So if I enter "01/06/05" I get a date
>> of
>> 01-June-2005. However when I download some information in CSV format at
>> times that same date is formatted like this: "06/01/05". However this is
>> interpreted as 06-January-2005 in the spreadsheet. How can I convert the
>> US
>> formatted values to European, in effect swapping the first two numbers?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> T Meisner
>>
>> --
>> 1025 Osborne Rd.,
>> New Germany, NS, Canada
>> B0R 1E0
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

Conditional format #12
Hi. I am trying to set a conditional format. If NETWORKDAYS(A1,TODAY())> 3 I would like the cell to format with red shading. How do is set the formula in the condtional statement? I tried ="NETWORKDAYS(A1,TODAY())>3" , but this doesn't seem to work. Thanks, Mike. Hi Mike! It doesn't work because the NETWORKDAYS function is in another workbook (the Analysis ToolPak add-in). You can use a workaround by putting your condition in a separate cell (eg B1) and then referring to that cell: B1 =NETWORKDAYS(A1,TODAY()) Then your conditional format for A1 becomes:...

Problem with Date Manipulation
Okay.. Im not a kid, 36, been working with excel for years & last year did up to intermediate courses in Access. However, that being said because you guys are very keen in here, so I dont want to sound stupid, whilst my understanding on alot of excel is generally on the layman terms! Heres my problem. Im making a simple spreadsheet. I have a widget that enters my facility on one date, it then exits another. I know by setting up EXIT - ENTER = DAYS I have my duration in the facility. BUT---> I dont want the weekends to count as days! Material arrives every weekday & exits the...

Where is the Keep Text Formatting feature located in Word 07
I believe this Keep Text Formatting feature might be what I need, but I have been unable to locate exactly where it is located in Word 2007. I'm trying to rid a Word document sent to me of tables, text boxes, graphics and all other document formatting, while retaining the document's text content. It is unimportant to me whether the text formatting is retained or not. Thanks. Are you referring to a Keep Text Formatting feature in an earlier version of Word? I wonder whether what you're looking for is "Paste Unformatted," since you seem to be saying you _don...

formating color
hi i have a formating question. i have cells with number choices i them. for example the cell looks like this. 100, 105, 123, 041, 514, 455 now i want to go back and select one of these. i wanted to highligh the one that was chosen. but it will not let me. is there a way i ca do this? it will only allow me to highlight the entire cell, not jus parts of it. thank you in advanc -- RAPPE ----------------------------------------------------------------------- RAPPEL's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3624 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com...

How can I customize the Filter Drop down on the formatting toolbar
I want to clear everything out of it, except the customized filters I have created. Can i do that? Project > Filter by > More Filters, then select each one, Edit, and remove the checkbox for Show in Menu. - Andrew Lavinsky Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm > I want to clear everything out of it, except the customized filters I > have created. Can i do that? > I've tried that - it doesn't affect that drop down filter list - whether they are checked or not. "Andrew Lavinsky" wrote: > Project > Filter by > Mo...

UTC time to Central Time (US)
Hello. I need to convert UTC time to US Central Time Zone. The date is in one column and the time is in another below. A | B ---------------------------------- Date | Time ---------------------------------- 2005-10-24 | 12:15:00 I want to convert the Date and Time columns in UTC to a single Date and Time column in US Central Time. Thanks for any advice Assuming UTC is the same as GMT then the difference is 6 hours STD, so if the time is 06:00 AM it is 12:00 PM GMT, thus add 6 hours and since the y are all numbers just add =A1+B1+(6...

Calculating totals by month from whole date
I'm trying to figure out the proper calculation to pull totals by dat in Excel. Here's my problem: I have a workbook with 2 worksheets; one is the main data, the other i the statistics from the main data. Within the main data, there is column titled "date paid" and another column titled "total paid" (ther are a bunch more columns, but they don't matter for this problem). Th "date paid" column will contain dates such as 1/1/04, 5/15/04 etc. O the stats page, I have columns titled for each month of the year an would like each to include how much was pa...

Formatting
I received a pub doc from a third party. It was formatted as a 11x16 size. Once I decreased it to 8.5x11 and view the doc under 'print preview' the entirety of the image did not view. Basically, the image didn't shrink with the size. Any input? Patty wrote: > I received a pub doc from a third party. It was formatted as a 11x16 size. > Once I decreased it to 8.5x11 and view the doc under 'print preview' the > entirety of the image did not view. Basically, the image didn't shrink with > the size. Any input? Publisher doesn't resize the contents o...

Does Multi-Field Index Work For Date/Time Values Only
I created a MS-Access DB table with the following 3 columns: ColID - PRIMARY KEY Col1 - Number Col2 - Date/Time Next I created a multi-field index using Col1 & Col2. I entered the following row in the 1st row: 1 5/10/2007 Next when I tried to add the above row again, as expected, I wasn't allowed to enter the same row. Next I entered the following 2 rows: 1 5/11/2007 2 5/10/2007 Both the rows were accepted. After this I deleted the 3 records, went back to the design view & changed the data type of Col2 from Date/Time to Number keeping the multi-field index...

does US English MS CRM work with International English Office?
Is there any one who has this combination up and running? does it work ok? Microsoft says you must have the same language for Office and MS CRM they also say US English is a different language as International English thanks in advance for your reply Leo (Leor@dbs.nl) Dear Leo, Using the same language for Office is not compulsory. If you are using International English crm, you still can use Dutch Office xp. Importing customizations by using the deployment manager, which comes from another language crm system, will demolish your system. After the import, all your label fields will be g...

Formatting multiple object types in output from a function?
I'm stumped on this one, and have searched and searched for a solution or how-to with no luck. Perhaps it just can't be done. I have a function that may or may not return objects of multiple types. I've setup the type and formatting information for each of the individual types in format.ps1xml files, and when only 1 type is returned by the function the formatting works as I would expect. However, if two or more types are returned by the function, only the formatting for the first object type is applied and then the other types are displayed however PoSH deems ap...

Conditional Format #20
I see that I can only use 3 conditional formats. I need a few more than 3 is there any way to do this. Kevin Try this free add-in on Bob Phillips' website: http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.CFPlus.Download.html Another possibility (albeit limited) is to combine your conditional formats with custom formatting. See J.E. McGimpsey's site for an example: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/conditional6.html HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >I see that I can only use 3 conditional formats. I need a few more than 3 is >there any way to do this. > >Kev...

converting dates
Hi All I have a couple of excel problems to do with dates (Excel XP/2002). I have a formula that displays one date minus another and displays the answer as the number of days. Firstly, is it possible to convert the data to display as year and days (375 displays as 1 year and 10 days) as it displays as a decimal point when I divide by 365. Secondly does anyone know a formula that sorts out leap years (see above). Any help, suggestions or tutorial links greatly appreciated Rexmann As long as you assume 1 year is always 365 days =INT(A1/365)&" year(s) "&MOD(A1,365)&&q...

Can I display the current date in a text box?
I know how to display the current date in a cell, but can I display it in a text box? And how would I do that? You would have to have some code to load it, such as Textbox1.Text = Format(Date,"dd mmm yyyy") or link the texbox to a cell with the formula =TODAY() -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "stephiebrady" <stephiebrady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C78C4C78-C12C-4A8F-9121-E377ACAE3B5B@microsoft.com... > I know how to display the current date in a cell, but can I display it in a > text box? And ...

Is there any way to convert a pdf document into an excel document.
Is there any way to convert a pdf file into an excel document? ...

Use Datedif but for future dates
I have a formula for identifying years, months, days from a past date to now. DATEDIF(C6,NOW(),"y")&" Y, "& DATEDIF(C6,NOW(),"ym")& " M, " & DATEDIF(C6,NOW(),"md") & " D" I'd like a formula that can produce the same format (years, months, days) between now and a future date. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, Bart Hi Bart Try this with the date in A2 =IF(TODAY()<=A2,DATEDIF(TODAY(),A2,"Y") & " y " & DATEDIF(TODAY(),A2,"ym") & " m","-"&...

Advanced Find should let me search records between two dates
When searching the system for records, many times I need to search for records that came in between two dates. For instance, I would like to be able to pull all records input in CRM between March 1 and March 15. In 3.0 you can only query specific dates like "Last X days," "Last X Months," "On," "On or After," etc., but you cannot search the date fields between two dates. The functionality was available in 1.2 but is not available in 3.0. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the...

Sort search results by date
It would be nice if i could sort my search results in this forum by date. I would like to see my most recent questions at the top. -- Sheri Salomone THANKS! ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroup...

Conditional formatting / blank cells
Hello, I need help with a Conditional Format. This is my worksheet. Row 4 A B C D E F G H I $200 $210 I want a conditional format in G4 that states if G4 is greater than or equal to F4 the fill colour is green. If G4 is less than F4, the fill colour is red. If G4 is blank, the fill colour is white. I've tried numerous combinations, but cannot seem to get this to work. Thanks torkattack. Test for the blank first. -- David Biddulph "torkattack" <torkattack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

Excel could not save all the data and formatting you recently added
Hi, One of our users sent me an Excel file of 6 MiB. It has 7 worksheets. Most of them have <100 rows and AH columns, one sheet has 13160 rows and AH columns. The large sheet has autofilter enabled, but no actual filtering is done. (yet) 4 columns have validation: they allow a list of values specified in a range somewhere else in the sheet. There is also conditional formatting. It takes >30 seconds to calculate the sheet, however there are no real calculations, just a few concatenated string. My first impression is that this is yet another example of Excel (ab)used as a database. The p...

Auto insert of date
I'm trying to input some datas using preparedStatement and among those coiumns one column is of type "smalldatetime" i wish to input the current date and time at which i execute this query, how can i achieve this in JDBC or what is the sql query for this. I'm not sure if we're talking JET SQL or T-SQL or something else here? In JET SQL you want the Date() function, something like ... INSERT INTO Table1 ( TestDate ) SELECT Date() AS Expr1; If you're using T-SQL you want the GETDATE() function, something like ... INSERT INTO dbo.Table1 (Test...

PDF format pagination
I have several reports utilizing Landscape layout. I followed the Report Writers Guide from the SDK with the Width at 11 and Height 8.25 or smaller. However, when I export it to the PDF format, the layout shows up Portrait. How could I change this? The export is fine in Excel with the correct margin setup. Thanks. ...

Conditional formatting formula with multiple criteria
Hi all, Have been puzzling over this for a while now, and can't get it right! Using conditional formatting, I want to: If any of the cells in Column B are blank, and the cells in Column C are blank, and the date in Column D is less than todays date - 3 days, turn the cell bold and red Can someone please help? I have tried all different variations and just can't get it! Thanks, Kirstie Kirstie Your questions sound like you wish to pick up whether there is a blank ANYWHERE in column B AND (not or) ALL cells in column C are blank AND that the date in a single cell in colum...

CSV, Milliseconds default formatting of mm:ss.0
When I generate some CSV files I need to include milliseconds. When anyone opens the file in Excel (in my case part of Office 2003, SP2) the datetimes appear with a default formatting of mm:ss.0. This is frustrating and appears unprofessional on my part when clients open the file. They assume I have made some sort of mistake. I have already thought of generating using =DATE(blah)+TIME(blah)+millis/(24*60*60*1000) but I don't like the idea. How can I change the default format so that it would be something more sensible and my clients and I could avoid the drudgery of clicking on the...

Export to comma-delimited format doesn't seem to work
I apologize for the elementary question. I have an Excel spreadsheet which is simply a list of email addresses. I want to export them to a format allowing me to paste them into the "To" field of an email. (In case you're concerned, this is not unsolicited bulk commercial email). I've been able to export them to a .csv format, but it doesn't seem to have the commas, which confuses me and my email software. Any help will be much appreciated. -- Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com Free Articles on the Business of Web Development Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form...